Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,153 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:36 AM

10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist (51311 Views)

Top 10 Words Nigerians Use That Aren’t In The Dictionary / I'm Sure Some People don't Know The Meaning Of These words We Use Everyday(pics / 11 Words Nigerians Tend To Mispronounce On A Daily Basis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist by sisisioge: 8:00am On Apr 19, 2017
We sincerely apologize grin
Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist by Imyourex(m): 8:03am On Apr 19, 2017
As I finish eating that PEPPERISH Kilishi, I use PACKER pack the dirty throway, Na so I use FLASHING disturb my girlfriend wey I wan DISVIRGIN NEXT-TOMORROW, with the Phone I was OPPORTUNED to get from my CUNNY friend and I'm paying INSTALMENTALLY. Na so one driver inside GO-SLOW dey look me and forget to TRAFFICATE.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist by DerrickM(m): 8:06am On Apr 19, 2017
Bro,nice list all are correct except pepperish & cunning which are confirmed English words not Naija lingo. We learn everyday,cheers...

ngoremeka:

Many people speak English as their first language. It is one of the most commonly spoken languages in the world.
Nigerians are very good at a number of things and one of them is inventing their own version of English which has become popular overtime.
Some of the words and phrases we use often cannot be found in the dictionary. Some are words you picked up from others and they have become quite a norm.
It is not only the uneducated folks that are guilty of using these wrong words as the very educated Nigerians also use the English language inappropriately.
Below are words Nigerians use that don’t exist in the English dictionary.
1. Go-slow: When Nigerians say go-slow, they mean congested traffic, which is wrong. The meaning of go-slow in the English dictionary is, a form of industrial action in which work or progress is deliberately delayed or slowed down.
2. Disvirgin: This word is used on a daily basis by many Nigerians when they intend to say a woman has lost her virginity. There is no word like disvirgin. The correct word to use is deflower. Disvirgin simply does not exist.
3. Trafficate: Nigerians use the word to describe a situation where a driver indicates to other drivers that he/she wants to take a turn. It is used so often, that it has started to sound like proper English.
4. Flashing: Every Nigerian knows “flashing” to mean when someone calls your mobile phone and cuts off before you answer. The word ‘flash’ is so common among Nigerians and its used at least once daily by many. Flash has different meanings but none has anything to do with a phone call. The word doesn’t exist in that sense in English.
5. Installmentally: Don’t be tempted to use the word ‘installmentally’. Though it sounds correct, it isn’t. There is no such word in the English dictionary as it exists only in the Nigerian edition of English language. The correct thing to say is ‘in installments’.
6. Opportuned: What exists in English dictionaries is ‘opportune,’ without ‘d’ at the end. Opportune means ‘timely’ or ‘well-time, especially convenient or appropriate for a particular action or event. Opportuned is only common in Nigerian English.
7. Cunny: This is a word which Nigerians use to describe someone that is being deceitful or crafty. The right word is cunning not cunny.
8. Next tomorrow: Most Nigerians generally use “next tomorrow” but there is not such word as next tomorrow. Instead you should say, “a day after tomorrow."
9. Packer: Nigerians probably got the word from pack. The right word is dustpan. Since dustpan packs dirt, Nigerians like to call it packer.
10. Pepperish: It is common to hear Nigerians describe a meal that has too much pepper in it as pepperish. The proper word should be ‘peppery’. No native English speaker uses the word pepperish” to describe the burning sensation we feel from eating pepper.
Which of these words are you guilty of?
Not too late to learn something new,I learnt too.. you can add other mistakes below
Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist by professore(m): 8:08am On Apr 19, 2017
You tried but i will disagree with the 'flash' aspect.
Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist by zanga420: 8:09am On Apr 19, 2017
ngoremeka:
thank you very much
it will not be bad if you put the correct ones to use in such situations. Thanks
Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist by MosD: 8:11am On Apr 19, 2017
Nice one. Another one is bogus; in nigerian context, bogus is something very big. Far from it, an assignment, go check it up
Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist by Nobody: 8:13am On Apr 19, 2017
okay
Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist by buklarbest: 8:15am On Apr 19, 2017
[b][/b]Nice one, Pls let's remind a particular tribe in Nigeria to stop using WHERE whenever they wanna use WERE. I use to wonder if dey attend primary school at all...

