Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,170 members, 7,815,093 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:09 AM

Advise Please: SHE HAS CHARACTER BUT CAN'T SPEAK FLUENTLY - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Advise Please: SHE HAS CHARACTER BUT CAN'T SPEAK FLUENTLY (3553 Views)

I Can't Speak My Native Language. Is It A Crime? / I Need Your Candid Advise Please / I Can't Speak My Language And I Feel Ashamed Of Myself. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advise Please: SHE HAS CHARACTER BUT CAN'T SPEAK FLUENTLY by trem321: 10:25am On Apr 21, 2017
dingbang:
it depends on you.. As for me , it won't take me a second to come to a conclusion.. But be that as it may, I think you should just carry on with the marriage preparations.., Jonathan had a reason for marrying Patience, you know.. So sometimes its not just about what people will say.. Yes your friends will laugh behind you saying ur woman ain't good with English buh you are happy that she doesn't give you sleepless nights.. So if you ask me, I think you should just put all that behind and continue the love you both have established.
YES, you made a point there again when you talked about ...sleepless night, that is the only driving force behind my hanging on but my greatest fear is won't i disdain her tomorrow especially as i hit my financial goal and feel that she's not my class? i am being this careful cos i know i cannot commit immorality, thats why i am troubled cos i do not want to enter into a lifetime of prison, loving other ladies more than my wife ...
Re: Advise Please: SHE HAS CHARACTER BUT CAN'T SPEAK FLUENTLY by trem321: 10:30am On Apr 21, 2017
thorpido:
So you've been in this relationship long enough,made her,her family and your church realise you want to marry her and you are still asking this kind of question?

Marry her and do everything you can to brush her up.

Peace in marriage is very important.You will understand later.
MY BROTHER, that is the problem, as i am talking to you now, we are about to start the formal church courtship this sunday, to be supervised by the church, this is why i had to come this far to nairaland and all i have heard from all the posts i read corresponds with what my good friends and family members have told me
Re: Advise Please: SHE HAS CHARACTER BUT CAN'T SPEAK FLUENTLY by trem321: 10:38am On Apr 21, 2017
sekundosekundo:

Seems you prefer a lady that has good command of English without good character abi?. The truth is that you can't find a perfect person in marriage even you, are not perfect. Don't be deceived, the lady is not from England so English language was forced on all of us by British colony pls take note of this. Mr man, if the lady has the quality of one who will respect and love you unconditionally, pls go ahead with her. May be I should share my experience with my wife when I first met her.
YOUR POINTS ARE CLASSICAL, VERY ENCOURAGING, something deep within me tells me that i wl definitely marry her, its just that sometimes along the line, you will see me beginning to get cold hearted towards her again and that feeling will torment me for some time and all through that period, our relationship wl turn sour until that feeling dies, and on and on and on, we have experienced a lot of ups and downs in the whole stuff, some assert that i'll love her later....
Re: Advise Please: SHE HAS CHARACTER BUT CAN'T SPEAK FLUENTLY by sekundosekundo: 11:37am On Apr 21, 2017
trem321:
YOUR POINTS ARE CLASSICAL, VERY ENCOURAGING, something deep within me tells me that i wl definitely marry her, its just that sometimes along the line, you will see me beginning to get cold hearted towards her again and that feeling will torment me for some time and all through that period, our relationship wl turn sour until that feeling dies, and on and on and on, we have experienced a lot of ups and downs in the whole stuff, some assert that i'll love her later....

