Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,567 members, 7,958,755 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 10:40 PM

52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? (25492 Views)

40k Teaching Job At Oke Afa In Isolo Lagos / Stanbic IBTC Bank Job Recruitment (8 Positions) / "N300k Job Or I Won't Work" - Slay Queen, Chinny Okekki (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by Ofuks(m): 1:11pm On Apr 05, 2017
Congratulations OP, getting two job offers in these trying times is indeed worthy of a Miracle!

Your answers to the questions below may help you come to a decision.

1. What are your career objectives?
2. Is the bank offer a contract job or one with a clear cut career progression?
3. Which of the offers is in line with your mid to long term vision?

Bank work in Nigeria is very tasking and prone to a lot of stress and may not give you time to pursue interests outside your job. However, it gives you the opportunity to understand your customers businesses and ultimately start yours since you'll be in Marketing.

Teaching on the other hand is quite exciting and affords you the opportunity to pursue other interests like your personal development (further your education), participate in reality shows, organise private lessons, meet students and parents of students who can change your life and ultimately spend quality time with family and friends. Note that the money from teaching may not come immediately but it'll surely come if you know what you are doing.

Note that I have spent 9 years across two banks and my mum is a teacher/school owner so I guess I should know something about both offers.

May God guide your decision.

3 Likes

Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by runsguy: 1:12pm On Apr 05, 2017
Menzy86:
I'll giv u an example with myself. I resigned my MTN customer care job in dec last yr to take up dis 'common' Npower teach scheme of d federal govt. I was earning 35k as an agent with 40 crazy unflexible and frustrating hours work (plus saturdays and sundays depending on schedule) sometimes. The Npower as we all know pays just 30 but in d last three months on my own, I have made almost 300k MINUS my Npower allowee because of d flexibility of the work. I will start my PHD in a few months and further ny career in PEACE! Summary: I will NEVER pick a bank job over teaching that pays as much as 40k already. I've thought b4 and believe me, u stay really sharp and focused as a teacher UNLESS u r a total slowpoke. Be wise my dear. God help u.

So you already have a Masters and you were on a 35k MTN job? With an M.Sc? God help us, seducation beyond M.Sc is a WASTE OF MONEY AND TIME, People please invest in BUSINESS after B.Sc, don't waste your money and time of MSC AND PHD, Na poverty be that o
Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by ufuosman(m): 1:13pm On Apr 05, 2017
Congrats. To me the teaching is better

1 Like

Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by Naturalobserver(m): 1:15pm On Apr 05, 2017
saraki2019:
It is unpatriotic and ungodly for a single person to gamble between two paying jobs, when some have none.
professor of religious studies and national value.i hail u sir
Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by defemidefemi(m): 1:18pm On Apr 05, 2017
please go for teaching job
Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by MountCliff: 1:19pm On Apr 05, 2017
Bro, you are lucky you have two job eying you. Analyze your self, select the one that goes with your passion and will absorb your intuitive tactics. But for me heyyyyyyy. Teaching all the ways.... I gotta have time for myself, sharpen my brain, become a gentleman and a gentle man. contribute more to the society. forget about having connection through banking, connection can come from anyplace. off course teaching has more connect future prospect. Do not be carried away ooo # I love Teaching# I can even teach for a peanut .

2 Likes

Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by divinelove(m): 1:21pm On Apr 05, 2017
bkool7:
Go for bank job .

The reward for teachers is in heaven , remember

grin grin grin are you saying she may not make heaven to get d reward

1 Like

Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by mosaicafrique: 1:28pm On Apr 05, 2017
My dear thank God for giving you this offers and also giving you a community like NL where you can get foolish and also intelligent advice too(My apology) From my Experience as a banker and also a teacher. I will appreciate if you would sit down and think deep about your selfdevelopment and how you can build a real career and not an Artificial life like most Bankers live and when the contract is over or when you are no longer adding value to the bank you will be sent out to face the harsh reality which you would have faced. Then. My Dear, A chinese. Adage says'' The Best time to plant a tree was

ten years ago and the other time is now"
Remember we dont have a normal labor law in this country. So dont turn your self into a corporate slave. Like its done in our banks today.

Remember that we

5 Likes

Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by HXoritz1(m): 1:33pm On Apr 05, 2017
My friend bank jobs and teaching jobs are good but are time consuming..instead of having no time to relax and think for better opportunity its better you find something doing that takes at most 8hrs of ur time daily...so better go for less time consuming jobs...body nor be firewood...hala me on whatsapp @08161348289 for more info.
Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by Enoyoh: 1:36pm On Apr 05, 2017
Go for teaching Job

1 Like

Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by Godswillnwaoma(m): 1:38pm On Apr 05, 2017
runsguy:

So you already have a Masters and you were on a 35k MTN job? With an M.Sc? God help us, seducation beyond M.Sc is a WASTE OF MONEY AND TIME, People please invest in BUSINESS after B.Sc, don't waste your money and time of MSC AND PHD, Na poverty be that o
God bless u my nigga,i;ve been telling people about this same things. Doing masters and phd is simply a waste of time

3 Likes

Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by graphiti: 1:39pm On Apr 05, 2017
Billyonaire:
None, shun the slave life.

