Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,949 members, 7,824,978 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 10:24 PM

ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat (18890 Views)

No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis / ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking / ASUU Strike: Lecturers Map Out Strategies To Survive Fg’s ‘no Work No Pay’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by Brimmie(m): 1:40am On Aug 26, 2013
The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has said the Federal Government’s threat to implement its ‘no-work, no-pay’ policy cannot stop its ongoing strike.

The union described the policy as an “obsolete familiar threat”.

In a statement yesterday, titled: ASUU: On Government’s Threat of No-Work, No-Pay, by its Chairman of the University of Ibadan (UI) chapter, Dr Olusegun Ajiboye, said members of the union have resolved to pursue the strike.

The statement said ASUU members are using the action to defend the integrity of the university system in Nigeriaand save it from universal mockery.

Dr Ajiboye said the minimum funding requirement for public universities this year is N500 billion and not N100 billion, as being touted by the Federal Government.

The union leader added that anything short of this is unacceptable to the union.

He said the Federal Government’s N100 billion offer showed that the government “is just begging the matter”, because the money is like a drop in the ocean.

According to him, no blackmail will break the ongoing strike.

“The academics remain resolute on this struggle ,” Dr Ajiboye said.

On government’s N100 billion fund for the universities, the union leader noted that “this is just the beginning; the government is just starting”.

He added: “Going by the ASUU agreement of 2009 and theMemorandum of Agreement (MoU) signed by the Federal Government in January 2013, the minimum funding requirement for the universities as at 2013 is N500 billionand not N100 billion. Only the provision of this will meet the immediate needs of addressing the rot and decay in the public universities. Anything short of this is not acceptable to the union.

“Therefore, rather than engage in cheap blackmail and unworkable threat, the government should address the issues on the table.”

Source: The Nation
http://thenationonlineng.net/new/ASUU-rebuffs-govts-no-work-no-pay-threat/

1 Like

Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by ujchief(m): 5:20am On Aug 26, 2013
Hmm...

1 Like

Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by sunday478(m): 5:38am On Aug 26, 2013
The want to secure their source of supply

Am improving, am wetin for the time I will be number one on FP

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by destino24(m): 7:00am On Aug 26, 2013
“obsolete familiar threat”

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by dedarkman(m): 7:08am On Aug 26, 2013
Make we see how long they will stay without payment

4 Likes

Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by zibi2(m): 7:15am On Aug 26, 2013

4 Likes

Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by texazzpete(m): 7:28am On Aug 26, 2013
100% in support of ASUU here. I've found that only people of subpar intelligence support the FG in this. We have accepted the poor state of security in Nigeria, the rampant corruption and the rising theft of crude oil in the creeks. Accepting the demise of our University system would be the last straw.

Until a situation arises where a 1st class graduate will choose lecturing over working as a cashier in Zenith Bank, this struggle must continue.

45 Likes

Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by awodman: 8:51am On Aug 26, 2013
texazzpete: 100% in support of ASUU here. I've found that only people of subpar intelligence support the FG in this. We have accepted the poor state of security in Nigeria, the rampant corruption and the rising theft of crude oil in the creeks. Accepting the demise of our University system would be the last straw.

Until a situation arises where a 1st class graduate will choose lecturing over working as a cashier in Zenith Bank, this struggle must continue.

Abeg stop all this evoking of sentiments you guys use..the truth is that if FG releases the N87 billion for earned allowances this strike will stop instantly..

19 Likes

Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by idamokoemmanuel(m): 9:16am On Aug 26, 2013
Wot is wrong wit ASUU.. They shud consider the student that are at home since because of their selfish interest......

5 Likes

Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by Demdem(m): 9:16am On Aug 26, 2013
destino24: “obsolete familiar threat”

Good one from ASUU. I expect them to squeeze FG balls the more. The money is surely there. Our educational sector will surely see better days.

9 Likes

Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by Nobody: 9:33am On Aug 26, 2013
Goodluck.... Bring us goodluck!
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by kennyonthrone(m): 9:35am On Aug 26, 2013
Cybertooth: Goodluck.... Bring us goodluck!
patience.....Patience bring us patience
Lol no Goodluck witout d'shepopotamus Patience

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by lincolnj88: 9:36am On Aug 26, 2013
This strike is turning political....all they want is thier earned allowance nothing more...dis man is just speaking out of selfishness....just stop deceiving urself

6 Likes

Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by imsuboi(m): 9:36am On Aug 26, 2013
whatever

undecided
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by Appliedmaths(m): 9:37am On Aug 26, 2013
grin now this is the part of the movie I find very interesting . *grabs a bottle a coke and a bag of pop corn* cheesy
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by nerodenero: 9:38am On Aug 26, 2013
Demdem:

Good one from ASUU. I expect them to squeeze FG balls the more. The money is surely there. Our educational sector will surely see better days.
Yes, you are right but I pray ASUU is not fighting of his pocket alone.NLC subsidy's strike readily comes to mind.

