Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,553 members, 7,812,769 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:59 PM

Are There Supposed To Be Any Rituals In Christianity? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are There Supposed To Be Any Rituals In Christianity? (984 Views)

Prophet Odumeje: Native Doctor Performs Rituals Against Chukwuemeka Ohanemere / Why Should I Believe In Christianity? / Misconceptions About The Issue Of Being Born Again In Christianity. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are There Supposed To Be Any Rituals In Christianity? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:01pm On Apr 19, 2017
Are there supposed to be any rituals in Christianity? Does true biblical Christianity have any rituals?
Re: Are There Supposed To Be Any Rituals In Christianity? by Nobody: 3:47pm On Apr 19, 2017
A ritual is usually associated with a secular practice (from my understanding) & seems to be a mandatory component within those associations.
I would not associate rituals with churches on a whole. Churches tend to have "traditions"...(not that tradition is always a good thing).
I would say "no" to rituals being used in Christianity.
It would then become something other than Christianity....
Re: Are There Supposed To Be Any Rituals In Christianity? by Ubenedictus(m): 4:43pm On Apr 19, 2017
OLAADEGBU:
Are there supposed to be any rituals in Christianity? Does true biblical Christianity have any rituals?
YES!!!
Chief among those rituals is baptism and the lord's supper.

1 Like

Re: Are There Supposed To Be Any Rituals In Christianity? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:47pm On Apr 19, 2017
Ubenedictus:

YES!!!
Chief among those rituals is baptism and the lord's supper.

Water baptism and the Lord's Supper are the only ordinances commanded to be done in Christianity, no more no less. cool
Re: Are There Supposed To Be Any Rituals In Christianity? by Ubenedictus(m): 6:14pm On Apr 19, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

Water baptism and the Lord's Supper are the only ordinances commanded to be done in Christianity, no more no less. cool
ritual /ˈrɪtʃʊəl/ noun
1. a religious or solemn ceremony
consisting of a series of actions performed according to a prescribed order.

adjective 1. relating to or done as a religious or solemn rite.

Both baptism and lord's supper are rituals, they are religious ceremony done in a prescribed order. take bread and wine, give thanks while recall what Jesus did, pray, break d bread and eat d bread and wine... that is the religious ceremony called d last supper.
it satisfy the definition of a ritual, hence it is a ritual.

1 Like

Re: Are There Supposed To Be Any Rituals In Christianity? by Nobody: 6:35pm On Apr 19, 2017
Ubenedictus:
ritual /ˈrɪtʃʊəl/ noun

Both baptism and lord's supper are rituals, they are religious ceremony done in a prescribed order. take bread and wine, give thanks while recall what Jesus did, pray, break d bread and eat d bread and wine... that is the religious ceremony called d last supper.

Brother,
Did you give the other numerous definitions (which include secular organizations) of a "ritual"?
I used to be in a sorority....which had many rituals.
Hence the reason I answered the question the way I did.

You are Catholic correct?
So your response is expected.
The Catholic church is rife with rituals.

I have partaken in Baptism & continue (quarterly) in Communion/Footwashing and I don't call those "rituals". We have been commanded to engage in those ordinances.
The word/definition is where we have a disagreement.
Re: Are There Supposed To Be Any Rituals In Christianity? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:35pm On Apr 19, 2017
Ubenedictus:

ritual /ˈrɪtʃʊəl/ noun

Either you call it a ritual, ordinance or sacrament what's the difference? Apart from those two are there any other ordinances mandated for Christians to observe? undecided
Re: Are There Supposed To Be Any Rituals In Christianity? by Wilgrea7(m): 6:36pm On Apr 19, 2017
Ubenedictus has a good point... whenever a Christian hears ritual, he/she relates it to the devil

a ritual is an act done in the physical which would have a corresponding effect in the spiritual... the holy communion is an example of such... rituals mustn't necessarily deal with blood

1 Like

Re: Are There Supposed To Be Any Rituals In Christianity? by Nobody: 6:41pm On Apr 19, 2017
Wilgrea7:
Ubenedictus has a good point... whenever a Christian hears ritual, he/she relates it to the devil

a ritual is an act done in the physical which would have a corresponding effect in the spiritual... the holy communion is an example of such... rituals mustn't necessarily deal with blood

