Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,248 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:23 AM

The Stench Of Ignorance Of Nigerian Christians - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Stench Of Ignorance Of Nigerian Christians (4339 Views)

Nigerian Christians Protesting In Akure Against Killings In Benue And Others / "Buhari's 2-Day Visit To Lagos A Slap On Nigerian Christians" - Catholic Bishop / Sam Omatseye: "Nigerian Christians Should Arm Themselves Against Attacks" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Stench Of Ignorance Of Nigerian Christians by tosyne2much(m): 12:34pm On Apr 09, 2017
Christianity which is the way of life, is aimed at imitating Jesus Christ who suffered to redeem mankind from the power of death and gives us a second chance. This way of life which is called "Christianity" today is under threats in Nigeria, and has caused many of us mental bankruptcy, archaic way of reasoning and has set us backward as a result of some negative attitudes of believers as a result of lack of exposure, over spirituality, ignorance, foolishness, poverty, lack of common sense, etc 

Many of us were brought up with many negative beliefs which have uninstalled our common sense and have installed us with mental bankruptcy. 

Without wasting time, I'm going to point out the stench of ignorance of many Nigerian Christians. 

1. Disturbing People from Sleeping at Odd hour

Nothing is as annoying as when you return from work at late hour and then decide to take a few hour sleep and then someone comes with a megaphone at 4am and starts disturbing your sleep. Many Christians inconvenient people with this barbaric act but they don't see anything wrong in it but anyone that frowns against this inconvenience caused is labeled an anti-christ by the people of my country. Some churches even compete with each other by the loudness of their megaphones. Things like this don't happen in civilized countries where things are don't decently and in order. We inconvenient people in this part of the world and we say we are practicing Christianity.

2. Seeking Pastor's endorsement before approaching a Woman

Another way ignorance thrives among many Christians in Nigeria is their over-spiritual attitude when it comes to picking a future partner. They will tell you that marriage is more spiritual than physical and I laugh at their ignorance each time I hear this statement. Many people have been swayed into the wrong path with this notion that marriage is more spiritual than physical. They will tell you that spiritual compatibility supercedes any other thing, without minding how notorious the supposed person is. The people that irk me most are those that will scribble down the names of all their toasters out of ignorance and will present it to their pastors for endorsement. These are people that are fond of saying "my pastor says this, my pastor says that"

3. Jeopardizing their Lives due to over-spirituality

Many Christians have lost their lives as a result of over spirituality and ignorance. It amazes how somebody will be very ill and instead of the person to seek proper medical attention, he or she will employ spirituality in things that has to do with life and death. Some will even rebuke you for seeking medical attention and that it's not the trait of a good Christian. Although, it's God that heals one from every disease but that still doesn't change the fact that one must take care of himself. The Bible even says that people perish for lack of knowledge, which is what we are experiencing among Nigerians today. If the whites always go to the mountain to pray like Nigerians for something hat lneeds mental/practical solution, I believe there would be no cure for any disease till date. That is the level at which ignorance has taken ignorance to

4. Worshiping their Pastors

I have fine tuned my instincts in such a way that I know what's right and wrong, what to embrace and what to disbelieve. I don't see pastors as "perfect beings" because human are generally prone to imperfections, whether in statements or actions, so you can't expect these men to be right at all times. Sometimes, they view things from narrow perspectives and come up with ill-thought theories which I sometimes do not agree with but that doesn't mean they are fake or something. The truth is that they can't be always right but when you have a contrary opinion to a pastor's assertion, you're told to keep shut and that you can't know more than them. Permit me to say that the way some Christians even worship their pastors and crawl at their feets is even more than the way they worship God Himsel, and the most annoying thing is that these same people can't even take a bow for their own husbands or parents, . They are people who normally disturb their pastors every now and then for things that can practically be solved with common sense.

5. Nigerian Christians Perceptions towards Female Trousers 

This has been a very controversial debate for centuries even though there is no biblical law that specifically talks about who should wear a skirt or trouser except "Deuteronomy 22:5" that admonishes us not to live as a transvestite, and this has to do with more than just clothing, but a life that in every way emulates the opposite sex. In this part of the world, Christians bother themselves so much over irrelevant things even more than the heaven itself. We view things from the perspective of ignorance and then it becomes a law people must follow. I used to have a lecturer in school (Deeper Life Pastor) who doesn't even allow you into his office if you have a trouser on). In Nigeria, the stench of ignorance is so much that wearing of trouser is a determinant of who will make heaven or not, that's why we tag ladies who wear skirts on the shoulders as "true believes" while we label those who wear trousers as candidates of hell fire. Ask these people about dressing evolution and how trouser even came into existence, they don't even know. In fact, they don't even know how the trouser came into existence.

