Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,681 members, 7,809,582 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:37 AM

Falana Defends Motorist Whose Car Was Burnt By VIS - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Falana Defends Motorist Whose Car Was Burnt By VIS (19833 Views)

Ifeanyi Ejiofor Returns Home 1 Month After His House Was Burnt (Photos, Video) / Reno Omokri Searching For Onitsha Trader Whose Shop Was Burnt In The Market Fire / Nobody Was Burnt, It Was Okada That Got Burnt. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Falana Defends Motorist Whose Car Was Burnt By VIS by akinszz: 5:46am On Mar 29, 2017
A Lagos -based human rights lawyer , Femi Falana , has backed a motorist , Oluwadamilare Afolarin , whose car was burnt on the premises of the Lagos State Vehicle Inspection Service .

Falana , a Senior Advocate of Nigeria , described the treatment of the victim by the VIS director , Gbolahan Toriola , as unfair and unjust, calling for compensation for Afolarin .

He threatened that if the government did not buy the victim a new car , including compensating him for the maltreatment in seven days , he would sue for damages .

PUNCH Metro had reported that the 42 - year- old man ’s car was impounded by the Eti- Osa office of the VIS over a cracked windscreen .

He was fined N 80 ,000 for the offence on the grounds that he also didn ’t have any vehicle document , although the victim tendered a government -approved car registration document .

About two weeks later, while he prepared to pay the fine into the agency ’ s account , he was reported to have been called by one Akeem , who asked him to proceed to the Ojodu Berger office of the VIS where he was later told that his car had been burnt .

Our correspondent reported that Akeem offered Afolarin N 200,000 and later took him to the director ’ s office at Alausa .

The director , Toriola , after a closed- door meeting with Akeem , allegedly assaulted Afolarin and accused him of sneaking into the VIS premises to burn the car.
Toriola allegedly ordered that his shoes and phone be seized , while he should be taken to the Ogombo Police Division , where he was detained for three days .

The victim was said to have been released after he was forced to sign an undertaking not to report the case to the press or post it on the social media .

PUNCH Metro reported that the state ministry of transportation set up a panel to look into the case .
The state Acting Commissioner for Transportation , Anofi Elegushi , had confirmed the development and promised to update our correspondent as the event unfolded .

However , Falana , who had taken over the case pro bono , said the government must buy Afolarin a new car .

Falana said , “ We are writing them to buy him a new car and pay for damages for the humiliation meted out to him because he was beaten up, slapped and detained illegally in a police cell . His vehicle was alleged to have been burnt in their custody; either they set fire to the vehicle or it got burnt accidentally , they are liable .

“ How can they say that he burnt the vehicle on their premises ; a premises guarded by policemen ? They cannot maintain that because it is illogical and that explanation is not acceptable . We are giving them one week and if they fail to accede to his demand , we are going to court . We will sue for damages to the tune of N 100m. ”

http://punchng.com/falana-defends-motorist-whose-car-was-burnt-by-vis/

22 Likes

Re: Falana Defends Motorist Whose Car Was Burnt By VIS by Nobody: 5:54am On Mar 29, 2017
Wow, the man is blessed, new car and cash awaiting

Meanwhile somewhere in Europe grin

33 Likes

Re: Falana Defends Motorist Whose Car Was Burnt By VIS by Nobody: 5:57am On Mar 29, 2017
Wonderful...The rate of lawlessness by institutions of law and order are just mindbogglingly.

Dem think say nah Judge Dredd film ni?

Thank God for the likes of Falana else the common man has got no voice.

26 Likes

Re: Falana Defends Motorist Whose Car Was Burnt By VIS by chriskosherbal(m): 5:58am On Mar 29, 2017
Thank you falana.

6 Likes

Re: Falana Defends Motorist Whose Car Was Burnt By VIS by Pray(m): 6:00am On Mar 29, 2017
God bless baba falz for this. Imagine d kind of humiliation the man must have been through! VIS director should be sacked with immediate effect.

12 Likes

Re: Falana Defends Motorist Whose Car Was Burnt By VIS by yomi007k(m): 6:04am On Mar 29, 2017
cheesy

God bless daddy falz d badt guy.

4 Likes

Re: Falana Defends Motorist Whose Car Was Burnt By VIS by freeze001(f): 6:08am On Mar 29, 2017
Oh dear! For the first time (I think), I am sorely tempted to use the zoo appellation because it suits this incident to a tee!

