Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,307 members, 7,819,042 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:25 AM

Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You (51255 Views)

"English That Only Makes Sense In Nigeria" Trends On Twitter, Ah Naija Self / Drop An English That Will Move Mountains And Dry Up River Niger. Mine Is? / Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by sardion(m): 11:09pm On Apr 09, 2017
Error111:

Good evening. Thanks a lot for viewing this thread.
Please i want you to advise me on my academic career.

I'm 19 years of age and I'm currently in HND 1 [Business Admin] and I wish to obtain BSc. Certificate after my HND Programmes.

My question, should I obtain:

i. JAMB immediately after my HND programme,
ii. Direct Entry Form after my HND programme
iii. PG.D form after my HND programme

ADVISE ME PLEASE
I strongly advise u go for option iii

2 Likes

Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by AbdOla: 11:14pm On Apr 09, 2017
Mr Lecturer forget Oyinbo and talk of money......Baba God don pick your call EFE, Soon i pray,naaaa me
Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by Teawhy2011: 11:17pm On Apr 09, 2017
N.B: there are some exceptional cases where you can use 'hearing' as present progressive tense e.g I look forward to hearing from you NOT hear. We called the meeting with a view to hearing from the members NOT hear.
Do you want to write and speak an error free English Language? If yes,contact:08065019331 for online or home coaching on Queen's English
Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by Tobium1(m): 11:18pm On Apr 09, 2017
MrEgbegbe:

You think this will help those dumbasses that voted for a 98 years old donkey ??

Tell me how someone who voted for a [b]drink illiterate
would be concerned about the use of words[/b]

*clears throat* you are de greatest, ignorant dumbass in history, you can't even diferentiat btwn "drink" and "drunk"

3 Likes

Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by Ibukunoluwa81: 11:19pm On Apr 09, 2017
Thanks for the helpful post! Just a little note!

The pronunciation of ate as ETE isn't wrong. It's the british pronunciation while pronunciating it as HATE is the American pronunciation.

You can check this online.
Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by Gaskia: 11:23pm On Apr 09, 2017
Education / Re: Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by Gaskia: 9:32am On Feb 09
OP, kindly see meaning no. 12 below:

pronunciation
(IPA): /ɹə.ˈvɜː(ɹ)t/

etymology ▼ show
Noun
(plural reverts)

1. One who, or that which, reverts.
(religion) One who reverts to that religion which he had adhered to before having converted to another ▼ show
(Islam) A convert to Islam. ▼ show
(computing) The act of reversion (of e.g. a database transaction or source control repository) to an earlier state.
We've found that git reverts are at least an order of magnitude faster than SVN reverse merges.
translations (Islamic usage: convert to Islam)
French: conversion

2. Verb
(reverts, present participle reverting; past and past participle reverted)

3. (transitive) To turn back, or turn to the contrary; to reverse. ▼ show
To throw back; to reflect; to reverberate.

4. (transitive) To cause to return to a former condition.

5. (intransitive) To return; to come back.
If they attack, we will revert to the bunker.
▼ show

6. (intransitive) To return to the possession of.
When a book goes out of print, rights revert from the publisher to the author.

7. (intransitive) Of an estate: To return to its former owner, or to his or her heirs, when a grant comes to an end.
8. (transitive) To cause (a property or rights) to return to the previous owner.
Sometimes a publisher will automatically revert rights back to an author once a book has gone out of print.

9. (intransitive) To return to a former practice, condition, belief, etc.

10. (intransitive) To return to an earlier or primitive type or state; to take on the traits or characters of an ancestral type.

11. (intransitive) To change back, as from a soluble to an insoluble state or the reverse.
Phosphoric acid in certain fertilizers reverts.
(intransitive) To take up again or return to a previous topic.
(intransitive) To convert to Islam. ▼ show

12. (intransitive) To reply; to come back.
Please revert before Monday.

13. (transitive) To treat (a series, such as y = a + bx + cx2 + ..., where one variable y is expressed in powers of a second variable x), so as to find the second variable x expressed in a series arranged in powers of y.
translations (to turn back, or to the contrary; to reverse) ▼ show
translations (biology: to return to an earlier or primitive type or state) ▼ show

This text is extracted from the Wiktionary and it is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license
(Modify) (Quote) (Report) 1 Like (Share)

1 Like

Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by leleji(m): 11:33pm On Apr 09, 2017
hey

Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by praisekeyzz(m): 11:34pm On Apr 09, 2017
Dat #ATE# as HATE kolewerk!

It will sound igbotic lol grin
Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by solidman59(m): 11:35pm On Apr 09, 2017
MrEgbegbe:

You think this will help those dumbasses that voted for a 98 years old donkey ??

Tell me how someone who voted for a drink illiterate would be concerned about the use of words

Yea same for mmm participants
Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by Chelseafan1: 11:47pm On Apr 09, 2017
@edymonte, good job mate but ate should be pronouced as /et/ not hate.

