Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,397 members, 7,954,575 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 11:16 PM

52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? (25480 Views)

40k Teaching Job At Oke Afa In Isolo Lagos / Stanbic IBTC Bank Job Recruitment (8 Positions) / "N300k Job Or I Won't Work" - Slay Queen, Chinny Okekki (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by Origin(f): 3:53pm On Apr 05, 2017
At that rate you are already earning more with the teaching job. Do extra coaching or even other part time teaching to augment. Then move to neco waec jamb trainings then u open your school.

Hmmmm bank!!!!!. If you love your peace of mind and don't like threats. Leave it . If you don't meet target, do you think they will let you keep the job?
In this recession and with TSA and EFCC no body wants to open more accounts.

4 Likes

Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by Absuchat(m): 4:09pm On Apr 05, 2017
Don't go for either of them. For crying out loud, does 40 or 52k worth your time?
Dear,go learn a handwork, you will commit your time to your business..... Some of us (artisans) spend 40k or more a day....That doesn't change the fact that am a Bsc holder.
Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by muelzik(m): 4:13pm On Apr 05, 2017
Bank job overrated. Good advice, but if I were to be the op, I'd go for a job that will give me time to have multiple source of income.
GreenMavro:
angry angry angry angry

Congrats on your Job offers....as regards the two offers on the table, I will like to ask if you studied a accounting/banking related course? although this is not compulsory to get a bank job, but it will go a long way in developing a career with prospect in the banking industry.
Also know that as a marketer in a bank you will be faced with the herculean task of meeting up with the unrealistic target given to you, this might cause you to have night mares especially if you have a troublesome boss. Its cool starting your job life in a well structured and organized place like a bank, but mind you the bank job is demanding and you will have little or no time to look out for better job unlike teaching. But i think you should go with the bank offer, banking will make you think smart and have opportunity to meet and interact with bright minds, but mind you, you are a contract staff and your name is written in pencil, it can be erased anytime without benefit or compensation.

Goodluck
Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by albacete(m): 4:13pm On Apr 05, 2017
obisite:
You will never know how bank job is until you're into it, or have close pals in it,,,, bank job is cool, but the stress n timing, Sure you know some banks staf works on Saturday,
You can never have time for unself, except if you'll do play smart, since it's marketing, n can stand the stress, you can take it up, and still apply for job, if interviews come, just give excuse you're going to see client n go your interview,,

Teaching job, you do have more time for yourself, apply for job, can seek for space to attend, even apply for further study n combine

Been there, done that. Bank job no follow @ all. Imagine me going out for marketing on Saturdays, all in the name of meeting target.
Before u say Jack Robinson, u don clock 35 with nothing to show for it.

Take the teaching job and experience peace of mind.

1 Like

Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by IMASTEX: 4:17pm On Apr 05, 2017
adorablepepple:
Go for teaching, you will have time for yourself. You can also organise extra lesson for your students if you are good. Good and smart teachers enjoy their reward on earth. You can also get something to do on the side
You got my 100% support. Many persons don't know what brings real money is "time" to grow your business.
Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by odamaken(m): 4:20pm On Apr 05, 2017
GreenMavro:
angry angry angry angry

Congrats on your Job offers....as regards the two offers on the table, I will like to ask if you studied a accounting/banking related course? although this is not compulsory to get a bank job, but it will go a long way in developing a career with prospect in the banking industry.
Also know that as a marketer in a bank you will be faced with the herculean task of meeting up with the unrealistic target given to you, this might cause you to have night mares especially if you have a troublesome boss. Its cool starting your job life in a well structured and organized place like a bank, but mind you the bank job is demanding and you will have little or no time to look out for better job unlike teaching. But i think you should go with the bank offer, banking will make you think smart and have opportunity to meet and interact with bright minds, but mind you, you are a contract staff and your name is written in pencil, it can be erased anytime without benefit or compensation.

Goodluck
Banking will make you think smart as in how what has thinking smart got to do with counting money and recording monies received at the end of the day. now compare it with a teacher who does all the rigorous brain work and making sure the students deliver,
to the young graduate since the salary margin is not much take the teaching job and grow

1 Like

Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by niceair(m): 4:32pm On Apr 05, 2017
Gracealone:
Plain and simple. There is no future for you with any bank that pays you around 50k as of today.
I say this as a banker. You can be on contract till your children leave high school. A teaching job with 40k to start with is good. I have a friend that taught science in a school like yours b4 but now he is doing fine in his career in telecoms. Don't be deceived by prestige of working in a bank when you may be stranded and only to regret that decision. If you must join a bank, don't accept contract employment or non-officer cadre.

