Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,089 members, 7,957,082 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 06:40 AM

Nigerian Celebrities Should Be Ashamed - Celebrities (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Nigerian Celebrities Should Be Ashamed (4209 Views)

Nigerian Celebrities Should Try Smiling At The Camera / 5 Things ALL Nigerian Celebrities Should Learn From Psquare / Nigerian Celebrities That Are Still Virgins ( Photos ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Celebrities Should Be Ashamed by LoverBwoy(m): 3:44am On Jan 25, 2007
Seun:

If this is the root of the problem, then no amount of logic change their minds. Perhaps only success can.

Eddie Jordan must be a failure to organise charity events every opportunity he gets
even dopey jade goody has some form of charity she is linked with

Since the majority of celebrities in the U.k are linked with one form of charity organisation or the other can you conclude that any the society wants their crumbs to develop?

My2cent, when an organisation like heart foundation, cancer research, solicit your time, unwanted gifts or money for research of funding local projects in africa do you really think they are hating on you undecided
Re: Nigerian Celebrities Should Be Ashamed by LoverBwoy(m): 3:49am On Jan 25, 2007
There is no shame in spending your own money and not wanting to share.
  shocked  shocked  shocked

are you from calabar, akwa ibom or ijebu?

let me check what being shameless mean brb
Re: Nigerian Celebrities Should Be Ashamed by Nobody: 4:13am On Jan 25, 2007
How can an African make the sort of comments that 2cents and Seun are making?. . .Even in the West with their extreme capitalism and individualism, they see the beauty of charity. We have Africans who are raised in a community and yet they act like everything they have is due to their own handiwork. It's a real pity, you're a product of your society and when that society has done you well, it is an OBLIGATION to give back.

When you make money and you don't give back the society, you'll be forgotten sooner than later. When you take initiatives to improve the life of those around you, you'll be remembered forever. This is story of life, Bill Gates, Warren Buffet even J.D. Rockefeller, some of the richest and capitalist minds around are all into charity and appreciate the need for it. Go figure!. . .Kanu might go tomorrow but in the hearts of those who have benefited from his foundation, he is forever. This is Abiola is popular and adored, how many people especially care for Dangote?
Re: Nigerian Celebrities Should Be Ashamed by LoverBwoy(m): 4:26am On Jan 25, 2007
Even in the West with their extreme capitalism and individualism, they see the beauty of charity

spot on, i noticed some people trying to be more capitalist than those who cooked it up!
Re: Nigerian Celebrities Should Be Ashamed by Nobody: 4:40am On Jan 25, 2007
Most of these capitalists wannabes do not recognize that the market does not take care of all of life's problems. They also fail to recognize that wages celebs. earn is hardly determined in an open market. Most of them have Player Associations a.k.a. unions.
Re: Nigerian Celebrities Should Be Ashamed by 4Play(m): 3:53pm On Jan 25, 2007
Wealth is no use for u when u are in the grave.
Re: Nigerian Celebrities Should Be Ashamed by Mamajama(m): 4:03pm On Jan 25, 2007
All we are saying is for them to start a crusade to raise the awareness, and not to invest their entire life savings.

They don't even have to donate any more, but they can use their status to invite rich business philanthropist to help

save Africa. How do you expect the world to help us clean our house if our ambassadors, athletes and professionals are

not showing initiative to lay the foundation to humanity?
Re: Nigerian Celebrities Should Be Ashamed by bigbaby(f): 5:44pm On Jan 25, 2007
Well everyone has there own way of thinking but the nigerian celebritys should be more considrate when it comes to thinking about there country. They earn alot of money the should think of helping nigeria in the case of POVERTY or that seed of i don't care will catch up with them.
Re: Nigerian Celebrities Should Be Ashamed by 9ja4eva: 9:24pm On Jan 25, 2007
@ MAMAJAMA

Am really feeling your posts.Well the actual truth is this.Who wants to be remembered by impartation not by wealth will be remembered.It really saddens my heart to c all our stars deserting the Country and nt wanting to associate with the growth of the Country again.To them Nigeria might be a fallen State bt one sure thing is dry bones will rise again.When NIGERIA gets to d peak again it will be a shame to them.

