Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,351 members, 7,812,004 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:01 AM

Letter To My Countrymen - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Letter To My Countrymen (933 Views)

China’s Ambassador To Tanzania Blasts Own Countrymen In Epic Rant / 2011 - US - based Countrymen To Storm Minna For IBB / Fulani: Banished By Desert, Rejected By Their Countrymen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Letter To My Countrymen by NegroNtns(m): 11:47pm On Dec 29, 2009
My Fellow Nigerians,

In light of everything else going on in the news and on the web, let us exercise caution and restrain our tongue in the way we condemn Umar.

It is indeed a very great misfortune for everyone. Many Thanks and Praise to the Almiighty God that the attempt failed, no life was lost and out of the mishap is an instructional outcome for a leap forward.

The part played by al Qaeda must not be overlooked. Acting as a predator, al Qaeda seized upon and exploited this young man's desire for religious understanding and purpose.  Umar did not set out to join aQ, instead he aspired for a deeper meaning and purpose in the Quran and to do that he wanted a first hand experience in the Arab culture and language.

Everyone that seeks an identity and intimacy in the Quran will testify to the fact that as they studied its 114 chapters they ultimately ended up with one or two chapters that give them the spiritual bonding they seek. I am one of those and for my testimony I find meaning and purpose in chapter 55, Surah Al Rahman (The Beneficient). Life purpose lead us to devote energy and sacrifice and a commitment to connect spiritually with our divine core.  If the message in Al Rahman were anything to die for, then I am ready to lay down my life. The message is about humility and content. On this note, it is necessary to understand which one of the Surahs Umar intimated with. The message in that particular chapter will give some clue to his state of mind and the ease with which aQ was able to convince, albeit exploit his vulnerability, away from his adventurous journey and into their camp.

The enemy is al Qaeda, not Umar. Umar is our countryman and our brother. He must stand and face justice for his bad judgement. Whatever his conviction and sentence he must accept it with faith. Allah has commanded the faithfuls to fight the oppressor and when they wage war on you, to retaliate with a force greater than the attackers. Umar need to reconcile within himself if the people in that aircraft with him had oppressed or waged war on him or his homeland.  None of is perfect and none of us is above trial from above. This youngman is sunk, physically and spiritually and I am in no doubt sure that he is taking toll in his own mind what got him where he is and wishing he could relive the moment and pick a different option.

We, Nigerians, have the duty now to reclaim and redeem him. Talking bad and negatively about him will not accomplish that. We need to give witness to his character and not assassinate it in public. That action alone from our part will reinforce to the world that we are a benevolent people to one another and portray a strong value in our sense of patriotism. We do not yet know how many other Nigerians may already be in aQ contact and grooming. We must intervene at this point to reject al Qaeda from our country and region. This is an international matter, not a domestic case. Let us speak with one voice and point accusation finger at al Qaeda and vent opposition to whayever cause they stand for.  This is not Arabia, this is Black man land and their war is their war, our war is our war. We will not fight their war with the blood of our sons and daughters. They should not fight our wars with theirs'.  

Per chance,. . . out of the goodwill to uphold Umar's character on the international front, we may all discover a new avenue for forging harmony in our domestic differences.

To Umar Farouk, you owe apology to America, you owe apology to the occupants of that airliner and you owe apology to Nigeria. In the midst of your misfortune, I wish you God's light.

Peace!
Re: Letter To My Countrymen by Kobojunkie: 12:02am On Dec 30, 2009
Roflmao!!! I can't even pretend to take that seriously. lol
Re: Letter To My Countrymen by oderemo(m): 12:09am On Dec 30, 2009
your point being? next time dont sit on the fence. i laugh in ijebu.
Re: Letter To My Countrymen by HIO4: 12:11am On Dec 30, 2009
Nego abeg save us the apologist bullshit.
Re: Letter To My Countrymen by grafikdon: 12:27am On Dec 30, 2009
This must be some twisted sick joke.
Re: Letter To My Countrymen by eyesonyou: 12:30am On Dec 30, 2009
@OP
As much as I want to be compassionate, I have to take a rain check on this one.
This young man almost succeeded in killing innocent people, and has disgraced a whole nation.

