Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,107 members, 7,811,118 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:03 AM

Nigeria Sells Her Birthright in the Niger Delta - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Sells Her Birthright in the Niger Delta (4068 Views)

Nigeria Sells Its Two Best Oil Fields / Nigeria Sells Newly Built Power-Plants To Private Investors. / Black Hole: Nobody Knows How Much Oil Nigeria Sells (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Sells Her Birthright in the Niger Delta by conscience(m): 6:58pm On Dec 09, 2005
Nigeria, US Sign Security Deal on N/Delta
By Mike Oduniyi in Lagos and Onyebuchi Ezigbo in Abuja, 09/12/2005 -THIS DAY NEWSPAPERS

As part of efforts to address the security crises in the Niger Delta, Nigeria and the United States announced yesterday the establishment of a joint committee that would be charged with the task of coordinating a comprehensive action against insecurity in the oil-rich region.
The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) also said yesterday that Nigeria is currently losing 200,000 barrels per day (bpd) to production deferment due to the lingering crises and sporadic clashes in the area. In monetary terms, this translates to a daily loss of $12 million (N1.6 billion).
In the communiqué on the bilateral pact released in Abuja yesterday, Nigeria and the US agreed to establish four special committees to co-ordinate action against trafficking in small arms in the Niger Delta, bolster maritime and coastal security in the region, promote community development and poverty reduction, and combat money laundering and other financial crimes.
Presenting details of the agreement, the US Ambassador to Nigeria, John Campbell said that the agreement was the result of discussions between the two governments held last month in Washington D.C., where Nigeria had sought US help to ensure stability in the Niger Delta.
Campbell said that the Nigerian delegation outlined a comprehensive and insightful analysis of social, economic and security issues in the Niger Delta. “In response, the US representatives agreed to ongoing engagement with Nigeria in the areas of security cooperation, international financial crimes collaboration, agricultural enterprise development, job and business development, conflict mitigation and management, and HIV/AIDS prevention, treatment and education for the Niger Delta region,” he said.
“Memorialised in a written communiqué signed by the US and Nigeria, the communiqué documents America’s commitment to a full partnership with the Nigerian government in the pursuit of peace and prosperity in the Niger Delta,” he added.
Re: Nigeria Sells Her Birthright in the Niger Delta by Seun(m): 7:50pm On Dec 09, 2005
How does a security contract translate into Nigeria selling her birthright?
Re: Nigeria Sells Her Birthright in the Niger Delta by FLYBOY(m): 8:27pm On Dec 09, 2005
Selling your own birthright.......I wonder why the agreement does not cover the whole of the country....

Peace in the Niger Delta....
Give the people the basics...potable water to start with.
Respect their environment...like is done elsewhere oil is mined.

One has to have been to the Niger Delta to understand the agitation of the people....they suffer
Re: Nigeria Sells Her Birthright in the Niger Delta by conscience(m): 3:41am On Dec 10, 2005
Seun:

How does a security contract translate into Nigeria selling her birthright?

I expect them to sign a security contract over ASO and ORUMO ROCK too.
Why NIGER DELTA alone?
So they can have the protection to steal all the Oil , while the people live in impoverished and inhuman condition
Re: Nigeria Sells Her Birthright in the Niger Delta by Seun(m): 8:05am On Dec 10, 2005
You need to remember that the dangers in the Niger Delta are not from the deprived citizens alone. You also have the armed militia groups that steal crude oil to finance their operations (that is how Dokubo started), the armed sea pirates that hijack commercial ships carrying oil or other valuable commodities so they can reap the profit

Those groups like to encourage strife in the region and recruit members by provoking anti-nationalistic sentiments.
Re: Nigeria Sells Her Birthright in the Niger Delta by owo(m): 9:33am On Dec 11, 2005
Seun:

You need to remember that the dangers in the Niger Delta are not from the deprived citizens alone. You also have the armed militia groups that steal crude oil to finance their operations (that is how Dokubo started), the armed sea pirates that hijack commercial ships carrying oil or other valuable commodities so they can reap the profit

Those groups like to encourage strife in the region and recruit members by provoking anti-nationalistic sentiments.

Without holding brief for anyone, these statements are very inflamatory...

You have labelled a man (Dokubo) who has not been convicted by a 'Proper' court of law as a thief. If you do not know those that steal crude oil?... Do not make these insinuations. Have you worked in the swamp of the Niger delta before? Do you know what it takes to have a meal in the creeks? Do you know how crude oil smells?. Have you fisshed in smelly, oil-polluted rivers before?
Would you stand such accusations being brought on you?

