Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,498 members, 7,812,543 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:04 PM

How's Life In Southeast London For Africans/nigerians? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How's Life In Southeast London For Africans/nigerians? (2145 Views)

Nigerians In Czech Republic How Life / Life In The Usa As A Student. / How's Life For Nigerians In Germany (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How's Life In Southeast London For Africans/nigerians? by easylogic(m): 8:11pm On Dec 25, 2009
Hi guys,i am planning to go for Masters in Feb at a school called London School of Technology and Management.Its located in SE1 Postal area,near the london bridge.

How much is the average cost of student accommodation around Elephant and castle,bankside,lambeth and the adjoining areas?

The college tells me that they provide accomodation which is 40mins commuter time,which to me sounds unacceptable.
Are there nice African Clubs and eateries in that area?

What about employment prospects,i.e part time work.What sort of part-time jobs do Africans in SouthEast london do?

Would anyone know whether there is a sizable kenyan community in SE1?

Hopefully someone will enlighten me,especially in regards to accommodation and part-time work.
Re: How's Life In Southeast London For Africans/nigerians? by English1(f): 3:35pm On Dec 26, 2009
Loads of Africans in the areaUEL is ranked 99th of 113 British universities - food shops, restaurants, clubs etc. I don't know about specifically KEnyan though.

Quick query on your course - are you comitted to going there? It is a private college, not a university, and the programmes it offers are affilliated to the University of East London. I know the college is telling you this is a prestigious university - but it isn't. UEL is ranked 99th of 113 British universities so it's one of the worst in the country. It costs so much to do a masters degree; try and do one at an institution worth studying at. Employers are not impressed by UEL degrees,
Re: How's Life In Southeast London For Africans/nigerians? by easylogic(m): 4:05pm On Dec 26, 2009
Thanx for the information.I have already paid my tuition fee to the college,so i guess its too late.

UEL and STM came to Kenya and did a very thorough marketing campaign.Before i knew it i was already enrolled.But i do have an undergraduate degree from Oxford Brookes which is ranked 55th,hopefuly that will be considered by future employers.

Any info about cost of accommodation around SE1? And part time job availability?
Re: How's Life In Southeast London For Africans/nigerians? by justwise(m): 4:06pm On Dec 26, 2009
Time Online ranked UEL 108, its waste of money doing any course there. I know a friend who graduated there 3yrs ago and he got nothing good to say abt the Uni.

There are many Universities with better ranking and cheaper school fees u could study in.

Like English1  pointed out, many employers are not impressed with their ranking.
Re: How's Life In Southeast London For Africans/nigerians? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Dec 26, 2009
justwise:

Time Online ranked UEL 108, its waste of money doing any course there. I know a friend who graduated there 3yrs ago and he got nothing good to say abt the Uni.

There are many Universities with better ranking and cheaper school fees u could study in.

Like English1  pointed out, many employers are not impressed with their ranking.
@justwise i just wanted to ask about a skool i intend going for a masters program, university of salford. Is it a good skool?? it ranks 66th in timesonline.
Re: How's Life In Southeast London For Africans/nigerians? by Nobody: 5:15pm On Dec 26, 2009
luizworld:

@justwise i just wanted to ask about a skool i intend going for a masters program, university of salford. Is it a good skool?? it ranks 66th in timesonline.
If I'm being honest, no, plus apparently it actually ranks 84th http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_gug/gooduniversityguide.php.

I hadn't even even heard of it until a few months ago and I've been living here all my life.
Re: How's Life In Southeast London For Africans/nigerians? by justwise(m): 5:17pm On Dec 26, 2009
luizworld:

Salford is ranked 84 but its better than University of South London.

The prob is, many schools in top 20 are expensive for some foreign students, many of them are from £10000 up.
Re: How's Life In Southeast London For Africans/nigerians? by Nobody: 5:26pm On Dec 26, 2009
shocked shocked shocked i didnt even see london metropolitan university on the rankings, i am sure it is a road side skool.
Re: How's Life In Southeast London For Africans/nigerians? by easylogic(m): 5:29pm On Dec 26, 2009
@ Justwise, I am aware of the poor Ranking of UEL, but they also gave me a good schorlaship whch has eased alot of the financial burdens from my parents who are already paying tuition fee for 3 of my siblings in Australia.

I believe that if i can work extremely hard and get a good Msc degree,then my chances will improve greatly.It won't b easy i know,but i don't think it's hopeless either.