I found Myself in this type of situation years back. I hate huge ladies but my wife to be is huge, o boy! so many things came to my mind, I was wondering how she will look like after given births. Her characters are superb but her hugeness pisses me off. One mind was telling me to dump her and I have every reason to do so more especially I am yet to make love to her so if I dump her she won't cry me a river. But there's this strong urge in me to continue with her irrespective of her hugeness. To cut the whole story short, today she is my wife and her shape intoxicates me now. Hmmm, good things sometimes comes in disguise form.
Re: Advise Please: SHE HAS CHARACTER BUT CAN'T SPEAK FLUENTLY by trem321: 11:42am On Apr 21, 2017
sekundosekundo:

I found Myself in this type of situation years back. I hate huge ladies but my wife to be is huge, o boy! so many things came to my mind, I was wondering how she will look like after given births. Her characters are superb but her hugeness pisses me off. One mind was telling me to dump her and I have every reason to do so more especially I am yet to make love to her so if I dump her she won't cry me a river. But there's this strong urge in me to continue with her irrespective of her hugeness. To cut the whole story short, today she is my wife and her shape intoxicates me now. Hmmm, good things sometimes comes in disguise form.
OKAY, THAT'S NICE
Re: Advise Please: SHE HAS CHARACTER BUT CAN'T SPEAK FLUENTLY by MissOpe(f): 11:46am On Apr 21, 2017
Contained in it includes Recipes and procedures on how to make the following dishes

A) Moin Moin
B) Boiled Yam with Garden Egg, Shrimps, Eggs and smoked fish
C) Jollof rice
D) Edikai Ikong with pounded yam
E) Amala, Gbegiri, Ewedu and stew.
F) Efo Riro
G) Ofe onugbu and Eba
H) Asun (Goat meat and barbecue)
I) Nkwobi with cow leg.
J) Mixed okra soup
K) ISi ewu
L) Banga soup
M) Okra and melon soup
N) Ogbono soup
O) Oha soup served with Fifi.
P) unripe/green banana porridge
Q) Coconut rice with grilled chicken
R) Yam porridge.
S) Ofada rice with sauce.
T) Cat fish pepper soup..

To get a copy of this for #200, call or chat me via watsapp on 07066800606

Re: Advise Please: SHE HAS CHARACTER BUT CAN'T SPEAK FLUENTLY by simiolu1(m): 12:53pm On Apr 21, 2017
I'm gonna tell you a story.

My brother has a friend; they graduated from the university together. Dude went to a conc pako public primary school where the mode of communication was Yoruba. After Secondary School, dude went to learn how to be a vulcanizer. When he was almost through with his training, he approached an uncle to help him with money for accommodation. His intentions were simple; after graduation, settle down.

Uncle encouraged him to go to computer school instead of renting a house; he agreed. Then later, uncle encouraged him to get a jamb form. Dude was like "ki lo n shey boda yii now" (what is wrong with this brother) but reluctantly agreed. This same person graduated as the second best student in his class, is now a graduate assistant in the school (a federal govt university) and currently enrolled in a MSc. program. My brother once told me he went to his hostel room very early one day while they were undergraduates and found him reading "Queen Primer" and "Brighter Grammar".

Now, dude is so fresh and packaged with impeccable english too.

My point: anyone with a desire to learn should not be written off. No one brought "good english" from heaven. It's a skill we all acquired here on earth. If that's the only place she is wanting; it can be corrected.

My 2 cents

4 Likes

Re: Advise Please: SHE HAS CHARACTER BUT CAN'T SPEAK FLUENTLY by Lionessza(f): 1:12pm On Apr 21, 2017
trem321:
pls i need your pieces of advise, especially from experienced persons and if possible with examples, thanks. this is my problem:i am having a double mind about the lady i want to marry, she is not ugly but not too beautiful or at least not as beautiful as i desired, her character is okay by me but she cannot speak fluently, she speaks hardly for ten minutes without making one or two mistakes, the bad thing about it is that if you ask her to correct herself, she cannot, because it wasn't a slip of tongue, it was as a result of her incapacitation or incompetency. now my spirit accepts her but my ego(pride) doesn't accept her and i am seriously confused. pls your ADVISE

Don't not marry her , she deserves better and so do you. You sound like you are settling for her and no woman or man wants to feel like you did them a favor by marrying them. And you don't want to be married to this lady but you want to be married (big difference here). By the way more than love and passion relationships survive thanks to both parties being fully committed and devoted to each other, now how will you commit to someone you feel is less than you deserve? Won't you be making her feel insecure and competing with a ghost ? Don't be selfish and cowardly hurt her now if you must than waiting five years and two kids later to come to the realization that you actually appreciate someone else not her. I think one should only marry someone they have accepted fully , their good and their bad , if you cant accept her don't marry her and with all the questions you asked i doubt you will ever accept her , you will always wonder in dissatisfaction which is unfair to both. Just because she is nice and wife like doesn't mean she is your wife.dont take what doesn't belong to you only to destroy it.

