Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,413 members, 7,819,481 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:01 PM

Enquiry About Kenya - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Enquiry About Kenya (8877 Views)

Woman Blasted For Photoshopping Her Trip From Kenya To China (Hilarious Photos) / Urgent Enquiry About Schooling In Georgia / Interesting Facts About Kenya (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Enquiry About Kenya by wolex200(m): 8:13pm On Dec 27, 2009
Hello,
pls i want to know the visa processing to kenya and how much it will cost to visit kenya for 6days. Thanks
Re: Enquiry About Kenya by niceguy10: 2:25pm On Dec 28, 2009
kenya, bros there is nothing in that country, Nigeria is better off,
Re: Enquiry About Kenya by IkeDuke: 3:44pm On Dec 28, 2009
Depends on what you want to do in Kenya. It's a lovely place for a visit as a tourist if you are interested in Wild-life or want a bit of understanding of East African culture.

The beach by Mombasa town is a sunny and calm depending on the time you visit there but nothing compared to those in the West Indies.

It is reasonably cheap if you know your way around and don't have to take taxi's all the time. Nairobi to Mombasa is about 9 hours by coach or 50 minutes if you fly (you'll see the beautiful peak of Mount Kilimanjaro when flying). Nairobi is like any other African capital city (traffic jams and people always in a rush in the city centre), but Mombasa, Malindi, Eldoret and other smaller towns are easy going and relaxed.

The night life is quite vibrant and people tend to be accommodating and welcoming to foreigners (tourism plays a big role in the economy). However, during my last visit there (in October) there were cases of body parts snatchers, one guy was picked off Tom Mboya street in central Nai and taken to an unknown place where his blood and urine were tested. After about 4 days in total darkness his captors told him he was of no use to them and bundled him into the boot of their car and dumped him along an isolated village road. He told the police that there were about 4 others in the darkened room at the time. People have had their kidneys removed of recent.

Don't be scared though, all you need is the same precautions that you would take in walking about anywhere in Naija to be okay.

Hotels are a bit expensive and if you get anything less than a 3 star expect to be staying in a shabby run-down place. $50 - $60 per night will get you a reasonable place in Nairobi city centre. It is more expensive in Mombasa during the peak of the tourist season.

Like every other African country there is a love or hate relationship with Nigerians!! Some people will simply despise and hate you if they know you are Nigerian and this starts from the airport. Some others have total love and respect for you being a Nigerian believing that you are smart and daring. They also show a lot of Nigerian movies on TV.

Going there or anywhere for a short visit is always an experience but relocating there to stay to make a living I can't advise. There are a few Naija guys doing business there as well as the usual Church crew, but business there is not as fast as business in Naija. The people also tend to be a little too laid back for my likening, but then I tend to be used to the hustle and fast pace of Lagos.

You need to go and discover for yourself to have an opinion. If you do visit let me know how you found the place.

2 Likes

Re: Enquiry About Kenya by easylogic(m): 4:04pm On Dec 28, 2009
A kenyan visitors Visa is obtained at the airport on arrival.it costs about 50 dollars. I am not sure whether you will be granted a 6 month VISA.
About living costs during 6 months, it depends, Nairobi and Mombasa are relatively costly,Unless you choose to stay in a 3 star hotel on the dingy side of town or with friends.

Just google for cheap hotels in Nairobi.Alot of backpackers and Asian tourists use them.
But i would advice you to look for Naija guys so as to save on costs.There is a sizable community of Nigerians in USIU university.

Otherwise Good luck.
Re: Enquiry About Kenya by Kx: 4:15pm On Dec 28, 2009
You are likely gonna be issued a 1 to 2 weeks visa at the arrival terminal of the airport.
Thats the east african style.
Flying time is around 4-6 hrs lagos to jomo kenyata intl airport
not more than 170k return ticket,$50 dollars visa fee,currency keyan shilling
Re: Enquiry About Kenya by naliakar: 2:56pm On Dec 30, 2009
easylogic:

A kenyan visitors Visa is obtained at the airport on arrival.it costs about 50 dollars. I am not sure whether you will be granted a 6 month VISA.

But i would advice you to look for Naija guys so as to save on costs.There is a sizable community of Nigerians in USIU university.

Otherwise Good luck.

