Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,886 members, 7,814,002 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:03 AM

Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport (41076 Views)

An Overview Of The 10 Lane Oshodi-Murtala Muhammed International Airport - Pics / Atedo Peterside's Anap Jet Robbed At Murtala Muhammed International Airport / Rats Hanging From The Ceiling At Murtala Muhammed Airport Lagos (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 3:31pm On Aug 19, 2017
Exciton:

It isn't about poverty. It's about human behavior dominated by greed in the absence of laws [or its enforcement] necessary to keep a group of people civil. People are naturally greedy. It's a hardwired evolutionary trait, among many others, we all have for survival. But when it comes to groups, such traits harm cooperation. It's why societies need laws and systems in place to minimize such for a more coherent group and to increase the group's chance of survival.

People in developed countries aren't better than us, it's not intrinsic. It's the same thing you see in post-apocalyptic movies -- with crumbled civilization or societies with no/failed governments. High crime rates, poverty, inequality, injustice etc... exactly like us! It's just a failure of the government.

All that you see at MMA are symptoms of a failed system that we run in Nigeria.
True brother. I used to blame the people at the lower end of government for being corrupt until I had encountered failure in an organisation. The Nigerian case is non different brother. When the management are not ready to get things right, the system is always unsustainable. No matter how the people try to be right with integrity, the government will always frustrate some into this corruption. I am not saying people should not try to live right. But like you said, the government has a lot to do with this and they are the ones that need to get it right first!

3 Likes

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by omohayek: 3:33pm On Aug 19, 2017
StOla:
That is my grouse with the anti-corruption fight.

While focussing on the big wigs who have stashed dollars in septic tanks or abandoned houses in ghettos, or sold off government assets to their cronies, we should never forget the corruption perpetrated by the steadfastly unrepentant civil servants in the MDAs.

Anyone with the contact details of the ministry of Aviation, Information or EFCC? I mean email address or like a contact phone number?

We need to stop complaining alone, but reach out to those who should take action.

Lai Mohammed has failed terribly in his role of national re-orientation that should articulate the Buhari regime's drive to fight corruption.

Posters should be conspicuously located at the airports to campaign against any form of extortion by airport personnel.
Or how about this for a radical alternative? They can concession the damned airports to foreign investors who have solid track records in managing such facilities, giving them total operational freedom to hire and fire as they please. Any first-rate operator (e.g. the ones running London's Gatwick and Stansted) would quickly rid itself of all the money-grubbing trash in uniforms who serve no purpose other than making travelers' lives difficult with their brazen demands for cash.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by bluetopaz: 3:34pm On Aug 19, 2017
kibi:
MM International Airport, Lagos is the worse Airport I have come across. I remember as a first time traveler a couple of years back those stupid Immigration Officers extorted some cash off me. Subsequently, I always find the airport too congested in terms of human and vehicular traffic. In fact, the airport is like a jungle with all kinds of miscreants in and around. I had to relocate to another airport where I am treated like a human being. The federal government should install CCTV cameras in all our airports local or international in order to help check cases of extortion and others.
q

You are so right kibi, please check your inbox for my PM
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by emwye(m): 3:37pm On Aug 19, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Los Angeles and Houston, at least.

Which airport in Houston?
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by rusher14: 3:37pm On Aug 19, 2017
ifyalways:

I'm yet to see an international airport where trolleys are free.

@Topic, welcome to Nigeria!

Heathrow.

Schipol.

Frankfurt.

2 Likes

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Eluwilussit(m): 3:39pm On Aug 19, 2017
ifyalways:

In Toronto, Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Halifax,etc, all in Canada, it is free. Think about it...do you expect that thousands of travellers will all have cash for trolleys?

Just mention a single thing Nigerians enjoy from their government. Education =0, Security =0, Healthcare =0, Roads=0,Food =0, Electricity =0, Good water=0, Everything =0. Tell me, when are Nigerians going to benefit from government?

Are you not tired of defending the wickedness of the Nigerian state? cry cry cry cry cry

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by jnfoage: 3:40pm On Aug 19, 2017
ifyalways:

You say what?

I have never paid for trolleys anywhere apart from Nigeria.
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by erico2k2(m): 3:40pm On Aug 19, 2017
NubiLove:
How do we report them?
Video and post on face book and twitter

2 Likes

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by cyborg123(m): 3:42pm On Aug 19, 2017
Exciton:

It isn't about poverty. It's about human behavior dominated by greed in the absence of laws [or its enforcement] necessary to keep a group of people civil. People are naturally greedy. It's a hardwired evolutionary trait, among many others, we all have for survival. But when it comes to groups, such traits harm cooperation. It's why societies need laws and systems in place to minimize such for a more coherent group and to increase the group's chance of survival.