Am pretty sure all well meaning Nigerians both home and abroad will always pray for KANU and remember him for any lifetime honours if asked to vote for.Its of great joy too that we have people like KANU who are using what they can to help the community.

The others shld continue eating and one advice is dey shld make sure dt when dey buy dey build a bank by their grave yard so dey continue to eat the money dey long kept.I will always be proud of African Sons like KANU,Eto'o n co.

Hello y'all
Re: Nigerian Celebrities Should Be Ashamed by Mystique(f): 12:37pm On Jan 26, 2007
****yawns****
Re: Nigerian Celebrities Should Be Ashamed by texazzpete(m): 5:44pm On Jan 26, 2007
, and once again, the shitty finger-pointing by nigerians continues!

You don't need to be a celebrity to give money out to charity. everyone here has been blessed by God and needs to give to the less priviledged. So please stop pointing fingers at others just 'cause they've got more money than you.

if you're flaming others and you haven't given to the poor too, then please STFU!!

I once used to blame people for being selfish. Until i visited an orphanage in Warri and found out that School Fees for the homeless orphans in the orphanage was about 15k a year. That's money we easily spend on trivial things. So stop looking at 'celebrities' out there, get your latest paycheck, get off your bleeping butts and go to the nearest orphanage or prison near you to do good works. Then, and only then, can you criticize.

Till then, STFU!!
Re: Nigerian Celebrities Should Be Ashamed by texazzpete(m): 5:48pm On Jan 26, 2007
MAMAJAMA:

All we are saying is for them to start a crusade to raise the awareness, and not to invest their entire life savings.

They don't even have to donate any more, but they can use their status to invite rich business philanthropist to help

save Africa. How do you expect the world to help us clean our house if our ambassadors, athletes and professionals are

not showing initiative to lay the foundation to humanity?
bigbaby:

Well everyone has there own way of thinking but the nigerian celebritys should be more considrate when it comes to thinking about there country. They earn alot of money the should think of helping nigeria in the case of POVERTY or that seed of i don't care will catch up with them.
Donzman:

How can an African make the sort of comments that 2cents and Seun are making?. . .Even in the West with their extreme capitalism and individualism, they see the beauty of charity. We have Africans who are raised in a community and yet they act like everything they have is due to their own handiwork. It's a real pity, you're a product of your society and when that society has done you well, it is an OBLIGATION to give back.

When you make money and you don't give back the society, you'll be forgotten sooner than later. When you take initiatives to improve the life of those around you, you'll be remembered forever. This is story of life, Bill Gates, Warren Buffet even J.D. Rockefeller, some of the richest and capitalist minds around are all into charity and appreciate the need for it. Go figure!. . .Kanu might go tomorrow but in the hearts of those who have benefited from his foundation, he is forever. This is Abiola is popular and adored, how many people especially care for Dangote?

And what have you lot done for Nigeria or your fellow man? heroes aren't always rich men. you can make yourselves useful (as well as heroic figures) by giving from what you've got.
Re: Nigerian Celebrities Should Be Ashamed by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:03pm On Jan 26, 2007
Donzman:

*nods*

I completely agree with this and 4Play.

Hakeem makes me sick really, you'd think he'd be ashamed by Motumbo.
Re: Nigerian Celebrities Should Be Ashamed by Mamajama(m): 6:21pm On Jan 26, 2007
I am definitely for pro education, texazzpete you don't just jump into discursion to exhibit the ignorant character that you are, maybe you might have to go back to elementary to understand the basics of ABC. Obviously you do not comprehend what we are talking about here. please stop the distraction.

to my people that understand. IF HAkeem or OKOCHA had a fund raiser or charity organization in Nigeria will you agree with me people will donate and participate more compare to a church fund raiser?
this is all we are asking for them to stand up to the task and be involved in their comunity
Re: Nigerian Celebrities Should Be Ashamed by Nobody: 9:10pm On Jan 26, 2007
texazzpete:

And what have you lot done for Nigeria or your fellow man? heroes aren't always rich men. you can make yourselves useful (as well as heroic figures) by giving from what you've got.