What kind of lawless and wicked beasts and animals occupy offices in this zoo? From the No.1 downwards..all feral, blod-thirsty and heartless predators seeking whom to devour! Lies and propaganda all over the place yet the victim is forced to sign an undertaking that he will not cry out loud! What is this?! cry

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Falana Defends Motorist Whose Car Was Burnt By VIS by profhezekiah: 6:08am On Mar 29, 2017
This country is just a joke

2 Likes

Re: Falana Defends Motorist Whose Car Was Burnt By VIS by samcodin(m): 6:11am On Mar 29, 2017
Even LASTMAN are the worst collecting illegal and outrageous fines from motorist and the money collected goes into their private pockets. Touts hiding under government to perpetrate evil. If not for Barr. Falana, SAN that man would have been silently oppressed and caged. Hundreds of cases like this are taking place in Lagos State without the knowledge of anybody. It wasn't as bad as this under the military era. Are we truly in a democratic setting. God bless you Oga Falana.

12 Likes

Re: Falana Defends Motorist Whose Car Was Burnt By VIS by alienvirus: 6:12am On Mar 29, 2017
Inhumanity against human. Sometimes you wonder if these governmental agencies are possessed by demons.

Thanks Falana for standing for the less privileged rights.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Falana Defends Motorist Whose Car Was Burnt By VIS by kYjelly2: 6:15am On Mar 29, 2017
Omo, it's remaining to kill someone oooo

Like wtf

If it was me, I may have lost my cool yo! Imagine such rubbish

All these agencies are just useless men, my car burnt in ur office, still you arrest me

Meeen, I can never take it, never ever angry

6 Likes

Re: Falana Defends Motorist Whose Car Was Burnt By VIS by kYjelly2: 6:22am On Mar 29, 2017
freeze001:
Oh dear! For the first time (I think), I am sorely tempted to use the zoo appellation because it suits this incident to a tee!

What kind of lawless and wicked beasts and animals occupy offices in this zoo? From the No.1 downwards..all feral, blod-thirsty and heartless predators seeking whom to devour! Lies and propaganda all over the place yet the victim is forced to sign an undertaking that he will not cry out loud! What is this?! cry

Just imagine that shh luv

In this country, you must have money to fight your battles, cause there is never a shortage of enemies.

How much is min wage that they would even be fining someone 80k?

In the U.S, if you get stopped without registration, you can quickly go do it the next day to have your fine slashed or totally waived.

Here they are charging 80k when min wage is 18k, then on top of that, you burn the car

Those officials are lucky that the dude is not a "guy man", if not, fvck all these civil shh like lawsuits, it would have been a group of thugs accosting the bastards at undisclosed locations for vengeance,mtcheew undecided

22 Likes

Re: Falana Defends Motorist Whose Car Was Burnt By VIS by sisisioge: 6:25am On Mar 29, 2017
Good! Awon wereeys!
Re: Falana Defends Motorist Whose Car Was Burnt By VIS by kYjelly2: 6:29am On Mar 29, 2017
It can be so frustrating at times owning a car in Nigeria.

Just this past Sunday, I was pulled over by those new 112 squad cars along lekki epe expressway.

They just came down and started searching my whole car. I kept asking them, what is my offence

They said they were mandated to stop and search.

What kind of b.s is that

How can you just be stopping cars randomly, who does that

So you can't pull over drivers driving on the wrong lane, those using cell phones, those driving one way, those buses stopping in the middle of the road causing accidents...

Instead, you pull over someone driving legally within his lane, using all appropriate turn signals when changing lanes, all for what To search my car

These guys are all useless.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Falana Defends Motorist Whose Car Was Burnt By VIS by jejemanito: 6:40am On Mar 29, 2017
lipsrsealed
Re: Falana Defends Motorist Whose Car Was Burnt By VIS by SalamRushdie: 6:44am On Mar 29, 2017
The VIS is nothing but a bunch of extortionist thugs with nothing to offer

2 Likes

Re: Falana Defends Motorist Whose Car Was Burnt By VIS by Young03(m): 7:00am On Mar 29, 2017
Wickedness n evil

3 Likes

Re: Falana Defends Motorist Whose Car Was Burnt By VIS by emeijeh(m): 9:36am On Mar 29, 2017
Ok.
Re: Falana Defends Motorist Whose Car Was Burnt By VIS by bitingcool: 9:36am On Mar 29, 2017
Yes
This is the Nigeria I pray to see. Where institutions are queried for ineptitude and ineffectiveness. I was expecting a smart lawyer to take up this case pro bono. How else can a lawyer announce his name in a big way than this?

