Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,468 members, 7,819,715 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:32 PM

What do professors think of students who fall asleep in class? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What do professors think of students who fall asleep in class? (12069 Views)

Success Adegor's Results, Comes 1st In Class (Photos) / 5 Categories Of Students Who Will Benefit From ASUU Strike / Nigerian Universities With The Highest Number Of Professors - NUC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What do professors think of students who fall asleep in class? by AjalaJ(m): 11:52pm On Apr 09, 2017
What do professors think of students who fall asleep in class?

When a student falls asleep in my class, I have a feeling of sympathy. Nonetheless, it is not in his/her best interest to miss my lecture.

What I typically do (my students can verify this) is wait a minute or two until I am getting to an important part of the lecture. Then I ask a nearby student to wake up the sleeper. When I do that, I explain to the newly-awakened that we were getting to something important, and I didn't want him/her to miss it.

For the next two weeks, nobody falls asleep in my class. Nobody wants to be awakened in that manner. And I do it very politely. Even so, I've often had the student come up to me after class to apologize. I tell the student that I have sympathy; I remember how difficult it was to be a student, and how I often did not get enough sleep.

Source: https://www.quora.com/Sleep-What-do-professors-think-of-students-who-fall-asleep-in-class

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What do professors think of students who fall asleep in class? by miblolo(f): 7:16am On Apr 10, 2017
First to comment.....
The topic though....
Re: What do professors think of students who fall asleep in class? by Jerryembassy: 7:17am On Apr 10, 2017
Front page ... .. Chai
Re: What do professors think of students who fall asleep in class? by BreezyCB(m): 7:17am On Apr 10, 2017
Prof in the house
Re: What do professors think of students who fall asleep in class? by supersaz66(m): 7:17am On Apr 10, 2017
Definitely not in Nigeria

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: What do professors think of students who fall asleep in class? by Ezedon(m): 7:17am On Apr 10, 2017
When you read or browse all night on your bed in the other room, you sleep in the class

1 Like

Re: What do professors think of students who fall asleep in class? by perezski(m): 7:18am On Apr 10, 2017
Kk
Re: What do professors think of students who fall asleep in class? by Holatunde007(m): 7:18am On Apr 10, 2017
They believe there brain is under duress, which in turn is supported by the heavy work load place on the mendula during the course of assimilating.

Meanwhile

pls fellow nairalanders, am a student in my HND 1 Estate management. Pls the semester is just ending, as we all know the country is tight right now, I need any work either factory, company, daily, weekly or office job I can do within the two months break before school resumes to have my school fees paid.
Pls I am all alone for myself.
Pls help a striving brother, am currently staying in Abeokuta.
This is my contact both what'sapp and direct call are allowed O7O 33 26 61 93. May the surprise us all IJN
AMEN

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What do professors think of students who fall asleep in class? by Osama92(m): 7:19am On Apr 10, 2017
i believe they think of them as future senators and house of rep members. ask Dino if him nor crash for class.

2 Likes

Re: What do professors think of students who fall asleep in class? by sunnyworld2love(m): 7:19am On Apr 10, 2017
Understood grin
Re: What do professors think of students who fall asleep in class? by sirusX(m): 7:19am On Apr 10, 2017
supersaz66:
Definitely not in Nigeria
GBAM!!!
Some would ridicule you...others would send you out of class feeling it's an insult upon their degree

The daredevil ones might ask people to kneel down and raise their hands grin

5 Likes

Re: What do professors think of students who fall asleep in class? by afuye(m): 7:19am On Apr 10, 2017
Based on logistics, it can't happen in Nigeria
Re: What do professors think of students who fall asleep in class? by seunlayi(m): 7:20am On Apr 10, 2017
And prof doesn't sleep at seminars /conferences?

3 Likes

Re: What do professors think of students who fall asleep in class? by AgbenuAnna(f): 7:21am On Apr 10, 2017
after the heat at night you go to the class to sleep
Re: What do professors think of students who fall asleep in class? by babyfaceafrica: 7:21am On Apr 10, 2017
Noted.....what do students think of professors who fail to come to class?

1 Like

Re: What do professors think of students who fall asleep in class? by princechurchill(m): 7:21am On Apr 10, 2017
I think of them as future politicians that can't sing national anthem
Re: What do professors think of students who fall asleep in class? by BellaLuce: 7:21am On Apr 10, 2017
How humans behave in a developed country. Being polite to each other. Lecturer- Student, Student - Lecturer.