Are you an idiot or what?. . .Did your suck a bunch of spoilt milk as a kid? How do you know what I do and don't do with regards to charity?

to my people that understand. IF HAkeem or OKOCHA had a fund raiser or charity organization in Nigeria will you agree with me people will donate and participate more compare to a church fund raiser?

That's true, start something with your exposure that others can actually donate to. Texazpeete is here playing the "he without sin cast the first stone" card, what an idiot.
Re: Nigerian Celebrities Should Be Ashamed by Coco29(f): 9:17pm On Jan 26, 2007
~~*rolls eye*~~
Re: Nigerian Celebrities Should Be Ashamed by Ndipe(m): 11:08pm On Jan 26, 2007
Why should he be shamed by Mutombo? How do yu know if he donates his time or money to charity in secret? Dikembe goes on the media and announces that he wants to build a hospital in his country, thereby soliciting for donations, and you give him a pat on the back? Why cant he do his charitable deeds in secrets? I just dont care for people who try to do good under the lenses of the public.
Re: Nigerian Celebrities Should Be Ashamed by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:09pm On Jan 26, 2007
werent you the same person who was all up in Oprah's ass about her school and attacked anyone that had anything to say, now you're whining about Motumbo? Are you serious?
Re: Nigerian Celebrities Should Be Ashamed by Ndipe(m): 11:12pm On Jan 26, 2007
There is a difference. I defended Oprah only because she was criticized for not spending the money on the American soil. My defense was that charity should not be confined to one's borders. Always read my posts 2x before responding.
Re: Nigerian Celebrities Should Be Ashamed by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:14pm On Jan 26, 2007
Oprah made a big deal about her school. Morumbo made a big deal cos he wanted others to join in

Point is they should all be ashamed that it's white people that are running to our aid. the Bonos and the Jolies etc when it could be any of them. they all make about the same if not more.
Re: Nigerian Celebrities Should Be Ashamed by Seun(m): 9:48am On Jan 27, 2007
Capitalists have nothing against charity, actually. Our point is that Charity is not compulsory for anyone.
Re: Nigerian Celebrities Should Be Ashamed by 4Play(m): 12:49pm On Jan 27, 2007
@Seun

Nobody is calling for charitable giving to be made compulsory,the point being made is that celebrities should take a lead from foremost capitalists like Warren Buffet and give more to charity

If 6 in 10 celebs give substantial amounts to charity that will be sufficient,nobody expects or demands that every single celeb should give to charity
Re: Nigerian Celebrities Should Be Ashamed by Mamajama(m): 3:56pm On Jan 27, 2007
Its amazing what some people say here, do you know that Oprah ANGEL NETWORK home for the homeless is sponsored by contribution from other people?

why can't our people do the same ?

http://www.oprah.com/uyl/uyl_landing

people like you and I are the one donating to build those houses you see
Re: Nigerian Celebrities Should Be Ashamed by texazzpete(m): 4:39pm On Jan 27, 2007
Donzman:

Are you an idiot or what?. . .Did your suck a bunch of spoilt milk as a kid? How do you know what I do and don't do with regards to charity?
That's true, start something with your exposure that others can actually donate to. Texazpeete is here playing the "he without sin cast the first stone" card, what an idiot.

How does someone 'suck a bunch of spoilt milk as a kid'? What has that got to do with the discussion at hand? And what's wrong with playing the 'he without sin' card? Jesus did it, didn't He? Don't be pathetic.
BTW, let me fling your words back at you. How do you know what Okocha et al do in secret? If we're to take your word for it that you do lots of good deeds in secret (ergo beyond reproach) why then castigate other celebrities just because you don't see what they are doing?
Hypocrisy stinks, whatever the source may be.

MAMAJAMA:

I am definitely for pro education, texazzpete you don't just jump into discursion to exhibit the ignorant character that you are, maybe you might have to go back to elementary to understand the basics of ABC. Obviously you do not comprehend what we are talking about here. please stop the distraction.

Atrocious spelling aside, you exhibit a stunning lack of balanced reasoning. I'm clearly making a point (which should be obvious to even one such as yourself) that we CANi-picking, why don't you work on making yourself more generous? If you already are, keep it up!
Forward thinking people do not NEED 'celebrities' to lead us before we move on to help others. See the need and ACT. If the common man in Naija was looking out for his fellow man, it'll be a whole lot more effective than waiting for some celebrities to act.
Okocha might not be able to buy mosquito nets for your poor neighbours. YOU can! Take charge and do something positive.

