Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,014 members, 7,814,460 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:15 PM

Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport (41082 Views)

An Overview Of The 10 Lane Oshodi-Murtala Muhammed International Airport - Pics / Atedo Peterside's Anap Jet Robbed At Murtala Muhammed International Airport / Rats Hanging From The Ceiling At Murtala Muhammed Airport Lagos (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 3:04pm On Aug 19, 2017
mmsen:

When did you last pay to breath air?

What nonsense are you talking...

You and your Buhari brain.
Oga, you are the one that lacks comprehension skills here. I just told you some people in the hospital are paying to live on air. Air is not free for all. Get sense and understand stuff!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by erico2k2(m): 3:06pm On Aug 19, 2017
mmsen:

'Free as in air' is the situation at other airports not Stansted.

Your grasp of English is poor.

'Free as in air' would entail no payment at all, at any point i.e. the system used at many other airports. A deposit is not 'free'. It's especially irritating when you're flying in from a country where you use Euros and thus have no pound coins on you.

Well what has all what you wrote got to do with my English . You have gotten this wrong deal with it.I got the Jfk one wrong HANDS UP
Now let me educate you a bit
What you do when you put money on them trolley is not PAYMENT . Rather the Token required is in a shape of the pound coin..Old people and staff at Tesco,Morrison's do not need to put money.They have a token given to them to free a trolley
Now if you still insist it's a payment of deposit you wil recieve a receipt .which is negative here .
So plz enlighten me where in the west you make a deposit payment and you do not get a receipt ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by WetinConsignMe: 3:06pm On Aug 19, 2017
So true. Once I wasn't searched at Al while the guy in front of me was thoroughly searched, all because I paid a little bribe
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by erico2k2(m): 3:07pm On Aug 19, 2017
Droyal:
The people collecting the bribes are reading this, some of them maybe nairalanders.

grin
Ahaha Nah true ohhh

1 Like

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Okuda(m): 3:08pm On Aug 19, 2017
SageTravels:
This is really bad. an airport as big as Lagos airport should have CCTV surveillance camera.

an airport as big as lagos international airport should have a bag scanner.

2 Likes

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by omasa: 3:08pm On Aug 19, 2017
The secret to not giving them a dime is to go early.at least 2hrs before your flight.be the first to be checked.they won't have time for you.no matter how they want to delay you.you know you can play smart and you still won't miss your flight

11 Likes

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 3:09pm On Aug 19, 2017
Why are Nigerians just talking about this issue here. Please, forward it to a media outlet. Yesterday, it was the corruption in Nigeria passport office at Alausa that was revealed on premium times. Buhari's led govt should spread their tentacles of anti-corruption to Airports, Immigration offices, Seaport and other govt organisations

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Kobicove(m): 3:09pm On Aug 19, 2017
There's always a plethora of idle people at the Muritala Mohammed International Airport...it's so embarrassing

2 Likes

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by SmartMugu: 3:09pm On Aug 19, 2017
erico2k2:

Unu B thief 4 dat unu airport. grin grin grin
PS I just spoke to my guy in the Big Apple he said that I got the trolley free cos a person could not B bothered to take it back .and that it's even $5 at JFK now.
Abeg who dey there nah true ? ??
Sometimes you can get the trolleys from someone that is just about to return one or if you see one laying around. But for you to get it off the line, it's costs I think around $5. The carts at the Hartsfield airport in Atlanta (which is the closest to me) is operated by SmarteCart.
You can read up on it here https://www.google.com/amp/s/millionmilesecrets.com/2014/07/16/cheap-luggage-cart-airport/amp/
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by kibi(f): 3:09pm On Aug 19, 2017
MM International Airport, Lagos is the worse Airport I have come across. I remember as a first time traveler a couple of years back those stupid Immigration Officers extorted some cash off me. Subsequently, I always find the airport too congested in terms of human and vehicular traffic. In fact, the airport is like a jungle with all kinds of miscreants in and around. I had to relocate to another airport where I am treated like a human being. The federal government should install CCTV cameras in all our airports local or international in order to help check cases of extortion and others.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 3:10pm On Aug 19, 2017
How do we report them?
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by abbeyty(m): 3:10pm On Aug 19, 2017
tellwisdom:

U say wetin?? If i pay for trolleys abroad, then i see no reason arguing with her. I hope u no dey mistake ur local trip for international?? sad

Ok
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nuel25846(m): 3:11pm On Aug 19, 2017
If they release a statistic saying they are corrupt now....they will denial......
But when will I start travelling like you guys??