DAT ur friend in telecom which company is hr working for..? is the school located at ebutte metta cause a friend of mine got similar story.
Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by albacete(m): 4:34pm On Apr 05, 2017
felix000000:
Guy I will not deceive you is better you pick up that teaching job and forget about the banking job as contract staff, let me tell you the fact, I am a victim of contract staff presently in one of the banks, ever since then I have been trying to opt out no way, because of the economic situation we find our selves in this country, I have been working with the bank now for over 4yrs, no promotion no conversion the worse thing now is that, management of the bank made it known to all the contract staff that they should take off there mind from been converted to permanent staff that no such plan in their policy and almost all the banks now is not ready to convert there contract staff to permanent staff. If I have someone to sensitized me then like the way you having a lot of advice here it would have help me out. most of us as contract staff are complain everyday that we are tired of the job but we cant just opt out, it just as if we are trapped.

Digest this and thank me leter.

Exactly bro. If we had known from the onset, we for kukuma stay for house after service. But since we jumped into it without thinking of career path or job security, we are now paying for it dearly. U don't get breaks, (work from 8 to 6) if you are not arrested today because one of your customers committed fraud, your boss will abuse you and your generations for not meeting their ridiculous target.
And then, one useless girl will send u sms that she needs money to do hair. Money that u earned in the most hardest way possible

4 Likes

Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by placeofallure(f): 4:34pm On Apr 05, 2017
obisite:
You will never know how bank job is until you're into it, or have close pals in it,,,, bank job is cool, but the stress n timing, Sure you know some banks staf works on Saturday,
You can never have time for unself, except if you'll do play smart, since it's marketing, n can stand the stress, you can take it up, and still apply for job, if interviews come, just give excuse you're going to see client n go your interview,,

Teaching job, you do have more time for yourself, apply for job, can seek for space to attend, even apply for further study n combine

Bank jobs 50k? They are not even as rewarding as they used to be, well, it's flashy and everyone wants to be decked up in suits and ties no problem, but do you know some schools pay far higher and you don't have to bend double to earn that. My friend who works in a bank has had to scamper out of the church service on many Sundays because of emergency calls from his office. So your Saturdays and Sundays are not yours. I teach in a highbrow school on the Island. If you are smart, you will make headways. My take home is in six digits plus I get time to do other things- my tailoring and jewellery trade. My friend and colleague is also a caterer, in a month she does at least two jobs, So? Be smart young man.

1 Like

Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by runsguy: 5:03pm On Apr 05, 2017
Menzy86:
I get ur point but I love academics. Not half baked academics but REAL knowledge. No b all of us wan b multibillionnairs. Some of us love d Achebes and Newtons of this world who were VERY comfortable and respected and have their names eternally written in d sands of time through their works. And being an academic doesn't stop u from owning a business does it?

Ride on bro, you are totally right there, not everyone wants to be a billionaire. I respect that, academics can also take you to places like you pointed out. I am on that path right now myself but after a very thorough observation, I observe that even abroad, lecturers are just average people. TEACHERS REWARDS IS ACTUALLY IN HEAVEN, NOT HERE. Very few lecturers or academicians (1%) ever get to be the Achebes and Newtons of this world, the rest of them are just average people. Personally, I am GOING FOR THE MONEY even though I am on my postgrad right now. I wont settle for Newton and co but I respect your choice bro
Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by Lawlan: 5:30pm On Apr 05, 2017
Go for the teaching its not time consuming unlike banking job that is more or less like mordenized slavery. You can always get additional jobs in the evening like doing home tutoring to add up to your monthly income and you will always have enough time to yourself and relax more.
Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by Ningi2020(m): 5:40pm On Apr 05, 2017
bkool7:
Go for bank job .

