Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,549 members, 7,958,686 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 08:52 PM

Discos Reject 10,200 Megawatts In 1 Month - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Discos Reject 10,200 Megawatts In 1 Month (17320 Views)

July New Tariff: Discos 'Reject' NERC Capped Rate, To Bill By Consumption Rate / Kano's 10 Megawatts Independent Project Is At 90% Completion Stage (Pictures) / 3,050 Megawatts Mambilla Power Project In Taraba (Pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Discos Reject 10,200 Megawatts In 1 Month by Islie: 6:47am On Apr 10, 2017
By Simon Echewofun Sunday

Eleven electricity Distribution Companies (DisCos) rejected 10,200 megawatts (mw) allocation in one month, industry figures have shown.

This is coming at a time the country is experiencing low generation of electricity due to gas supply constraints.

The incident happened mid February and extended to the second week of March.

The DisCos were allocated a total of 75,021mw within the period but they accepted 65,729mw which they distributed to the end users.

However, the difference of 10,200mw was rejected by different DisCos per time.

Data obtained exclusively by the Daily Trust indicated that a few DisCos in February and March took excess power totalling 780mw.

Analysis by our reporter shows that Ikeja and Benin DisCos topped the list of the highest load rejecters as they did that for over three times in the period.

On February 15, being the first day of the period in focus, the industry statistics showed that the 11 DisCos were allocated 3868.38mw based on the Multi Year Tariff Order (MYTO) 2015 Allocation table.

They consumed 3151mw, leaving out 769mw. Benin and Ikeja DisCos rejected the highest load of 171mw and 159mw, while Yola DisCo rejected 9.62mw being the lowest.

On the last day of the period being March 14, 2017, the DisCos got 3,640mw allocation but consumed 3,038mw.

A balance of 607mw was turned down that day. Ibadan DisCo topped the list with 184mw while Yola DisCo, now a public-driven utility firm again rejected the least of 16mw electricity loads.

Reactions trailing the rejection

Complaints of load rejection have been heavy since the period in focus began. Spokesperson for the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN), Seun Olagunju in a recent statement said its System Operations - Osogbo arm directed Generation Companies (GenCos) to ramp down on production to stabilise the system due to many load rejection.

Confirming this, statistics obtained from the operators of Kainji Hydro GenCo show that due to the ramping down of load, it lost 1,420mw in just six days in March.

But in an exclusive interview and a later briefing, the 11 Distribution Companies (DisCos) speaking through the Association of Nigerian Electricity Distributors (ANED) revealed reasons for the claimed load rejection.

ANED’s Director of Research and Advocacy, Barrister Sunday Oduntan explained that TCN often defies the daily load schedules of the DisCos by transmitting electricity to where DisCos have low distribution needs, leaving out the high areas of electricity demand.

He said: “The issue is about wrong dumping of load where the DisCos cannot recover the cost at that point as the power supply is not always enough for all the customers under a particular DisCo.”

An Abuja based Power Efficiency advocate, Mr. Odey Haruna said the 10,200mw rejected load is enough to power many industries for weeks, thereby creating productivity and leaving huge economic impacts.

Haruna advised TCN to strengthen its networks to minimise the transmission constraints leading to poor load allocation in the cities.

“The DisCos must also do their best to optimise their cables and transformers. If Nigerians are hungry for electricity and the available ones are being rejected, then it makes no economic sense completely,” he said.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/discos-reject-10-200-megawatts-in-1-month/192795.html

1 Like

Re: Discos Reject 10,200 Megawatts In 1 Month by Jabioro: 6:51am On Apr 10, 2017
Huge amount, resources wasted and @ end they will be sharing crazy bill to cover what she has rejected ..exploitation every where.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Discos Reject 10,200 Megawatts In 1 Month by sarrki(m): 6:52am On Apr 10, 2017
Our problems are not limited to the people in authority alone

We the source of our own problems

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Discos Reject 10,200 Megawatts In 1 Month by Lanretoye(m): 7:02am On Apr 10, 2017
where did they get the load from,i tot we were gegenerating less than 3000megawatts...moreover consumers are supposed to subscribe to any disco they wish so there will be competition among discos.