Now that its too late to change my choice of school, I would have loved to get any information about SouthEast London, especialy SE1 area.I have read 'horror' stories on Nairaland about places like Peckham etc.So i just want advice on which areas provide good affordable accommodation that does not compromise on Security and comfort.

Otherwise i will b forced to take up college accommodation which is too costly and far.(40 mins commuting time to college for graduate accommodation)
Re: How's Life In Southeast London For Africans/nigerians? by justwise(m): 5:30pm On Dec 26, 2009
luizworld:

shocked shocked shocked i didnt even see london metropolitan university on the rankings, i am sure it is a road side skool.

Some schools in London are useless, this is what many foreign students don't know. some are not even registered with Home office.
Re: How's Life In Southeast London For Africans/nigerians? by Nobody: 5:30pm On Dec 26, 2009
justwise:

The prob is, many schools in top 20 are expensive for some foreign students, many of them are from £10000 up.
Lol you've got that right, in my uni, the forgeigners are STINKING rich, they actually smell of money, I swear, one guy uses 20 pound notes as tissue roll cheesy cheesy
Re: How's Life In Southeast London For Africans/nigerians? by Nobody: 5:35pm On Dec 26, 2009
ibkaye:

Lol you've got that right, in my uni, the forgeigners are STINKING rich, they actually smell of money, I swear, one guy uses 20 pound notes as tissue roll cheesy cheesy

@ ibkaye which skool is that.
Re: How's Life In Southeast London For Africans/nigerians? by justwise(m): 5:36pm On Dec 26, 2009
ibkaye:

Lol. . when i was doing my degree course here, i had a friend like that, i don't dare go shopping with him, he doesn't care abt the price tag.

He was living in one of the most expensive student flats. I stayed away from him cos i couldn't keep up with his expending power.
He did not graduate though cos he was busy traveling around with hottie . .lol
Re: How's Life In Southeast London For Africans/nigerians? by Nobody: 5:38pm On Dec 26, 2009
luizworld:

@ ibkaye which skool is that.
xxxxxx

justwise:

Lol. . when i was doing my degree course here, i had a friend like that, i don't dare go shopping with him, he doesn't care abt the price tag.

He was living in one of the most expensive student flats. I stayed away from him cos i couldn't keep up with his expending power.
He did not graduate though cos he was busy traveling around with hottie . .lol
Lmao cheesy
Re: How's Life In Southeast London For Africans/nigerians? by justwise(m): 5:46pm On Dec 26, 2009
ibkaye:

Warwick.
Lmao cheesy

Ur school got good rating, and good MSC courses too.
Re: How's Life In Southeast London For Africans/nigerians? by joxiri: 7:54pm On Dec 27, 2009
How can one say uel is not a good university, poster go there do your best and pass, come out with a distinction and and am sure employer will give you a look in besides rankings only count for the universities in the top 10 and russell group besides that all the rest of the universities are on a level playiing field as far as I am concerned
Re: How's Life In Southeast London For Africans/nigerians? by joxiri: 7:58pm On Dec 27, 2009
And in addition can I add that students should also consider looking at the rankings for individual courses because some universities arent well ranked overall but are well ranked for certain courses
Re: How's Life In Southeast London For Africans/nigerians? by N101: 11:07pm On Jan 08, 2010
joxiri:

How can one say uel is not a good university, poster go there do your best and pass, come out with a distinction and and am sure employer will give you a look in besides rankings only count for the universities in the top 10 and russell group besides that all the rest of the universities are on a level playiing field as far as I am concerned

This is not new, UEL has been rated poorly for years, almost for as long as it has existed as a university (and the polytechnic it replaced wasn't rated particularly highly either).

Unless you are graduating in the sciences with a first class degree you will struggle to get  your qualification recognised, much less a Masters.  A friend said to me years ago that it's not where you do your first degree that's important, it's where you do your Masters that counts.  In any case, the Russell Group is a relatively recent thing, it didn't exist before 1994.

@ poster - you'll find the further you are to the centre (and post codes ending in 1 like SE1 tend to be part of central London), the more expensive things are.  If you can get residence 40 minutes away count yourself lucky. 

There isn't a large Kenyan community in SE1 but there's a very diverse community there.  You probably won't be too far from London South Bank University and I'm sure there's a community of Kenyans there.  Good luck wherever you're based.
Re: How's Life In Southeast London For Africans/nigerians? by Nobody: 10:31am On Aug 15, 2013
Lord my masters in ur hand

(1) (Reply)

Pls Be Warn And Pass It To Ur Family And Friends / A Customer's Experience With Guo Transport Company / Calabar Nigeria's Biggest Tourism Spot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.