Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,085 members, 7,818,250 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:13 AM

Creamy Oil in radiator problem [SOLVED] Honda Accord 2004 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Creamy Oil in radiator problem [SOLVED] Honda Accord 2004 (5094 Views)

Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator / Radiator Problems On 2006 Honda Accord !!! / Don't Top-up Your Radiator With Water. Use Engine Coolant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Creamy Oil in radiator problem [SOLVED] Honda Accord 2004 by Kjnwancaro: 1:35am On Apr 15, 2017
Thank God I was able to notice the temperature of the Accord 04 V6 rising beyond normal, right then I pulled over to the side of the road and released the hood. The car never had overheating issues, except for one time that a mecho unknowingly disconnected my fans. Starting to get a little upset as I was in a hurry to go eat dinner, I open the reservoir and found a huge deposit of creamy oil!! Wtf?! How did it get there? Okay we can sort this out eh, the food can wait. I gave it around 50 mins to cool off. I popped open the rad and found the same creamy stuff with no single drop of water. Well, dinner ruined, I poured water in the rad and was able to drive to the mechanic and parked it there will the next day.

Next day, investigation started and nine out of ten technicians think I have a burnt gasket but tests were carried out and they came back negative. The creamy oil wasn't in the engine oil(meaning water did not get into the engine oil?) plus, the rad was left opened and engine cranked, water stays calm( shouldn't it gush out to indicate blown gasket?)

My questions

1. Do you think I have a blown gasket? If yes, tell me why. if no move to 2
2. If possibly oil got into the rad from external sources, could that also cause overheating and water drying up? Rad was flushed today and I drove a few KMs, found some of the creamy oil but not as much, the guy that flushed claims it is the remaining part of the creamy oil that didn't flush away. He's optimistic that gasket is okay btw...
3. Apart from gasket, what could be another culprit?

I'll update this thread today after I drive around and tell if there's more creamy oil in rad or not but even after the flush, I notice that water keeps going down in the rad after a short drive. Is this not a serious issue? Please I seriously need your experienced opinions people.

Nagode

1 Like

Re: Creamy Oil in radiator problem [SOLVED] Honda Accord 2004 by timifakay(m): 4:38am On Apr 15, 2017
Pictures of the substance in the coolant reservoir and radiator before and after driving today would give more insight sir.
Re: Creamy Oil in radiator problem [SOLVED] Honda Accord 2004 by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:53am On Apr 15, 2017
damaged headgasket

2 Likes

Re: Creamy Oil in radiator problem [SOLVED] Honda Accord 2004 by honmusa(m): 5:13am On Apr 15, 2017
Kjnwancaro:
Thank God I was able to notice the temperature of the Accord 04 V6 rising beyond normal, right then I pulled over to the side of the road and released the hood. The car never had overheating issues, except for one time that a mecho unknowingly disconnected my fans. Starting to get a little upset as I was in a hurry to go eat dinner, I open the reservoir and found a huge deposit of creamy oil!! Wtf?! How did it get there? Okay we can sort this out eh, the food can wait. I gave it around 50 mins to cool off. I popped open the rad and found the same creamy stuff with no single drop of water. Well, dinner ruined, I poured water in the rad and was able to drive to the mechanic and parked it there will the next day.

Next day, investigation started and nine out of ten technicians think I have a burnt gasket but tests were carried out and they came back negative. The creamy oil wasn't in the engine oil(meaning water did not get into the engine oil?) plus, the rad was left opened and engine cranked, water stays calm( shouldn't it gush out to indicate blown gasket?)

My questions

1. Do you think I have a blown gasket? If yes, tell me why. if no move to 2
2. If possibly oil got into the rad from external sources, could that also cause overheating and water drying up? Rad was flushed today and I drove a few KMs, found some of the creamy oil but not as much, the guy that flushed claims it is the remaining part of the creamy oil that didn't flush away. He's optimistic that gasket is okay btw...
3. Apart from gasket, what could be another culprit?

