Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,557 members, 7,823,448 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:18 AM

Nigeria Sells Newly Built Power-Plants To Private Investors. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Sells Newly Built Power-Plants To Private Investors. (16519 Views)

Nigeria Sells Its Two Best Oil Fields / Black Hole: Nobody Knows How Much Oil Nigeria Sells / Nigeria Sells Her Birthright in the Niger Delta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Sells Newly Built Power-Plants To Private Investors. by ujoinme: 12:05am On Aug 16, 2013
With the recent offer for sale of 10 new power-generation stations built by the three tiers of government through the Niger Delta Power Holding Company Limited (NDPHC), the implementation of the Electric Power Sector Reforms Act of 2005 is at a critical juncture.

The stations, which have a combined design capacity in excess of 5,453 megawatts, are Alaoji Power Plant, Aba, Abia State; Ihovbor Power Plant, Benin City, Edo State; Calabar Power Plant, Calabar, Cross River State; Egbema Power Plant, Owerri, Imo State; Gbarain Power Plant, Yenagoa, Bayelsa State; Geregu II, Ajaokuta, Kogi State; Sapele II, Sapele, Delta State; Olorunsogo II, Olorunsogo, Ogun State; Omoku II, Port Harcourt, Rivers State; and Omotosho II, Okitipupa, Ondo State.

The country has spent over $8 billion building these plants and is expected to make $6 billion from divesting 80 per cent of governments' shares in them. Expression of interest (EoI) for the facilities closed by 5pm on Friday, July 19, 2013, and 110 private companies beat the deadline. According to the divestment time-table, the Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE) will announce a shortlist of successful bidders on August 8, 2013, and the stations would be transferred to the highest bidders between June and July 2014.

We note, with cautious satisfaction, government's firm rebuff of laggard would-be investors who waited till the EoI deadline expired before making bids. Government must build on this initial principled stand all the way in the process and avoid embarrassing blunders which trailed previous sales of public entities like NITEL/MTEL and the recent unbundling of the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN). The thermal plants must not be sold to incompetent or briefcase investors. Government must allow best global practices to prevail in the divestment process and demonstrate iron-clad will to stop scavenger-politicians from using proxies to acquire the plants.

Whenever a breach of due process is noticed, the National Council on Privatisation (NCP) must act fast by cancelling the tainted bids. Timelines must be well handled and this exercise must not, for any reason, be allowed to go beyond the June 2014 date for the new owners to take possession of the plants and give Nigerians the much-sought stable power supply. The government should refrain from shifting the goal-post and changing the rules of the game. Since foreign development partners cum private investors are involved in the bidding process, government should strive to sustain their confidence and not do anything capable of putting the country to shame.

After successfully selling the power stations, government should plough the proceeds back into expanding the country's power infrastructure, specifically building a number of hydropower dams across northern Nigeria as provisioned under Phase II of the National Integrated Power Projects (NIPP). The money must not vanish into government's infamous black holes of graft
http://allafrica.com/stories/201308051744.html

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Sells Newly Built Power-Plants To Private Investors. by owolabifunke14(f): 12:10am On Aug 16, 2013
Finally,Nigeria is heading towards the right direction. Constant power supply will soon be our portion. I can now proudly say that dividends of democracy is here with u.But,I hope the private companies are not owned by our governors and senators?

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria Sells Newly Built Power-Plants To Private Investors. by Tos87(m): 12:22am On Aug 16, 2013
Let ϻё see how that will affect my Ї better pass my neigbour gen........second Ţ☹ comment grin
Re: Nigeria Sells Newly Built Power-Plants To Private Investors. by ifeakor(m): 12:24am On Aug 16, 2013
[color=#006600][/color]

Re: Nigeria Sells Newly Built Power-Plants To Private Investors. by goist(m): 12:27am On Aug 16, 2013
Do i kall dis d begining of d breath of fresh air or what??
Re: Nigeria Sells Newly Built Power-Plants To Private Investors. by Horus(m): 12:31am On Aug 16, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQux1__Es64

