Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,031 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:02 AM

Conducting A Burial Ceremony In Edo State - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Conducting A Burial Ceremony In Edo State (6740 Views)

Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi / MY EXPERIENCE AT A BURIAL CEREMONY IN IGBOLAND!!! / Wives Of Late Ooni Of Ife At Burial Ceremony (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Conducting A Burial Ceremony In Edo State by omoge(f): 6:57pm On Jan 23, 2007
Any one with idea of how Burial ceremony is held in Benin speaking part of Edo state?

what are the burial ceremonies are like if

if a brother dies

a father dies?

I will appreciate your response.
Thanks.
Re: Conducting A Burial Ceremony In Edo State by LiquidMind(m): 11:01pm On Jan 23, 2007
If your brother or your father was a king you will need to look for seven heads

before you can bury your dead,
Re: Conducting A Burial Ceremony In Edo State by Maneater1(f): 9:23am On Jan 24, 2007
you will have to cut all your hair off.
Re: Conducting A Burial Ceremony In Edo State by akhy4life: 9:29am On Jan 24, 2007
Liqiudmind, where did you get that notin from? Those where in the olden days. These days,It is not praticed like that,esp in these comtemporary days where there is civilisation.
Re: Conducting A Burial Ceremony In Edo State by omoge(f): 1:12pm On Jan 24, 2007
akhy4life,

do you know the process of burial for a brother?
my friend brother just died and they are requesting money, so far they have got 160,000 naira.
and they are gonna bury him in his father's compound he was told, why all the money?
Re: Conducting A Burial Ceremony In Edo State by LoverBwoy(m): 2:13pm On Jan 24, 2007
Apart from the burial arrangement and paying the staffs,
they have to do a big party probably need about 4 cows and several bags of rice, everything calls for celebration in nigeria wink

oh its normal, you will need about 1million naira, you know many people looked upto him and they will be angry because he passed away, you have to pay those people so they can carry on
Re: Conducting A Burial Ceremony In Edo State by feelgood(m): 2:53pm On Jan 24, 2007
OMOGE
Are the parents still alive? If so, then no need for elaborate burial except your friend wants to make it a big 'do'.
Basically, burials in (southern) Nigeria are elaborate and expensive because you will have to budget for

entertainment of guests - which (usually also) includes a live music band - ie assorted food and drinks
undertaker's fees - prices vary depends on one's taste
professional wailers - common in Benin
(plastic and textile/material)souvenirs for guests - friends, family and associates usually 'contribute' theirs with 'courtesies from, '
hiring fees for chairs/tables and canopies
labour fees for the cooks, butcher, etc
printing of brochures, programme sheets, etc with the dead's picture adorning same

When you factor in the above, then the N160,000 is way too small for a standard burial in that part of the country. The 'bigger the
person is 'deemed' to have been while alive, the more elaborate /expensive the ceremony will be.

Actually, the cost could really be far less than N160,000; that is if your friend is able to withstand family and peer pressure
and claim to be a deeply unbending religious zealot. But then we have cases where in such instances, the zealots are
told in very clear terms to do the 'customary' thing or not step within the compound if he loves his life. You could also avoid
the high cost by refusing to take the body home and burying the same offshore. However, if your friend's immediate family agree and
insists on a modest burial, they will usually have their way - IF ONLY THEY CAN AGREE AND THE MEANING OF IMMEDIATE FAMILY WELL DEFINED.

In the northern part of the country, this is usually not the case as bodies are buried same day where possible because of religious beliefs that
are strictly adhered to unlike contemporaries (of the same religion) in the south.

Hope this epistle answers your question smiley
Re: Conducting A Burial Ceremony In Edo State by omoge(f): 4:45pm On Jan 24, 2007
thank you feelgood, quite interesting, he is a young fellow about 25 with i think 3 kids. the mother is still alive.
well, those money were requested from the 2 senior siblings abroad and i was like what?? is that real??
by the way, it all happened back there in their country.
Re: Conducting A Burial Ceremony In Edo State by omoge(f): 4:50pm On Jan 24, 2007
WOW!!!

just puzzling to me the way they do it.
Re: Conducting A Burial Ceremony In Edo State by osegwu(m): 2:23pm On Jan 26, 2007
Actually, most of that money is going to be used in feeding more than have of the extended family members who will come two, three weeks before the actual burial ceremony. You did the grave, rent Canopies, chairs and tables and of course the musicians and they are pretty expensive these days. These are most of the things that consume money during burial in Nigeria and it is a practice that should be stopped.

Man-eater:

you will have to cut all your hair off.

Learn not to bear false witness on anything because that thing never happen again so try and be current
LiquidMind:

If your brother or your father was a king you will need to look for seven heads

before you can bury your dead,

My God you guys are scary!!! We did not even grow up to meet such practice and here you are still mentioning them to someone who really needs a genuine advice? Man come of it. These things were mare tales and people should should stop bearing false tales if you get my drift.

And less i forgot, Burial is a money making machine all over the country so Burials in Nigeria generally are expensive.

Still me

(1) (Reply)

What Was Wrong With Our Indigenous Gods? / Will You Allow Your Mother-in-law Live With You? - Funny Women / Greece, Philosophy, And The Afrocentric Obsession With Ancient Egypt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.