Just a little correction.

Monothong /short e/ and consonant /t/
Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by 2tips: 11:49pm On Apr 09, 2017
edymonte:

http://airtel.laffhub.com/blog/common-mistakes-in-english-that-might-embarrass-you

Why is it an embarrassment?

English no be my mother tongue.
Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by Ibenny(f): 11:53pm On Apr 09, 2017
Error111:

pls which university admits more direct entry studnt?

It depends on your course and your result.
If you have any particular university in mind, go to the school directly go and make inquiries about it. Hopefully you will get a good responds.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by flyDixon: 11:59pm On Apr 09, 2017
Error111:

I'm 19 years of age and I'm currently in HND 1 [Business Admin] and I wish to obtain BSc. Certificate after my HND Programmes.

ADVISE ME PLEASE

The question ought to have been asked before you started HND but better still, I would advice you round up your HND, serve then go for your PGD (i think its necessary to serve or have a discharge letter before PGD), You are still young, but don't be carried away by that use it well, or better still go for DE immediately after HND which will take you 3 more years then you serve. All the best

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by chukxie(m): 12:19am On Apr 10, 2017
GloriaNinja:
That's why Nigeria is still backward, they carry grammar on their head like idiots,, English is not even Nigeria's mother language, that's why China will always be better than Nigeria, they love their mother tongue, it will be very difficult to see a Chinese forming English unless he/she needs it in a social situation, who grammar epp?

China has one unifying language called Mandarin or Putonghua which is broadly spoken by everybody there. Nigeria doesn't have any indigenous language that serves that purpose except English which was handed down to us by our colonial masters. English language is our unifying language as it serves as the bridge of communication between people of different ethnic backgrounds in Nigeria. There is not equivalence between China and Nigeria! Thank you.
Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by Judolisco(m): 12:21am On Apr 10, 2017
Error111:

ADVISE ME PLEASE
owk if u r for real Kwasu offer HND conversation program straight to 300l so u jst use 2years and dats all don't serve yet why take a new jamb....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by Rick9(m): 12:46am On Apr 10, 2017
Be close to ur dictionary
Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by alezzy13: 12:48am On Apr 10, 2017
LionDeLeo:

OP, good job. Comments by some hungry posters shouldn't bother you.

Hungry and most likely jobless. Very unfortunate mix.

What they're unaware of is the emphasis prospective employers place on ones ability to communicate in flawless English. In fact (and I'm very sincere here), during the last recruitment at my organization, a lot of applications were sent to the shredder not because the applicant did not meet the requirements, but simply due to poor grammar.

Yet they're yapping "who English don epp" like empty dolts.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by emi14: 1:21am On Apr 10, 2017
MrEgbegbe:

Tell me how someone who voted for a drink illiterate would be concerned about the use of words

Be objective once in ur life. Comment on the information from the op. What is all this nonsense about ethnicity , tribalism and political sentiments in everything? You voted him in knowing his old and he is your president. I didn't vote. If you're not Yoruba, you're Igbo. Nonsense.
Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by LionDeLeo: 2:23am On Apr 10, 2017
Ibukunoluwa81:
Thanks for the helpful post! Just a little note!

The pronunciation of ate as ETE isn't wrong. It's the british pronunciation while pronunciating it as HATE is the American pronunciation.

You can check this online.

This should be an error.
Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by BetaThings: 3:27am On Apr 10, 2017
MrEgbegbe:

At the next election we will vote for a 102 year-old horse
Whatever he tells us we will do
We believe in him and enjoy that
Enjoy your unrivalled good sense, chart-bursting IQ and exceptional analytical prowess
Everyone is happy
Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by otipoju(m): 4:16am On Apr 10, 2017
Error111:

ADVISE ME PLEASE

After your HND, look for a school in USA and apply for F1 visa. Your life will never remain the same for good.

Think Global ! Not Local !
Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by Rainmaker69(m): 5:14am On Apr 10, 2017
This seems forced. Op sef miss 1 or 2 based on general logistics.
Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by pimper24: 6:24am On Apr 10, 2017
How do you mean "embarrass" for a language that is not ours? Why not get embarrassed for wrong usage of Igbo, Hausa, Yoruba, Tiv, Idoma, et al. We are so funny in this country the way we regard a foreign language tagged official national language. Good usage is even unconsciously being mistaken for brilliance and intelligence. I get surprised because I stayed and studied with people of other nationalities who's languages are not English and the way they axed the language you shit did not happen and they all passed very well in English related subjects .
Let me come down to the OP Mr grammar. Yes, in your corrections Mr.grammar what do you mean by "legal use" of the word? You see, that's a very wrong and funny way of putting that as it means something different entirely. Do you know that English as a language evolves also, that all those your big words sound funny and archaic to native speakers? Wonder why foreign speakers like over sabi Nigerians are the people that often use those gbim gbim and Zim words.
Again Mr. English judge, do you “hear“ a sound or "perceive" a sound. You see even our holier than thou attitude prevent use from kerning. If you want to learn big vocabulary, read African authors. But remember to keep dictionary by your side. If you are reading foreign authors, just forget the dictionary and you finish in just few moments. This is equally the reasons we r saying good bye to our local languages. Our kids are now native English speaker and we bask in the fake euphoria. Abeg make I hear word. In Jamaica, their coined English for local usage is called patwa, same with Kreole in Haiti and so on, in Nigeria, their is pidgin also called broken and their good English. Abeg make I hear word.
edymonte:

http://airtel.laffhub.com/blog/common-mistakes-in-english-that-might-embarrass-you
Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by ossiegee(m): 6:37am On Apr 10, 2017
Grammatically speaking, you don't say -I can't hear you. That's grammatically incorrect. It's better to say -I don't hear you. Meaning if you say- I can't hear you, you are saying you don't have hearing ability such as the ear. While I don't hear you means you have the ear but unable to hear the person at that time. Thanks.
Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by StraightSetter(m): 7:17am On Apr 10, 2017
Gaskia:
Education / Re: Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by Gaskia: 9:32am On Feb 09
OP, kindly see meaning no. 12 below:

pronunciation
(IPA): /ɹə.ˈvɜː(ɹ)t/

etymology ▼ show
Noun
(plural reverts)

1. One who, or that which, reverts.
(religion) One who reverts to that religion which he had adhered to before having converted to another ▼ show
(Islam) A convert to Islam. ▼ show
(computing) The act of reversion (of e.g. a database transaction or source control repository) to an earlier state.
We've found that git reverts are at least an order of magnitude faster than SVN reverse merges.
translations (Islamic usage: convert to Islam)
French: conversion

2. Verb
(reverts, present participle reverting; past and past participle reverted)

3. (transitive) To turn back, or turn to the contrary; to reverse. ▼ show
To throw back; to reflect; to reverberate.

4. (transitive) To cause to return to a former condition.

5. (intransitive) To return; to come back.
If they attack, we will revert to the bunker.
▼ show

6. (intransitive) To return to the possession of.
When a book goes out of print, rights revert from the publisher to the author.

7. (intransitive) Of an estate: To return to its former owner, or to his or her heirs, when a grant comes to an end.
8. (transitive) To cause (a property or rights) to return to the previous owner.
Sometimes a publisher will automatically revert rights back to an author once a book has gone out of print.

9. (intransitive) To return to a former practice, condition, belief, etc.

10. (intransitive) To return to an earlier or primitive type or state; to take on the traits or characters of an ancestral type.

11. (intransitive) To change back, as from a soluble to an insoluble state or the reverse.
Phosphoric acid in certain fertilizers reverts.
(intransitive) To take up again or return to a previous topic.
(intransitive) To convert to Islam. ▼ show

12. (intransitive) To reply; to come back.
Please revert before Monday.

13. (transitive) To treat (a series, such as y = a + bx + cx2 + ..., where one variable y is expressed in powers of a second variable x), so as to find the second variable x expressed in a series arranged in powers of y.
translations (to turn back, or to the contrary; to reverse) ▼ show
translations (biology: to return to an earlier or primitive type or state) ▼ show

This text is extracted from the Wiktionary and it is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license
(Modify) (Quote) (Report) 1 Like (Share)

Awesome! I was looking to see if someone set this straight before I do then I saw your comment. Welldone.

His dictionary is out of date.
Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by Geofavor(m): 8:32am On Apr 10, 2017
edymonte:

well done. Pls Ignore all these obviously frustrated posters saying who English help.

Now, everybody wants to get rich quick like efe. fools. It's very irritating what this country is turning into.

what they don't know is, most times, to earn you have to learn.

That said, I found all your points accurate but this one:

ATE: As we all know, ate is the past tense of eat. The problem with this word for most people is not so much in the use as in the pronunciation.
Very many people pronounce the word as “ETE’’ as in TETE, whatever that means.
The correct pronunciation of this word is ATE as in HATE without the “H’’
It might be embarrassing to mispronounce this simple word in public

From the little knowledge I have, ATE is pronounced ET( going by the British pronunciation). so, that's correct, don't you think?
The American pronunciation is HATE (minus the H as you said). Therefore, depending on the context, the two pronunciations are correct, don't you think? smiley
Re: Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by Error111: 9:06am On Apr 10, 2017
otipoju:

After your HND, look for a school in USA and apply for F1 visa. Your life will never remain the same for good.

Think Global ! Not Local !

Please like how much will that cost me?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

When Your Best Friend Turns You Down During Exams (pix) / OAU Admission Saga: Aror Oghenerukewve Got 79.05% not 75.2% / Can I Study Doctor In OAU With 106 JAMB Score?: Guy Asks; Gets Hilarious Replies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.