Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,817 members, 7,813,696 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:31 PM

Minister Of Defence And National Security Adviser. Who Is More Powerful? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Minister Of Defence And National Security Adviser. Who Is More Powerful? (3020 Views)

Buhari Entering The Venue Of Defence College Graduation (Photo) / BREAKING: We Have Arrested Killers Of Ex-chief Of Defence Staff, Badeh – Police / Chief Of Defence Staff Vs Chief Of Army Staff: Which Position Is More Superior? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Minister Of Defence And National Security Adviser. Who Is More Powerful? by iykemoney90(m): 10:10am On Apr 15, 2017
I'm made to ask this because I hardly see any news on minister of defense unlike National Security Adviser. Who is more powerful constitutionally?
Re: Minister Of Defence And National Security Adviser. Who Is More Powerful? by Mynd44: 10:18am On Apr 15, 2017
They are their own bosses. No one is superior
Re: Minister Of Defence And National Security Adviser. Who Is More Powerful? by DaniDani(m): 10:49am On Apr 15, 2017
Immediately I sited mynd44 I thought that the thread has been closed as usual not knowing that he came to drop a comment. The truth is that the National Security adviser seems to command more influence and popularity but the minster of defense gather more responsibilities. ATM Dasuki and late Andrew Azizi were more influential than the former Minister of defense under Jonathan.
Re: Minister Of Defence And National Security Adviser. Who Is More Powerful? by kaboninc(m): 10:55am On Apr 15, 2017
The NSA is very very powerful.

The Minister is just a political appointee, an appendage...

Advisers are the most powerful people because they can swing decisions.

2 Likes

Re: Minister Of Defence And National Security Adviser. Who Is More Powerful? by Nobody: 11:03am On Apr 15, 2017
Mynd44:
Negative
NSA is more than minister of Defence

All intelligence services report to him
NSA is responsible for briefing the president & providing counter intelligence/ response
NSA runs Nigeria's elite AFSF in the front lines

The minister is political head coordinating MOD
For him to get any major security project done, he needs NSA to give green light to Mr Prez

2 Likes

Re: Minister Of Defence And National Security Adviser. Who Is More Powerful? by Atiku2019: 11:05am On Apr 15, 2017
Dasuki and Aliyu Gusau who was more popular?

cool
Re: Minister Of Defence And National Security Adviser. Who Is More Powerful? by AirFireEarthH20: 11:16am On Apr 15, 2017
Mynd44:

illiterate, na now i know say you no go school. Yes, ban me!

How can you say a mere Defence Minister is same in superiority with a powerful position like that of National Security Adviser that has SSS, NIA, all military and intelligence agencies report to him and he is their boss except the Commander-in-Chief (C in C)?

Both local and foreign intelligence reports end on his table before he presents to C-in-C. No military action can be taken anywhere without his final advice to the C-in- C.

Defence Minister can not even see or have access to the President without NSA approval.

I say again, you are an illiterate. Ban me

3 Likes

Re: Minister Of Defence And National Security Adviser. Who Is More Powerful? by Sarkki: 11:24am On Apr 15, 2017
See Mynd Fall My Hand Sha !!
Re: Minister Of Defence And National Security Adviser. Who Is More Powerful? by Sarkki: 11:25am On Apr 15, 2017
AirFireEarthH20:

How can you say a mere Defence Minister is same in superiority with a powerful position like that of National Security Adviser that has SSS, NIA, all military and intelligence agencies report to him and he is their boss except the Commander-in-Chief (C in C)?

Both local and foreign intelligence reports ends on his table before he presents to C-in-C. No military action can be taken anywhere without his final advice to the C-in- C.

Yr Head Correct Joor

1 Like

Re: Minister Of Defence And National Security Adviser. Who Is More Powerful? by Diplomaticbeing(m): 11:27am On Apr 15, 2017
Notionally the minister of defence but literary, NSA.
Re: Minister Of Defence And National Security Adviser. Who Is More Powerful? by Rogersmith(m): 11:42am On Apr 15, 2017
NIA and DSS is under the office of national security adviser

1 Like

Re: Minister Of Defence And National Security Adviser. Who Is More Powerful? by iykemoney90(m): 12:11pm On Apr 15, 2017
kaboninc:

Bringing constitutional prowess in play here not influence. Who has more powers?
Re: Minister Of Defence And National Security Adviser. Who Is More Powerful? by obonujoker(m): 12:19pm On Apr 15, 2017
NSA now... National security adviser ma ni... even from watching Hollywood movies you'd know....