People in developed countries aren't better than us, it's not intrinsic. It's the same thing you see in post-apocalyptic movies -- with crumbled civilization or societies with no/failed governments. High crime rates, poverty, inequality, injustice etc... exactly like us! It's just a failure of the government.

All that you see at MMA are symptoms of a failed system that we run in Nigeria.
Apt!
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by DisGuy: 3:43pm On Aug 19, 2017
I thought this all stopped or reduce after the new directive by Prof Y Osinbanjo no?

1 Like

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by erico2k2(m): 3:43pm On Aug 19, 2017
omasa:
The secret to not giving them a dime is to go early.at least 2hrs before your flight.be the first to be checked.they won't have time for you.no matter how they want to delay you.you know you can play smart and you still won't miss your flight
This is true very good stratagy

5 Likes

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by jaymdee(m): 3:44pm On Aug 19, 2017
ifyalways:

Well it's only in Nigeria you pay for trolleys..i think. What airports did you pay for trolley outside Nigeria?
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Daeylar(f): 3:45pm On Aug 19, 2017
banmee:

Nigerians did and are still doing it to themselves.
Nigeria is a country where it's people play s.tupid games in order to win s.tupid prizes. And they have won the biggest prize of all: The benefits of corruption.

True,

1 Like

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Richy4(m): 3:45pm On Aug 19, 2017
ifyalways:

I have always paid for trolley in US o. Only @ Heathrow do I get free Trolleys

All Australian Airports, both domestic and international, their trolleys are free..Maybe u can tell us the airports that passengers pay for their trolleys
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by IYIMAN: 3:47pm On Aug 19, 2017
Beowulf:

I think it depends on the airport. It's free at Houphet Boigny, Oliver Tambo and Heathrow as well as in Chicago but not free in Boston and Philadelphia if you are arriving. In fact, at both airports it's $5 per trolley!

I did not pay for trolley on arrival in Philadelphia, same in Louis Armstrong in New Orleans.
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Ugosample(m): 3:47pm On Aug 19, 2017
Eluwilussit:

In Toronto, Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Halifax,etc, all in Canada, it is free. Think about it...do you expect that thousands of travellers will all have cash for trolleys?

Just mention a single thing Nigerians enjoy from their government. Education =0, Security =0, Healthcare =0, Roads=0,Food =0, Electricity =0, Good water=0, Everything =0. Tell me, when are Nigerians going to benefit from government?

Are you not tired of defending the wickedness of the Nigerian state? cry cry cry cry cry

Abi na
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Jaqenhghar: 3:52pm On Aug 19, 2017
Ugosample:

You too have been to Niger?

In my experience there, I got to see what the problem with Nigeria is, especially those of us from the South.

We lack contentment as a people, and are too materialistic and greedy.

In Niamey, Ouaga and even Abomey Calavi that I have spent considerable time in, we are far better of than most of the population, but they are contented.

I saw real happiness, I saw happy children wearing worn out clothes playing with happiness, especially in Abomey, but they help each other, content, and happy

But in my country, we want to have all, a child in Lagos will feel wretched if his father does not buy him the latest gadgets, and a young man will be feeling inadequate because he has not yet bought a car worth millions like some of his mates have and the list is endless.

So what do you expect in such a society?

Stealing, Extortion, Begging, desperation and get rich quick or die trying mentality

That's what we suffer, and the mess at MMIA shows all that
Well said brother. Yes Ive been to Niger a few times and thats the beauty of the place... you get treated like a human being. Here you have to have money before people show you any respect. Messenger wants to be a millionaire and os not ready to work for it, and No, its not just a southern thing its all over the country

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Ugosample(m): 3:52pm On Aug 19, 2017
Eluwilussit:

Asin
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by romenna: 3:53pm On Aug 19, 2017
uvie66:
You're talking nonsense, I recently went through the airport with no hiccups, all the officers were courteous and professional.
u my friend is the nonsense talker here.