Go and learn a skill.

The best option so far!
But most are afraid to take risk in 'wasting time' acquiring skills.
undecided

#BYOB (BE~UR~OWN~BOSS)

2 Likes

Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by frankblinkz(m): 1:42pm On Apr 05, 2017
Banking job is been hyped.. truth be told,u will have job satisfaction while teaching and increase in knowledge and also how to handle children very important u knw, 4get abt the 40k salary..if u re good,organising a private lesson wud increase ur pay too and u ll still have quality time with ur family..... finito

3 Likes

Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by rallymento(m): 1:43pm On Apr 05, 2017
adorablepepple:
Go for teaching, you will have time for yourself. You can also organise extra lesson for your students if you are good. Good and smart teachers enjoy their reward on earth. You can also get something to do on the side

Please explain what you mean by having time for yourself? It baffles me.. when I hear this, there are lots of hard-work in working smart this is the truth people shy away from. This guy/ lady is about to finish his NYSC at his age he should focus on a career path and not "having time for himself"...He is young for god's sake.... for ambitious people like me, considering the dwindling education sector, and mediocrity in being a teacher in Nigeria, I will take up the 56k Bank job because i like challenging myself.

But on a serious note the God factor makes the difference irrespective of the choices he makes. So I will advice he seeks the face of God on this matter....Kpomkwem!

3 Likes

Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by Nobody: 1:43pm On Apr 05, 2017
preshdiva:
Good day everyone, I am a 2016 Batch A stream 1 Corp member passing out on April 7th,2017 by the grace of God. I recently got two job offers, a contract bank job (marketing) for 52k per month with commissions based on your input or a teaching job of 40k.
Aside the banks meagre pay, I feel it'd add to my professional work experience more than the teaching job+ I'd get to meet people who might help me in securing better positions tomorrow but then the stress and time. I really don't know what to do.
#maturedresponsesplease#
Whichever of those jobs you choose, do your best to ensure that a nairalander gets the other. #conexions

1 Like

Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by rimijoshua(m): 1:45pm On Apr 05, 2017
To me teaching is better...you can even do ur masters along d line....

1 Like

Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by koscielny(m): 1:48pm On Apr 05, 2017
Go for the teaching job,for it will give u time for ur life,bank job will take all ur time.

1 Like

Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by Incrizz(f): 2:09pm On Apr 05, 2017
saraki2019:
It is unpatriotic and ungodly for a single person to gamble between two paying jobs, when some have none.

Lol..
Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by elampiro(m): 2:10pm On Apr 05, 2017
preshdiva:
Good day everyone, I am a 2016 Batch A stream 1 Corp member passing out on April 7th,2017 by the grace of God. I recently got two job offers, a contract bank job (marketing) for 52k per month with commissions based on your input or a teaching job of 40k.
Aside the banks meagre pay, I feel it'd add to my professional work experience more than the teaching job+ I'd get to meet people who might help me in securing better positions tomorrow but then the stress and time. I really don't know what to do.
#maturedresponsesplease#

Is the school a private school or a public school? Go for the bank job if the school is privately owned.

Remember in the bank you can work your way from being a contract staff to permanent staff later, and there is no limit to which you can earn. You could earn 300k in no time when you are a permanent staff in the bank, and there is no limit from there based on promotions.

You can gain two years experience in one bank, then you apply to another for permanent job.

Remember, if you don't enter the banking industry now at your young age, you will never enter again once you clock 28 years.

But if the school is a public one, then you have a tough decision to make.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by jimmy1990: 2:15pm On Apr 05, 2017
Just go for one which u av passion for.
Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by Menzy86(m): 2:20pm On Apr 05, 2017
runsguy:

I get ur point but I love academics. Not half baked academics but REAL knowledge. No b all of us wan b multibillionnairs. Some of us love d Achebes and Newtons of this world who were VERY comfortable and respected and have their names eternally written in d sands of time through their works. And being an academic doesn't stop u from owning a business does it?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by Adebowale89(m): 2:20pm On Apr 05, 2017
if the bank job offer ain't marketing, I would have say go for it but bank marketing job and teaching has no difference as far as am concern

based on the time to gain another job, I would advise u to go for that teaching, why? because u can easily drop teaching job while banking job might be difficult to drop depend on the rules&conditions of the bank employment law
Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by Agumbankembu: 2:21pm On Apr 05, 2017
Nawa oh, all these kind small money, chai.
Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by ojoj(m): 2:28pm On Apr 05, 2017
My dear Sister, Please go for the teaching. As somebody said, banking is a modernized slavery. You wont regret going into teaching. For banking, you wont have time for yourself. My wife is a banker but she prefers to be called a bank worker. Thre is nothing in banking again. infact, my wife is seeking exit to take care of the kids. She has no time for the family especially the kids. PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEE, go for TEACHING! You wont regret it. All the best.