1 Like

Re: Minister Of Defence And National Security Adviser. Who Is More Powerful? by Brunicekid(m): 1:59pm On Feb 20, 2020
Yes ooo... Who is indeed more powerful?
Re: Minister Of Defence And National Security Adviser. Who Is More Powerful? by Brunicekid(m): 2:00pm On Feb 20, 2020
kaboninc:

The NSA too is a Political Appointee, just like the Minister of Defence. I mean, none of them were elected by the Nigeria Populace.
Re: Minister Of Defence And National Security Adviser. Who Is More Powerful? by Dedetwo(m): 4:00pm On Feb 20, 2020
kaboninc:

NSA (National Security Agency) is not more powerful than Ministry of defense.
National Security Adviser and Minister of Defense are political appointees
National Security Adviser and Minister of Defense are advisers to Presidency.

National Security Adviser will not attend any meeting of the ministers however National Security Adviser and Minister of Defense may attend National Security Executive meetings. National Security Adviser does not represent the country as do the Minister of Defense on the continental matters.
Re: Minister Of Defence And National Security Adviser. Who Is More Powerful? by Dedetwo(m): 4:10pm On Feb 20, 2020
AirFireEarthH20:

Ho[b]w can you say a mere Defence Minister is same in superiority with a powerful position like that of National Security Adviser that has SSS, NIA, all military and intelligence agencies report to him and he is their boss except the Commander-in-Chief (C in C)?[/b]

Both local and foreign intelligence reports end on his table before he presents to C-in-C. No military action can be taken anywhere without his final advice to the C-in- C.

Defence Minister can not even see or have access to the President without NSA approval.

I do not know about Nigeria but the bolded is laughable. National Security Adviser is not even the Director of National Security Agency. SSS, NIA, all military intelligence agencies do not report to National Security Adviser however they brief him/her on the need-to-know bases. All military intelligence agencies report to Ministry of Defense. National Security Adviser to president only gets to know what has been briefed to the president. He/she is not the Director of National Security Agency.
Re: Minister Of Defence And National Security Adviser. Who Is More Powerful? by 0m0nnakoda: 4:12pm On Feb 20, 2020
In Nigeria it is not clear and depends on the President

We all remember how powerful Sergeant Roger was to the extent that he was ordering generals around.
An NSA can become extremely powerful if the president allows it but that is not set out constitutionally

Under military government e.g IBB Abacha was Minister of defence and more powerful

In the American system which we copy the Secretary of defence is a more senior position
The NSA works with the Whitehouse and is clearly below the level of a Secretary

Those saying that NSA is this and that are talking rubbish he has no authority over any soldier
The NSA can only wield Sergeant Roger type power when the president allows it deliberately or out of weakness

The Minister of Defence should be the more senior person
Re: Minister Of Defence And National Security Adviser. Who Is More Powerful? by 0m0nnakoda: 4:32pm On Feb 20, 2020
Dedetwo:

National Security Adviser will not attend any meeting of the ministers however National Security Adviser and Minister of Defense may attend National Security Executive meetings. National Security Adviser does not represent the country as do the Minister of Defense on the continental matters.

Mostly right but there is nothing like National Security Agency in Nigeria
Re: Minister Of Defence And National Security Adviser. Who Is More Powerful? by 0m0nnakoda: 4:34pm On Feb 20, 2020
Rogersmith:
NIA and DSS is under the office of national security adviser
Can you substantiate this with reference to any source?
Re: Minister Of Defence And National Security Adviser. Who Is More Powerful? by MetaPhysical: 4:37pm On Feb 20, 2020
iykemoney90:
I'm made to ask this because I hardly see any news on minister of defense unlike National Security Adviser. Who is more powerful constitutionally?

Many of you have been taught wrong, amongst these very few have undertaken self-development and corrected their deficiency....but many are still wallowing in their defective knowledge.

Im going to present you a path to gain knowledge on this subject you opened thread to discuss.

What is the statutory function of a NSA?

What is the statutory function of a Minister of Defense?
Re: Minister Of Defence And National Security Adviser. Who Is More Powerful? by kaboninc(m): 10:16am On Feb 21, 2020
Dedetwo:

Ok
Re: Minister Of Defence And National Security Adviser. Who Is More Powerful? by kaboninc(m): 10:17am On Feb 21, 2020
Brunicekid:
The NSA too is a Political Appointee, just like the Minister of Defence. I mean, none of them were elected by the Nigeria Populace.

Everyone who's not elected but appointed is political?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Twitter: See Information Leaked To Nigerian Army / Fierce-looking Marine Commandos Of The Biafran Navy On A Nuclear-powered Warship / Osinbanjo wanted to resign and handover to saraki after Duara's yabbing him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.