Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,492 members, 7,819,795 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:41 PM

Nigerian Student Attempts Suicide In U.K As NDDC Backs Down On Scholarship - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Student Attempts Suicide In U.K As NDDC Backs Down On Scholarship (18880 Views)

FG Accused Of Abandoning Chibok Girls On Scholarship At American University Yola / FUTO Undergraduate Attempts Suicide By Jumping Into River / Kano Students On Scholarship Graduate From Egyptian University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Student Attempts Suicide In U.K As NDDC Backs Down On Scholarship by lexy2014: 10:20am On Mar 27, 2017
mejai:
lagoon spirit on rampage.
my thoughts exactly. thank God there wasn't a lagoon close by.on a serious note I can't imagine what d dude is going thru
Re: Nigerian Student Attempts Suicide In U.K As NDDC Backs Down On Scholarship by adewarley099(m): 10:21am On Mar 27, 2017
The victim is a Fool They take u abroad for free feed u for some time and now that the awuf money ain't coming u wanna commit suicide. Please go ahead. What happened to part time job there are lot of people there who school and have a part time job to support. Don't be lazy go out there and work

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Student Attempts Suicide In U.K As NDDC Backs Down On Scholarship by dokyOloye: 10:29am On Mar 27, 2017
Hope this boy isn't frustrated out of school,whereby he comes home and organises a pipe breaking squad who will return Nigeria's oil production to zero.
Make I know where Buhari go fit see money wey he go use go chill 4 London for 2months.
After all,he said he had only 1m in his acct.
Re: Nigerian Student Attempts Suicide In U.K As NDDC Backs Down On Scholarship by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 10:30am On Mar 27, 2017
SalamRushdie:
ISTANDWITHBUHAR even Nigerians on scholarship abroad are not left out rom the Buhari driven mass suicide ..

What are you still waiting for?
Re: Nigerian Student Attempts Suicide In U.K As NDDC Backs Down On Scholarship by Azumithal: 10:32am On Mar 27, 2017
RALPHOW:
ACTUALLY IT IS VERY WRONG FOR NDDC TO STOP THE PAYMENT.
HOWEVER THE GUY MUST BE VERY STUPID TO THINK OF COMMIT SUICIDE,
MANY OF US LAGOSIANS (YORUBAS) TRAVELED TO UK WITHOUT ANY SCHOLARSHIP (ONLY STUDENT VISA), WE WORKED AND PAY OUR SCHOOL FEES
HE MUST BE A VERY LAZY GUY, ANYWAY THAT IS THERE PROBLEM FROM THAT PART OF THE NIGERIA,
THEY NEVER LIKE WORK, MANY OF US DID SECURITY JOBS, JUST BE READING AND CHECK CCTV ONCE A WHILE IN THE NIGHT AND GO TO SCHOOL IN THE DAY.
SalamRushdie:

Learn to stop posting in caps

And to think he said he studied "hard" in the UK. So hard he feels entitled to disparage other Nigerians, because they are lucky and smart enough to get scholarships and he did not.... He should go back and learn a little harder, maybe then he can differentiate between "they're" and "there"

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Student Attempts Suicide In U.K As NDDC Backs Down On Scholarship by dokyOloye: 10:33am On Mar 27, 2017
adewarley099:
The victim is a Fool They take u abroad for free feed u for some time and now that the awuf money ain't coming u wanna commit suicide. Please go ahead. What happened to part time job there are lot of people there who school and have a part time job to support. Don't be lazy go out there and work
Most countries now are tightening those work issues.
As a foreigner, if U don't have a certain class of visa,U can't work and if som1 takes d risk of hiring U,it's usually a shitty job where they pay U far less than they should and U are also @ risk of arrest and deportation cos its an immigration offence.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Student Attempts Suicide In U.K As NDDC Backs Down On Scholarship by evexx1(f): 10:35am On Mar 27, 2017
Haba! They should pay sad

What an inconsiderate government.
Re: Nigerian Student Attempts Suicide In U.K As NDDC Backs Down On Scholarship by onyii255(m): 10:38am On Mar 27, 2017
RALPHOW:
MANY OF US LAGOSIANS (YORUBAS) TRAVELED TO UK WITHOUT ANY SCHOLARSHIP (ONLY STUDENT VISA), WE WORKED AND PAY OUR SCHOOL FEES
HE MUST BE A VERY LAZY GUY, ANYWAY THAT IS THERE PROBLEM FROM THAT PART OF THE NIGERIA,
THEY NEVER LIKE WORK, MANY OF US DID SECURITY JOBS, JUST BE READING AND CHECK CCTV ONCE A WHILE IN THE NIGHT AND GO TO SCHOOL IN THE DAY.