I do agree with you that it is a great misfortune for everyone.
Even though you are not advocating an easy pass for this man, your intent might be misconstrued as
apologetic -- hope not though.
Re: Letter To My Countrymen by SEFAGO(m): 12:32am On Dec 30, 2009
Negro whatever you call yourself.

Today I went to work. Everyone was talking about the "crazy Nigerian terrorist" who tried to bomb a plane. Immediately I came into the office everyone kept quiet. But the damage was done. Now anytime people stare at me for a long time (even if it is a ridiculously hot girl) I think its because of Mr Umar. Man I just want to grab his head and crack it open.
Re: Letter To My Countrymen by Kobojunkie: 12:47am On Dec 30, 2009
eyesonyou:

@OP
This young man almost succeeded in killing innocent people, and has disgraced a whole nation.
Even though you are not advocating an easy pass for this man, your intent might be misconstrued as

Please can we be HONEST with ourselves here. It will be unfair to claim this man disgraced a whole nation as if he is the first to do so. Our own president has proven that Nigerians are a disgrace to themselves. What this man has done ONLY adds salt to the injury. He is not the first Nigerian shame, we already have over 140 million of those. And He probably will not be the last, so there is really no need to pretend this is the FIRST time we have experienced a blow, of any kind, inflicted by a Nigerian, to the nations image. Lol
Re: Letter To My Countrymen by SEFAGO(m): 12:52am On Dec 30, 2009
Our own president has proven that Nigerians are a disgrace to themselves. What this man has done ONLY adds salt to the injury. He is not the first Nigerian shame, we already have over 140 million of those.

Levels pass levels. This was the height of it. This was the ultimate crime. Scamming couple of people- fair game. Murdering one or two people- who hasnt done that before. Trying to kill 200 people on an international scale- takes gold
Re: Letter To My Countrymen by eyesonyou: 1:07am On Dec 30, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Please can we be HONEST with ourselves here. It will be unfair to claim this man disgraced a whole nation as if he is the first to do so. Our own president has proven that Nigerians are a disgrace to themselves. What this man has done ONLY adds salt to the injury. He is not the first Nigerian shame, we already have over 140 million of those. And He probably will not be the last, so there is really no need to pretend this is the FIRST time we have experienced a blow, of any kind, inflicted by a Nigerian, to the nations image. Lol

There is nothing in my post suggesting that he was the first to have disgraced  Nigeria.
Are you insinuating that because Nigeria has been disgraced many times over it should continue, or it's consequential
anytime a "knuclehead" disgraces Nigeria?
Has he not disgraced a nation?  And where do you get your 140 million number from? Or are you implying that all Nigerians have shamed Nigeria?
I don't get your point. Where is the pretense?
Re: Letter To My Countrymen by Kobojunkie: 1:25am On Dec 30, 2009
eyesonyou:

There is nothing in my post suggesting that he was the first to have disgraced Nigeria.
Are you insinuating that because Nigeria has been disgraced many times over it should continue, or it's consequential
anytime a "knuclehead" disgraces Nigeria?

Dude, you and I are part of the disgrace that is Nigeria. To now POINT an accusing finger at this man as if he is the MAIN is just ludicrous. Remember, before the 26th, it wasn’t as if we were getting floods of good news from the Nigerian end. We have had so many massacres in Nigeria. This year alone, how many hundreds have died meaningless deaths in the country?

When I heard the news of the attempted bombing, I just felt it was one more in addition to many. I could only thank God that Nothing bad came of it. However, the world has known of the nigerian shame long before this event.

eyesonyou:

Has he not disgraced a nation? And where do you get your 140 million number from? Or are you implying that all Nigerians have shamed Nigeria?
I don't get your point. Where is the pretense?

Point, let us quit acting as if this is the worst of the worst. About the 140 million capable beings who have taken to sitting back with arms folded while a weakling of a man who is barely alive continues to riducule them from a hospital in far away Saudi arabia, you decide!!
Re: Letter To My Countrymen by NegroNtns(m): 1:38am On Dec 30, 2009
Negro whatever you call yourself.

Today I went to work. Everyone was talking about the "crazy Nigerian terrorist" who tried to bomb a plane. Immediately I came into the office everyone kept quiet. But the damage was done. Now anytime people stare at me for a long time (even if it is a ridiculously hot girl) I think its because of Mr Umar. Man I just want to grab his head and crack it open.

