Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,060 members, 7,818,177 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:31 AM

Why And How You Should Stay Anonymous On The Internet - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Why And How You Should Stay Anonymous On The Internet (1160 Views)

How To Use Your Blackberry As A Modem To Browse The Internet / Anonymous Vpn Clients That Unblocks All Website Its Completely Free Of Charge No / How To Connect Blackberry To The Internet(on A Computer) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why And How You Should Stay Anonymous On The Internet by doncaprio(m): 6:04am On Dec 30, 2009
Yes, we all love the internet. I prefer to call the internet the ultimate human feat of all time which will forever change the way we live. Reaching out to the whole world, having fun, looking over your business and making money while sitting in the corner of your bedroom is a wonderful thing, isn't it?

But I need to ask you a question: Did you know that there are villains online? People who would go to any length to damage you and everything you've worked so hard for? People who would step on anybody's toe to get what they want? Most internet users have absolutely no idea how much information can be retrieved about their offline and online activities from their computers. Some even do not know that every single bit of content on their computer can be accessed remotely.

If you think I'm paranoid then this is not for you. The internet is like one big street and being unanonymous is like walking down the street unclothed; it's like counting your money right in front of a thief; it's like a provocatively dressed girl hanging out with a rapist, the comparision goes on and on,
Re: Why And How You Should Stay Anonymous On The Internet by doncaprio(m): 6:04am On Dec 30, 2009
Your anonymity, privacy and security on the internet is of paramount importance, something you should keep right in front (not at the back) of your mind everytime you are online.

How would you feel if you woke up one day to find out that:

1. You have just one dollar left on your credit card because someone else hacked it and spent it all?
2. You can not access your email anymore because someone unlawfully gained access and changed your password?
3. Someone decides to test run a new deadly virus he created by infecting your pc while you were probably chatting online?
4. Your employer just blocked some sites you can't help but visit everyday?
5. The most private part of your life which you would go any length to protect is on the world wide web?

Real bad, I guess. That is why you must never compromise your online privacy. Eyes are watching on the net. Some sites keep a track of what you've been doing online by unlawfully gaining access to your computer and eventually getting to know your interest. What happens next? Spam mails!
Re: Why And How You Should Stay Anonymous On The Internet by doncaprio(m): 6:14am On Dec 30, 2009
Walking around the internet with your backside uncovered is a very dangerous thing to do. You are putting yourself, your finances, your privacy and everything dear to you at risk.

There are millions of anonymous proxies on the internet to protect your privacy all for free. Proxies and anonymity softwares are meant to give nobody else but you privacy and freedom.

Some of these services are paid but there are also very good ones that will effectively hide you and give you some freedom especially if you are experiencing heavy internet censorship.

-Freegate
-Ultrasurf
-Your Freedom
-JAP
-Gtunnel
-Gpass
-Tor

These are some of the softwares I do use use and the good news is they are free!

Now talking of proxies, google can pour out proxy sites like a flowing river but the truth is that most of these proxies are 'dead.' You need to check your proxies before keying them in your browsers. You can use any of the online proxy checker sites to do this.
Alternatively, get a powerful free proxy tool like proxyway to download and test proxies automatically.

Internet anti-censorship and privacy intrusion will never be a problem to you only if you find a way to put yourself under cover. Getting your online accounts hacked will never be a problem if you find a way to properly cover your tracks.

So be wise and protect your privacy from intruders.
Re: Why And How You Should Stay Anonymous On The Internet by mrperfect(m): 12:34pm On Dec 30, 2009
These tools you suggested are more of hiding Ips and by passing censorship, other than protecting one's files in the computer as you mostly indicated on your article if I am correct.
Thank you for reminding us about internet security.
Re: Why And How You Should Stay Anonymous On The Internet by Btwf(m): 3:57pm On Dec 30, 2009
The dude's right. Being anonymous guarantees a reasonable degree of security. Your ip address tells a lot about you, man.
Re: Why And How You Should Stay Anonymous On The Internet by Btwf(m): 3:57pm On Dec 30, 2009
And hiding your ip confuses a potential hacker.
Re: Why And How You Should Stay Anonymous On The Internet by mrperfect(m): 3:13pm On Dec 31, 2009
Btwf:

The dude's right. Being anonymous guarantees a reasonable degree of security. Your ip address tells a lot about you, man.
That is one part of it man.
Re: Why And How You Should Stay Anonymous On The Internet by Nobody: 3:24pm On Dec 31, 2009
seriously, there's no such thing as internet anonymity.

human beings designed the internet, computers and anything that goes on them.

the web is also heavily monitored- hidden fact.
Re: Why And How You Should Stay Anonymous On The Internet by Nobody: 5:50pm On Dec 31, 2009
I dont think i've ever agreed with Tpia on anything but here i am co-signing her comments.

On the internet, everything goes.
Nothing is hidden.
Re: Why And How You Should Stay Anonymous On The Internet by smallboy2(m): 6:05pm On Dec 31, 2009
@doncaprio;

-Freegate
-Ultrasurf
-Your Freedom
-JAP
-Gtunnel
-Gpass
-Tor
My Macfee Anti Virus sees most of these software as Virus and will not allow me to use them because they have virus dictionary keys. I prefer freedom alone because its java confirmed built.
Re: Why And How You Should Stay Anonymous On The Internet by doncaprio(m): 12:51am On Jan 06, 2010
@smallboy. freedom is cool only if u're not a free user. I use all of them though and my Avira has nothing to say about them.
Re: Why And How You Should Stay Anonymous On The Internet by doncaprio(m): 1:13am On Jan 06, 2010
seriously, there's no such thing as internet anonymity.

human beings designed the internet, computers and anything that goes on them.

the web is also heavily monitored- hidden fact.

An IP address (Internet Protocol Address) is similar to your home address in that it identifies your system's physical location. Everyone who is connected to the Internet has a unique IP address that allows information to be sent directly to her/his own personal computer. Unfortunately, about 99% of hacking attacks uses the victim's IP address to monitor or steal personal information that can be used in identity theft.
Conceal your identity on the Internet. Surf anonymously, prevent hackers from acquiring your IP address. Keeping your privacy is simple and,

That's from hideyouripaddress.net
Re: Why And How You Should Stay Anonymous On The Internet by omega25red(m): 2:50am On Jan 06, 2010
the only way to be anonymous on line is to be offline and that does not protect you from social engineering (look it up)
Re: Why And How You Should Stay Anonymous On The Internet by jamace(m): 6:39am On Jan 08, 2010
Reading about this gives me some goosepimples.

I often get an information when I post on NL that the last posting from my IP addy was less than 10 seconds ago, meaning that my post was not accepted based on the short time interval between posting from the same IP addy. My question is, is this normal or has my pc been hacked? Please I need urgent reply.
Re: Why And How You Should Stay Anonymous On The Internet by omanifrank(m): 5:19pm On Jan 08, 2010
i think hiding ones ip is very good, i also come online hiding my ip,regular,i never forget about that,

(1) (Reply)

Facebook Founder Launches New Website Using A Yoruba Name / Watch Tv And Listen To Radio Free On Pc( Laptop And Desktops) / Good Laptop For Gaming And Swift Multitasking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.