The union described the policy as an “obsolete familiar threat”.
ASUU is used to this, no thanks to OBJ.
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by EverestdeBliu(m): 9:39am On Aug 26, 2013
O Goodluck,d son of Jonathan,Patience's lover n husband,d father of some lil' kids,d GCFR of Nigeria n d chief executive manager of Nigerian resources,even frm ur pocket i'm quite sure u can dish out d 97billion been demanded by d ailing tertiary institutions-d ASUU people.if we dnt get back 2 school,how will u actuallise ur vision 20:20:20 (whatever it means to u)...just 7yrs left u knw.b wise GEJ n PEJ,n act fast.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by lincolnj88: 9:39am On Aug 26, 2013
texazzpete: 100% in support of ASUU here. I've found that only people of subpar intelligence support the FG in this. We have accepted the poor state of security in Nigeria, the rampant corruption and the rising theft of crude oil in the creeks. Accepting the demise of our University system would be the last straw.

and u dont know that the nigeria universities are the most corrupt institutions in the country......and dis is caused by the academic staff demselves....

10 Likes

Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by Burger01(m): 9:41am On Aug 26, 2013
NOw, the loggerhead has started proper. When two elephants fight, it is the grass that suffers. My dear grasses (students angry) do engage in part-time jobs, studies, vocational trainings or preferably sit for professional exams in your respective fields rather than just idle away...

Goodluck to the elephants and goodluck to the grasses sad

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by Demdem(m): 9:41am On Aug 26, 2013
lincolnj88: This strike is turning political....all they want is thier earned allowance nothing more...dis man is just speaking out of selfishness....just stop deceiving urself

What is political in asking the FG to fulfill their part of agreement they voluntarily entered to?
Has ASUU added any demand to this said agreement?
Do u even know the full details of this agreement?
Nothing is political here, they simply want the FG to be responsive to their promise. I think this is in order.

6 Likes

Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by tomzman: 9:41am On Aug 26, 2013
It seems these guys are ready for a showdown with FG. Well let's see how this ends.
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by bionicdude(m): 9:44am On Aug 26, 2013
my only issue is they should call it off soon.all this other news is just stories
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by onyxo76(m): 9:46am On Aug 26, 2013
way to go ASUU....
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by 4reigningqueen: 9:47am On Aug 26, 2013
ggg
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by Demdem(m): 9:47am On Aug 26, 2013
nerodenero: Yes, you are right but I pray ASUU is not fighting of his pocket alone.NLC subsidy's strike readily comes to mind.

ASUU is used to this, no thanks to OBJ.

Part of the agreement they signed includes clauses that affect their allowances but I tell u that the bulk of the agreement boils down to improved infrastructures for our Universities.
The same govt that has spent trillions over the years for the NASS suddenly can't invest billions on our universities claiming there is no money. Only fools will buy such rubbish. Infact, I prefer our doctors and professors to be well paid than those theives.

ASUU isnt asking for more than the implementation of signed agreement.

6 Likes

Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by unmask: 9:47am On Aug 26, 2013
Good one from ASUU.....and for those of you clamouring to end the strike, just so you can resume the shit work you are being taught I believe you should have a rethink......any sane person in any public university knows what goes on in most of these universities.....and if the fear is in the corrupt practices of the lecturers, let the government implement their demands, then give their own demands as regards corruption in universities......that way we kill 2 birds with no stone

1 Like

Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by Demdem(m): 9:50am On Aug 26, 2013
lincolnj88: and u dont know that the nigeria universities are the most corrupt institutions in the country......and dis is caused by the academic staff demselves....

Are u saying that our universities are much more corrupt than NDDC, NNPC , NASS etc. I don't think u are making sense here.
Am also not saying that some unis aren't corrupt.
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by Nobody: 9:54am On Aug 26, 2013
That's infringing on workers' right. Nonsense threat.
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by Demdem(m): 9:54am On Aug 26, 2013
Burger01: NOw, the loggerhead has started proper. When two elephants fight, it is the grass that suffers. My dear grasses (students angry) do engage in part-time jobs, studies, vocational trainings or preferably sit for professional exams in your respective fields rather than just idle away...

Goodluck to the elephants and goodluck to the grasses sad

I agree with u. I was also affected when I was in Ife. Infact before I entered and maticulated, I had already lost a session. Matrices number was a year late.
However what must be done must be done. Our unis aren't in good shape and our govt is delibrately hindering the wheel of progress.
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by jhydebaba(m): 9:55am On Aug 26, 2013
The fight still continues shocked Oh Jah! How long more before I graduate from this UNIPETROL

1 Like

Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by GenWOJUOLA(m): 9:56am On Aug 26, 2013
Wait oooo, inside all this billions, how much be my own? Cos i don tire to dey hear billion billion for this country walahi, every d1ck tom and harry just dey call d billion as if na kobo kobo
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by Nobody: 9:58am On Aug 26, 2013
These lecturers talk like they are striking in the interest of the education system in general.
If the government gives them the 500 billion naira they are striking for, they won't do anything with it.
Dear Nigerian Lecturers and university academic staff.
What have you all done with the little funding you have been receiving from the government all the while? If we can't trust you with little, why should we trust with something big?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Jim Ovia Foundation Scholarship Program. / OAU Students Express Frustration Over Transcript Application Process / FG Relocates Fire Service School From Lagos To Osun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.