My two cents.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advise Please: SHE HAS CHARACTER BUT CAN'T SPEAK FLUENTLY by trem321: 2:58pm On Apr 21, 2017
@lionessza you just added salt to injury, i'm almost drawing my conclusion to move on, only for you to come up with this salient point which i had discussed over and over with my friends, yes, i even said it here that when i finally hit my financial goal, i may no longer celebrate her as envisaged and like you rightly said, it wl affect both of us, in that i am no longer excited about her and she too feels depressed for not being adorned by her husband, infact, you just scratched a wound, so pls more light on this, beloved sekundo come say something, hmmm, when one comes close to the age of marrying, you will know that its not easy especially for some of us who have poor inclination vis a vis relationship with the opposite sex
Re: Advise Please: SHE HAS CHARACTER BUT CAN'T SPEAK FLUENTLY by Lionessza(f): 3:59pm On Apr 21, 2017
trem321:
@lionessza you just added salt to injury, i'm almost drawing my conclusion to move on, only for you to come up with this salient point which i had discussed over and over with my friends, yes, i even said it here that when i finally hit my financial goal, i may no longer celebrate her as envisaged and like you rightly said, it wl affect both of us, in that i am no longer excited about her and she too feels depressed for not being adorned by her husband, infact, you just scratched a wound, so pls more light on this, beloved sekundo come say something, hmmm, when one comes close to the age of marrying, you will know that its not easy especially for some of us who have poor inclination vis a vis relationship with the opposite sex

I like the fact that you are saying it yourself that when you finally reach your financial goals , you "might" not want her ( yes not in so many words) but you said it. So basically she is good enough to have now that things aren't that rosy but when they are , another woman " might replace her" again not in so many words but sure sounds like it. My advice to you was not to waste this girl's time knowing very well you don't value her that much, she will be heartbroken yes but the truth is always better atleast she will pick herself up and look for a guy who will see all he wants from her and accept the negatives fully. Am not attacking you , am simple saying by settling you are also harming yourself in the process, sooner or later the truth always comes out Sir.

1 Like

Re: Advise Please: SHE HAS CHARACTER BUT CAN'T SPEAK FLUENTLY by PresVA: 4:12pm On Apr 21, 2017
trem321:
You have talked so much about when you become rich... can't you brush her up then? or she isn't teachable? I really don't understand.. or better still, wait, get rich, then marry your choice of girl

meanyl, you're marrying her because she's a humble lady that's willing to settle with you despite your financial position? You have stated severally how you may lose interest when you become more financially stable, how you'll desire a more 'classy' chic..
you're one of the reasons many ladies wouldn't want to struggle with a guy.. I don't blame those that want already made...

I wish you the best. .

1 Like

Re: Advise Please: SHE HAS CHARACTER BUT CAN'T SPEAK FLUENTLY by trem321: 4:33pm On Apr 21, 2017
PresVA:
You have talked so much about when you become rich... can't you brush her up then? or she isn't teachable? I really don't understand.. or better still, wait, get rich, then marry your choice of girl

meanyl, you're marrying her because she's a humble lady that's willing to settle with you despite your financial position? You have stated severally how you may lose interest when you become more financially stable, how you'll desire a more 'classy' chic..
you're one of the reasons many ladies wouldn't want to struggle with a guy.. I don't blame those that want already made...