The reward for teachers is in heaven , remember
And who tell u say he needs heaven now
Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by modelsms10: 5:47pm On Apr 05, 2017
Menzy86:
I'll giv u an example with myself. I resigned my MTN customer care job in dec last yr to take up dis 'common' Npower teach scheme of d federal govt. I was earning 35k as an agent with 40 crazy unflexible and frustrating hours work (plus saturdays and sundays depending on schedule) sometimes. The Npower as we all know pays just 30 but in d last three months on my own, I have made almost 300k MINUS my Npower allowee because of d flexibility of the work. I will start my PHD in a few months and further ny career in PEACE! Summary: I will NEVER pick a bank job over teaching that pays as much as 40k already. I've thought b4 and believe me, u stay really sharp and focused as a teacher UNLESS u r a total slowpoke. Be wise my dear. God help u.
My man abeg wetin u do get 300k? Hope say u no do juju?
Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by dnawah(m): 6:28pm On Apr 05, 2017
preshdiva:
Good day everyone, I am a 2016 Batch A stream 1 Corp member passing out on April 7th,2017 by the grace of God. I recently got two job offers, a contract bank job (marketing) for 52k per month with commissions based on your input or a teaching job of 40k.
Aside the banks meagre pay, I feel it'd add to my professional work experience more than the teaching job+ I'd get to meet people who might help me in securing better positions tomorrow but then the stress and time. I really don't know what to do.
#maturedresponsesplease#
teacher have vacations but bankers don't,they close 4 or 5 but bankers start the real work then.they don't sleep in schools over night but bankers do sometimes.they can correct they mistakes but bankers cannot(the money don go be say e go,na u salary go hear am)
Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by Nobody: 6:29pm On Apr 05, 2017
albacete:

Exactly bro. If we had known from the onset, we for kukuma stay for house after service. But since we jumped into it without thinking of career path or job security, we are now paying for it dearly. U don't get breaks, (work from 8 to 6) if you are not arrested today because your customer committed fraud, your boss will abuse you and your generations for not meeting their ridiculous target.
And then, one useless girl will send u Pm that she needs money to do hair. Money that u earned in the most hardest way.

Lol @ the bolded. Are too many NL ladies sending you pms?
Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by toye440: 6:29pm On Apr 05, 2017
Bank job is a modern day slavery and not pensionable at any moment u r fired, and u don't hv much time to ur self, plus d difference is just 12 plus enough rest and u get to improve ur ppl skill as well as communication skills. U know ur self better u know what u want, but truth be told if d school job is pensionable go for it.
Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by Bossman(m): 6:40pm On Apr 05, 2017
I'd suggest you take the teaching job for now. Then use that extra time to learn something like computer programming. Automation is the wave of the future. And Nigeria is ripe for it. One of the highest paying jobs there in Naija (even here in the US) is software development/programming. You can do all the learning on your own for free via the internet. The teaching job will allow you to put the time required into it. Yes, programming is not easy, however, it pays very well. Part of my own job is to automate a lot of tasks that all those bank tellers are doing. Pretty soon, there will be no need for those folks in the bank (just like it is here). You will rarely see more than 1 or 2 tellers in the banks here int he USA. And you will rarely see a customer in any bank. Everything they do has been automated. I expect Nigeria to get there soon. And programmers will continue to be in high demand there.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

3 Likes

Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by albacete(m): 6:50pm On Apr 05, 2017
CFCman:

Lol @ the bolded. Are too many NL ladies sending you pms?
No be my gf oo. Just an acquaintance. Asking for handouts. So that I will tell her to come to my house and collect it. Even with the blow, I no dey give shishi.
Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by Nobody: 6:56pm On Apr 05, 2017
albacete:

No be my gf oo. Just an acquaintance. Asking for handouts. So that I will tell her to come to my house and collect it. Even with the blow, I no dey give shishi.

Haha.
She may be thinking that every guy that works in a bank has enough money to waste on expensive drinks at Quilox club.
I'm not against helping friends/acquaintances when they are in genuine need, but when the need becomes frequent, it really gets annoying
Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by Fortune212(m): 6:56pm On Apr 05, 2017
Become self employed today, Do your thing at your own time.