5 Likes

Re: Discos Reject 10,200 Megawatts In 1 Month by BlowBack: 7:09am On Apr 10, 2017
The problem is the lack of prepaid meters and the inept fashola who encourages this scam by the DISCOs

Let me elaborate...

Where I stay less than 20% of residents have pre-paid meters.

The disco handling my area are guaranteed monthly revenue from non-prepaid consumers as they are charged a fixed monthly rate of about 5,000 irrespective if they are supplied electricity.

At one point I had a balance of less than 30 units for 3mths.

The discos won't try this nonsense if at least 70% of residents had pre billing

44 Likes

Re: Discos Reject 10,200 Megawatts In 1 Month by AZeD1(m): 7:18am On Apr 10, 2017
Lanretoye:
...moreover consumers are supposed to subscribe to any disco they wish so there will be competition among discos.
Dude seriously? So if you live in Benin and want to subscribe to Ikeja Disco, you would erect your own cables from Ikeja to Benin?

Discos are monopolies.

44 Likes

Re: Discos Reject 10,200 Megawatts In 1 Month by jarkbauer: 7:29am On Apr 10, 2017
BlowBack:
The problem is the lack of prepaid meters and the inept fashola who encourages this scam by the DISCOs

Let me elaborate...

The disco handling my area are guaranteed monthly revenue from non-prepaid consumers as they are charged a fixed monthly rate of about 5,000 irrespective if they are supplied electricity.

The problem in Power sector is enormous. I dont deceive myself.. stable light in Nigeria is a mirage. More than 70% of people with prepaid meters bypass it. Some Nigeria dont like to pay for power.

38 Likes

Re: Discos Reject 10,200 Megawatts In 1 Month by OneManLegion(m): 7:31am On Apr 10, 2017
Na these people nor gree make light steady for us o.

Shebi their name na Disco, them go soon face the music. Idiots!

7 Likes

Re: Discos Reject 10,200 Megawatts In 1 Month by BlowBack: 7:32am On Apr 10, 2017
jarkbauer:

The problem in Power sector is enormous. I dont deceive myself.. stable light in Nigeria is a mirage. More than 70% of people with prepaid meters bypass it. Some Nigeria dont like to pay for power.

In my area you can't bypass the meter as it is rigged on the electric pole.

The disco also carried out routine checks an if you are caught bypassing (if that is even possible) you will be slammed with a hefty fine.

Bypassing the prepaid meter is not easy and definitely not worth it

34 Likes

Re: Discos Reject 10,200 Megawatts In 1 Month by Ovamboland(m): 7:39am On Apr 10, 2017
jarkbauer:

It's the responsibility of Discos to lay power cables and install meters in such a way that bypassing is next to impossible.

They just inherited a broken cobweb cable system and did nothing to improve it.

13 Likes

Re: Discos Reject 10,200 Megawatts In 1 Month by BlowBack: 7:42am On Apr 10, 2017
Ovamboland:

It's the responsibility of Discos to lay power cables and install meters in such a way that bypassing is next to impossible.

The first metering system by phcn was flawed but the new metering system makes it hard to bypass unless you want to climb the pole and disconnect the meter itself.

9 Likes

Re: Discos Reject 10,200 Megawatts In 1 Month by GreatEngineer(m): 7:51am On Apr 10, 2017
Stories, so what did you do with the rejected mwhr? You throw them into the ocean right? Liars!
Re: Discos Reject 10,200 Megawatts In 1 Month by jarkbauer: 7:51am On Apr 10, 2017
Ovamboland:

Exactly. There are just plain stupid and lazy ass. They dont want to invest but just reap money. If they were the ones managing MTN and co... What would they do about cheats who try to call and browse free.