6. Weapons are from the pit of hell

Sometimes, I'm forced to agree with atheists each time they claim that over-religious people are the most ignorant people you can ever come across, because these people will never admit they are ignorant and will always find a suitable Bible verse to back up their ignorance. Many religious leaders impose fear in members by telling them how weavons are from dead bodies. I mean, what's the difference between the N50 plaiting thread recommended by some churches compared to Brazilian hair? Are the two not the same objects that only passed through different processing if not that ignorance and mediocrity thrive in Nigeria? That's why some Christian ladies find it very hard to find husbands even at old age due to poor taste in dressing and fashion.

7. Attributing every Misfortune to Witchcrafts 

People believe so much in witches and wizards even more than they believe in God. It's very evident that religious people in my country don't blame themselves for their own misfortunes but will always look for a way to attribute any human error to the devil's attack. That is, when they fail an exam, it's always the plan of the devil for them to fail; when they experience accident due to lack of safety precautions, it's usually the plot of witches for their lives; when they are poor as a result of misplaced priorities, it's usually the plan of devil for them to be poor. In fact, ignorance thrives in the lives of many Christians in Nigeria to the extent that you will see them gather to accuse a sick woman that needs medication attention as a witch who just evolved from a bird to a human. Why don't these things happen in Lekki, Banana Island and the likes? Why does it only happen in a place where poor and ignorant people dominate? The one that annoys me most is that erroneous animals are even stigmatized as witches by the people of my country. E.g, owl, cat, scorpion, etc

8. The use of Electronic Devices in place of Bible

The rate at which backward and archaic mentality in this part of the world call for urgent attention to the extent that even the educated ones haven't found cure to their own ignorance. I have heard so many pastors advising members to desist from watching TV, Facebook, Twitter and BBM, if truly they want to make heaven. The one that annoys me most is that some people condemn any Christian who works in a Brewery. When you think you've heard enough, some christians will begin a moronic argumemt whether it's ideal for a Christian to use electronic device in place of a hard copy Bible, and the first thing you will hear is that "how do one chase a demon away with an IPad?" This stench of ignorance is usually common with Nigerians who can't afford these things, but rather condemn it just to justify their illiteracy and shortsightedness.

9. They create doctrines for others to follow

Many of us will agree that many people use their own tradition, likes and dislikes to form doctrines in Nigerian churches which every member must follow. Take for example, just because someone was brought up by his parents never to wear gold or earrings, by the time this person finds himself pastoring a church, he makes it a doctrine and will find a Bible verse to impose fear in them. In fact, I know of two fellowships in my school who don't allow workers to wear jean trouser or keep teddy beards undecided. You can imagine the height of that ignorance? 

10. Our Mentality about Haircut

Another ignorance displayed by Nigerian Christians is the stigma they place on hairstyles. Many preachers are fond of telling members not to go on any other hair cut other than gorimapa and low cut if they really want to make heaven..I remember when I boarded a bus from Oshodi to Ejigbo when one of the passengers began to preach and talked about how those on Obama and afro haircut are not children of God but candidate of hell. This is the stench of ignorance of Nigerian Christians

Brothers and sisters, the best we can do is obey God and follow his commandments. Let's not mentally enslave ourselves or put ourselves in mental bankruptcy under the guise of religion. Christianity is sweet but nah Nigerians spoil am.

May God help us 

I don't know if this makes sense 

Cc
Lalasticlala

Written by: Tosyne2much

Curled from http://www.tosyne2much.com/2017/04/the-stench-of-ignorance-of-nigerian.html

17 Likes 9 Shares

Re: The Stench Of Ignorance Of Nigerian Christians by dingbang(m): 12:44pm On Apr 09, 2017
Why do Nigerians think the bible contains some sort of powers that can expel demons.. Some even go as far as worshipping their bibles

Look let me tell y'all.. The name Jesus is the only authorized symbol dat destroys principalities and powers and not the bible.. So therefore, judging people who use gadgets in the church is just laughable to me.

My opinion..

1 Like

Re: The Stench Of Ignorance Of Nigerian Christians by Nobody: 12:46pm On Apr 09, 2017
grin Weavons are from dead bodies or mami water grin.....well I don't believe this shit...a lady using wool is not different from a lady using weavons.....both are attachments.....I believe whatever you attach to your hair is called attachment.

But being natural doesn't mean anything.... you can choose to be artificial or natural
We all have our taste.