I wish you the best. .
speaking in igbo: nna ihe eshiele ikee ooo, ka ana eje na ubi ka oka na kaa

1 Like

Re: Advise Please: SHE HAS CHARACTER BUT CAN'T SPEAK FLUENTLY by trem321: 4:41pm On Apr 21, 2017
Lionessza:

I like the fact that you are saying it yourself that when you finally reach your financial goals , you "might" not want her ( yes not in so many words) but you said it. So basically she is good enough to have now that things aren't that rosy but when they are , another woman " might replace her" again not in so many words but sure sounds like it. My advice to you was not to waste this girl's time knowing very well you don't value her that much, she will be heartbroken yes but the truth is always better atleast she will pick herself up and look for a guy who will see all he wants from her and accept the negatives fully. Am not attacking you , am simple saying by settling you are also harming yourself in the process, sooner or later the truth always comes out Sir.
EXCELLENT, i have tried to tell her this, but she is optimistic that all wl end well later in our married life, the lady had just refused to walk away despite all my efforts to induce her...
Re: Advise Please: SHE HAS CHARACTER BUT CAN'T SPEAK FLUENTLY by toksbisola: 4:45pm On Apr 21, 2017
@OP; what I’m going to say might come out a bit harsh but permit me as no offence and hope none taken.

Young man, quit being a PRIMA DONNA. You really need to work on the way you describe other people especially if they are not up to your standard. If the irritation is along the lines of how they look physically of which they have no control over; learn to accept them the way they are and not try to bring them down. As you’re seeking a pretty woman, I hope you’re handsome yourself (No offence hope none taken) as being good-looking seems to be something you emphasize on; may be/may be not.

To love someone is a beautiful thing; and when one is seeking a partner, there are certain factors you need to consider before taking the “I DO” step. The factors are; Love, Compatibility, Respect and Friendship.

The few questions mentioned below, can you in your heart answer yes to all regarding the current lady;

Is she caring?
Is she decent?
Is she hardworking?
Is she supportive?
Does she love you?

From my observation, it takes a man only few weeks/months and not few years to know if the lady he is currently with WOULD END UP BEING HIS WIFE. You know both good and bad traits that your GF has; but from the look of things, you just can’t look beyond the bad traits. What I can’t understand is why you even started anything with her in the first place and going ahead to date her for a while; when you knew from day one that she is neither pretty nor literate enough; I just can’t bring myself to understand it.

That said, now permit me to ask you this question, how would you feel if someone constantly criticizes you in an area where you have no control over e.g your looks/stature? I’m sure you’ll not feel happy about it. Now put yourself in the shoes of this current lady and deliberate. Due to your constant criticism at your GF, you’ve made her feel inferior to you especially in the area of your literacy and polished way of going about your stuff; Oh please (rolls eyes) give her a break and quit shocking her. You’re also rubbing salt into her wound by constantly referring to her not being literate nor pretty enough, oh pfffftttt.

You are already showing that you may not celebrate her when you eventually become more better-off financial; this is already showing that you may cheat on her later on if you eventually marry her; it’s not rocket science; (you ain’t even married yet and you’re saying you might not cherish her enough when your financial level changes) that alone is a RED HERRING and when the opportunity presents itself, you probably might not have the self-control to resist. BEST BELIEVE, TEMPTATIONS WOULD ARISE.

You talk as if you are Mr 100% perfect and have no flaws. Listen up dude, I'm sure your GF is putting up with your fault/flaws without blowing your trumpet as loud as you’re blowing hers. If your GF were to make a list of your short-comings, it’ll be as long as my arm but yet, she manages yours and probably don’t complain so much as you’re whining about hers. I can just imagine the agony and pains your GF’s going through just to please you as you constantly barrage and correct her over frivolity.

Even if you send her to a school that can help to polish her literacy; my question to you is what happens if she’s still not polished enough for you and able to articulately speak the QUEENS’ ENGLISH AS YOU WANT? Would that not irritate you and even compound the situation even more? Best believe, she can be sent to school but still not be polished enough for you and THAT’LL REMAIN A PROBLEM. You need to be aware that the imperfections that a spouse has are what make them unique.

Note these 2 points;

1) Never marry anyone out of pity simply because you have been with them for a long time and you don’t want them to lose out.