My Personal dream is to set up an Orphanage somewhere in Nigeria. I'm currently looking for like minds to assist in realizing this dream, i've decided to set aside a million naira as my personal contribution, before looking out to NGOs and otehr bodies. also, i'm trying to get some of my colleagues interested too. Hopefully, before 2008/9 something could start up. i mean to bring this up in Nairaland at a later date.

Not trying to blow my trumpet here. all i'm trying to say is, i'm not looking to go cap in hand to meet Genevieve, Okocha and some of your heroes for help. The average Nigerian can and will make a difference.

So that's my stance. I really don't mind if i get insulted on nairaland. Not at all. but at least, have the decency to post an intelligent post laced with insults. that way i can still winnow out some brain-boosting info from it.
Childish insults like 'your suck a bunch of spoilt milk' and 'might have to go back to elementary school to understand the basics of ABC' are really amusing, however. Sadly, while they might be amusing, they really don't say much about your level of intelligence.

I'm outta here!
Re: Nigerian Celebrities Should Be Ashamed by Nobody: 4:54pm On Jan 27, 2007
@texazpeete

Will your cause not be more attractive if you put some recognizable public face to it?. . .D'uhh. Why do you think Live8 and co. were a success? Oprah's Angel Network, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation?. . .They have a public face to it and achieving their goals will be made easier since people actually know what they're donating to.

If you want to make the dream of your orphanage easier, do the same.
Re: Nigerian Celebrities Should Be Ashamed by Mamajama(m): 7:27pm On Jan 27, 2007
Donzman please don't waste your time educating this guy, some people ming are just made up, you can't change or train an old dog. The positive response on here is enough to move the crusade forward
Re: Nigerian Celebrities Should Be Ashamed by texazzpete(m): 4:44pm On Jan 29, 2007
Donzman:

@texazpeete

Will your cause not be more attractive if you put some recognizable public face to it?. . .D'uhh. Why do you think Live8 and co. were a success? Oprah's Angel Network, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation?. . .They have a public face to it and achieving their goals will be made easier since people actually know what they're donating to.

If you want to make the dream of your orphanage easier, do the same.

I agree with you that putting a celebrity face on a cause is bound to make it easier. but all i was trying to do was to put a different slant to things, come at the problem from a different angle. Besides, for every foundation fronted by a popular and rich person, there's many more promoted by 'ordinary' human beings.
Mother Theresa didnt have any big name when she started out, did she?
All i'm trying to do is move the focus from the celebrities to ordinary people out there. Sure, we've all seen the adverts featuring Obafemi martins and wilson oruma in the fight against malaria, but there was already a very big campaign against malaria in africa for many many years. Neither you or I know those people, but they've saved millions of lives.
If the doctors of medicins Sans Frontiers (Medicine Without Borders) had waited to use the cast of ER as adverts before going out to save lives, many thousands would not be alive today.
The Red Cross is made up of many ordinary individual, and they've saved tens of thousands. How many people have u seen coming out to promote the Red Cross?
If we all put our hands to it, then we will achieve something.

MAMAJAMA:

Donzman please don't waste your time educating this guy, some people ming are just made up, you can't change or train an old dog. The positive response on here is enough to move the crusade forward

Yes, move the crusade where lazy bums like you point fingers while refusing to do your bit. to a starving urchin on the street, YOU are the celebrity. YOU are the rich man. The time you spend in your snivelling, you could have used it to think of something. At least I have grand dreams of making a difference in the lives of many.

Not only are you misguided, you clearly fail to see that you only stand for the risible mentality of finger-pointing.
At least Donzman has engaged me in reasonable discussion, and at the end of this both he and i will hopefully learn something new from this. you, however are clearly not on the same intellectual page, being merely a time-wasting diversion.

An ancient proverb: There is none so blind as those who will not see.