Sefago, how would you reclaim your damaged image? Can you share?

@OP

Eyesonyou, redemption is secured through remorse. Remorse can take many forms. I hope it is seen for what it is. . .a remorseful approach to limit damage and recover our national pride. Thanks for youe clarity by the way.
Re: Letter To My Countrymen by SEFAGO(m): 1:59am On Dec 30, 2009
Sefago, how would you reclaim your damaged image? Can you share?

Seriously, do I sound like an idiot? Ok dont answer that grin, but seriously i have already accepted that Nigeria's reputation is damaged. I am more interested in when we would disappear from media scrutiny.

Man Tiger woods probably loves nigerians right now.
Re: Letter To My Countrymen by NegroNtns(m): 2:25am On Dec 30, 2009
On the international scene, we need a differentiator.  

We can be like Atlantis and rise out of the ashes of our ruin or be like Titanic. . .sunk and buried in deep sea.

We can respond to national tragedies magnanimously or we could dismiss them nonchallantly.

Today Britain lodged outcry in condemnation of China's execution of its citizen. It is symbolic!  The man had gone into China with intent and pre-calculated motive to commit crime and profit from it.  Britain did not deny his crime or the magnitude of the impact to Chinese people, but they consistently intervened on his behalf by recreating a character for him. The move was not to absolve him of the crime but rather to impose the British Sovereignty and as a protectorate for its citizens.  This is magnanimous and this is what evolved nations do.  

There were hundreds of European citizens released from Guantanamo because their nations stepped up and intervened on their behalf with America . . .not in a move to excuse their act but rather as a political instrument of exchange and goodwill.

Where is our goodwill. . .where is our magnanimity?  Has our embassy staff gone to visit Umar? He carries Nigerian passport.  I am not asking that he be excused. . .he has done a damage that he cannot repair sitting in jail.  The damage need to be repaired nonetheless and that responsibility rest with us.  Unless of course we wan to be like Somalia.  They don't look back when their citizens are arrested in international territories for acts of  terrorism.

Where is our differentiator in this matter?
Re: Letter To My Countrymen by SEFAGO(m): 2:31am On Dec 30, 2009
Visit whom Umar- pourquoi? That would send a message of compassion, except of course they carry 40 kobokos with them to flog the boy all the way to 70 virgins.

Nonsense. All these sob stories being generated for this kid is disgusting. Has it occured to you what might have happened if he succeeded.? Who cares about Umar, when he didn't think about any of us before he committed his crime. He has no nationality in my own opinion, nothing in his actions suggest he claims Nigeria. To him he is a "reply" to a attack on Yemen. When did black africans start dying for people and a religion which considered them subhuman?

For lack of a Yoruba word- tufiakwa

I think the only patriotic thing we can do is come together and insult the hell of that arab- wanna be.
Re: Letter To My Countrymen by LeMoor(m): 2:31am On Dec 30, 2009
Just put religion in the mix and some arab-worshipping fool will come here and tell me to 'reclaim' my brother. Or that Allah commanded faithfuls to do'blah blah'. Look Negro, I just got back to the USA a few weeks ago from naija, and used that same Delta flight, and if things had gone right for him, it isnt only Americans he would have killed.  Isn't there enough injustice in his backyard to fight for than to go die for some stupid Arab cause?

He should blow up shell, or the other fools that cause injustice in his country. Black folks kill me with our misdirected fervour, Always too willing o be colateral damage in a war that doesnt even concern them.
Re: Letter To My Countrymen by LeMoor(m): 2:40am On Dec 30, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

On the international scene, we need a differentiator.  

We can be like Atlantis and rise out of the ashes of our ruin or be like Titanic. . .sunk and buried in deep sea.

We can respond to national tragedies magnanimously or we could dismiss them nonchallantly.

Today Britain lodged outcry in condemnation of China's execution of its citizen. It is symbolic!  The man had gone into China with intent and pre-calculated motive to commit crime and profit from it.  Britain did not deny his crime or the magnitude of the impact to Chinese people, but they consistently intervened on his behalf by recreating a character for him. The move was not to absolve him of the crime but rather to impose the British Sovereignty and as a protectorate for its citizens.  This is magnanimous and this is what evolved nations do.  