2) Marry for true love so that when the challenges start occurring in the marital bond (and best believe challenges would arise) the love both of you have built up would be able to withstand the ups and downs that would occur; take note that MARRIAGE IS NOT A BED OF ROSES.

We all have preference’ as to what we want in a partner; but laying so much emphasis on things that you can't change can be a dangerous game. Besides, you’re entitled to marry a pretty lady IF THAT’S WHAT YOU WANT AND WOULD MAKE YOU HAPPY. Always look at the potential for the future in a woman when seeking for a mate and not just her looks. Note that you can marry a pretty/ugly woman who’ll deal with you mercilessly and disrespect you on every occasion and not give you the peace you require. On the other hand you can also marry a pretty/ugly woman that would give you peace and love you dearly; you just never know.

It would be in your best interest to TO AVOID PROLONGING THIS MATTER ANY LONGER. She is a woman whose biological clock is ticking and if you honestly would not be able to look beyond the “PROBLEM AREAS” you’ve mentioned above; PLEASE FREE HER AND FREE YOURSELF. Don’t have a selfish attitude (No offence hope none taken) where you want to have your cake and eat it by keeping her and STILL HAVING THESE NAGGING DOUBTS/ISSUES THAT YOU CAN’T OVERLOOK.

If your family and friends are cool with her, that’s good; but note that it is not your family nor your friends that would be living with her in your home; it's YOU and once you have these doubts occurring then please look into these doubts carefully now in the courting stage of your relationship before you go further down the line.

The decision is yours entirely whether to carry on with her or let her be; though it'll be totally out of a selfish interest to allow her to chase other men away (one man’s meet is another man’s poison) with her knowledge that she has met her husband; meanwhile her man is in doubt if he has met his wife; as that’s the way it looks at the moment. I’ll strongly advise you to think deeply before pulling the plug on the relationship.

Finally, remember this saying; HELL HATH NO FURY LIKE A WOMAN SCORNED.

PS: For the benefit of others, PLEASE AND PLEASE don't ever wait and stay glued to a man/woman that is more interested in changing you to meet his/her standards. Never say there might not be another man/woman available to love you for who and how you are as that would be a fallacy and totally wrong. You probably might be chasing other men/women who meet your criteria away by remaining with the one you are managing to your own detriment.

I rest my case

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advise Please: SHE HAS CHARACTER BUT CAN'T SPEAK FLUENTLY by trem321: 4:47pm On Apr 21, 2017
Lionessza:

she had also refused to say yes to other men that are coming for her(as she said). but wait, are u married or just speaking from everyday experiences cos u just said exactly what's in my mind
Re: Advise Please: SHE HAS CHARACTER BUT CAN'T SPEAK FLUENTLY by NoToPile: 4:50pm On Apr 21, 2017
The probability of you getting another Lady when you reach your "financial goal " is high. According to you, you are with her now simply because the ladies with impeccable English and what you consider your taste are out of your reach.

You have peace of mind with her but it seems you want to just manage her because she is the one that wants to start small with you.

If only that Lady knows what she is entering.

What happened to brushing her up, bringing her to your level?

You want to marry some one and not ready to accept her flaws and help her improve ? You may not appreciate her again when you ve reached your financial goal? This is part of the reason why some ladies don't want struggling men ,the reason why some men ought not to be pitied when they jam karashika type of women and the reason why some men won't be blessed enough to be rich.

Money truly is the revealer of ones real character

Let her go bro, you really don't deserve her, she will be heart broken yes but she will be better of with someone who appreciates her in bad financial times and good financial times.

I am advising you to let her go not because of her grammar and all that because that can be worked on but because of the fact that there's a certainty that you WILL cheat on her as soon as you have more money and you know what even if she has improved grammatically by that time you will still likely cheat on her.