WERE is different from WHERE
Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist by 989900: 8:15am On Apr 19, 2017
borednhorny:
I was opportuned to meet the lady selling packers and other plastic items beside the canteen where the soup is always pepperish. She told me i would be the one to disvirgin her if i left my cunny ways behind. On my way to her place there was go slow and her incessant flashing on my phone made me hit the van in front of me when the driver did not trafficate before turning. I promised to pay for the repair of the van installmentally and i shifted my appointment with the lady to next tomorrow.

Genius.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist by Oscar4real(m): 8:17am On Apr 19, 2017
educative... thanks a million
Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist by 989900: 8:17am On Apr 19, 2017
Some of the words are disputable, some are wrong in England, but not necessarily incorrect, each English speaking country has its own modified version.

1 Like

Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist by obailala(m): 8:17am On Apr 19, 2017
ngoremeka:

Many people speak English as their first language. It is one of the most commonly spoken languages in the world.
Nigerians are very good at a number of things and one of them is inventing their own version of English which has become popular overtime.
Some of the words and phrases we use often cannot be found in the dictionary. Some are words you picked up from others and they have become quite a norm.
It is not only the uneducated folks that are guilty of using these wrong words as the very educated Nigerians also use the English language inappropriately.
Below are words Nigerians use that don’t exist in the English dictionary.
1. Go-slow: When Nigerians say go-slow, they mean congested traffic, which is wrong. The meaning of go-slow in the English dictionary is, a form of industrial action in which work or progress is deliberately delayed or slowed down.
2. Disvirgin: This word is used on a daily basis by many Nigerians when they intend to say a woman has lost her virginity. There is no word like disvirgin. The correct word to use is deflower. Disvirgin simply does not exist.
3. Trafficate: Nigerians use the word to describe a situation where a driver indicates to other drivers that he/she wants to take a turn. It is used so often, that it has started to sound like proper English.
4. Flashing: Every Nigerian knows “flashing” to mean when someone calls your mobile phone and cuts off before you answer. The word ‘flash’ is so common among Nigerians and its used at least once daily by many. Flash has different meanings but none has anything to do with a phone call. The word doesn’t exist in that sense in English.
5. Installmentally: Don’t be tempted to use the word ‘installmentally’. Though it sounds correct, it isn’t. There is no such word in the English dictionary as it exists only in the Nigerian edition of English language. The correct thing to say is ‘in installments’.
6. Opportuned: What exists in English dictionaries is ‘opportune,’ without ‘d’ at the end. Opportune means ‘timely’ or ‘well-time, especially convenient or appropriate for a particular action or event. Opportuned is only common in Nigerian English.
7. Cunny: This is a word which Nigerians use to describe someone that is being deceitful or crafty. The right word is cunning not cunny.
8. Next tomorrow: Most Nigerians generally use “next tomorrow” but there is not such word as next tomorrow. Instead you should say, “a day after tomorrow."
9. Packer: Nigerians probably got the word from pack. The right word is dustpan. Since dustpan packs dirt, Nigerians like to call it packer.
10. Pepperish: It is common to hear Nigerians describe a meal that has too much pepper in it as pepperish. The proper word should be ‘peppery’. No native English speaker uses the word pepperish” to describe the burning sensation we feel from eating pepper.
Which of these words are you guilty of?
Not too late to learn something new,I learnt too.. you can add other mistakes below
New words enter into the dictionary everyday. These words are already very common in Nigerian circles and I see no reason why anyone should tell me they are wrong. When new words like these are commonly used in other English speaking parts of the world, they are eventually infused into the latest edition of various English dictionaries; so I see no reason why Nigerians have to be worried over the use of these new words, except of course we believe the story that we are inferior and should have no rights to contribute new words to English language.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist by Gsentme(m): 8:20am On Apr 19, 2017
U hv vowed not to take correction in ur life, so I'm not surprise to see this. Let it be permanent in ur life...
Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist by leobrownish(m): 8:21am On Apr 19, 2017
isholafisayo:

Nice one....., but i feel it will be better if you can tell us the right words to use in each context since you are educating us...
for example the right word to use for no 10(pepperish) is peppery e.g The food is peppery

u mean right sentence ryt cause the right words were indicated there.
Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist by Titugirl(f): 8:22am On Apr 19, 2017
Nice post but you did not tell us the right words for trafficate and flashing.