There were hundreds of European citizens released from Guantanamo because their nations stepped up and intervened on their behalf with America . . .not in a move to excuse their act but rather as a political instrument of exchange and goodwill.

Where is our goodwill. . .where is our magnanimity?  Has our embassy staff gone to visit Umar? He carries Nigerian passport.  I am not asking that he be excused. . .he has done a damage that he cannot repair sitting in jail.  The damage need to be repaired nonetheless and that responsibility rest with us.  Unless of course we wan to be like Somalia.  They don't look back when their citizens are arrested in international territories for acts of  terrorism.

Where is our differentiator in this matter?
GTFOH!!!
What magnanimity? what national tragedy? the fool represents himself and himself only, and if anything else, his religion, because that was the ause he was about to die for. HE WAS GOING TO DIE (BLOW HIMSELF AND OTHERS UP) AS A MUSLIM FIRST!!! and not as a Nigerian. We need to stop making apologies and stop feeling embarrased for him,
Re: Letter To My Countrymen by NegroNtns(m): 3:00am On Dec 30, 2009
You are focusing too much on the subject. In that narrow vision you are missing the much bigger strategy and the advantages.

You are locked into news feed and responding with a mob action. Take a step back and pretend you are the foreign minister for our country. How would you handle this situation?

Some years back when I did staffing for my organization, we had what is called situational judgement. You will be given a scenario and it doesn't matter if you ever had that role or not before now. . .you are expected to respond. There is no one correct answer but there is one correct judgement. The best decision maker proves leadership nd gets the job.

My friend. . .how would you handle this situation if you were in position of authority as a nigerian official?
Re: Letter To My Countrymen by SEFAGO(m): 3:05am On Dec 30, 2009
My friend. . .how would you handle this situation if you were in position of authority as a nigerian official?

Quite simple- Instead of the slow response issued by Dora Akunyili and the non-response from our foreign minister Maduekwe, I would have issued a response absolving nigeria of complicity concerning the incident. Then summarily start the blaming game- Yemen first, then Britain and infact start my own media propaganda- British-Yemeni terrorist attempts attack in America would be all over NTA grin
Re: Letter To My Countrymen by NegroNtns(m): 3:19am On Dec 30, 2009
I would have issued a response absolving nigeria of complicity concerning the incident.

Isn't that apologetic?

Beside, Umar never said Nigeria sent him. . .he made it clear first day in detention that he was on errand for al Qaeda.

Then summarily start the blaming game- Yemen first, then Britain and infact start my own media propaganda- British-Yemeni terrorist attempts attack in America would be all over NTA

In all of this you have attacked everyone else but the culprit; al Qaeda! You see how easy you missed the whole issue and went on the wrong battle?

Here is leassons learnt for you - Don't attack and carp on other people opinion unless you have a better argument.
Re: Letter To My Countrymen by Nobody: 3:38am On Dec 30, 2009
too late for apologies now and besides the boy is yet to grasp the implications of his actions. Maybe in another 8-10 years he'll understand better.

However, he'll have plenty of time to ruminate in jail.

undecided

In any case, the father apologised, for what it's worth.

i guess they didnt tell this boy about the high percentage of black males in US jails and warn him about becoming a statistic.

sad.
Re: Letter To My Countrymen by Mariory(m): 3:40am On Dec 30, 2009
Please please USA just execute the meat bag so we can move on to the next one from the production line.
Re: Letter To My Countrymen by NegroNtns(m): 4:41am On Dec 30, 2009
Mariory, Umar will not get the death penalty. There is a precedent in Richard Reid's case. His penalty and sentencing will not be as severe as Reid's. Umar is not a enemy combatant and beside, depending on who defends his case. . .he could subponea his father's advance notice to the US embassy and if admitted by the judge he could call the US government as a witness. This could then get him into a deal and a lesser penalty.

My personal feeling is he needs to go for life. God forbid. . .what if he had succeeded in setting off the trigger?
Re: Letter To My Countrymen by smoothben: 12:18pm On May 29, 2010
i want to bland , what day una go bland me i love this gane

(1) (Reply)

Council Of Obas Suspend Deji Of Akure / How We Will Emasculate North –ijaw Group / Ibb Must Not Be President 2011 (north)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.