But if you really know what's good for you , peace is what you should be after.If there's no peace ,even the grammar ,poise and finesse will disgust you.
Re: Advise Please: SHE HAS CHARACTER BUT CAN'T SPEAK FLUENTLY by Atakata(f): 4:55pm On Apr 21, 2017
trem321:
THANKS BRO, exactly the same question i do ask myself, that is: will i have peace? and the answer is YES. my problem is my mind, the thing plagues me a lot, something that no person wl find fault with, you will see that my mind wl see all the errors in that thing, i have prayed about this thing but to no avail, if not i would have long married this lady, but i know i am still optimistic that the marriage will take place
Am a lady, be the one to control ur mind. devil might be playing tricks on u here. u know marriage comes with a lot of temptation. both of u ve to pray seriously . can u pray at night from 12am ? I understand u ve prayed abt it but u don't ve to stop. u ve to keep praying, don't give up bros. engage in serious midnight prayer if u can and God will reveal things to u in ur dream.
Re: Advise Please: SHE HAS CHARACTER BUT CAN'T SPEAK FLUENTLY by MMotimo: 5:05pm On Apr 21, 2017
I ignored this thread the first time I saw it but I feel compelled to say something.

I agree with lionessza. What is the point "managing/settling" when you know upfront you are not happy with her grammar and could become attratcted to someone else in the future. Poor English is not something you can cover up in a social setting unless she remains mute around other people. As for brushing up a graduate's English, the success rate is very low with that. We are products of our backgrounds, good grammar is very tough to master when you're already an adult, only few break through and for some reason, it seems to be harder for women than men.

It is unlikely she will ever be able to speak English at the level you desire so if you are marrying her, remove that from your list of expectations.
Re: Advise Please: SHE HAS CHARACTER BUT CAN'T SPEAK FLUENTLY by trem321: 5:10pm On Apr 21, 2017
@ toksbisola i am speechless, the wisdom in your post cannot be quantified with words, fantastic, classical, excellent etc are all grossly understatement should they be used to quantify your words, i am deeply grateful for the time taken to pour those gems, thanks a lot, the point is i just have to pray more and seek divine direction, she is not my 'girl friend' though as no pre-marital affair of any kind had occurred, we are just members of the same congregation, but the church is supervising our marriage program though they are not aware of this, we will report back after two months and the outcome determines the next step, whether to continue or discontinue, yea, thanks to all, so far so great
Re: Advise Please: SHE HAS CHARACTER BUT CAN'T SPEAK FLUENTLY by bukatyne(f): 5:12pm On Apr 21, 2017
I don't know where this funny idea that a lady must be unpolished to be good character wise and polished ladies don't make good wives. Except y'all are telling me that
1. You are not from polished homes/your sisters & female relations are unpolished so they are well behaved or
2. Your polished sisters and female relations make terrible wives

@trem321

Marriage is for the long haul so we must remember that what matters to us at 30 might not matter at 50. Ask yourself if you will be happy with your unpolished wife in future when you see your colleagues' polished wives even more devout to their husbands.

Like you said, you fear she will not be your taste when you 'arrive'..... Can you cope with what you see then (forget all those you can train her; if she is not willing to change/learn, OYO. One OP still opened a tread about his unambitious and unpolished wife a while back)

What are your girl's desires? what are her ambitions? What drives her? Where does she see herself in 10yrs? 20yrs?

What is your definition of a wife? What do you want from your wife? Some men want food, home and kids from a wife while they get companionship outside; some feel a wife cannot adequately provide the sex they need; some want trophy wives as handbags when they go out for functions; some what the whole package in a wife etc.....

What do you want from her as a wife?

And remember that this girl deserves 100% so do you.
Re: Advise Please: SHE HAS CHARACTER BUT CAN'T SPEAK FLUENTLY by Lionessza(f): 5:22pm On Apr 21, 2017
MMotimo:
I ignored this thread the first time I saw it but I feel compelled to say something.

I agree with lionessza. What is the point "managing/settling" when you know upfront you are not happy with her grammar and could become attratcted to someone else in the future. Poor English is not something you can cover up in a social setting unless she remains mute around other people. As for brushing up a graduate's English, the success rate is very low with that. We are products of our backgrounds, good grammar is very tough to master when you're already an adult, only few break through and for some reason, it seems to be harder for women than men.

It is unlikely she will ever be able to speak English at the level you desire so if you are marrying her, remove that from your list of expectations.

