Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,776 members, 7,824,242 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 06:20 AM

Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today (15660 Views)

Amos Tutuola's 100th Posthumous Birthday Is Today / Ola Rotimi's 82nd Posthumous Birthday Is Today / Summary Of The Gods Are Not To Blame By Ola Rotimi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by lalasticlala(m): 7:49am On Apr 13, 2017
Olawale Gladstone Emmanuel Rotimi, best known as Ola Rotimi (13 April 1938 – 18 August 2000), was one of Nigeria's leading playwrights and theatre directors. He has been called "a complete man of the theatre – an actor, director, choreographer and designer – who created performance spaces, influenced by traditional architectural forms."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ola_Rotimi

13 Likes

Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by justi4jesu(f): 7:50am On Apr 13, 2017
"The gods are not to blame" very interesting novel in my secondary school days.. This drama will forever be one of my all time favorite and not to talk of its beautiful quotes cool cool

Some proverbs i can remember after we acted the play.

It is sickness that man can cure, not death embarassed

When the frog in front falls in pit, others behind take caution grin grin

By trying often, the monkey learns to jump from tree to tree without falling. tongue

Until the rotten tooth is pulled out, the mouth must chew with caution. grin

"My people. Children of our fathers. Sickness is like rain. Does the rain fall on one roof alone? No. Does it fall on one body and not on another? No. Whoever the rain sees, on him it rains. Does it not? It is the same with sickness." embarassed embarassed

91 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Adieza(m): 7:51am On Apr 13, 2017
hbd to him

1 Like

Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by pyyxxaro: 8:21am On Apr 13, 2017
The Gods are not to blame

Now

The Gods are to Blame kiss

1 Like

Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Azeequeen(f): 9:11am On Apr 13, 2017
You cannot avert your destiny

You will kill your father and marry your mother and it came to pass

The gods are not to blame still remains one of my favourite African novel till date

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Godprotectigbo5(f): 9:32am On Apr 13, 2017
nice novel
Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Nobody: 9:33am On Apr 13, 2017
One of my best novels after "Things Fall Apart".

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by paschal47(m): 9:34am On Apr 13, 2017
A rear one!

Today is my day, please show some love.
Happy birthday to me

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Lyzbet: 9:34am On Apr 13, 2017
A well written adaptation. One of its kind.
Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by hotspec(m): 9:34am On Apr 13, 2017
Dt novel rocks

1 Like

Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Brianpat(m): 9:35am On Apr 13, 2017
Ola Rotimi was a colossus of the theater. May he continue to rest in peace.

4 Likes

Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Doro55: 9:35am On Apr 13, 2017
AFONJAS EVERY WHERE

2 Likes

Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by adelakay(m): 9:35am On Apr 13, 2017
Alabi is not to be blamed
Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by hotspec(m): 9:36am On Apr 13, 2017
danielicon:
I will do your company logo and branding for 100% free. contact me :+2 (whatsapp) you can ask for previous works if you want, I deliver 100% and remember it's totally free.
Note : you can reject if dissatisfied in anyway. thank you
My instinct tells ma dt one MOD will soon ban u till 2099

3 Likes

Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Julietcutie(f): 9:36am On Apr 13, 2017
rip sir... I loved your book
Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Mcowubaba: 9:36am On Apr 13, 2017
Great man...
Legend..
Respect sir..

Rest on sir
Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by lammsohiman(m): 9:37am On Apr 13, 2017
pyyxxaro:
The Gods are not to blame

Now

The Gods are to Blame kiss
chai! See blasphemy, dia riz God o
Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by CheezyCharles(m): 9:37am On Apr 13, 2017
Doro55:
AFONJAS EVERY WHERE
i'm not an afonja but why are u filled with so much hate? visit the nearest lagoon!

10 Likes

Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Koval12(m): 9:37am On Apr 13, 2017
Legend. I remember the super story edition.

3 Likes

Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by madridguy(m): 9:37am On Apr 13, 2017
Long live Sir.
Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Nobody: 9:38am On Apr 13, 2017
I read the play back in secondary school.Interesting play.Adapted from an ancient Greek legend
Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Splashme: 9:39am On Apr 13, 2017

1) Speak .........for the cooking pot for the chameleon is also the cooking pot for the lizard

2) A butterfly thinks himself a bird

3) All lizards lie prostrate: how can a man tell which lizard suffers from bellyache?

4) Is it not ignorance that makes the rat attack the cat

5) The hyena flirts with the hen, the hen is happy, not knowing that her death has come.

6) The lion's liver is vain wish for dogs

7) Because the farm-owner is slow to catch the thief, the thief calls the farm-owner thief.

cool The mangrove tree dwells in the river, but does that make it a crocodile?

9) Can the cockroach be innocent in a gathering of fowls?

10) The toad likes water, but not when the water is boiling

11) Secrets of the owl must not be known in daylight

12) When the wood-insect gathers sticks on its own head it carries them

R.I.P sir, you really brightened our childhood with that book

xx

xx

xx

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by kunyeo(m): 9:39am On Apr 13, 2017
[

It is a play sir,not a novel!

quote author=justi4jesu post=55524556]"The gods are not to blame" very interesting novel in my secondary school days.. This drama will forever be one of my all time favorite and not to talk of its beautiful quotes cool cool

Some proverbs i can remember after we acted the play.

It is sickness that man can cure, not death embarassed

When the frog in front falls in pit, others behind take caution grin grin

By trying often, the monkey learns to jump from tree to tree without falling. tongue

Until the rotten tooth is pulled out, the mouth must chew with caution. grin[/quote]
Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Tolulopefinest(m): 9:39am On Apr 13, 2017
He also wrote OUR HUSBAND HAS GONE MAD AGAIN

4 Likes

Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by advocatebaba(m): 9:39am On Apr 13, 2017
Buhari is not 2b blame.
Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by iphiechuks: 9:41am On Apr 13, 2017
D chicken eats corn, drinks water, swallow pebbles yet complains of having no teeth. If she had teeth, won't she eat gold? Let's ask d cow day has teeth yet eat only grass!

Is it not ignorance that makes d rat attack d cat?

8 Likes

Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Doro55: 9:42am On Apr 13, 2017
CheezyCharles:
i'm not an afonja but why are u filled with so much hate? visit the nearest lagoon!
i know a Goat will be the first to reply
Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Nobody: 9:42am On Apr 13, 2017
Ola Rotimi....men like these made me fall in love with literature..
"It is always best to keep your words soft and sweet, you might never know when you'd have to eat them"
"Kola nut indeed, last longer in the mouth of the one who cherish it".
"Is it not ignorance that makes the rat attack the cat?"
"The toad likes water, but not when the water is boiling"
My people. Children of our fathers. Sickness is like rain. Does the rain fall on one roof alone? No. Does it fall on one body and not on another? No. Whoever the rain sees, on him it rains. Does it not? It is the same with sickness."
"The horn cannot be too big for the cow to carry on it's head"
True African proverbs.
Rest on Sir.

3 Likes

Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by thirty1(m): 9:44am On Apr 13, 2017
Brianpat:
Ola Rotimi was a colossus of the theater. May he continue to rest in peace.

grin
Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by CzarChris(m): 9:45am On Apr 13, 2017
the book "Gods are not to blame" is a plagiarized version of the Greek mythological story of Oedipus who killed his father and married his mother. Originality is always an issue.

4 Likes

Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by chuksjuve(m): 9:45am On Apr 13, 2017
OK

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Top 10 Nairaland Stories Of The Week / Chimamanda Adichie Speaks To High School Students In Washington DC (photos) / The Ekanems

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.