I wonder what course you were studying in the UK...

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Student Attempts Suicide In U.K As NDDC Backs Down On Scholarship by akinwole21: 10:44am On Mar 27, 2017
I am a beneficiary of the scholarship and I have a few things to say. I got the scholarship in 2013 and I am a doing a PhD program. The first year was good as payment was prompt and I managed to get my 10% discount from the University. Second year was not too bad, payment was delayed until about January 2015, by then I had lost the chance to claim my 10% discount. 3rd year was not so bad, I was able to claim the discount.

It baffles me when I hear scholars say they have not been paid, it is really sad and discouraging because to cope with the stress of a PhD and work is horrible. My PhD is lab based so I know what I am saying, the money is not enough for the program because once the tuition and bench fee have been paid you are left with barely enough money for 5 months, some do not even have the maintenance at all because of their high tuition, so you still need to work to pay for your bills. Imagine working to pay tuition and bills, also remember that in the UK, International students are only allowed to work for a maximum of 20 hours a week, so it is really a terrible situation to think about if you have to work for your tuition and bills. Also PhD students do not have holidays so you can not work full time at any point only if you take leave of absence for a short period of time. If you are on your own and do not have your spouse here working to support you or you do not get support from home and you have to do all of these, it is HARD.

I think NDDC needs to do something about this situation because it is unfair to leave people here unattended, they do not even bother if you are in school or not. We were told when we got the scholarship that we will have to be sending reports like quarterly or something just to monitor our progress which some other scholarship bodies do (PTDF). Did they ask for my progress all through my 3 years? NOPE!!! Even when I made attempt at the end of my second year I did not know how to go about so I just kept quiet about it. I only just got a monitoring mail last Friday asking me to provide transcript of my previous year of study or any other thing to show I am studying before close of day, I looked at the mail and smiled and I was thinking.... "Do they expect me to get that like ASAP".... and also to send any payment I have made on my own so I can be reimbursed.

Suicide is not the option for the guy in my opinion, I know life is tough and difficult but why take a life you can not create. I hope NDDC responds to the cries of scholars all over and make payments

RALPHOW:

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Student Attempts Suicide In U.K As NDDC Backs Down On Scholarship by DozieInc(m): 10:45am On Mar 27, 2017
DollarAngel:
Sentiment apart or Patriotism, Nigeria is failed Nation, most times I ask myself on what foundation was this nation built, I have found two answers egocentrism and ethnocentrism these two have given birth to corruption, nepotism, incompetent leaders and undevelopment
Meanwhile @BjDreamchaser(m), Please stay away from this post, Only intelligent and mentally sound folks should view it
You made a point.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Student Attempts Suicide In U.K As NDDC Backs Down On Scholarship by franfumu(f): 10:46am On Mar 27, 2017
NDDC is a big fraud. How on earth will you give scholarship. No visa fee paid, No school fees paid, No transportation to UK, No accommodation, No feeding allowance. This guy has really tried to pay for some of those before he runs out of cash. NSIMA EKERE is evil. NDDC is devilish.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Student Attempts Suicide In U.K As NDDC Backs Down On Scholarship by Nobody: 10:49am On Mar 27, 2017
Azumithal:

And to think he said he studied "hard" in the UK. So hard he feels entitled to disparage other Nigerians, because they are lucky and smart enough to get scholarships and he did not.... He should go back and learn a little harder, maybe then he can differentiate between "they're" and "there"

Where is the LOVE
Re: Nigerian Student Attempts Suicide In U.K As NDDC Backs Down On Scholarship by tragergeorge(m): 11:02am On Mar 27, 2017
SIRmanjar:

But wan olodo aboki man pikin wey get oil well dey skool abroad wit dem oyel money.
Nigeria's oil well OK? Cos na him papa get the well
Re: Nigerian Student Attempts Suicide In U.K As NDDC Backs Down On Scholarship by FreeSpirited: 11:09am On Mar 27, 2017
adewarley099:
Are you so foolish to understand from the post that he has never been paid maintenance or school fee

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Student Attempts Suicide In U.K As NDDC Backs Down On Scholarship by Ten06(m): 11:15am On Mar 27, 2017
NDDC Scholarship that GEJ gave to only his kingsmen as if they are the only ones from the Niger Delta
Re: Nigerian Student Attempts Suicide In U.K As NDDC Backs Down On Scholarship by Nobody: 11:22am On Mar 27, 2017
RALPHOW:

What ever advice you intended to give was drowned in the apparent hate conveyed by your tone. Anyone that can travel to UK and pay school fees in their own can almost certainly take care of themselves in crisis like this. Sometimes, you don't understand the problems people face until you come face to face with this same problems.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Student Attempts Suicide In U.K As NDDC Backs Down On Scholarship by iguita: 11:42am On Mar 27, 2017
My brother, it is now dangerous to be granted an all expense paid scholarship in Nigeria. It may just be another word for 'stranded'.
OfficialAwol:
Nigeria is just too funny to be called a country.

You placed people on scholarship and then you wake up one day and put a hold to it. Saner minds would seize taking in fresh candidates and see off the old ones before putting an end to the program. But naija got to be naija.

Maybe that student is a son of a fisherman in one Niger Delta Creek, with no where to turn to.

Oh what a country!
Re: Nigerian Student Attempts Suicide In U.K As NDDC Backs Down On Scholarship by SIRmanjar(m): 11:50am On Mar 27, 2017
tragergeorge:
Nigeria's oil well OK? Cos na him papa get the well
Hahaha..which nigeria oil?How many illegal miners up north dem don persecute?None,becos na northerns get am..How many land grabbers(omoniles) dem don arrest here for west?None,becos na we westerners get de land..So frend i repeat na dem oyel.
Re: Nigerian Student Attempts Suicide In U.K As NDDC Backs Down On Scholarship by toprealman: 12:27pm On Mar 27, 2017
UKBA should stop recognizing the scholarship board as a financial sponsors till things change.
Re: Nigerian Student Attempts Suicide In U.K As NDDC Backs Down On Scholarship by ExInferis(m): 12:52pm On Mar 27, 2017
But there's no lagoon in UK nah.
Re: Nigerian Student Attempts Suicide In U.K As NDDC Backs Down On Scholarship by Factual26: 1:19pm On Mar 27, 2017
This NDDC ppl sef...A bunch of incompetent people...When the awardees threaten to protest 2weeks ago, they hurryly did a disgraceful press release claiming that they have paid their scholars and people that haven't been paid are those yet to submit bank details!

Up till date NDDC has not paid 1 scholar they have scholarship over 7months ago.

Money approved and disbursed in the last budget.
Yet NDDC bosses prefer to buy luxury vehicles over funding education.
Re: Nigerian Student Attempts Suicide In U.K As NDDC Backs Down On Scholarship by travelpoint: 1:45pm On Mar 27, 2017
ebubelaila:
A student from the Niger-Delta region of Nigeria who is on scholarship in the United Kingdom, reportedly attempted suicide as the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC), who were supposed to fund his scholarship failed to keep their promise.

According to Twitter user, @ensydave, who alleged the incident occurred last night in Birmingham, the student whose photo will be made available soon, has been on debts, with no maintenance fee for almost a year. He also begged Silverbird group CEO and Nigerian Senator, Ben Murray Bruce, to raise awareness on the issue.

http://www.lailasblog.com/2017/03/nigerian-student-attempts-suicide-in-uk.html

Lalasticlala
Suicide because of school fee........ Funny
What do you want people living abroad illegally to do then?
Can't believe this story
Re: Nigerian Student Attempts Suicide In U.K As NDDC Backs Down On Scholarship by Factual26: 1:58pm On Mar 27, 2017
travelpoint:

Suicide because of school fee........ Funny
What do you want people living abroad illegally to do then?
Can't believe this story

You don't know his full story.
Re: Nigerian Student Attempts Suicide In U.K As NDDC Backs Down On Scholarship by FearFactor1: 2:27pm On Mar 27, 2017
RALPHOW:

Don't facing type in caps. It's facccked hk
Re: Nigerian Student Attempts Suicide In U.K As NDDC Backs Down On Scholarship by walton1(m): 2:42pm On Mar 27, 2017
it is so pathetic that the NDDC is playing with the lives of the scholars after 6 month nothing till now.
please lalatisca front page.
Re: Nigerian Student Attempts Suicide In U.K As NDDC Backs Down On Scholarship by Michael6292: 3:02pm On Mar 27, 2017
Can someone tell NDDC to go borrow a leaf from PTDF.
NDDC press release two weeks ago, stating that scholars whose tuition and mobilization fee has not been paid to provide personal international bank details before they'll receive their payment is laughable and a public show of shame and proves just how bias NDDC has become... how u go provide personal international account details when u still de Niaja..
Re: Nigerian Student Attempts Suicide In U.K As NDDC Backs Down On Scholarship by Nobody: 3:34pm On Mar 27, 2017
He thinks by simply writing/speaking English language is all that is required to prove the young lad studied hard in the UK. Colonial mentality. He also thinks getting scholarships in Nigeria to study abroad is all about being smart. This is 2017, 75% of people on scholarships in diaspora today are just average/below average students with parents or guardians that could bribe and easily slot their family members in the quota.
Azumithal:

Re: Nigerian Student Attempts Suicide In U.K As NDDC Backs Down On Scholarship by Ave(f): 3:35pm On Mar 27, 2017
That is because they obviously do not want to pay or the ROI from the scholarship money never reach them. When placing advert for the scholarship, why don't they include the clause that if you don't have money don't apply? After the whole process, scholars are yet to be paid, some cannot even afford to travel. Very soon, another advert will be out for this year's prospective scholars and the 2016 scholars are still waiting to get paid.
Re: Nigerian Student Attempts Suicide In U.K As NDDC Backs Down On Scholarship by generalwo24(m): 5:12pm On Mar 27, 2017
Home trouble at its peak....
Re: Nigerian Student Attempts Suicide In U.K As NDDC Backs Down On Scholarship by heo88(m): 5:23pm On Mar 27, 2017
OfficialAwol:
Nigeria is just too funny to be called a country.

You placed people on scholarship and then you wake up one day and put a hold to it. Saner minds would seize taking in fresh candidates and see off the old ones before putting an end to the program. But naija got to be naija.

Maybe that student is a son of a fisherman in one Niger Delta Creek, with no where to turn to.

Oh what a country!

You're right and it's a shame. Nigeria unfortunately has a track record for this type of behaviour; moreover this type of behaviour from officials/governments can be attributed to how 419 activity really began to grow. Without going into too much detail, after the oil crisis of 1973 which saw Nigeria's and other Arab states currencies increase in value, the economy was in a more promising shape, which led to a number of initiatives like the Nigerian government of the day financing a select number of students for scholarship programmes abroad.

Sadly, after the Shagari civilian interregnum was truncated by Buhari's coup, the government stopped honouring scholarship payments to students based abroad. Of course this gave rise to dismay and desperation; in some cases desperate students resorted to certain means of survival, of which 419-related schemes were thought up and executed.

My commiserations are with this particular student and I can only hope (for now) that the Nigeria can break this habit of withholding/delaying scholarship payments.
Re: Nigerian Student Attempts Suicide In U.K As NDDC Backs Down On Scholarship by heo88(m): 5:25pm On Mar 27, 2017
ebubelaila:
A student from the Niger-Delta region of Nigeria who is on scholarship in the United Kingdom, reportedly attempted suicide as the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC), who were supposed to fund his scholarship failed to keep their promise.

According to Twitter user, @ensydave, who alleged the incident occurred last night in Birmingham, the student whose photo will be made available soon, has been on debts, with no maintenance fee for almost a year. He also begged Silverbird group CEO and Nigerian Senator, Ben Murray Bruce, to raise awareness on the issue.

http://www.lailasblog.com/2017/03/nigerian-student-attempts-suicide-in-uk.html

Lalasticlala

This is a big shame. Nigeria unfortunately has a track record for this type of behaviour; moreover this type of behaviour from officials/governments can be attributed to how 419 activity really began to grow. Without going into too much detail, after the oil crisis of 1973 which saw Nigeria's and other Arab states currencies increase in value, the economy was in a more promising shape, which led to a number of initiatives like the Nigerian government of the day financing a select number of students for scholarship programmes abroad.

Sadly, after the Shagari civilian interregnum was truncated by Buhari's coup, the government stopped honouring scholarship payments to students based abroad. Of course this gave rise to dismay and desperation; in some cases desperate students resorted to certain means of survival, of which 419-related schemes were thought up and executed.

My commiserations are with this particular student and I can only hope (for now) that the Nigeria can break this habit of withholding/delaying scholarship payments.
Re: Nigerian Student Attempts Suicide In U.K As NDDC Backs Down On Scholarship by akigbemaru: 7:47pm On Mar 27, 2017
Make u no die ooo!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FG Relocates Fire Service School From Lagos To Osun / OAU Students Express Frustration Over Transcript Application Process / ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.