2 Likes

Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by omogidi234(m): 2:37pm On Apr 05, 2017
AllforJesus7:
I have a friend who took up a 50k (thereabout) bank job. For about 2 weeks it was honey moon.
But thereafter, every night she would cry to me and complain of how much she wanted out of the job.

1. No time for herself. (Working from early morning till late evening)
2. Massive pressure from her team leaders.
3. She was employed into the customer care dept. but she was still given targets and asked to bring customers.
4. She was tired of the job in less than a month.

I see people who perhaps have no knowledge of how it works in the bank asking you to choosr a bank job.
I would say choose wisely.

One million likes for you.

OP, this is your life. So whatever advice anyone gives you, you have the responsibility to and not to.

First and foremost, our lives are denominated in TIME. What you are able to do with time correctly would determine what impact you would make or not make in life.

I will opine that you choose a job that will enable you have time.

Take for example, if you took a job that makes you close between 2-3pm daily. There are still a lot you can do between 3-6pm daily.

You can even use that time to prepare and sit for additional qualification which in turn may fetch you a job in Chevron etc.

Your first job is not going to be your last job, but your first job could make or mar you.

3 Likes

Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by jmichael259(m): 2:49pm On Apr 05, 2017
preshdiva:
Good day everyone, I am a 2016 Batch A stream 1 Corp member passing out on April 7th,2017 by the grace of God. I recently got two job offers, a contract bank job (marketing) for 52k per month with commissions based on your input
but then the stress and time. I really don't know what to do.
#maturedresponsesplease#

Take the Teaching job. You have ur break period, evenings, weekends, term ends and public holidays to use for meditation, side hustles e.t.c. Plus schools are academic environments that are less hostile with no ridiculous targets and over trekking under rain and shine.

Trust me, the extra stress and headache is not equivalent to the extra 12,000..!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by Ebeleiscorupt: 2:49pm On Apr 05, 2017
preshdiva:
#maturedresponsesplease#

Op please take the 40k teaching job as it provides you with better opportunity.

52k banking job is nothing but slavery. With that stupid pay they won't you to resume early and close late, you will have to resume for work on some weekend.

With some extra coaching jobs in addition to that teaching job, your take home might be well over 100k per month.

1 Like

Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by oodua1stson: 2:51pm On Apr 05, 2017
AllforJesus7:
I have a friend who took up a 50k (thereabout) bank job. For about 2 weeks it was honey moon.
But thereafter, every night she would cry to me and complain of how much she wanted out of the job.

1. No time for herself. (Working from early morning till late evening)
2. Massive pressure from her team leaders.
3. She was employed into the customer care dept. but she was still given targets and asked to bring customers.
4. She was tired of the job in less than a month.

I see people who perhaps have no knowledge of how it works in the bank asking you to choosr a bank job.
I would say choose wisely.
you said my mind

1 Like

Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by Cchuks27(m): 3:01pm On Apr 05, 2017
No time to type long ... take the bank job
Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by Ifecoded(m): 3:14pm On Apr 05, 2017
Take the banking Job..... You'll have enough time to play Ludo when u back from work like my neighbor
Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by kingsmaila(m): 3:24pm On Apr 05, 2017
Go for teaching job with rest of mind and stress free and time for other thing. Bank job is no job with unrealistic target. I was a Bank worker sacked with no reason.

2 Likes

Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Apr 05, 2017
Go for the teaching job
Merits
You have time for yourself
You don't have to use all your salary to buy cloth for banking work
You get more teaching experience and even move on to schools that pay even better than 100k.
You can even combine private teaching/lesson for extra income or a little side business if you want
Holiday is free time...no praying for three day weekend every time.

Who says you can't get connections from a teaching job? Some parents actually take personal interest in the teachers of their kids if they are doing exceptionally well besides it's just 12k difference.
Banking jobs are just overhyped...in fact, you won't have high BP with all the target they are always setting

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

15 Jobs You Can Do From Home / NIMC April 2013 Interview At Abuja / 7 Reasons Nigerian Youth Are Highly Desperate For White Collar Jobs.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.