2 Likes

Re: Discos Reject 10,200 Megawatts In 1 Month by mykeljosef: 11:04am On Apr 10, 2017
BMC comman beat me

rocket science abi

5 Likes

Re: Discos Reject 10,200 Megawatts In 1 Month by chinawapz(m): 11:05am On Apr 10, 2017
hmmm
Re: Discos Reject 10,200 Megawatts In 1 Month by paskyboy: 11:06am On Apr 10, 2017
We need R&B and Afro not Disco

1 Like

Re: Discos Reject 10,200 Megawatts In 1 Month by brainpulse: 11:06am On Apr 10, 2017
sarrki:

Re: Discos Reject 10,200 Megawatts In 1 Month by diablos: 11:07am On Apr 10, 2017
jarkbauer:

Exactly. There are just plain stupid and lazy ass. They dont want to invest but just reap money. If they were the ones managing MTN and co... What would they do about cheats who try to call and browse free.

Lol...eerything in naija get cheat o...jst say u no knw d one for discos and their meters grin
Re: Discos Reject 10,200 Megawatts In 1 Month by uyiekpenn(m): 11:07am On Apr 10, 2017
When would the problem of power be solved once and for all? I feel there's something they're not telling us.

1 Like

Re: Discos Reject 10,200 Megawatts In 1 Month by maxiuc(m): 11:07am On Apr 10, 2017
my prepaid meter have not seen light for 5days now in lugbe fha abuja

so no light no payment

get your prepaid by any means meet those nepa boys find them small change dem go help you source for one thats how i got mine

2 Likes

Re: Discos Reject 10,200 Megawatts In 1 Month by Spidermon: 11:08am On Apr 10, 2017
BlowBack:

Let me elaborate...

Re: Discos Reject 10,200 Megawatts In 1 Month by yomalex(m): 11:08am On Apr 10, 2017
imagine
Re: Discos Reject 10,200 Megawatts In 1 Month by erico2k2(m): 11:09am On Apr 10, 2017
Islie:

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/discos-reject-10-200-megawatts-in-1-month/192795.html

And they will charge consumers this said rejected powers.Well I dont blame them its the FG who do not have the balls to compel them to install PYG meters or no light no bill policy.

4 Likes

Re: Discos Reject 10,200 Megawatts In 1 Month by mmsen: 11:10am On Apr 10, 2017
sarrki:

The people in positions of authority are sourced from within the general population.

When people claim it is the 'leaders' who are the problem they are naively/dishonestly trying to divorce themselves from their own bad decisions and bad habits.

1 Like

Re: Discos Reject 10,200 Megawatts In 1 Month by maxiuc(m): 11:10am On Apr 10, 2017
sarrki:

your head dey there same way buhari is the main source of our problems

1 Like

Re: Discos Reject 10,200 Megawatts In 1 Month by erico2k2(m): 11:11am On Apr 10, 2017
maxiuc:
my prepaid meter have not seen light for 5days now in lugbe fha abuja

so no light no payment

get your prepaid by any means meet those nepa boys find them small change dem go help you source for one thats how i got mine
This is good, no light no bill, lets see how the DISCO make money.
Re: Discos Reject 10,200 Megawatts In 1 Month by seguno2: 11:12am On Apr 10, 2017
Propaganda stories from APC.
Change that has been changed since 2015 AD.

1 Like

Re: Discos Reject 10,200 Megawatts In 1 Month by LastSurvivor11: 11:13am On Apr 10, 2017
10,000mw from where when I have not seen Nepa light in weeks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Discos Reject 10,200 Megawatts In 1 Month by 9jatatafo(m): 11:13am On Apr 10, 2017
And they will give estimated bills. The other day the meter reading they printed on my bills
Was 80 units higher than what the actual meter reading. Scam everywhere. I hate this country, no where to seek redreas

6 Likes

Re: Discos Reject 10,200 Megawatts In 1 Month by ExInferis(m): 11:13am On Apr 10, 2017
Lanretoye:
where did they get the load from,i tot we were gegenerating less than 3000megawatts...moreover consumers are supposed to subscribe to any disco they wish so there will be competition among discos.

So if I'm in Benin i have the option of "subscribing" with Yola Disco?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

"INEC, Worst Thing To Have Happened Since Lord Lugard When Politicians Lose" / APC Plotting To Use Foreign Mercenaries To Rig Edo Guber, PDP Alleges / National Chairmanship: PDP Considers South-West For Ayu's Replacement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.