I'll update this thread today after I drive around and tell if there's more creamy oil in rad or not but even after the flush, I notice that water keeps going down in the rad after a short drive. Is this not a serious issue? Please I seriously need your experienced opinions people.

Nagode
1.To confirm if you really have head gasket issue 100% ,go for compression test.
2.Headgasket doesn't just get burnt up ,you still need to do further investigation of the reason why?probably you have a prior overheating before that damage it or the engine has been opened before and headgasket work not properly done.
Re: Creamy Oil in radiator problem [SOLVED] Honda Accord 2004 by Kjnwancaro: 9:23am On Apr 15, 2017
timifakay:
Pictures of the substance in the coolant reservoir and radiator before and after driving today would give more insight sir.

Here, but I did not take a picture when it first happened so this is like a residue. This thing was thicker. I thought the amount I found in the reservoir was huge but when the rad was flushed I was shocked. Engine and gear oil intact.

Re: Creamy Oil in radiator problem [SOLVED] Honda Accord 2004 by Kjnwancaro: 9:27am On Apr 15, 2017
GAZZUZZ:
damaged headgasket

cry cry cry cry

I would be glad if this is actually the problem because that's progress and I know what to deal with.
Re: Creamy Oil in radiator problem [SOLVED] Honda Accord 2004 by Kjnwancaro: 9:30am On Apr 15, 2017
honmusa:

1.To confirm if you really have head gasket issue 100% ,go for compression test.
2.Headgasket doesn't just get burnt up ,you still need to do further investigation of the reason why?probably you have a prior overheating before that damage it or the engine has been opened before and headgasket work not properly done.

How's the test done? Can I do it myself or seek professional help?

Overheated once, no damage at all and engine has never been worked on sir.
Re: Creamy Oil in radiator problem [SOLVED] Honda Accord 2004 by honmusa(m): 10:06am On Apr 15, 2017
Kjnwancaro:

How's the test done? Can I do it myself or seek professional help?

Overheated once, no damage at all and engine has never been worked on sir.
That overheating that has happened once might has caused the gasket issue.
That confirmation required a professional equipment ,if you are in Lagos ,u can come to my workshop autologic @gbagada for the headgasket diagnostics test.
Re: Creamy Oil in radiator problem [SOLVED] Honda Accord 2004 by honmusa(m): 10:12am On Apr 15, 2017
Kjnwancaro:

Here, but I did not take a picture when it first happened so this is like a residue. This thing was thicker. I thought the amount I found in the reservoir was huge but when the rad was flushed I was shocked. Engine and gear oil intact.

That is oil mixing with the coolant in the Radiator.
Re: Creamy Oil in radiator problem [SOLVED] Honda Accord 2004 by Kjnwancaro: 10:16am On Apr 15, 2017
honmusa:

That overheating that has happened once might has caused the gasket issue.
That confirmation required a professional equipment ,if you are in Lagos ,u can come to my workshop autologic @gbagada for the headgasket diagnostics test.

This happened around 9-10 mos ago, does it take that long to manifest failings?
Re: Creamy Oil in radiator problem [SOLVED] Honda Accord 2004 by timifakay(m): 10:24am On Apr 15, 2017
Kjnwancaro:

Oil getting into radiator occurs only when there's burnt head gasket.
Re: Creamy Oil in radiator problem [SOLVED] Honda Accord 2004 by honmusa(m): 11:00am On Apr 15, 2017
Kjnwancaro:

This happened around 9-10 mos ago, does it take that long to manifest failings?
It still an assumption that u have a gasket leak cos that is one of the symptom u jsut reveal now ,best the indicator is with head gasket leaking is cylinder compression will reduce relatively which is what the test will show u .

2 Likes

Re: Creamy Oil in radiator problem [SOLVED] Honda Accord 2004 by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:07pm On Apr 15, 2017
Kjnwancaro:

cry cry cry cry

I would be glad if this is actually the problem because that's progress and I know what to deal with.