1 Like

Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist by toseen7: 8:23am On Apr 19, 2017
borednhorny:
I was opportuned to meet the lady selling packers and other plastic items beside the canteen where the soup is always pepperish. She told me i would be the one to disvirgin her if i left my cunny ways behind. On my way to her place there was go slow and her incessant flashing on my phone made me hit the van in front of me when the driver did not trafficate before turning. I promised to pay for the repair of the van installmentally and i shifted my appointment with the lady to next tomorrow.
Omorrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist by Nobody: 8:26am On Apr 19, 2017
Which word should be used instead of flashing then
Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist by olowobaba10: 8:29am On Apr 19, 2017
The word trafficate is not correct but trafficator is very correct

The words packer, peppery are very correct ,check out the dictionary

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/peppery?s=t
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/packer?s=ts
Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist by offio(m): 8:31am On Apr 19, 2017
thanks for this
Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist by agbonkamen(f): 8:31am On Apr 19, 2017
Tamzblaze:
Nice one OP... but for the words that do not exist, tell us the right word which is correct, so that we can substitute the wrong ones.
For example you gave the correct word for DISVIRGIN as DEFLOWER. But no correct word for GO-SLOW etc.
that one is not hard na is called HOLD SLOW.....Lmao
Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist by UbChapter(m): 8:40am On Apr 19, 2017
May be the word "sex" too does not exist
Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist by temmyo: 8:40am On Apr 19, 2017
psucc:
Based on logistics? Yes these words do not exist but we create them.

It's left for the whites to add them to existing English dictions

Why can't the 'blacks' have their own standard dictionary and add them there? Must you wake for the 'whites'to do everything?
Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist by ruffhandu: 8:42am On Apr 19, 2017
ngoremeka:

I am sure you did not check the dictionary before posting this, not even google.

disvirgin. Verb. (third-person singular simple present disvirgins, present participle disvirgining, simple past and past participle disvirgined) To take away the virginity of a person.
Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist by nobsalis: 8:44am On Apr 19, 2017
Afam4eva:

Atleast you could have given credit to the original writer.
https://www.nairaland.com/3250594/10-common-words-nigerians-use
ExAngel007

e no go better for copy and paste:

E go pain d OP sha.

1 Like

Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist by Slurity(m): 8:45am On Apr 19, 2017
borednhorny:
Excellent, you are actually bored but not Hot as you claimed. you are bored and intelligent.
Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist by Koskio(m): 8:46am On Apr 19, 2017
Thumbs up, Op
Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist by pierrenwob: 8:48am On Apr 19, 2017
What of "Copy Cat"? Is it correct? #plagiarism. You stole someone's article and are taking credit. Shame!
https://www.nairaland.com/3250594/10-common-words-nigerians-use

Oya Return the credit Kia Kia.
Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist by zeezeegal(m): 8:50am On Apr 19, 2017
borednhorny:
U Sabi Essay O
Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist by UbChapter(m): 8:55am On Apr 19, 2017
There are some English words Nigerians would not waste their time speaking whether correct or wrong. Example is, which Nigerian would waste his time to say "dustpan" (even who he is talking to may not undestand) when he can simply say "parker" and move on.
Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist by redbull5: 8:59am On Apr 19, 2017
FLASH
(transitive) To telephone a person, only allowing the phone to ring once, in order to request a call back.
''Susan flashed Jessica, and then Jessica called her back, because Susan didn't have enough credit on her phone to make the call.
Op, before give a list of non existing words that are commonly used by Nigerians, pls make a proper research. Your fourth point is wrong. Check your dic.
Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist by cozyfaithex(f): 9:04am On Apr 19, 2017
nice one
Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist by AgentOfAllah: 9:06am On Apr 19, 2017
I do not know how this OP defines "Existence". Any word that is in common usage, and serves as a placeholder for clearly understood concepts exists!

Get this OP: Dictionaries derive their importance from spoken words! Thus, when your Oxford and Webster prescriptions omit certain words that are well in use in Nigeria, the appropriate interpretation is that those dictionaries are made to cater to the needs of their primary targets; British and American societies, respectively. As such, they are inadequate manuals, ill-equipped to address the rich and descriptive diversity of the Nigerian lexicon. What they must not become is divinely inspired omniscient texts that reduce the unique Nigerian experience to "Nonexistence".

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

FG Approves Reopening Of Universities, Polytechnics, Unity Schools On October 12 / How Private School Owners Are Dubiously Cheating Their Teachers / How DELSU Students Who Matriculated Were Treated Today (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.