Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,678 members, 7,955,493 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 07:35 AM

Nigerian Student Attempts Suicide In U.K As NDDC Backs Down On Scholarship - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Student Attempts Suicide In U.K As NDDC Backs Down On Scholarship (19110 Views)

FG Accused Of Abandoning Chibok Girls On Scholarship At American University Yola / FUTO Undergraduate Attempts Suicide By Jumping Into River / Kano Students On Scholarship Graduate From Egyptian University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Re: Nigerian Student Attempts Suicide In U.K As NDDC Backs Down On Scholarship by OfficialAwol(m): 7:20am On Mar 28, 2017
heo88:

You're right and it's a shame. Nigeria unfortunately has a track record for this type of behaviour; moreover this type of behaviour from officials/governments can be attributed to how 419 activity really began to grow. Without going into too much detail, after the oil crisis of 1973 which saw Nigeria's and other Arab states currencies increase in value, the economy was in a more promising shape, which led to a number of initiatives like the Nigerian government of the day financing a select number of students for scholarship programmes abroad.

Sadly, after the Shagari civilian interregnum was truncated by Buhari's coup, the government stopped honouring scholarship payments to students based abroad. Of course this gave rise to dismay and desperation; in some cases desperate students resorted to certain means of survival, of which 419-related schemes were thought up and executed.

My commiserations are with this particular student and I can only hope (for now) that the Nigeria can break this habit of withholding/delaying scholarship payments.

Guys like you are those I want as friends. My contention Now, is that they should see off the ones they have started and seize taking in fresh candidates. Simple.

This act of theirs is surrounded by a picture of irresponsibility

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Student Attempts Suicide In U.K As NDDC Backs Down On Scholarship by Brightennn: 8:34pm On Jul 22
RALPHOW:
ACTUALLY IT IS VERY WRONG FOR NDDC TO STOP THE PAYMENT.
HOWEVER THE GUY MUST BE VERY STUPID TO THINK OF COMMIT SUICIDE,
MANY OF US LAGOSIANS (YORUBAS) TRAVELED TO UK WITHOUT ANY SCHOLARSHIP (ONLY STUDENT VISA), WE WORKED AND PAY OUR SCHOOL FEES
HE MUST BE A VERY LAZY GUY, ANYWAY THAT IS THERE PROBLEM FROM THAT PART OF THE NIGERIA,
THEY NEVER LIKE WORK, MANY OF US DID SECURITY JOBS, JUST BE READING AND CHECK CCTV ONCE A WHILE IN THE NIGHT AND GO TO SCHOOL IN THE DAY.

Please how can i apply for a student visa?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

UNILORIN To Resume Academic Activities January 11 / FG Relocates Fire Service School From Lagos To Osun / See Senate’s Motion On LAUTECH Strike (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.