Thank God Falana is in already

In the future Nigeria, Nepa will be charged to court , a big man will be unable to bully or bribe his way out of any mess cos a good structure, social media, account tracing and science and technology will beat him hands down

Lawyers should look at opportunities in these cases... if u ever want to make something out of your degree...ask keyamo

6 Likes

Re: Falana Defends Motorist Whose Car Was Burnt By VIS by koolcat: 9:37am On Mar 29, 2017
Jeffboi:
Wow, the man is blessed, new car and cash awaiting

Meanwhile somewhere in Europe grin
SEE AS MESSI RESEMBLE GERRARD BUTLER #Olympus/LondonHasFallen
#GodsOfEgypt
Re: Falana Defends Motorist Whose Car Was Burnt By VIS by abumeinben(m): 9:38am On Mar 29, 2017
angry

I still don't understand how and why a team of oldies and laddy confusionists, in waiters' outfits, stationed by their road unworthiness, yellow and black striped painted danfo bus be disturbing a car owner just because the car headlamp is a bit cracked.
Re: Falana Defends Motorist Whose Car Was Burnt By VIS by Acetyl(m): 9:41am On Mar 29, 2017
This is the kind of injustice we should be fighting for not one junk journalist trying to make end means .Looking for highest bidder here and there.
Re: Falana Defends Motorist Whose Car Was Burnt By VIS by enigma2007(m): 9:41am On Mar 29, 2017
kYjelly2:

Just this past Sunday, I was pulled over by those new 112 squad cars along lekki epe expressway.

They just came down and started searching my whole car. I kept asking them, what is my offence

What kind of b.s is that

So you can't pull over drivers driving on the wrong lane, those using cell phones, those driving one way, those buses stopping in the middle of the road causing accidents...

Instead, you pull over someone driving legally within his lane, using all appropriate turn signals when changing lanes, all for what To search my car

Ehya! Sorry o!

I have also maintained that the powers given to Nigerian law enforcement officers are way too much... We seriously need to review the constitution of this country. Lot of frivolities and vague powers that people in power can interpret to cheat and get away without any consequence(s)!

4 Likes

Re: Falana Defends Motorist Whose Car Was Burnt By VIS by Ishilove: 9:42am On Mar 29, 2017
Made in Nigeria madness.
Re: Falana Defends Motorist Whose Car Was Burnt By VIS by buffalowings: 9:45am On Mar 29, 2017
kYjelly2:

What kind of b.s is that

kyjelly

love your username
the memories
grin

2 Likes

Re: Falana Defends Motorist Whose Car Was Burnt By VIS by UltraLeslie1: 9:48am On Mar 29, 2017
kYjelly2:

What kind of b.s is that

Only the Nigeria police stop cars for no reason other than to witch-hunt and look for money.

Police all over the world can only stop for a bona fide reason of reckless driving, failure to use signals, missing vehicles and or positivity identified suspect, or missing head/taillamps

Nigerian demons in uniform set out each and every day with a specific sum in mind. So they stop cars randomly for no fault and ask, "what's in your boot?" as a preamble to ask for vehicle papers...

Bunch of uniformed thieves.

5 Likes

Re: Falana Defends Motorist Whose Car Was Burnt By VIS by ElsonMorali: 9:51am On Mar 29, 2017
Please VIO come and burn my own car too. embarassed

I'm at Maryland now heading towards Ikeja.

Please VIO, epp me cry cry I need a new car too.

3 Likes

Re: Falana Defends Motorist Whose Car Was Burnt By VIS by donbuchi1(m): 9:52am On Mar 29, 2017
Lawlessness and rascality...
Re: Falana Defends Motorist Whose Car Was Burnt By VIS by Emassive(m): 9:54am On Mar 29, 2017
So you just woke up to your responsibility as a SAN. Those VIS and mainly Lagos state officials are arrogantly disrespectful to it citizens unless you are a Soldier or Policamen. Useless people

1 Like

Re: Falana Defends Motorist Whose Car Was Burnt By VIS by Btruth: 9:56am On Mar 29, 2017
Any link to Falana house? I needed to hire him against the FRSC, Ijebu-ode branch.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Labaran Maku Spotted At APGA Rally In Anambra / Magu Failed To Submit EFCC Audited Accounts For Four Years / I Didn’t Know About Stella’s Tummy Tuck That Turned Tragic – Obasanjo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.