I will teach you one secret today, Nigeria have over 160 million citizens, Come and learn how you can take advantage of this massive population and make N50 each from at least 10,000 Nigerians every month. Lets do the maths, N50 x 10,000 = N500,000 income monthly straight into your bank account.
Super easy, call me if you are interested 08141539562
Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by Teawhy2011: 7:03pm On Apr 05, 2017
Abeg gv me one of d job o! If na teaching,I cn teach Marketing/civic edu/govt for SS classes. Social studies/civic edu for junior classes,I cn relocate.caontact me on:08065019331

1 Like

Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by Localamos(m): 7:29pm On Apr 05, 2017
N40k teaching job any day any time.
Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by albacete(m): 7:42pm On Apr 05, 2017
CFCman:

Haha.
She may be thinking that every guy that works in a bank has enough money to waste on expensive drinks at Quilox club.
I'm not against helping friends/acquaintances when they are in genuine need, but when the need becomes frequent, it really gets annoying

I tire for their mata. I help the ones that have genuine needs, not her type.
Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by Enddystar(m): 7:42pm On Apr 05, 2017
I presume the 40k job is with a private school? If this is correct then it is also a 'contract' job. I will advise you take the banking job, I'm a marketer with a commercial bank and I tell you its not as bad as people see it especially when it comes to target. Truthfully, banking job generally is very demanding but if you are a smart marketer, you will have an ample time to attend to other things including side businesses. As a banker, you have opportunities of growth even outside the bank, you learn more from your job and people you meet as time goes on. Currently, I combine my banking job with Alliance in Motion Global business where I earn far more than my monthly bank salary yet I still keep my banking job.
Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by mytym1: 8:16pm On Apr 05, 2017
Go for the teaching job
Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by caphykk: 9:03pm On Apr 05, 2017
I'll advice you take d teaching job cos u ll ave time for yourself, at least schools closes at most 4pm, u can enroll in either any skill or further your studies u also have d holidays,but banking job,no time and u only have public holiday. After a year or two and through with your skills you can now be independent to establish
Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by Kazrem(m): 9:33pm On Apr 05, 2017
preshdiva:
Good day everyone, I am a 2016 Batch A stream 1 Corp member passing out on April 7th,2017 by the grace of God. I recently got two job offers, a contract bank job (marketing) for 52k per month with commissions based on your input or a teaching job of 40k.
Aside the banks meagre pay, I feel it'd add to my professional work experience more than the teaching job+ I'd get to meet people who might help me in securing better positions tomorrow but then the stress and time. I really don't know what to do.
#maturedresponsesplease#
It all depends on you. One will afford you free time to do a side gig, another would not. If I were you, I would choose teaching. But unfortunately I am not you.

1 Like

Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by 1234onyekwe: 10:16pm On Apr 05, 2017
To be honest I didn't know that teaching job is that well recognized over a banking job for more than 80% of NL 's who commented to have gone for it .kudos to all those who started their carrier path with teaching.

1 Like

Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by Sike(m): 10:25pm On Apr 05, 2017
I was here.
Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by pressplay411(m): 10:50pm On Apr 05, 2017
adorablepepple:
Go for teaching, you will have time for yourself. You can also organise extra lesson for your students if you are good. Good and smart teachers enjoy their reward on earth. You can also get something to do on the side

Why you do him like that?
Will you marry a teacher or a banker? Be honest for once. grin

Back to OP, it's a choice, if you're passionate about impacting knowledge then it's a no-brainer, Teaching it is.
But just as you asserted banking presents better opportunities, contacts, CV boosting et all. You didn't mention your course of study. The choice is yours, your affinity improves your ability.

1 Like

Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by Maccoy507: 12:09am On Apr 06, 2017
bkool7:
Go for bank job .

The reward for teachers is in heaven , remember
I dey suspect u, e b like say u don teach taya.
Re: 52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? by aigjoe(m): 3:28am On Apr 06, 2017
well, all as been said. All I have to tell you, is that your target in the bank, minimum is 10 million and plus other waka waka stress, and at the end you may quit after six months, if you can't meet your targets + no new connection at the end.Because you need your current connections to meet your targets

But as a teacher, you must have good people skills and patience, because a child's parent can be the connection you are looking for.....

I advise you to pray, and weigh your option by your self, because nobody in nairaland will be with you, in the up's and downs of your work life.....

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

15 Jobs You Can Do From Home / 5 Statements That Can Destroy Your Job Search / NIMC April 2013 Interview At Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.