The issue of wearing trousers....the whites who introduced Christianity to us don't even care about whatever you wear to your place of worship.....but here in Nigeria, I think we don't know the difference BTW religion and culture.....that's it.....we too dey carry am on top our heads like gala.

2 Likes

Re: The Stench Of Ignorance Of Nigerian Christians by Epositive(m): 12:49pm On Apr 09, 2017
smiley
Re: The Stench Of Ignorance Of Nigerian Christians by henrylowe(m): 12:50pm On Apr 09, 2017
Everything you said is nothing but the bitter truth.. Our problem in this nation is not Christianitt but ignorance and archaic mentality

I also grew up with the notion that any lady who wears trouser can't make heaven and I begin to ask myself if all the female wearing trouser in the who universe will be thrown into the lake of fire.. So pathetic!! undecided undecided
Re: The Stench Of Ignorance Of Nigerian Christians by Epositive(m): 12:52pm On Apr 09, 2017
dingbang:
Why do Nigerians think the bible contains some sort of powers that can expel demons.. Some even go as far as worshipping their bibles

Look let me tell y'all.. The name Jesus is the only authorized symbol dat destroys principalities and powers and not the bible.. So therefore, judging people who use gadgets in the church is just laughable to me.

My opinion..

you mean say holy broom no dey work baba cheesy

long time smiley
Re: The Stench Of Ignorance Of Nigerian Christians by dingbang(m): 12:54pm On Apr 09, 2017
Epositive:

long time smiley
holy broom ke.. Lol.. The disciples casted out demons in his name.. There was nothing like holy nonsense then.. grin
Re: The Stench Of Ignorance Of Nigerian Christians by dingbang(m): 12:54pm On Apr 09, 2017
Epositive:

long time smiley
holy broom ke.. Lol.. The disciples casted out demons in his name.. There was nothing like holy whatever then.. grin
Re: The Stench Of Ignorance Of Nigerian Christians by dingbang(m): 12:55pm On Apr 09, 2017
Epositive:

long time smiley
holy broom ke.. Lol.. The disciples casted out demons in his name.. There was nothing like holy nonsense then.. grin
Re: The Stench Of Ignorance Of Nigerian Christians by profhezekiah: 12:56pm On Apr 09, 2017
Well what can I say but I found some heresies in what was written wearing of trousers by females, if as a christian I mean a christian nt a church goer Holy Spirit will convict U either ryt or wrong,when a trre is good it will bear a good fruit but how can a bad tree bear a gud fruit,if U like continue,issue of church if doctrine is in the Bible U better obey or face hell, weavon and earrings,necklace and others, the BIBLE says adore urself in modest apparel nt with broiden hair,gold or costly arrear, even as a muslim U cant add anything to ur hair, so what can we say abt christians. THE CHOICE IS URS IF YOU WANT TO GET TO HEAVEN ACCEPT JESUS CHRIST AS UR LORD AND PERSONAL SAVIOUR, OBEY EVERYTHING IN THE BIBLE AND THE HOLY SPIRIT WILL MINISTER TO YOU THAT YOU ARE THE SON AND DAUGHTER OF GOD. SHALOM
Re: The Stench Of Ignorance Of Nigerian Christians by AyamConfidence(m): 12:57pm On Apr 09, 2017
You know even if atheism isn't excusable I don't blame atheists at times cos the narrow mindedness of many "professed" Christians is quite appalling

You see educated people drop their power of reasoning at the gate to the church and then go in brainless and you expect no ridicule?? Shocking

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Stench Of Ignorance Of Nigerian Christians by CplusJason: 12:58pm On Apr 09, 2017
The Stench Of Ignorance Of Nigerian Christians

Lol, i just love the title. grin

2 Likes

Re: The Stench Of Ignorance Of Nigerian Christians by AyamConfidence(m): 1:01pm On Apr 09, 2017
dingbang:
GBAM!!! people just like to attach undue importance to objects so much that the most important matters are relegated to the background leaving them as worshippers of their so called holy objects... Gosh

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Stench Of Ignorance Of Nigerian Christians by dingbang(m): 1:01pm On Apr 09, 2017
Tosyn2much u suppose add Muslims to the list because na them judge pass..

2 Likes

Re: The Stench Of Ignorance Of Nigerian Christians by 1k001(m): 1:02pm On Apr 09, 2017
The ignorance is unfortunate and a lot of the religious leaders are complicit as it serves them to have a blind fold.