Best thing to do. I think one Nigerian (Anthony Chinedu) owns a modest hotel in Nairobi west although he is still disputing its ownership with his Kenyan wife. At least he is one of the many Nigerians who should now take up Kenyan citizenship. there also used to be one energetic promoter called Uche Onyebadi. Don't known if he is still doing his trade in Nairobi, but was such a likable man and public figure. With similar contacts you get to save money and to sample the host country much faster with a steady knowing hand of a Nigerian who probably understands you as a Nigerian and may anticipate your needs.

Lots of Crocodile meat and other bush stuff in some fancy Nairobi joints. But most of all, you will get to see beauties you only sporadically get to see in Lagos. Calabar or Abuja. Again six days may not be sufficient to sample Kenya although it depends on your mission.If you are going for fun, it may be rained off in the next two three weeks or so going by weather projections.

Mombasa and the coast has beach fronts stretching for miles and miles with classy resorts and hotels spread out. there are private villas too. Sample some of these as shown in the other thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-51356.1600.html
Re: Enquiry About Kenya by sunboy(m): 12:11am On Dec 31, 2009
@wolex: they can give you either two or 3 months. It takes 7days processing, their office is at VI. A friend did it for me @ 50k, i got 3 months, for himself he got 2 months all na luck sha. If u need my help hola me. No scam here oooooo.
Re: Enquiry About Kenya by mrcassanova(m): 10:14am On Jul 29, 2016
I suggest you contact Wakanow or World N Traveland (www.wontra.com) for more information.

1 Like

Re: Enquiry About Kenya by Nobody: 2:18am On Jul 30, 2016
Visa: $50 at Jomo Kenyatta Intl Airport Or e-visa online for the naira equivalent of $50. I did the e-visa...pretty much easy and straight forward. You don't queue for visa, just show the immigration officer your e-visa...that's all!

Accommodation: Depends on your budget. I stayed at Precious Hotel, Nairobi for $20/ Night. Best bargain ever! Clean room with flat screen, big bed, clean tilled bathroom, free and ultra fast WiFi and a complimentary breakfast every morning. You can arrange for airport pick up to the hotel...I paid $20, and it was worth every penny because I arrived at the airport 1:30am and the driver was waiting patiently for me smiling with a placard having my name on it. Check bookings.com or AirBnB.com

General: I visited only Nairobi. Nairobi is a very vibrant and modern city. Things are cheap and expensive depending on what you are buying. People are extremely nice and are ever willing to help a foreigner. Food is good. Weather is very unpredictable... Typical British weather.

Lastly, condoms, lots of condoms. *Drops mic*

1 Like

Re: Enquiry About Kenya by jaywizzy1(m): 10:06pm On Nov 14, 2016
How authentic is Wontra? My wife was scheduled to travel to Dubai today. She's got her boarding pass, her visa and hotel accommodation and tour e-tickets. She arrived the airport 2hrs ahead of time and she was told 2mins to flight time that she was on the wrong queue. Are there not supposed to be the airline attendants making sure that doesn't happen except it's fake. I sent a mail for options and they said its non refundable: the hotel accommodation, the tours and the return ticket totalling around 700grand. Was heart broken.
So I'm asking has anyone successfully travelled with Wontra?
Re: Enquiry About Kenya by def111(m): 10:39pm On Nov 18, 2016
jaywizzy1:
How authentic is Wontra? My wife was scheduled to travel to Dubai today. She's got her boarding pass, her visa and hotel accommodation and tour e-tickets. She arrived the airport 2hrs ahead of time and she was told 2mins to flight time that she was on the wrong queue. Are there not supposed to be the airline attendants making sure that doesn't happen except it's fake. I sent a mail for options and they said its non refundable: the hotel accommodation, the tours and the return ticket totalling around 700grand. Was heart broken.

most hotel in collect 15% of hotel booking you make. some will not charge you nothing until you arrive in the hotel... I have book an hotel and try to change it. it didn't work, what I did was transfer all the money on the account to another of my own account...
Re: Enquiry About Kenya by sworx(m): 11:16am On Jun 17, 2017
jaywizzy1:

I have repeatedly travelled with wontra without issues. The only time I had to complain was when I missed my flight and I had to pay an equivalent of $150 to join the next available flight. Though I was informed of the rules of my ticket via mail but you know we usually don't read that part.

(1) (Reply)

Foreign ATM Card Use In Nigeria.? / Yuletide: FRSC Opens Enugu-onitsha Highway To Ease Traffic / Your First Travel Experience On A Double-decker Bus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.