Investors To Take Over Electricity Plants
Re: Nigeria Sells Newly Built Power-Plants To Private Investors. by ujoinme: 12:46am On Aug 16, 2013
Will distributors also be allowed to build their own power plants to generate electricity?
Re: Nigeria Sells Newly Built Power-Plants To Private Investors. by ifeakor(m): 12:47am On Aug 16, 2013
[color=#006600][/color]
AM Introducing Xtreme Fuel Treatment: The most efficient fuel saving science.
Have you ever thought of how people, company and even you can possibly spend less on fuel, diesel, even kerosene, engine repairs and maintenance while you maximise your profit?
Then Xtreme FUel or Diesel Treatment [XFT] is the answer. Is base on a need not a want.
Xtreme Fuel Treatment: The most efficient fuel saving science.
Everyone can now enjoy longer lasting, fuel efficient engine performance with the new Xtreme Fuel Treatment. XFT is a 21st century break through product which helps your petrol & diesel engines – cars, utility vehicles, heavy trucks, buses, generators, motorcycles, construction equipment etc
1. Reduction in fuel consumption with increased kilometre per litre.
2. It prolongs engine life and reduces engine wear.
3. It cleans fuel pump, injector, piston and Lubricates engines resulting in better performance.
4. It improves vehicle performances and horse power.
5. It reduces harmful emissions and pollutants coming from the exhaust pipe resulting in a cleaner environment.
It works in all engines that has 2 do with fuel and deisel.
This means that, for example, a full tank of petrol which could usually last two or three days (depending on usage pattern), would last at least 5 to 6 days with Xtreme Fuel Treatment. And yes, XFT is perfectly safe for all types engine!
XFT is a product of Syntek Global Inc, registered and licensed in the USA. It is patented, time-tested, and has been used for over 20 years by large industrial companies around the world. XFT was also previously sold only in large, 55 gallon drums;
it is however now available to the public in small inexpensive bottles and foil packs for daily use. The oil-soluble organo-metallic compound found in XFT simply means it can easily mix with other oil- based products evenly without any difficulty of separation or an uneven concentration in the fuel.
XFT makes sure every drop of fuel is treated before it burns in your engine.
Now since everybody, even companies uses fuel and deisel despite d price and Ppls will like 2 save cost on fuel and on maintenance.
Then here comes d syntek global's product known as xtreme fuel treatment [XFT], And since fuel is a steady and needed, xft will keep on selling.
Why not give XFT a try for a month or two and see if you don't notice an improvement in your fuel economy, the way your engine runs, or even your horsepower! If u just only want 2 be using d product as a customer or for company use
For questions regarding the use of this product, call
+2348139731259 or +2347089506104.
Bbm 26757A8D
Skype name: ifeakor
for your first order. Or email ifeakorcornelius@gmail.com. Or
anigosachi@yahoo.com. And you will always want more. It’s a promise!
Re: Nigeria Sells Newly Built Power-Plants To Private Investors. by otokx(m): 6:46am On Aug 16, 2013
And the power outtages continue unabated in Port Harcourt.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Sells Newly Built Power-Plants To Private Investors. by Nobody: 6:48am On Aug 16, 2013
owolabifunke14: Finally,Nigeria is heading towards the right direction. Constant power supply will soon be our portion. I can now proudly say that dividends of democracy is here with u.But,I hope the private companies are not owned by our governors and senators?
#singing the - game, dreams
Re: Nigeria Sells Newly Built Power-Plants To Private Investors. by Longeria(m): 9:51am On Aug 16, 2013
otokx: And the power outtages continue unabated in Port Harcourt.
Na lie, which part of Portharcourt? I'm rocking full current in my house almost 24/7.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Sells Newly Built Power-Plants To Private Investors. by kunlekunle: 10:35am On Aug 16, 2013
owolabifunke14: Finally,Nigeria is heading towards the right direction. Constant power supply will soon be our portion. I can now proudly say that dividends of democracy is here with u.But,I hope the private companies are not owned by our governors and senators?

you are not been truthful to your self.
or you are doubting your thought.
Re: Nigeria Sells Newly Built Power-Plants To Private Investors. by 25Calibre(m): 1:56pm On Aug 16, 2013
Very good! At least the plants would be better managed in private hands.