My interest in particular is where this intersects with health and causes plenty of illness and suffering. Many christians will tell you only sinners get sick or that all your faith should be in a spiritual healer. It's a big lie that I refute with data in this post.

https://www.nairaland.com/3731696/being-religious-doesnt-preserve-health

Christians need to start opening their eyes to avoid being misled!
Re: The Stench Of Ignorance Of Nigerian Christians by AyamConfidence(m): 1:05pm On Apr 09, 2017
suzan404:
grin Weavons are from dead bodies or mami water grin.....well I don't believe this shit...a lady using wool is not different from a lady using weavons.....both are attachments.....I believe whatever you attach to your hair is called attachment.

But being natural doesn't mean anything.... you can choose to be artificial or natural
We all have our taste.

The issue of wearing trousers....the whites who introduced Christianity to us don't even care about whatever you wear to your place of worship.....but here in Nigeria, I think we don't know the difference BTW religion and culture.....that's it.....we too dey carry am on top our heads like gala.

most people follow the traditions set out for them by their pastors without even checking to see if those things are true

The most annoying part is how they boldly judge, condemn and sentence people as if it lies in their power...smh

1 Like

Re: The Stench Of Ignorance Of Nigerian Christians by AyamConfidence(m): 1:11pm On Apr 09, 2017
1k001:
The ignorance is unfortunate and a lot of the religious leaders are complicit as it serves them to have a blind fold.

My interest in particular is where this intersects with health and causes plenty of illness and suffering. Many christians will tell you only sinners get sick or that all your faith should be in a spiritual healer. It's a big lie that I refute with data in this post.

https://www.nairaland.com/3731696/being-religious-doesnt-preserve-health

Christians need to start opening their eyes to avoid being misled!
as for that health part...I weak finish... They'll tell you they never fall sick...who doesn't fall sick?? Even headache or stomach ache na sickness...the worst foolishness is that when matter don dey go left, instead of them to go for treatment and then pray for God to help the treatment effective, they simply go and start sleeping in the church while they get worse after they'll start blaming God or the Devil for any negative outcome

Smh

1 Like

Re: The Stench Of Ignorance Of Nigerian Christians by Nobody: 1:16pm On Apr 09, 2017
AyamConfidence:
most people follow the traditions set out for them by their pastors without even checking to see if those things are true

The most annoying part is how they boldly judge, condemn and sentence people as if it lies in their power...smh
Lol.....most of the pastors we have here in Nigeria are terrible liars......the first time I attended one church like that.....the pastor started cursing his members....he said 'if you don't pay your tithes,you will die by fire'.....lol I just use vex comot leave the church.....God who gave the commandment didn't curse or made it compulsory.... it's just necessary.... when you have,you give....some people too are just daft and dumb.....they won't bother to check their bible if what their pastor said is the truth

Na unemployment turn most of them to pastor.....God is not blind or deaf....he knows the right thing...... patiently waiting for the judgement day sha sad

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Stench Of Ignorance Of Nigerian Christians by dingbang(m): 1:16pm On Apr 09, 2017
AyamConfidence:
GBAM!!! people just like to attach undue importance to objects so much that the most important matters are relegated to the background leaving them as worshippers of their so called holy objects... Gosh
my brother...no wonder Christ said his people perish due to lack of knowledge. I am going to the church and some stupid fool is judging me because I didn't carry my bible.. Since I didn't carry it na, I am d devil himself.. Mchew..

Even if the pastor says turn to ur bibles and read from verse so so and so.. Then I pick up my phone and open it, some stupid usher will look at me with some judgemental look.. Same ushers that have bible app in their phones too.. I laugh at the foolishness of men
Re: The Stench Of Ignorance Of Nigerian Christians by Nobody: 1:18pm On Apr 09, 2017
suzan404:

We all have our taste.

Looool grin
Re: The Stench Of Ignorance Of Nigerian Christians by dingbang(m): 1:19pm On Apr 09, 2017
AyamConfidence:
as for that health part...I weak finish... They'll tell you they never fall sick...who doesn't fall sick?? Even headache or stomach ache na sickness...the worst foolishness is that when matter don dey go left, instead of them to go for treatment and then pray for God to help the treatment effective, they simply go and start sleeping in the church while they get worse after they'll start blaming God or the Devil for any negative outcome

Smh
looool pastors think malaria is the only sickness in this life.. grin. Lol I felt like slapping one who told me he hasn't falling sick.. These people can lie pass d devil himself sha..

1 Like

Re: The Stench Of Ignorance Of Nigerian Christians by Nobody: 1:20pm On Apr 09, 2017
11)Taking everything of the Bible to be 100% true

I really don't know why most Christians would believe everything in the Bible. The Bible is a collection of fictional ideas, characters and events right from genesis first verse to Revelation last verse
Re: The Stench Of Ignorance Of Nigerian Christians by AyamConfidence(m): 1:22pm On Apr 09, 2017
dingbang:
my brother...no wonder Christ said his people perish due to lack of knowledge. I am going to the church and some stupid fool is judging me because I didn't carry my bible.. Since I didn't carry it na, I am d devil himself.. Mchew..