1 Like

Re: What do professors think of students who fall asleep in class? by Launcher: 7:22am On Apr 10, 2017
I have a prof here who is very lenient. If you like, sleep or don't attend his lectures....... You'll still get your mark if you perform well.

The only problem is you can't pass his courses if you were not listening and taking notes of whatever he says. You can read all his notes, even read further but the questions won't come out from there.

2 Likes

Re: What do professors think of students who fall asleep in class? by maikbanj(m): 7:22am On Apr 10, 2017
I never slept in a professors class in school because the profs that taught us were very lively. But we had few boring lecturers in school tho
Re: What do professors think of students who fall asleep in class? by AreaFada2: 7:22am On Apr 10, 2017
I fell asleep often in class. A brief snooze and it was always very sweet and refreshing. cheesy grin

We worked hard to earn a living while schooling. Especially those 5pm lectures. Sometimes after a busy clinic too.

Well, many non-professors have considerable teaching duties. Common in healthcare.

When I have had to teach, never seen any fall asleep. They are largely a very motivated middle class and privileged lot. Without the worries we had as foreign students.

1 Like

Re: What do professors think of students who fall asleep in class? by jordinsparkles(f): 7:23am On Apr 10, 2017
OP you're nice o...atleast not like my lecturer in UNN...
Re: What do professors think of students who fall asleep in class? by pxjosh(m): 7:23am On Apr 10, 2017
My issue isn't with falling asleep in class, but paying attention to what is being taught till the class ends. undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What do professors think of students who fall asleep in class? by Jh0wsef(m): 7:23am On Apr 10, 2017
how they really feel

Re: What do professors think of students who fall asleep in class? by Tokziby: 7:23am On Apr 10, 2017
Its a nice thing the professor did, but he should up his game by being lively in the classroom.

Majority of the time when students fall asleep in the classroom, is because they were not being engaged in the lecture or the lecturer is boring. A good lecture should be lively and engage student with various questions and answers. Give the student questions to hear the opinion and laugh about it. School lectures should not be like a funeral service where one speaks and others just fold their arms and watch. If the brains becomes too dormant with nothing to engage with, it shuts down and takes u to dreamland.

2 Likes

Re: What do professors think of students who fall asleep in class? by Adadio: 7:23am On Apr 10, 2017
A thoroughbred Professor will empathize,encourage and yet deliver the stuff to his students with human kindness.Contrast this with a" Village Headmaster" prof wielding a cane in his mind,even regulating fashion sense of his students.There are Profs and there are Profs.
Re: What do professors think of students who fall asleep in class? by Queeneen(f): 7:24am On Apr 10, 2017
my lecturer will say;when honest hearted people were sleeping at night,you were dancing skelewu at a night club
Re: What do professors think of students who fall asleep in class? by legibow: 7:24am On Apr 10, 2017
Do Nigeria professors think of there student.....

2 Likes

Re: What do professors think of students who fall asleep in class? by oshorstan(f): 7:24am On Apr 10, 2017
Sir I respect ur humility, I wish our Prof n lecturers emulates u sir .
BlackProfWhiteMind

5 Likes

Re: What do professors think of students who fall asleep in class? by omhor(f): 7:25am On Apr 10, 2017
The sleeper might be too busy doing either of the following: 1. Reading throughout the night 2. Watching season films 3. Praying all night over issues most important to him/her 4. Banging all night, in the club or at home

1 Like

Re: What do professors think of students who fall asleep in class? by Nobody: 7:25am On Apr 10, 2017
Immediately i saw the question....my mind took me straight to quora.

Its a popular question on there

1 Like

Re: What do professors think of students who fall asleep in class? by Sammypedro18(m): 7:26am On Apr 10, 2017
Sleeping during classes doesn't necessarily mean one didn't get enough sleep during the night, it could be down to psychological issues, hunger or stress....,.imagine not having breakfast and sitting in the class for 9-12 class.......ppple also sleep when d lecture is BORING
Re: What do professors think of students who fall asleep in class? by Joettti: 7:27am On Apr 10, 2017
Its just not easy!!!! Sleep, troubling students since 1601 ? As a student sleep can be likened to scarcity in Economics #never enough!!!! Chai Papa God bless our Hustle pick up our call na beg we de beg oooooo!!!?

(1) (2) (Reply)

"What Is The Name Of These Sheep-like Animals With A B*ooty Bigger Than Kim K's? / The Book Nigerian Students Have Been Reading From Colonial Times Till Date / ASUU Fresh Strike Threat Causing Panic, No Agreement Yet – FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.