Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,824 members, 7,810,167 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:20 PM

My Car Makes This Loud Noise When I Start The Engine? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Car Makes This Loud Noise When I Start The Engine? (2940 Views)

7 Components To Check If A Car Makes A Whining Sound When Accelerating / Why Is Your Car Making Noise When Reversing? / Help My Kia Cerato Is Making Unusual Noise When I Shift The Gear Stick (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Car Makes This Loud Noise When I Start The Engine? by bigass(f): 11:52am On Mar 28, 2017
it only does it mainly in the morning after its been sitting for awhile. but after a while it stops. i use 5W-20 oil
Re: My Car Makes This Loud Noise When I Start The Engine? by jerryunit48: 12:09pm On Mar 28, 2017
Am not a mechanic but it is probably the fan belt and it isn't expensive really but ask a mechanic

1 Like

Re: My Car Makes This Loud Noise When I Start The Engine? by kingkaspa: 12:12pm On Mar 28, 2017
Did you change any of the valves recently? I had same issue with my camry recently
Re: My Car Makes This Loud Noise When I Start The Engine? by bigass(f): 12:21pm On Mar 28, 2017
Just an oil change. recently bought the car.
Re: My Car Makes This Loud Noise When I Start The Engine? by kingkaspa: 3:09pm On Mar 28, 2017
It is either the filter, oil pump or a valve that gets stuck. Get a good mechanic to check it out. I had same issue, if I leave the car overnight or 10 hours and above it makes a rattling noise for about 30 secs to 1 minute. Initially they said it was the timing chain, we changed that and the problem was not solved. To cut the story short, it was one of the valves that worned out and get stuck when the engine cools down. Get a good mechanic that knows what he is doing so that you don't spend money like I did. Since you just changed the oil, check the filter and check the oil level to ensure there is no leakage.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Car Makes This Loud Noise When I Start The Engine? by Nobody: 7:56pm On Mar 28, 2017
What car are we talking about here? It may be relatively normal for some cars at higher mileages.
Re: My Car Makes This Loud Noise When I Start The Engine? by sultaan(m): 5:16am On Mar 29, 2017
kingkaspa:
It is either the filter, oil pump or a valve that gets stuck. Get a good mechanic to check it out. I had same issue, if I leave the car overnight or 10 hours and above it makes a rattling noise for about 30 secs to 1 minute. Initially they said it was the timing chain, we changed that and the problem was not solved. To cut the story short, it was one of the valves that worned out and get stuck when the engine cools down. Get a good mechanic that knows what he is doing so that you don't spend money like I did. Since you just changed the oil, check the filter and check the oil level to ensure there is no leakage.

This kind of statement should be ignored, that condition is disastrous,compared to OP minor issue

Focus on the small things first in this case it should be the drive belt(s)

Press the belt in the middle with your finger if it deflects by more than 1.5 inches it means it has stretched and that is why it slips.

In the morning have the bonnet open stand in front and watch the engine while someone else start the car then you can pinpoint the source of the noise

1 Like

Re: My Car Makes This Loud Noise When I Start The Engine? by Rupect: 5:54am On Mar 29, 2017
It's the fan belt. Ask your mechanic to tighten it.
Re: My Car Makes This Loud Noise When I Start The Engine? by kingkaspa: 7:10am On Mar 29, 2017
sultaan:

This kind of statement should be ignored, that condition is disastrous,compared to OP minor issue

Focus on the small things first in this case it should be the drive belt(s)

Press the belt in the middle with your finger if it deflects by more than 1.5 inches it means it has stretched and that is why it slips.

In the morning have the bonnet open stand in front and watch the engine while someone else start the car then you can pinpoint the source of the noise
just stating what I went through, it may or may not apply to the the OP.

2 Likes

Re: My Car Makes This Loud Noise When I Start The Engine? by timifakay(m): 8:45am On Apr 05, 2017
bigass:

it only does it mainly in the morning after its been sitting for awhile. but after a while it stops. i use 5W-20 oil
What's RPM when making this noise?
If check engine light or MIL is on contact me to get it scanned.
Re: My Car Makes This Loud Noise When I Start The Engine? by DECOtech(m): 12:02pm On Apr 05, 2017
bigass:

-Are you saying the engine revs high on morning start ups or is there a different noise?
-How can you describe this noise, can you record and post the noise here for us to hear?

Regards.
Re: My Car Makes This Loud Noise When I Start The Engine? by Connoisseur(m): 12:43am On Apr 06, 2017
You know I just resolved a similar issue just this evening.
I used to have this metal cracking noise in the mornings when I start the car,the technician found out the engine bottom plate took a hit which affected the pump. The noise I hear was the pump stressing itself to circulate oil to the whole engine.
The bottom plate was taken down, straightened and am pull change was done, the car became good as new.
It might not be the same with yours but it's worth checking out.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Car Makes This Loud Noise When I Start The Engine? by candygebsslim: 7:54am On May 09, 2017
My 2005 Toyota Camry does the same thing. In the morning it revs up to 2000 rpm then comes down gently to about 850 in 3mins. quote author=DECOtech post=55284012]

-Are you saying the engine revs high on morning start ups or is there a different noise?
-How can you describe this noise, can you record and post the noise here for us to hear?

Regards. [/quote]
Re: My Car Makes This Loud Noise When I Start The Engine? by DECOtech(m): 11:26am On May 15, 2017
Normal
candygebsslim:
My 2005 Toyota Camry does the same thing. In the morning it revs up to 2000 rpm then comes down gently to about 850 in 3mins. quote author=DECOtech post=55284012]

Regards.

(1) (Reply)

What Kinda Tyre Is This? / Changing Ones Car Paint: The Procedure!! / Documenting My Experience Visiting Radautoworks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.