Brothet,
The rituals i was speaking about have nothingto do with blood. However, they weren't spiritual by any means....
Re: Are There Supposed To Be Any Rituals In Christianity? by Wilgrea7(m): 7:07pm On Apr 19, 2017
MZLady39:

Brother,
The rituals i was speaking about have nothing to do with blood. However, they weren't spiritual by any means....

ok... but then what would you call the Holy communion and baptism... are you saying they don't have an atom of spiritual meaning?
Re: Are There Supposed To Be Any Rituals In Christianity? by Ubenedictus(m): 7:10pm On Apr 19, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

Either you call it a ritual, ordinance or sacrament what's the difference? Apart from those two are there any other ordinances mandated for Christians to observe? undecided
Laying of hands, anoiting d sick,...etc
Re: Are There Supposed To Be Any Rituals In Christianity? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Apr 19, 2017
Wilgrea7:

ok... but then what would you call the Holy communion and baptism... are you saying they don't have an atom of spiritual meaning?

Holy communion & baptism are required ordinances...to me.
They have spiritual meaning...but i'm not completely convinced that the word "ritual" does.
I'm wondering if it's pagan in origin...but was brought into the church.
On that part I could be wrong though.
I think that since the word has such a negative connotation, then it's better not to associate it with the church.
Re: Are There Supposed To Be Any Rituals In Christianity? by Wilgrea7(m): 8:11pm On Apr 19, 2017
MZLady39:

Holy communion & baptism are required ordinances...to me.
They have spiritual meaning...but i'm not completely convinced that the word "ritual" does.
I'm wondering if it's pagan in origin...but was brought into the church.
On that part I could be wrong though.
I think that since the word has such a negative connotation, then it's better not to associate it with the church.

the word “ritual" sounds pagan because Christianity has painted it that way... the Jews performed rituals... even blood rituals... although with the blood of animals.... “ordinance" is also ritual... I'll attach a screenshot of the dictionary meaning of ordinance.... rituals have different purposes... ritual is a series of acts done in the physical having effect in the spiritual... and yes it is often commanded... below is the screenshot

Re: Are There Supposed To Be Any Rituals In Christianity? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Apr 19, 2017
Wilgrea7:

the word “ritual" sounds pagan because Christianity has painted it that way... the Jews performed rituals... even blood rituals... although with the blood of animals.... “ordinance" is also ritual... I'll attach a screenshot of the dictionary meaning of ordinance.... rituals have different purposes... ritual is a series of acts done in the physical having effect in the spiritual... and yes it is often commanded... below is the screenshot

Thanks brother
Re: Are There Supposed To Be Any Rituals In Christianity? by Wilgrea7(m): 9:33pm On Apr 19, 2017
MZLady39:

Thanks brother
the pleasure is mine smiley
Re: Are There Supposed To Be Any Rituals In Christianity? by Ubenedictus(m): 9:53pm On Apr 19, 2017
MZLady39:

Brother,
Did you give the other numerous definitions (which include secular organizations) of a "ritual"?
I used to be in a sorority....which had many rituals.
Hence the reason I answered the question the way I did.

You are Catholic correct?
So your response is expected.
The Catholic church is rife with rituals.

I have partaken in Baptism & continue (quarterly) in Communion/Footwashing and I don't call those "rituals". We have been commanded to engage in those ordinances.
The word/definition is where we have a disagreement.
So when a catholic says the truth it immediately become a lie abi? You dont care if what i say is true, u'll rather point at whether am catholic or not. That is bais mixed with prejudice.

Consider what i wrote if it has merit or not, do not reject it based on bais.

3 Likes

Re: Are There Supposed To Be Any Rituals In Christianity? by Nobody: 10:00pm On Apr 19, 2017
[quote author=Ubenedictus post=55726348] So when a catholic says the truth it immediately become a lie abi? You dont care if what i say is true, u'll rather point at whether am catholic or not. That is bais mixed with prejudice.