The government should ensure that these investors deliver proper services to Nigerians
Re: Nigeria Sells Newly Built Power-Plants To Private Investors. by telexfree1: 1:57pm On Aug 16, 2013
Government please hands off !
I support privatization all the way
Re: Nigeria Sells Newly Built Power-Plants To Private Investors. by Nobody: 1:57pm On Aug 16, 2013
Nigeria is a failed state undecided
Re: Nigeria Sells Newly Built Power-Plants To Private Investors. by nerodenero: 1:59pm On Aug 16, 2013
This is a welcome development and hope power improves soon. Again, are there no power plants in Northern Nigeria because the article didn't indicate any from the north? If there are, are they not going to be sold? Why sell some and leave some? Just asking.
Re: Nigeria Sells Newly Built Power-Plants To Private Investors. by Nobody: 2:01pm On Aug 16, 2013
Privatization is still the way forward.
Re: Nigeria Sells Newly Built Power-Plants To Private Investors. by MrScript(m): 2:06pm On Aug 16, 2013
we don hear
Re: Nigeria Sells Newly Built Power-Plants To Private Investors. by AroOkigbo(m): 2:07pm On Aug 16, 2013
Anything dem like make dem do,
what we need is light (24/7)

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Sells Newly Built Power-Plants To Private Investors. by Nobody: 2:13pm On Aug 16, 2013
truth be said electricity has really improved these days

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Sells Newly Built Power-Plants To Private Investors. by Slizbeat(m): 2:14pm On Aug 16, 2013
Well. What can I say. As someone asked before now "hope they are not owned by senators and politicians". Before any senator or politician acquires any plant, he/she must first resign officially.
Re: Nigeria Sells Newly Built Power-Plants To Private Investors. by bright007(f): 2:17pm On Aug 16, 2013
ifeakor: [/color]
AM Introducing Xtreme Fuel Treatment: The most efficient fuel saving science.
Have you ever thought of how people, company and even you can possibly spend less on fuel, diesel, even kerosene, engine repairs and maintenance while you maximise your profit?
Then Xtreme FUel or Diesel Treatment [XFT] is the answer. Is base on a need not a want.
Xtreme Fuel Treatment: The most efficient fuel saving science.
Everyone can now enjoy longer lasting, fuel efficient engine performance with the new Xtreme Fuel Treatment. XFT is a 21st century break through product which helps your petrol & diesel engines – cars, utility vehicles, heavy trucks, buses, generators, motorcycles, construction equipment etc
1. Reduction in fuel consumption with increased kilometre per litre.
2. It prolongs engine life and reduces engine wear.
[size=100]can i use this your product in my stove to save kerosine cost[/size]

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Sells Newly Built Power-Plants To Private Investors. by Tintinix: 2:21pm On Aug 16, 2013
Longeria: Na lie, which part of Portharcourt? I'm rocking full current in my house almost 24/7.
Infact the "Quantity of light" these days is terrifying...

Next day (Aug 17 1:09pm).... I am restless now!! This is alarming!!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Sells Newly Built Power-Plants To Private Investors. by Nobody: 2:22pm On Aug 16, 2013
Is good sha!atleast let people dey electricute demslves....make una do fast
Re: Nigeria Sells Newly Built Power-Plants To Private Investors. by taharqa: 2:24pm On Aug 16, 2013
Good... Very Good
Re: Nigeria Sells Newly Built Power-Plants To Private Investors. by Nobody: 2:29pm On Aug 16, 2013
alright
Re: Nigeria Sells Newly Built Power-Plants To Private Investors. by pyyxxaro: 2:32pm On Aug 16, 2013
AnoThER WHiTE embarassedElEphANT PrOjeCT tongue
Re: Nigeria Sells Newly Built Power-Plants To Private Investors. by Nobody: 2:36pm On Aug 16, 2013
Oh! poor Nigeria making move: :POh! poor Nigeria making move:
Re: Nigeria Sells Newly Built Power-Plants To Private Investors. by BabaAlabi: 2:38pm On Aug 16, 2013
Rubbish...I will believe the news when I experience stable power supply and I know that the whole privatisation issue will be drenched in corruption. GEJ must go.
Re: Nigeria Sells Newly Built Power-Plants To Private Investors. by martinbillings: 2:38pm On Aug 16, 2013
Fresh air till 2019

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Sells Newly Built Power-Plants To Private Investors. by Nobody: 2:42pm On Aug 16, 2013
who are the "private investors?"
how much were the plants sold for?
were the plants sold through a transparent bidding process?

i do not see anything to celebrate here
what i see is the gej administration selling newly commissioned power plants to their cronies for a pittance
Re: Nigeria Sells Newly Built Power-Plants To Private Investors. by vanunu: 2:44pm On Aug 16, 2013
GEJ is really moving the nation forward. You don't know what you have until you lose it, this regime is the most pragmatic and the most transparent I have seen since I was born.. Kudooss

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Justice Nyako Bars Journalists From Using Phones To Cover Nnamdi Kanu's Case / PDP Rejects Moves To Return Toll Gates / Another Bomb Explosion At Sheka Police Station In Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.