4 Likes

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by ELKHALIFAISIS(m): 3:53pm On Aug 19, 2017
guttentag:
Government should look into this, i remember when travelling to SA for the first time with a Virgin passport, i had to pay 10k to the immigration officer who almost delayed my flight

Nigeria who do una this one
you part with 10k bcux u were not clean, allow him delay ur flight, just go to your church and thank ur God, look for a competent criminal lawyer , promise him 60/40 , sue MMA building , sue the immigration officer, sue the airport management, sue minister of transportation , sue IG of police, sue RSA embassy, sue the pilots for not waiting for you , sue all the passengers in the flight, sue Jacob Zuma, sue Ambode sue buhari and also sue yourself

4 Likes

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Eluwilussit(m): 3:54pm On Aug 19, 2017
Ugosample:

Asin

As in they are free. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Ugosample(m): 3:55pm On Aug 19, 2017
Jaqenhghar:

Well said brother. Yes Ive been to Niger a few times and thats the beauty of the place... you get treated like a human being. Here you have to have money before people show you any respect. Messenger wants to be a millionaire and os not ready to work for it, and No, its not just a southern thing its all over the country

It's very bad

Why must respect be tied to how much you are worth?
Shame undecided

By the way tho, are you an African back packer like me?

3 Likes

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Ugosample(m): 3:57pm On Aug 19, 2017
Eluwilussit:

As in they are free. grin grin grin grin grin
That "asin" meant I concurred with all you said.
grin grin
Quite unfortunate

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by pretty16(f): 3:57pm On Aug 19, 2017
muller101:
They searched me last week and accused me of having 3 balls. On my manhood. grin

cheesy grin cheesy. LMAO. For real?
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Ugosample(m): 3:57pm On Aug 19, 2017
ELKHALIFAISIS:
you part with 10k bcux u were not clean, allow him delay ur flight, just go to the church and thank ur God, look for competent criminal lawyer , promise him 60/40 , sue MMA, sue the immigration officer, sue the airport management, sue RSA embassy, sue the pilots for not waiting for you , sue all the passengers in the flight, sue Jacob Zuma, sue Ambode sue buhari and also sue yourself

LMAO

You be rugged fellow

1 Like

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by romenna: 3:59pm On Aug 19, 2017
Tobisky23:
My experience at heartrow , trolley use is free,I used one without paying a dime.
what is the correlation between your comment and the topic of discuss?
u nor get sense?

2 Likes

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Eluwilussit(m): 3:59pm On Aug 19, 2017
Ugosample:

That "asin" meant I concurred with all you said.

grin grin

Quite unfortunate

I got you. Our people don suffer too much. cry cry cry
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 4:01pm On Aug 19, 2017
Enough with the trolleys talk. Focus on the issue at hand

5 Likes

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by romenna: 4:04pm On Aug 19, 2017
ELKHALIFAISIS:
you part with 10k bcux u were not clean, allow him delay ur flight, just go to your church and thank ur God, look for a competent criminal lawyer , promise him 60/40 , sue MMA building , sue the immigration officer, sue the airport management, sue minister of transportation , sue IG of police, sue RSA embassy, sue the pilots for not waiting for you , sue all the passengers in the flight, sue Jacob Zuma, sue Ambode sue buhari and also sue yourself
EWU
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Jaqenhghar: 4:04pm On Aug 19, 2017
majekdom2:
True brother. I used to blame the people at the lower end of government for being corrupt until I had encountered failure in an organisation. The Nigerian case is non different brother. When the management are not ready to get things right, the system is always unsustainable. No matter how the people try to be right with integrity, the government will always frustrate some into this corruption. I am not saying people should not try to live right. But like you said, the government has a lot to do with this and they are the ones that need to get it right first!
excuse me but who is the government?
Sometimes we talk as of the government are from Mars who forced themselves on people.
The government is made up of Nigerins. everday you and me who think its right to steal who call stealing sharpness and 419being smart. Now a man who is raised in a society that believes that stealing is being smart , do you think his mentality will change because he has been elected to be a council chairman or a police officer?
In fact I have seen people who served as public officials and did not steal. While other government officials praise them for their honesty, sadly I see the grassroot people insult them and call them fools for not stealing public funds

6 Likes

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Exciton(m): 4:04pm On Aug 19, 2017
Ogbajie:

you couldn't have said it better. It's about a failed system as you rightly said.

People underestimate the power of systems. We define systems, consciously or not. But systems dictate human behavior, methods of production or creation of wealth, education level, culture, and ultimately, the success or failure of the group.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by gare(f): 4:05pm On Aug 19, 2017
Lucasbalo:
Trolleys are free at Ohare and Midway Airports in chicago on arrival. Departing Ohare, you have to pay for the trolleys.

At Osubi airport you can even take it home and bring it back the next day ����

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Mother In Tears As Speeding Vehicle Crushes Her Child To Death. Graphic Photos / 8 Cows Killed In Taraba As Speeding Driver Collides With Them (Photos) / Abuja Vs Lagos: Which Is More Advisable For Relocation?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.