Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,271 members, 7,954,054 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 11:33 AM

Hello Nigerians! This Word Doesn't Exist! [you Won't Believe This] - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Hello Nigerians! This Word Doesn't Exist! [you Won't Believe This] (4508 Views)

What Are Those Courses You Won't Advise Anyone To Study In Nigeria? / IMT Student Pays School Fees Only To Find Out Department Doesn't Exist. Photos / ADDY: This Word Has Been Trending online For Sometime Now, See The Meaning Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Hello Nigerians! This Word Doesn't Exist! [you Won't Believe This] by Toyin001: 12:39am On Apr 15, 2017
Hello ooo,

My Naija people! Hope you are fine I believe you are!

Hope Good Friday was fine as well!

I found this hard to believe but I just had to face it!

It's a common word among all of us, and even abroad. I have as well heard it in several movies.

Let me cut you some stories sha;

We are used to using sentences like, you are never serious, you are so unserious, you are very unserious and etc, mostly for people who are extremely funny or those guys who don't take school serious.

I was a big fan of these sentences until one day! I wanted to type it on my android to a friend while chatting, my android refused!

I was like: this is impossible, the auto-correct had failed for the first time!

I went further to the dictionary, I didn't see it, I said the dictionary was too small. I went to the online dictionary before I finally succumbed!

SO! IN A NUTSHELL!

These words unserious, unseriousness, unseriously are words that we use but in truth aren't English words.

Serious exists, but it's antonym is with the prefix "un".

Being a word I use often, I had to find a replacement fast.

From my findings, I found this appropriate word:

The so-called unserious can be expressed using the word "flippant"

By extension, unseriousness can be expressed using the word "flippancy"

And unseriously can be expressed using the word "flippantly"

APPROPRIATE SENTENCES INCLUDE:

* You are never serious
* You are not serious
* You are so flippant
* This your attitude is just flippancy
* The matter was handled flippantly by the boss
* And etc!

In truth, it'll take quite some time to stop saying that word "unserious," I discovered this truth over six months ago but still mistakenly say it at times, I only have learnt to stop typing it! Not to worry though; we'll all get to get used to stop saying it soon!

Hope you learnt something now smiley

Cc: Lalasticlala, Mynd44, Fynestboi

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hello Nigerians! This Word Doesn't Exist! [you Won't Believe This] by ikp120(m): 12:56am On Apr 15, 2017
But it's in webster, Collins and other dictionaries na. Oga abeg check well. A Google search was enough to check. It means "not serious"

2 Likes

Re: Hello Nigerians! This Word Doesn't Exist! [you Won't Believe This] by ElRapido: 2:24am On Apr 15, 2017
Who will discover the cure to Bubarilisis affecting OP??

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hello Nigerians! This Word Doesn't Exist! [you Won't Believe This] by faithogiga(m): 3:41am On Apr 15, 2017
wow, beautiful thanks for the light

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hello Nigerians! This Word Doesn't Exist! [you Won't Believe This] by Mortiple(m): 5:35am On Apr 15, 2017
Ogbeni, abeg park well.

A little search on Google would have saved you from this embarrassment. grin grin

un·se·ri·ous/ˌənˈsirēəs/
adjective
not serious; lightheartunseriousness (ʌnˈsɪərɪəsnəs) noun. the state or quality of being unserious.

Collins English Dictionary
www​.yourdictionary.com/unseriously
unseriously definition: Adverb (comparative more unseriously, superlative most unseriously) 1. In an unserious way; flippantly, frivolously

OR is it that you just want to let us know about your newly discovered English vocabulary... flipPANT? grin grin

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hello Nigerians! This Word Doesn't Exist! [you Won't Believe This] by fadjnr(m): 5:45am On Apr 15, 2017
This op is very unserious

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hello Nigerians! This Word Doesn't Exist! [you Won't Believe This] by SolexxBarry(m): 5:58am On Apr 15, 2017
Ok thanks for sharing

2 Likes

Re: Hello Nigerians! This Word Doesn't Exist! [you Won't Believe This] by bola4dprec(m): 6:20am On Apr 15, 2017
Toyin001:
Hello ooo,

My Naija people! Hope you are fine I believe you are!