Even if the pastor says turn to ur bibles and read from verse so so and so.. Then I pick up my phone and open it, some stupid usher will look at me with some judgemental look.. Same ushers that have bible app in their phones too.. I laugh at the foolishness of men
like the message is different ooo...na that same usher you go see for betting shop ooo but for church he dey form holy...I hate it when people judge...even Jesus said to stop judging...only God can judge but if you tell them that one you're just wasting spit

1 Like

Re: The Stench Of Ignorance Of Nigerian Christians by Nobody: 1:23pm On Apr 09, 2017
lovelygurl:

Looool grin
grin......that was how one woman stopped me on my way to church.....she started preaching to me..'sister in the lord,pls stop using this attachment.... it is bad....'I wanted to ask her why she used wool......I was so angry ehn.....as if they know the password to heaven.....some pastor go dey preach as if God don give them the key to heaven grin
Re: The Stench Of Ignorance Of Nigerian Christians by AyamConfidence(m): 1:24pm On Apr 09, 2017
suzan404:
Lol.....most of the pastors we have here in Nigeria are terrible liars......the first time I attended one church like that.....the pastor started cursing his members....he said 'if you don't pay your tithes,you will die by fire'.....lol I just use vex comot leave the church.....God who gave the commandment didn't curse or made it compulsory.... it's just necessary.... when you have,you give....some people too are just daft and dumb.....they won't bother to check their bible if what their pastor said is the truth

Na unemployment turn most of them to pastor.....God is not blind or deaf....he knows the right thing...... patiently waiting for the judgement day sha sad
you no know say na hustle they dey?? You no want make them see food chop??

Na stomach call most of them
Re: The Stench Of Ignorance Of Nigerian Christians by Nobody: 1:27pm On Apr 09, 2017
AyamConfidence:
you no know say na hustle they dey?? You no want make them see food chop??

Na stomach call most of them
grin wetin man go do nah.....man must chop grin
Re: The Stench Of Ignorance Of Nigerian Christians by AyamConfidence(m): 1:28pm On Apr 09, 2017
dingbang:
looool pastors think malaria is the only sickness in this life.. grin. Lol I felt like slapping one who told me he hasn't falling sick.. These people can lie pass d devil himself sha..
one woman was telling me the other day that she never falls sick cos the spirit of God dey in her

I just dey look her like

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Stench Of Ignorance Of Nigerian Christians by ftechclass: 1:29pm On Apr 09, 2017
Romancelanders yaff derailed the thread.

11) Believing God created the universe
12)Believing Yahweh is the only and true way to heaven
Most a times, I weep for Christians cos they ain't aware there are thousand of God outside the Christian world

2 Likes

Re: The Stench Of Ignorance Of Nigerian Christians by AyamConfidence(m): 1:30pm On Apr 09, 2017
suzan404:
grin wetin man go do nah.....man must chop grin
people wey God go punish go plenty ooo.... All na for the dough sha...God knows best
Re: The Stench Of Ignorance Of Nigerian Christians by Nobody: 1:30pm On Apr 09, 2017
suzan404:
grin......that was how one woman stopped me on my way to church.....she started preaching to me..'sister in the lord,pls stop using this attachment.... it is bad....'I wanted to ask her why she used wool......I was so angry ehn.....as if they know the password to heaven.....some pastor go dey preach as if God don give them the key to heaven grin

Loool, you are even calm. I would have exploded and asked her to show me where exactly it's written in the Bible grin

The one about the trousers is even worse. I don't know if they even realize that what they are saying is crap grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Stench Of Ignorance Of Nigerian Christians by AyamConfidence(m): 1:34pm On Apr 09, 2017
But where is lalasticlala sef

If you dey come bring Seun and Mynd44 along ooo
Re: The Stench Of Ignorance Of Nigerian Christians by Nobody: 1:42pm On Apr 09, 2017
AyamConfidence:
one woman was telling me the other day that she never falls sick cos the spirit of God dey in her

I just dey look her like

Loool grin

But the sad thing is if they eventually get sick, they wouldn't go to hospital

A child once died because his parents refused to let him have a blood transfusion. He could have been saved but they refused.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Not All Humans Are Humans / Scriptures Expounded: Your Hairs Are Numbered - / (Photo)gospel Singer Sinach With Pastor Chris's Cute Daughters Pictured Together

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.