Consider what i wrote if it has merit or not, do not reject it based on bais.[/quote

Brother (and i sincerely mean that),
My apologies to you. In no way was i trying to be prejudiced towards Catholics.
Three of my immediate family members are Catholic.
I thought it was an historical fact that the Catholic church has many rituals.
I read what you wrote & appreciate the definition you gave. I was giving my view...and trying to gain an understanding of the whole concept.
Re: Are There Supposed To Be Any Rituals In Christianity? by Ubenedictus(m): 7:49pm On Apr 20, 2017
MZLady39:
Brother (and i sincerely mean that),
My apologies to you. In no way was i trying to be prejudiced towards Catholics.
Three of my immediate family members are Catholic. I thought it was an historical fact that the Catholic church has many rituals.
I read what you wrote & appreciate the
definition you gave. I was giving my view...and trying to gain an understanding of the whole
concept.
Hmm, if you say so.

And yes it is a historic fact that Christianity from it earliest times has had rituals and those rituals can proudly be seen in orthodox churches, oriental churches and the catholic church, infact any church that is over 1000yrs old have about 7 major rituals, they are: baptism, eucharist AKA last supper, confirmation, penance AKA confession, anoiting d sick, matrimony, holy orders AKA ordination. These are called sacraments or holy mystery. They are rituals and i am sure every xtian church have atleast 2 of them.
Re: Are There Supposed To Be Any Rituals In Christianity? by italo: 3:18am On Apr 21, 2017
Olaadegbu, can we all agree that there are supposed to be rituals in Christianity...

...or are you still looking for a way to twist it?

1 Like

Re: Are There Supposed To Be Any Rituals In Christianity? by Ubenedictus(m): 9:39am On Apr 21, 2017
italo:
Olaadegbu, can we all agree that there are supposed to be rituals in Christianity...

...or are you still looking for a way to twist it?
hehe
Re: Are There Supposed To Be Any Rituals In Christianity? by Nobody: 10:40am On Apr 21, 2017
Ubenedictus:
So when a catholic says the truth it immediately become a lie abi? You dont care if what i say is true, u'll rather point at whether am catholic or not. That is bais mixed with prejudice.

Consider what i wrote if it has merit or not, do not reject it based on bais.

sometimes I feel sorry for you Catholics sha.
in this 21st century everybody seems to be against you. especially in the west

when Islam is insulted everybody screams islamophobia

Judaism antisemitism

other Christian sects antichrists or bigots.

ha ha ha nothing like catholicophobia lol
Re: Are There Supposed To Be Any Rituals In Christianity? by Ubenedictus(m): 7:35pm On Apr 21, 2017
proudafrogal:

sometimes I feel sorry for you Catholics sha.
in this 21st century everybody seems to be against you. especially in the west

when Islam is insulted everybody screams islamophobia

Judaism antisemitism

other Christian sects antichrists or bigots.

ha ha ha nothing like catholicophobia lol
I am sure there is catholicophobia, i have seen it severally, many were taught in their churches to look down on catholic and they carry this bais and prejudice once d word catholic rear up. Catholics dont enjoy playing d victim but there is catholicphobia.
Re: Are There Supposed To Be Any Rituals In Christianity? by Nobody: 11:27pm On Apr 21, 2017
Ubenedictus:
I am sure there is catholicophobia, i have seen it severally, many were taught in their churches to look down on catholic and they carry this bais and prejudice once d word catholic rear up. Catholics dont enjoy playing d victim but there is catholicphobia.

yeah people hate on Catholics a lot. what I meant is it is not seen as a big deal to hate on Catholics and Jehovah witnesses. unlike Judaism and Islam that is protected. say anything about Jews or Muslims whether constructive or not you are termed a bigot antisemite or islamophobe.
Re: Are There Supposed To Be Any Rituals In Christianity? by Ubenedictus(m): 10:19am On Apr 22, 2017
proudafrogal:

yeah people hate on Catholics a lot. what I meant is it is not seen as a big deal to hate on Catholics and Jehovah witnesses. unlike Judaism and Islam that is protected. say anything about Jews or Muslims whether constructive or not you are termed a bigot antisemite or islamophobe.
the one with the jews is worse, if u argue that d holocaust killed 4 million jews not 6 million, then u can be arrested and tried for holocaust denial in europe.
Re: Are There Supposed To Be Any Rituals In Christianity? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:56am On Apr 24, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

See answers to the OP in the suggested link below:

https://www.gotquestions.org/rituals-in-Christianity.html

(1) (Reply)

Should I Pay Tithe From Winning In Soccer Betting / I Think Am Becoming A Big Fan Of Daddy Freeze / Angelic Visitation In Rccg, Kaduna Province 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.