1 Like

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by erico2k2(m): 3:13pm On Aug 19, 2017
SmartMugu:

Sometimes you can get the trolleys from someone that is just about to return one or if you see one laying around. But for you to get it off the line, it's costs I think around $5. The carts at the Hartsfield airport in Atlanta (which is the closest to me) is operated by SmarteCart.
You can read up on it here https://www.google.com/amp/s/millionmilesecrets.com/2014/07/16/cheap-luggage-cart-airport/amp/
Yeh I was just told that. I probably got that one in jfk left by a person who can't B bothered to rtn it.dem B thief for that Airport . Heathrow the trolleys are waiting just by where the picadilly lines stops .

1 Like

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by erico2k2(m): 3:14pm On Aug 19, 2017
Okuda:

an airport as big as lagos international airport should have a bag scanner.
They do but don't use it for obvious reason's. The one at PHC works and it's used .

3 Likes

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by lonelydora: 3:16pm On Aug 19, 2017
Benoxvals:
It's really embarrassing...they have no shame at all and they don't even care who is watching.
One European man told me that entering Nigeria only requires sliding $50 in between the international passport.

But it's through nah!
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Leez(m): 3:17pm On Aug 19, 2017
SageTravels:
This is really bad. an airport as big as Lagos airport should have CCTV surveillance camera.
bro its evrywia
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by jeffdaniel(m): 3:18pm On Aug 19, 2017
ifyalways:

I'm yet to see an international airport where trolleys are free.

@Topic, welcome to Nigeria!

That means you've not really traveled

3 Likes

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 3:18pm On Aug 19, 2017
ifyalways:

I'm yet to see an international airport where trolleys are free.

@Topic, welcome to Nigeria!

I thought that you lived in Northern Ireland,anyway most of the airports that I've been to has free trolleys,only in America and Nigeria I've been made to pay for trolley.

I was at MM sometime ago after I've pass through all checks,na so one stupid man just came to me claiming to work with nacotics and practically demanded for my passport,I then asked him of what right does he has to want my passport? I shouted at him and we both started shouting at each other as people began to gather your man disappeared,then I realised he was only a chancer.

I've seen the immigrations taking bribes from some group of polish and Indian workers at the airport and I've given two officers 20 euro each before but it was out of my free will though.

The airport is riddled with corruption.

5 Likes

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Exciton(m): 3:19pm On Aug 19, 2017
majekdom2:
exactly, I was forced to think poverty is the reason but truly it is not. There are poor people with integrity. I don't know how this mindset started seriously. We have a serious social problem.

It isn't about poverty. It's about human behavior dominated by greed in the absence of laws [or its enforcement] necessary to keep a group of people civil. People are naturally greedy. It's a hardwired evolutionary trait, among many others, we all have for survival. But when it comes to groups, such traits harm cooperation. It's why societies need laws and systems in place to minimize such for a more coherent group and to increase the group's chance of survival.

People in developed countries aren't better than us, it's not intrinsic. It's the same thing you see in post-apocalyptic movies -- with crumbled civilization or societies with no/failed governments. High crime rates, poverty, inequality, injustice etc... exactly like us! It's just a failure of the government.

All that you see at MMA are symptoms of a failed system that we run in Nigeria.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Sermwell(m): 3:19pm On Aug 19, 2017
uvie66:
You're talking nonsense, I recently went through the airport with no hiccups, all the officers were courteous and professional.
Shut up! You are either one of them, or you have never been to the airport! grin

11 Likes

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Tobisky23(m): 3:20pm On Aug 19, 2017
My experience at heartrow , trolley use is free,I used one without paying a dime.
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Jaqenhghar: 3:22pm On Aug 19, 2017
majekdom2:
exactly, I was forced to think poverty is the reason but truly it is not. There are poor people with integrity. I don't know how this mindset started seriously. We have a serious social problem.
My brother its not poverty. I tell people. I go to Niger republic which is a poorer country than Nigeria. The hunger is worse.. there was a year Nigeria donated food to them but they dont behave like Nigerians. Last time I was there was for a wedding see the orderly way they went about collecting food and also helping each other along the way. You dont see such in a Nigerian wedding