Hope Good Friday was fine as well!

I found this hard to believe but I just had to face it!

It's a common word among all of us, and even abroad. I have as well heard it in several movies.

Let me cut you some stories sha;

We are used to using sentences like, you are never serious, you are so unserious, you are very unserious and etc, mostly for people who are extremely funny or those guys who don't take school serious.

I was a big fan of these sentences until one day! I wanted to type it on my android to a friend while chatting, my android refused!

I was like: this is impossible, the auto-correct had failed for the first time!

I went further to the dictionary, I didn't see it, I said the dictionary was too small. I went to the online dictionary before I finally succumbed!

SO! IN A NUTSHELL!

These words unserious, unseriousness, unseriously are words that we use but in truth aren't English words.

Serious exists, but it's antonym is with the prefix "un".

Being a word I use often, I had to find a replacement fast.

From my findings, I found this appropriate word:

The so-called unserious can be expressed using the word "flippant"

By extension, unseriousness can be expressed using the word "flippancy"

And unseriously can be expressed using the word "flippantly"

APPROPRIATE SENTENCES INCLUDE:

* You are never serious
* You are not serious
* You are so flippant
* This your attitude is just flippancy
* The matter was handled flippantly by the boss
* And etc!

In truth, it'll take quite some time to stop saying that word "unserious," I discovered this truth over six months ago but still mistakenly say it at times, I only have learnt to stop typing it! Not to worry though; we'll all get to get used to stop saying it soon!

Hope you learnt something now smiley

5 Likes

Re: Hello Nigerians! This Word Doesn't Exist! [you Won't Believe This] by Nobody: 6:48am On Apr 15, 2017
Op, gbamu

Yhu can still add them to the dictionary
Re: Hello Nigerians! This Word Doesn't Exist! [you Won't Believe This] by jericco1(m): 6:57am On Apr 15, 2017
Someone should quickly remove this thread b4 it misleads people.

2 Likes

Re: Hello Nigerians! This Word Doesn't Exist! [you Won't Believe This] by oglalasioux(m): 7:03am On Apr 15, 2017
faithogiga:
wow, beautiful thanks for the light

So you won't check before painting it beautiful? OP is high on weed.

1 Like

Re: Hello Nigerians! This Word Doesn't Exist! [you Won't Believe This] by abbeyty(m): 7:44am On Apr 15, 2017
I have heard queen of England used that word several times so, tell me who are you to dispute it existence ?

1 Like

Re: Hello Nigerians! This Word Doesn't Exist! [you Won't Believe This] by preetymee(f): 8:32am On Apr 15, 2017
Op u better stop taking that thing, it will do u more harm. Oya take a look at ur self. cry undecided
Re: Hello Nigerians! This Word Doesn't Exist! [you Won't Believe This] by Mcowubaba: 9:17am On Apr 15, 2017
What people don't understand is that some words used for communication by a certain group of people must not be in all the dictionary or must not be accepted by others..
Probably when you come in contact with people who don't really understand what you are saying, u can try to make them understand you, effective communication.

People should understand what COMMUNICATION is all about..

Who sets the standards undecided the white man undecided angry...

Nigerians and inferiority complex, some develop British accent after staying in Hong Kong for 8 months

Leave us alone with our Nigerian English.
Lemme come and be going
wink

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hello Nigerians! This Word Doesn't Exist! [you Won't Believe This] by buccal(m): 9:31am On Apr 15, 2017
Op is high on weed
Re: Hello Nigerians! This Word Doesn't Exist! [you Won't Believe This] by Obinoscopy(m): 9:40am On Apr 15, 2017
jericco1:
Someone should quickly remove this thread b4 it misleads people.

(1)

SA School Kids Asked To Make Slave Auction Posters for Project (PICS) / Download Interswitch Spak Past Questons And Answers 2022 And More / Confusion In Lautech Over Vc's Removal:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.