When a whole vessel filled with stolen crude dissapeared from the naval base... How many Niger Deltans were fingered in the case? what was the state of origin of those convicted etc?

Is the word 'pirate' a Nigerian Term?..... Can pirates 'survive' in Nigeria without the active connivance of Naval/military personnel? Is it only the Niger Delta that has a border with the ocean?

My dear... leave your arm chair, newspaper information stuff and get onto the field... then you'll see more than your eyes/mind can fathom.

That a man can go ahead and agree that another country should 'protect' a part of 'his constituency' for him... after he has fully miltarised the region, impoverished it, is sucking its land and creeks dry, denied the people their due funds etc... is the height of provocation and hatred.

Add together all the people that have died due to riots or civil unrest in the Niger Delta and compare that to those that have died due to religious violence in the north... then you will know where the Americans should be invited to 'secure'.

And there you are.... saying it is right.
Then, you must have been an Abacha apologist when he started hounding NADECO members into hiding? You must have been an 'assitant to Daniel Kanu' when he was recruiting 2 million souls for Abacha, his master. You must have been very happy to see the murder of Alfred rewane and the likes because they called a government in power..evil

Yesterday, it was the westerners turn... because a northerner was in power
Today it is the Niger Delta's turn.... because a westerner is the president.
Tomorrow....?? You can make your deductions

A government that cannot guarantee the saftey of lives and property within its jurisdiction.... is not worth its salt.
Re: Nigeria Sells Her Birthright in the Niger Delta by pendelite(f): 3:43pm On Dec 11, 2005
well said

A government that cannot guarantee the saftey of lives and property within its jurisdiction.... is not worth its salt.
Re: Nigeria Sells Her Birthright in the Niger Delta by Seun(m): 7:37pm On Dec 11, 2005
Owo, what are you talking about? You have no point!

Anyway, what the government has done for the security of Niger Delta can be referred to as outsourcing and I support it 100%. Other smaller countries in Africa enjoy the use of our military forces from time to time, so why can't we ask a bigger country to support our own country's where it is needed?
Re: Nigeria Sells Her Birthright in the Niger Delta by Jakumo(m): 7:50pm On Dec 11, 2005
All observers agree that there is near anarchy in the Niger Delta, and that the Nigerian military is barely able to contain the armed private militias that prowl the creeks, disrupting and diverting the crude oil flow.

The grinding poverty, unemployment, military human-rights abuses, oil pollution, gas flaring and lack of basic amenities that lie at the root of the discontent in the Niger Delta will certainly have to be addressed before a future with real peace can be envisioned for the area, but in the short term, some semblance of civil order is vital so that the jugular vein of Nigeria's income is not bled off or mortally severed.  

The United States is offering a hand in keeping the Niger Delta's waterways open and free of oil smugglers and pirates.  Accepting this extended hand of military and humanitarian assistance from the most technologically advanced nation on earth might not be such a bad idea if the Nigerian military is unable to prevent, or is inflaming the current guerrilla insurgency ravaging the Niger Delta.

All said and done, the global strategic importance of Nigeria's high-quality crude oil grows with each crisis in the middle-east, so  her trading partners are going to take a keen interest in keeping the Niger Delta and Gulf of Guinea safe for commercial shipping, even if that ultimately means USMC boots on the ground.
Re: Nigeria Sells Her Birthright in the Niger Delta by owo(m): 8:37am On Dec 12, 2005
Seun, Thank you(?)

There are two sides(and no middle ground).... Oppressors/colonisers and the oppressed/victims...
It is obvious which side of the divide you belong or stand.
Re: Nigeria Sells Her Birthright in the Niger Delta by Seun(m): 8:41am On Dec 12, 2005
This separatist silliness Reminds me of Lagbaja's song:
Me and you no be enemy,
We suppose to be family,
Na wetin you dey find, I dey find

Sebi na wetin you go chop you dey find?
Na wetin I go chop I dey find!
Re: Nigeria Sells Her Birthright in the Niger Delta by Jakumo(m): 9:01am On Dec 12, 2005
Oga Owo Tutu, the presence of US military hardware in the Niger Delta need not be equated with colonization or oppression.  Nigeria and her crude oil trading customers are simply protecting the wealth of the nation from being sabotaged or stolen, and that protection is best handled by a modern, well-equipped military force, which is what the US brings to the table.

