Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,120 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:21 AM

Couple Married For 71 Years Dies Just Four Minutes Apart - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Couple Married For 71 Years Dies Just Four Minutes Apart (917 Views)

2 Out Of 3 Kids Are Not Mine - Man Married For 12 Years / Couple That Have Been Together For 71 Years, Since 1948 / Blind Couple Who Have Been Married For 40 Years Tell Their Love Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Couple Married For 71 Years Dies Just Four Minutes Apart by irririchris(m): 8:25pm On Apr 05, 2017
Imagine spending seven decades with someone and then dying less than five minutes apart.

That’s what happened last week to a British couple that had been married for 71 years. Wilf Russell, aged 93, died on March 29 at 6:50 a.m. Amazingly, his 91-year old wife, Vera, passed away just a few minutes later, at 6:54 a.m.

The couple were childhood sweethearts. They got engaged when they were just 16 and 18 and were married on Sept. 5, 1945. They had a family and lived together until Wilf, a veteran of World War Two, was diagnosed with dementia last year and moved into a care home in Wigston, Leicestershire.

After he stopped recognizing her during visits, Vera’s health declined as well, according to the couple’s granddaughter, Stephanie Welch. Vera was admitted to a hospital in January, just three miles from where Wilf was. She died not having been told of her husband’s death a few minutes prior.

Welch says her grandmother’s final words were about Wilf, "The last thing she said to me was: 'We're a right pair, aren't we?'” She believes Vera stayed put until the time was right. "I think she was waiting for him to go. She was broken-hearted."

1 Like

Re: Couple Married For 71 Years Dies Just Four Minutes Apart by stephleena(f): 8:26pm On Apr 05, 2017
awww...continues in heaven.

2 Likes

Re: Couple Married For 71 Years Dies Just Four Minutes Apart by matrix199(m): 8:31pm On Apr 05, 2017
So touched.

1 Like

Re: Couple Married For 71 Years Dies Just Four Minutes Apart by taofeek11(m): 8:36pm On Apr 05, 2017
I pray mine can be better than dt with good health, fear and love of God @ heart...Amin

1 Like

Re: Couple Married For 71 Years Dies Just Four Minutes Apart by sisisioge: 8:44pm On Apr 05, 2017
Yeah...they walked life journey together and walked each other home. Life can be good...it really can.

1 Like

Re: Couple Married For 71 Years Dies Just Four Minutes Apart by decatalyst(m): 9:11pm On Apr 05, 2017
Awww...quite touching and emotional.

They enjoyed sweet love and care.

2 Likes

Re: Couple Married For 71 Years Dies Just Four Minutes Apart by Ikpewe: 11:57pm On Apr 05, 2017
It's so emotional

1 Like

Re: Couple Married For 71 Years Dies Just Four Minutes Apart by Nobody: 1:47am On Apr 06, 2017
Borrowing this lyrics from marina and the diamonds - immortal

"And if the world ends in fire and the seas are frozen in time there'll be just one survivor; the memory that I was yours and you were mine"

For something so basic as this its really hard to find this, this thread has made me depressed cry

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Amazing 3 Year Old Doing The Dishes... / Nigerian Man Celebrates His Aging Grand Mother As She Turns 125yrs Old (photos) / Counselors In The House Please Advise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.