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Ugosample(m): 3:23pm On Aug 19, 2017
That is the Shame Nigeria has become
@Pidgin2 what do you have to say about this shame?
My experience as a first time travelled through MMIA years back was shameful
When will our country men stop this shame of begging and exhorting?
undecided

2 Likes

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Jaqenhghar: 3:23pm On Aug 19, 2017
Sermwell:

Shut up! You are either one of them, or you have never been to the airport! grin
He has never been to one definitely
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Ogbajie(m): 3:26pm On Aug 19, 2017
Exciton:

It isn't about poverty. It's about human behavior dominated by greed in the absence of laws [or its enforcement] necessary to keep a group of people civil. People are naturally greedy. It's a hardwired evolutionary trait, among many others, we all have for survival. But when it comes to groups, such traits harm cooperation. It's why societies need laws and systems in place to minimize such for a more coherent group and to increase the group's chance of survival.

People in developed countries aren't better than us, it's not intrinsic. It's the same thing you see in post-apocalyptic movies -- with crumbled civilization or societies with no/failed governments. High crime rates, poverty, inequality, injustice etc... exactly like us! It's just a failure of the government.

All that you see at MMA are symptoms of a failed system that we run in Nigeria.

you couldn't have said it better. It's about a failed system as you rightly said.
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Jaqenhghar: 3:26pm On Aug 19, 2017
sammade:
we are talking about the bribes they take at the international airport you are talking about trolley!!! what is wrong with you? The discussion here should be how does Mr Amaechi and President buhari fix this international embarrasment. pass a message on till it gets to the Top
How can Amaechi and Buhari fix something that has become a way of life.
When a man is greedy he is called ambitious.
When he cheats they call him smart
Go and become a local govt chairman, stay for one tenure and dont steal... you know what people will say about you when you step down

1 Like

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Miketomi: 3:27pm On Aug 19, 2017
This is probably one of the most reasonable front page posts of recent. Nigerians need to cry against this national embarrassment until the government attends to it.

The way they beg is embarrassing and also security threat to the nation. Everybody is chairman or given some other extravagant title right at the airport just to lubricate their begging acts. Give them $50 and you can come in or travel out with anything.

My simple response to them is this " I am so sorry ma/sir, as a matter of personal principle, I don't give money to beggars", can I move please?

On paying for trolley, enough response already.

4 Likes

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Ugosample(m): 3:30pm On Aug 19, 2017
Jaqenhghar:

My brother its not poverty. I tell people. I go to Niger republic which is a poorer country than Nigeria. The hunger is worse.. there was a year Nigeria donated food to them but they dont behave like Nigerians. Last time I was there was for a wedding see the orderly way they went about collecting food and also helping each other along the way. You dont see such in a Nigerian wedding

You too have been to Niger?

In my experience there, I got to see what the problem with Nigeria is, especially those of us from the South.

We lack contentment as a people, and are too materialistic and greedy.

In Niamey, Ouaga and even Abomey Calavi that I have spent considerable time in, we are far better of than most of the population, but they are contented.

I saw real happiness, I saw happy children wearing worn out clothes playing with happiness, especially in Abomey, but they help each other, content, and happy

But in my country, we want to have all, a child in Lagos will feel wretched if his father does not buy him the latest gadgets, and a young man will be feeling inadequate because he has not yet bought a car worth millions like some of his mates have and the list is endless.

So what do you expect in such a society?

Stealing, Extortion, Begging, desperation and get rich quick or die trying mentality

That's what we suffer, and the mess at MMIA shows all that

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Chapecoense(m): 3:30pm On Aug 19, 2017
CanadianNurse:
Heathrow, JFK, the list goes on and on !
Trolley is not free at JFK..

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

8 Cows Killed In Taraba As Speeding Driver Collides With Them (Photos) / International Students Now Allowed To Stay In UK For 2 Years After Study- Uk Pm / Abuja Vs Lagos: Which Is More Advisable For Relocation?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.