Check transmission oil, if it is contaminated, then that explains the oil in coolant

1 Like

Re: Creamy Oil in radiator problem [SOLVED] Honda Accord 2004 by locutas: 2:49pm On Apr 15, 2017
Kjnwancaro:
Thank God I was able to notice the temperature of the Accord 04 V6 rising beyond normal, right then I pulled over to the side of the road and released the hood. ...

Nagode

I know it's a Honda, but on VAG models mixing the recommended G12/G13 coolant with other types of coolant has been know to cause the formation of some sticky goo.
Re: Creamy Oil in radiator problem [SOLVED] Honda Accord 2004 by sultaan(m): 4:41pm On Apr 15, 2017
It should be a small leak at the head gasket do a oil change mix up the old oil and put it in a coke bottle till almost filled the look at the narrow neck of the bottle for sign of water , or transmission fluid from the trans cooler leak

1 Like

Re: Creamy Oil in radiator problem [SOLVED] Honda Accord 2004 by Kjnwancaro: 5:00pm On Apr 15, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Check transmission oil, if it is contaminated, then that explains the oil in coolant

sultaan:
It should be a small leak at the head gasket do a oil change mix up the old oil and put it in a coke bottle till almost filled the look at the narrow neck of the bottle for sign of water , or transmission fluid from the trans cooler leak

locutas:

I know it's a Honda, but on VAG models mixing the recommended G12/G13 coolant with other types of coolant has been know to cause the formation of some sticky goo.

honmusa:

It still an assumption that u have a gasket leak cos that is one of the symptom u jsut reveal now ,best the indicator is with head gasket leaking is cylinder compression will reduce relatively which is what the test will show u .

timifakay:

Oil getting into radiator occurs only when there's burnt head gasket.

After driving from Akure today to Akungba, just before I got home the D transmission started blinking and wasn't selecting as usual. This could be it?
Re: Creamy Oil in radiator problem [SOLVED] Honda Accord 2004 by honmusa(m): 5:26pm On Apr 15, 2017
Kjnwancaro:

After driving from Akure today to Akungba, just before I got home the D transmission started blinking and wasn't selecting as usual. This could be it?
Seems what u have is transmission oil leaking into the Radiator. Your transmission oil cooler is leaking in your coolant Radiator.

1 Like

Re: Creamy Oil in radiator problem [SOLVED] Honda Accord 2004 by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:44pm On Apr 15, 2017
Kjnwancaro:

checks transmission oil colour via dipstick sir
Re: Creamy Oil in radiator problem [SOLVED] Honda Accord 2004 by oblo(m): 8:13pm On Apr 15, 2017
honmusa:

Seems what u have is transmission oil leaking into the Radiator. Your transmission oil cooler is leaking in your coolant Radiator.

Spot on. Please get this fixed fast else you loose your transmission altogether.

You would/might have to change and replace your radiator as in most cases the transmission oil cooler is inbuilt with the radiator.
Re: Creamy Oil in radiator problem [SOLVED] Honda Accord 2004 by timifakay(m): 10:29pm On Apr 15, 2017
Kjnwancaro:

Guage transmission oil and scan.
Transmission oil flows through the lower part of radiator to be cooked down, that could be where there's a leak.
Re: Creamy Oil in radiator problem [SOLVED] Honda Accord 2004 by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:07am On Apr 16, 2017
oblo:

Spot on. Please get this fixed fast else you loose your transmission altogether.

You would/might have to change and replace your radiator as in most cases the transmission oil cooler is inbuilt with the radiator.

this happens in extremely rear occasions in honda radiators. Personally I don't thing it is the culprit. But he should check transmission oil colour.

My money is on the head gasket wink
Re: Creamy Oil in radiator problem [SOLVED] Honda Accord 2004 by Kjnwancaro: 10:34am On Apr 16, 2017
honmusa:

GAZZUZZ:

checks transmission oil colour via dipstick sir

Transmission dip stick, oil looks good.

No more overheating, the rad cover was the culprit.