Owo would you rather have local Niger Delta warlords retain a free hand to divert Nigeria's crude oil flow and barter it for weapons with which to prolong the insurgency indefinitely, as Dokubo Asari clearly intended before he became an unwilling guest of the state ?
Re: Nigeria Sells Her Birthright in the Niger Delta by omon(m): 4:48pm On Dec 12, 2005
I did not read that US millitary personnel will come and man our various oil facilities. My guess is that the understanding between us and them is mainly technical and maybe financial, which I think we are in dire need of. The chaos in the Niger Delta has gone too far! How do you justify a situation where you travel into these areas with your heart in hand because of the actions of the Asaris and several cult groups?

Nigeria should avail itself with whatever help it can get to oget rid of the menance that has turned our society into a laughing stock.
Re: Nigeria Sells Her Birthright in the Niger Delta by pendelite(f): 5:30pm On Dec 12, 2005
Please read this post by the administrator of this site.

Sebi na wetin you go chop you dey find?
Na wetin I go chop I dey find!

This is the attitude that got Nigeria to where it is today
Re: Nigeria Sells Her Birthright in the Niger Delta by pendelite(f): 6:10pm On Dec 12, 2005
The United States is not our enemy but a friend that has very clear ideas of its place in the world and its role to humanity. Regardless of what you see and hear, the goal is simple; the spread of justice, freedom and human dignity around the world, usually achieved through the spread of democracies which are representative governments that respond to the needs of their people.

America values human life that is why you will always see America first removing its citizens from harms way in troubled spots around the world, yet it is willing to sacrifice the same lives in Iraq, why? Because every one of those individuals that die though unintentional give their life for the preservation of the American way of life.

The preservation of freedom etc. cannot be achieved if America itself cannot guarantee its own security. It guarantees this by ensuring that vital resources and its vital interests are not disrupted by its enemies around the world. The Niger Delta of Nigeria is of strategic interest to the United States as it supplies energy, a critical resource. The activities of pirates (supported and unsupported), diversion of products etc. and the government in power in Nigeria all play critical roles in the economics of supply and demand of the product, its price and the resultant effect on the US economy. So when the US (a law abiding country) offers to help secure the area, it is merely doing so to ensure that the acts of subversives do not hamper its society. It cannot be seen as neo-colonialism or the like as they are neither pricing nor selling the product nor are they annexing any part of the area.

On the other hand it is an indictment on the Nigerian government for its inability to provide security in the area, that is why I applauded the earlier comments posted. The government (including the elected representatives) must do two things in the Niger Delta; address the needs of the people in the community as well as protect and secure the national interest. If they fail to achieve both of these things (not one or the other) then they have failed in their responsibility.
Re: Nigeria Sells Her Birthright in the Niger Delta by conscience(m): 3:45am On Dec 13, 2005
pendelite:

The United States is not our enemy but a friend that has very clear ideas of its place in the world and its role to humanity. Regardless of what you see and hear, the goal is simple; the spread of justice, freedom and human dignity around the world, usually achieved through the spread of democracies which are representative governments that respond to the needs of their people.

America values human life that is why you will always see America first removing its citizens from harms way in troubled spots around the world, yet it is willing to sacrifice the same lives in Iraq, why? Because every one of those individuals that die though unintentional give their life for the preservation of the American way of life.

The preservation of freedom etc. cannot be achieved if America itself cannot guarantee its own security. It guarantees this by ensuring that vital resources and its vital interests are not disrupted by its enemies around the world. The Niger Delta of Nigeria is of strategic interest to the United States as it supplies energy, a critical resource. The activities of pirates (supported and unsupported), diversion of products etc. and the government in power in Nigeria all play critical roles in the economics of supply and demand of the product, its price and the resultant effect on the US economy. So when the US (a law abiding country) offers to help secure the area, it is merely doing so to ensure that the acts of subversives do not hamper its society. It cannot be seen as neo-colonialism or the like as they are neither pricing nor selling the product nor are they annexing any part of the area.

On the other hand it is an indictment on the Nigerian government for its inability to provide security in the area, that is why I applauded the earlier comments posted. The government (including the elected representatives) must do two things in the Niger Delta; address the needs of the people in the community as well as protect and secure the national interest. If they fail to achieve both of these things (not one or the other) then they have failed in their responsibility.