Go figure.
Re: Nigerian Celebrities Should Be Ashamed by Mamajama(m): 6:23pm On Jan 30, 2007
texazzpete I have so much to say to you MR million naira but I will respect this forum and keep it on the DL
Re: Nigerian Celebrities Should Be Ashamed by promise72(m): 5:20am On Jan 31, 2007
@ Topic,

Theres nothing wrong in "blowing trumpet" It is really directing a focus to a cause. There is no way one person can afford a cause no matter how rich the person is. Big man, Big problems. These athletes have a lot of expenses u know. Entourage, Lawyers, Agents, Chefs etc.

Lets say someone who has a 20million/year contract. Right off the bat, he pays about 8million for tax, 10% for agent (2million). Lawyers' retainer fees. because if something happen whether guilty or not he will need a lawyer. Hes not going to be looking in yellow pages when he gets in trouble. Lawyers on stanby work/not. Trouble/not.

Then the cars, the houses, insurance, personal upkeep, extended family/hangerons. If your brother makes 20million/year if you run to him for assistance u don't expect him to give you $500 right? u expect him to pay 4 your school, get u a ride, probably rent u a nice pad if not buy etc etc. There are others like that.

They also have to save/invest their money. They will not invest chicken change. You wouldnt expect that kind of guy to be doing like $30k investment. More ofthen than not they will borrow like $3million to invest big usually borrow against next year earnings etc

That is why u hear say Tyson owes like $20 million etc because Banks will practically open their vault for people like that. And there is a certain lifestyle you expect from them not necessarily because they love it but its expected.

You will not see a person making $20million driving a Civic eating at McDonalds. Not because theres anything wrong with it but people will lookat them funny.
So they go ot upscale resturant wt private room and all the bodyguard/entourage etc all go chop cheesy Or is he just going to eat while everyone else look?

So before u start talking about what they are SUPPOSSED to do, you have to understand their angle. Or May be u can't.

And the last thing is that Nigeria's mindset is warped. You go to Ghana and see how everything is working right. In Nigeria evryone thinks they are bigger than the law hence, don't follow it and before u know it, lts total Chaos.
Re: Nigerian Celebrities Should Be Ashamed by texazzpete(m): 9:37am On Jan 31, 2007
MAMAJAMA:

texazzpete I have so much to say to you MR million naira but I will respect this forum and keep it on the DL

So, despite the disclaimer that i wasn't about to blow my own trumpet, you can't keep your errant tongue still?
Take a look at your own signature

"The man who removes a mountain begins by carrying away small stones"

So you clearly believe that big problems CAN be tackled with small steps at a time. Why then do you fail to see that even the smallest of us can make a difference in the world today, without waiting on some celebrity to jump in? Your signature alone makes you a hypocrite, shows you up as just being interested in finger-pointing. Sad.

Also, there's really no way of telling just what most of these guys are doing. Francis Obikwelu plans to use his money to fight poverty in Portugal. As far as i'm concerned, Charity is Charity. As long as it's for the common good, it need not be Nigeria he targets. Ergo, Hakeem Olajuwon et al could have projects they are working on in the US which you have no knowledge about. Think about that before your criticize.

So act out what you wrote in your signature. Look to what you can do instead of pointing fingers.

It's just like what most Nigerians do; they refuse to vote and then they think they have any right to criticize the government.

I have grand dreams for the orphanage. a million naira might seem grand to you, but there's a lot more needed. If 100000 Nigerians gave me 10 naira, i'd raise an extra million. But that wont happen.
Why?
because they, like you, are waiting for Ramsey noah or Hakeem Olajuwon to come and drop the cash at once.
Re: Nigerian Celebrities Should Be Ashamed by uchetobi(f): 3:44pm On Jan 31, 2007
The earlier each Nigerian realize that nobody owes us anything the better for us…celebrities and successful people can start a charity or anything but they are not compelled to…, its not any body’s birth right to live off people
Re: Nigerian Celebrities Should Be Ashamed by Mamajama(m): 9:40pm On Jan 31, 2007
some of you guys just don't get the point. no one is asking this people for arms and legs. a good well known name will go a long way. it's called giving back to the society that you belong to.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Chasity Bono, The Daughter Of CHER soon To Be A Boy / Yul Edochie Caught Making Love. / Paul Walker Dead: Fast And Furious Star, 40, Killed In Car Crash Check Out All

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.