Re: Creamy Oil in radiator problem [SOLVED] Honda Accord 2004 by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:40am On Apr 16, 2017
Kjnwancaro:

Back to head gasket unfortunately.

1 Like

Re: Creamy Oil in radiator problem [SOLVED] Honda Accord 2004 by b2212(m): 3:37pm On Apr 16, 2017
Kjnwancaro:

Don't know if Hondas use engine oil coolers mated to the radiator. In Ford vans this usually happens when the oil cooler goes bad and releases oil into the radiator
Re: Creamy Oil in radiator problem [SOLVED] Honda Accord 2004 by Kjnwancaro: 5:10pm On Apr 20, 2017
So I'm here with the update on the repair of the vehicle.

Gasket was changed, took the dude one day to tear it open and the next day to couple it back together.

Observations;

1. Car jerks fast even when in motion, the moment I speed up it become unnoticeable. I did change the engine oil with total 7000 synthetic based, never used this oil before now but I couldn't find any other synthetic oil around.

2. Check engine light flashing, although it was Permanently on prior to the repair.

3. Gear is back to normal, selecting well and D not flashing. I didn't change the oil

What do my Ogas have to say?
Re: Creamy Oil in radiator problem [SOLVED] Honda Accord 2004 by honmusa(m): 6:02pm On Apr 20, 2017
Kjnwancaro:

Gasket was changed, took the dude one day to tear it open and the next day to couple it back together.

Observations;

1. Car jerks fast even when in motion, the moment I speed up it become unnoticeable. I did change the engine oil with total 7000 synthetic based, never used this oil before now but I couldn't find any other synthetic oil around.

2. Check engine light flashing, although it was Permanently on prior to the repair.

3. Gear is back to normal, selecting well and D not flashing. I didn't change the oil

Flashing checking engine and vibration :low compression due to bad job in process of fixing the head Gasket (back to square one) or ignition coil not properly inserted .
Re: Creamy Oil in radiator problem [SOLVED] Honda Accord 2004 by Kjnwancaro: 6:21pm On Apr 20, 2017
honmusa:

Flashing checking engine and vibration :low compression due to bad job in process of fixing the head Gasket (back to square one) or ignition coil not properly inserted .

embarassed embarassed

OMG
Re: Creamy Oil in radiator problem [SOLVED] Honda Accord 2004 by sultaan(m): 8:36pm On Apr 20, 2017
Or timing off
Re: Creamy Oil in radiator problem [SOLVED] Honda Accord 2004 by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:54pm On Apr 20, 2017
blinking check engine light is a sign of a misfire.

Do a cylinder drop test, it might be as simple as a non responsive sparkplug.

Re: Creamy Oil in radiator problem [SOLVED] Honda Accord 2004 by honmusa(m): 6:22am On Apr 21, 2017
Kjnwancaro:

Observations;

If I were u ,I wouldn't be such in hurry for my engine to be opened up .What if the issue is not gasket issue .
U should have taken your time for definite diagnosis to be done on the car and seek second and even third opinion and strong evidence to be sure 100% .

1 Like

Re: Creamy Oil in radiator problem [SOLVED] Honda Accord 2004 by sultaan(m): 6:53am On Apr 21, 2017
honmusa:

If I were u ,I wouldn't be such in hurry for my engine to be opened up .What if the issue is not gasket issue .
U should have taken your time for definite diagnosis to be done on the car and seek second and even third opinion and strong evidence to be sure 100% .

That was why I said he does a oil change and look for sign of water in the oil, a contaminated container used to add water to the car can caused that.
Re: Creamy Oil in radiator problem [SOLVED] Honda Accord 2004 by honmusa(m): 7:40am On Apr 21, 2017
sultaan:

That was why I said he does a oil change and look for sign of water in the oil, a contaminated container used to add water to the car can caused that.
Exactly ,,that is a possibility !!!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Checkout The Engine I Bought Today. / Best Option For Uber 406 Vs Honda EOD Vs Benz C Class / Upgrade To The New Trending 3d Car Logo Display For Your Car Door

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.