Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,489 members, 7,823,135 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:40 AM

Obong Attah, Reveals One Thing That Can Stop Nigeria From Breaking Up - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obong Attah, Reveals One Thing That Can Stop Nigeria From Breaking Up (627 Views)

“we Will Stop Nigeria Election In Biafra Territory If WAEC Is Cancelled” – Biafr / 2019 VP Debate: Uzor Kalu Reacts To Osinbajo’s Performance, Reveals One Thing Ob / Obong Attah "It Is Well With My Soul" Book Launch: Udom, Oshiomole, Ngige Attend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obong Attah, Reveals One Thing That Can Stop Nigeria From Breaking Up by Kemperor: 3:55pm On Apr 10, 2017
- Obong Victor Attah calls on Nigeria o return to fiscal federalism

- He said the centre should not be in control of all the resourced

- The former governor warned that this might lead to a break-up

Former governor of Akwa Ibom, Obong Victor Attah has declared Nigeria risks breaking-up if the country does not return to fiscal federalism.

There has been call for the country to be restructured while Biafran agitators have called for an outright disintegration.

In an interview with Vanguard; the former governor highlighted the need for the country to take this direction.

Attah said each region should be allowed to control its resources and remit 50 per cent of what is made to the centre.

He said: “I believe we have succeeded because it was not a solo effort. I led the movement because I was convinced of the need for it and, today it is taking a new dimension called restructuring.

“People are now talking about accepting the need for fiscal federalism and marrying it with the idea of restructuring and so on. So, thank God we have moved from one point and, we will soon get to another and I agree with those people who say that, unless we go back to fiscal federalism, Nigeria will break.

“You know there is a formula but the important thing is to create the situation that we always had before. Contribute 50 percent of what you have to the center and use the remaining 50 percent to develop yourself; even what you contribute to the center, some of it is coming back to you. That was the basis of the agreement for staying together and forming Nigeria. So, if we destroy the basis of our agreement, then the consequence of what we agreed should also disappear.

“That is Nigeria and, unfortunately, I am speaking like this because I believe passionately in the need and I believe that eventually all the government that should make it happen will make it happen; that there would be fiscal federalism. We should return to true federal democratic principle.”

https://www.naij.com/1098684-obong-attah-warns-nigeria-break-up.html
Re: Obong Attah, Reveals One Thing That Can Stop Nigeria From Breaking Up by Celcius: 4:16pm On Apr 10, 2017
Disintegration is no longer a taboo in Nigeria!
Who born anybody well to speak of disintegration in the 80s. It is clear that if some of these precautionary measures are not hearkened to, then, this 100 years of forced marriage will collapse. And it is imminent.
We have tire...
Re: Obong Attah, Reveals One Thing That Can Stop Nigeria From Breaking Up by sarrkii: 4:21pm On Apr 10, 2017
Enemy Of State Have Spoken
Re: Obong Attah, Reveals One Thing That Can Stop Nigeria From Breaking Up by Agumbankembu: 4:24pm On Apr 10, 2017
Now everybody dey add break up as fall back of restructuring.

Biafra I hail thee!
Re: Obong Attah, Reveals One Thing That Can Stop Nigeria From Breaking Up by OreMI22: 7:07pm On Apr 10, 2017
Obong Attah spoke the truth.
But Fulani will listen to him because some people are neck deep into cheating others under the guise of "One Nigerea"

In the 1960s, there was fiscal federalism and the regions developed rapidly. Infact the north was so rich in agriculture that most cities in the north as Zungeru, Funtua were major centers for trading agricultural produce. Today, all the north is interested in is to find all sorts of fraudulent ideas to cheat Niger Delta out of her oil resources and the rest of Nigeria in government projects.

Unless Nigeria returns to the good old days, it may be too late to even speak of restructuring as a panacea very soon.

(1) (Reply)

What Does The Nigerian Government Actually Do? / False Assets Declaration: I’ve No Case To Answer – Saraki Tells Cct / Sabo Market Demolishion: Why Is Government Insensitive (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.