JUSTCE KE?
Economic gains  ne?
Why are they not in DARFUR in their thousands?
RWANDA nko?
Congo nee?
Liberia Kwanu- Their foster children?
Sierra Leone self?
Amhajiri- Northern Nigeria nko?
OPC- Iyanapa ja and Mile twelve and Isalle Eko?
How long did it take them to get to their backyard - New Orleans?
Do you want me to count more ?
I beg leave me hand jare.
ONLY GOD KNOWS WHAT JUSTICE IS.
Re: Nigeria Sells Her Birthright in the Niger Delta by pendelite(f): 3:50am On Dec 13, 2005
You answered your own question, Did you read my comments?

JUSTCE KE? – Let’s examine
Economic gains ne? - Obviously
Why are they not in DARFUR in their thousands? – What is the interest? Humanitarian, that is the job of the UN.
RWANDA nko? – United Nations
Congo nee? – United Nations
Liberia Kwanu? - UN
Sierra Leone self? UN
Northern Nigeria nko? Nigeria
Iyanapa ja and Mile twelve and Isalle Eko? Nigeria
How long did it take them to get to their backyard - New Orleans? As quickly as possible, lessons were learnt
I beg leave me hand jare
ONLY GOD KNOWS WHAT JUSTICE IS.
Re: Nigeria Sells Her Birthright in the Niger Delta by Jakumo(m): 7:28am On Dec 13, 2005
Pendelite your summary of the US global role was beautifully written and summarized, and only the die-hard Uncle Sam haters among us would find any flaw in the logic of your presentation.  Thank you for articulating the truth so clearly and concisely.
Re: Nigeria Sells Her Birthright in the Niger Delta by ono(m): 3:49pm On Dec 14, 2005
My grouse about the whole thing is the non inclusion of the ''real'' owners of the land in the security arrangement.

It is ''possible'' that part of the 200,000barrels per day oil is what the ''Nigerian born tycoon billonaire'' - Kase Lawal is selling abroad! Reading btw the lines, you'd see the guy has offices in PH, Lagos, London and Jo'burgh. Sounds to me like he's a front for a cartel notorious for siphoning crude from Nigeria. At the mention of Nigerian cities of Lag and PH, the integrity of the guy is automatically dented.

Some folks just sit up there in Abuja and decides what happens to the oil in Warri and PH creeks. And they call it ''our'' oil. Ridiculous. It's more painful to note that these folks are not even from the Niger Delta. What's worse? they have the backing of some of the vagabonds from the Niger Delta. Oh Lord have mercy on their souls!
Re: Nigeria Sells Her Birthright in the Niger Delta by owo(m): 4:40pm On Dec 14, 2005
My dear Ono.... the word real in your post need not be within apostrophes.

The owners, REAL owners, authentic owners, bonafide owners, certified owners etc are being persecuted daily while impostors and their cohorts smile with their ill-gotten loot.

It won't be long and the slave will be brought down from the horse back while the owner of the horse back will sit where he rightfully belongs.

When men 'outsource' the 'security' (actually oppresion, killing, hunting, exploitation etc) of communities that they do not own.... then you can imagine what next they will do.

We are not looking for what to eat.... that is what your brother the musician thinks (I see that you agree with him) ... we are looking for a great, prosperous and fulfiling future for our Children. They will not forgive us if we bequeath such squalor and utter deprivation (as we currently have) to them.
Re: Nigeria Sells Her Birthright in the Niger Delta by omon(m): 5:55pm On Dec 14, 2005
One report puts it that the likes of Bayelsa and Delta gets up to 9 billion naira monthly. How many other states in Nigeria gets such amount of money? I know Delta state even earns higher than that.. The truth is that you can build a brand new city that can compare with Tokyo with that amount if they are prudent. So make sure you blame you leaders as well for the woes in the Niger Delta
Re: Nigeria Sells Her Birthright in the Niger Delta by conscience(m): 9:29pm On Dec 14, 2005
omon:

One report puts it that the likes of Bayelsa and Delta gets up to 9 billion naira monthly. How many other states in Nigeria gets such amount of money? I know Delta state even earns higher than that.. The truth is that you can build a brand new city that can compare with Tokyo with that amount if they are prudent. So make sure you blame you leaders as well for the woes in the Niger Delta
[/quote

How much is N9billion in $ or £?
Please convert it x 6years that Baba has been in power.
You can't even build the Tokyo's Sony Building with this amount.
Yet you got your figures wrong on how much each state receives monthly.
Please check again sir
Re: Nigeria Sells Her Birthright in the Niger Delta by conscience(m): 9:34pm On Dec 14, 2005
omon:

How much is N9billion in $ or £?
Please convert it x 6years that Baba has been in power.
You can't even build the Tokyo's Sony Building with this amount.
Yet you got your figures wrong on how much each state receives monthly.
Please check again sir.[quote][/quote]
Re: Nigeria Sells Her Birthright in the Niger Delta by nferyn(m): 10:11pm On Dec 14, 2005
omon:

You have got to be kidding. You can build a few administrative buildings at best if you're very prudent with the money. Good infrastructure is horribly expensive.
Re: Nigeria Sells Her Birthright in the Niger Delta by omon(m): 3:06am On Dec 15, 2005
I am sorry I exaggerated a bit there..but I am just sick of these governors not knowing what to do with money they get. I am from Edo state and you need to be there to see the rot iin the society there. The gov. turns a blind eye to it.
Re: Nigeria Sells Her Birthright in the Niger Delta by conscience(m): 3:13am On Dec 15, 2005
omon:

I am sorry I exaggerated a bit there..but I am just sick of these governors not knowing what to do with money they get. I am from Edo state and you need to be there to see the rot iin the society there. The gov. turns a blind eye to it.
Brother ...........Respect, Peace and Love to you.
Re: Nigeria Sells Her Birthright in the Niger Delta by otokx(m): 9:21am On Dec 15, 2005
am surprised at seun's position in this post. i want to believe he is just mischievious like i was on alams post. maybe they should sign the same paper as concerns OPC that operates freely in lagos. This thing bothers on sovereignty, if the basic infrastructures are put in place then there will be peace.
Re: Nigeria Sells Her Birthright in the Niger Delta by ono(m): 9:53am On Dec 15, 2005
Folks, it's not good to blow anything out of proportion. Thanks for the likes of nferyn and conscience. Since I joined this forum, these folks strike me as those that live in the ''real'' world.

I just read about the sins of Alams in another entry, and the folks there just like to swallow falsehood and stereotyped lies from some goons! Conscience and nferyn, could you please tell them to sit down when they read newspapers story and ask if the newspapers folks are not just blowing issues out of proportion to sell their wares or they are really telling the truth as it is.

Now, back to this issue at hand.

Some folks - especially the Edo people, may not like this, but since the creation of Delta State, things began to fall apart for them. Their fortunes have been on the downward slope - dwindling. And instead of concentrating on what's left for them as a state and develop it, they like heaping the blame on their leaders! Who did not know that the present day Benin ''City'' was built with crude oil money from the old Bendel State?

As for me, this is a fortaste of things to come. Untill we stop depending on the proceeds from crude oil sales, corruption, nepotism, backstabbing, ethnic bigotry, greed and all the evils associated with laziness will continue to haunt us as a people. And until we start to operate at the level of true democratic norms, we will continue to depend on foreign bodies for help on ''internal'' issues.
Re: Nigeria Sells Her Birthright in the Niger Delta by otokx(m): 10:05am On Dec 15, 2005
@ONO, ur right, the average nigeria is very simple and unintelligent not able to discern. Benin is a sad reminder of what ought not to be. I suspect Asaba will also soon join in. We should look inwards and develop other avenues that will yield revenue for us.
Re: Nigeria Sells Her Birthright in the Niger Delta by omon(m): 2:20pm On Dec 15, 2005
You shoudl not rejoice at others misfortune... If we have a pragmatic leader, Edo state for example can be turned around with or without oil. You should not also forget that the oil wil run out one day, so the people in the Niger Delta should also be on the look out for alternatives now.
Re: Nigeria Sells Her Birthright in the Niger Delta by pendelite(f): 3:25pm On Dec 15, 2005
Good thinking, young men. Do you know what Shell advertises in the U.S. A world when there will be no Petroleum. Think about that. Shell advert in the US.

Everyday is a missed opportunity, I once attended a lecture in Germany and do you know what the told us. “Look at what we have built with no oil, gold, platinum……” Think about that.
Re: Nigeria Sells Her Birthright in the Niger Delta by ono(m): 4:06pm On Dec 15, 2005
Pendelite,

The issue here is that of foreigners ''managing'' our internal crisis for us. Oil or no oil, the crises stares us in the face. And what are these crises? Internal strife, nepotism, tribalism,...I've listed them out here before now. We can hide under oil and say ''there is crises in the Niger Delta, and as such ''our'' economic interests are in serious trouble'' But, deep down in all of us, we know that the issues at stake are more than oil and some kinda economic interests...

Posers:
Is the Niger Delta crises that grievous that we need to engage the services of foreigners to quell it?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Did You Vote For Goodluck Jonathon? / If The South East Governors Wants Igbos Back, They Should Build Us A Sea Port / History Of Nigeria Civil War

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.