1 Like

Re: Advise Please: SHE HAS CHARACTER BUT CAN'T SPEAK FLUENTLY by bukatyne(f): 5:25pm On Apr 21, 2017
simiolu1:
I'm gonna tell you a story.

My brother has a friend; they graduated from the university together. Dude went to a conc pako public primary school where the mode of communication was Yoruba. After Secondary School, dude went to learn how to be a vulcanizer. When he was almost through with his training, he approached an uncle to help him with money for accommodation. His intentions were simple; after graduation, settle down.

Uncle encouraged him to go to computer school instead of renting a house; he agreed. Then later, uncle encouraged him to get a jamb form. Dude was like "ki lo n shey boda yii now" (what is wrong with this brother) but reluctantly agreed. This same person graduated as the second best student in his class, is now a graduate assistant in the school (a federal govt university) and currently enrolled in a MSc. program. My brother once told me he went to his hostel room very early one day while they were undergraduates and found him reading "Queen Primer" and "Brighter Grammar".

Now, dude is so fresh and packaged with impeccable english too.

My point: anyone with a desire to learn should not be written off. No one brought "good english" from heaven. It's a skill we all acquired here on earth. If that's the only place she is wanting; it can be corrected.

My 2 cents

Your brother's friend polished himself for himself (not because a woman pressured him or set it as a pre-condition for marriage).

Is the OP's woman interested in polishing herself for herself?

After getting the ring, most people become complacent especially those who were faking it or gave false promises in the first place.
Re: Advise Please: SHE HAS CHARACTER BUT CAN'T SPEAK FLUENTLY by Lionessza(f): 5:29pm On Apr 21, 2017
trem321:
she had also refused to say yes to other men that are coming for her(as she said). but wait, are u married or just speaking from everyday experiences cos u just said exactly what's in my mind

But why would she say yes to other men when she already has a " man"? So you expect her to accept proposals from others before you can man up about your realities? My marital status is irrelevant , what matters is the discussion at hand.

1 Like

Re: Advise Please: SHE HAS CHARACTER BUT CAN'T SPEAK FLUENTLY by simiolu1(m): 5:34pm On Apr 21, 2017
bukatyne:

Your brother's friend polished himself for himself (not because a woman pressured him or set it as a pre-condition for marriage).

Is the OP's woman interested in polishing herself for herself?

After getting the ring, most people become complacent especially those who were faking it or gave false promises in the first place.

I said anyone with a desire to learn should not be written off.. But also note an important fact: most people just need someone who will give them that "small push in the right direction". If not for the uncle of my brother's friend; he'd still be a vulcanizer. Truth is, we all need someone to believe in us and encourage us to believe in ourselves and our abilities.

Some people are naturally go getters; they just have it in them. Some need a slight push in the right direction; they take it up from there. Some need to be explained to first why that push would be to their benefit before they lift a finger. What the OP should ask himself essentially is if he can convince the lady that she needs to improve on her spoken english (for herself) without being judgmental or condescending.

It is one thing to nudge someone in the right path; it is another thing to want to force that right path on the person. I guess we both know that when it comes to adults; the latter yields very little result. Hope you understand my POV.

Barak (blessing)
Re: Advise Please: SHE HAS CHARACTER BUT CAN'T SPEAK FLUENTLY by Lionessza(f): 5:41pm On Apr 21, 2017
trem321:
EXCELLENT, i have tried to tell her this, but she is optimistic that all wl end well later in our married life, the lady had just refused to walk away despite all my efforts to induce her...

I have my doubts that you told her directly what you told all of us here. And I have a feeling that you enjoy having someone like her in your life who loves and supports you during your hard times without asking for much......even though you know pretty well when you make it you will ditch her for an "upgrade " . kind of reminds me of all those black American basketball players who love and enjoy the love and support of their "hood "women but deep down he knows he's aiming for a berevely hills blonde girl when he buys a makes the NBA. Why are you not walking away if you see what you are doing is wrong? Could it be that you are scared what if you don't make it? Will you find someone who will treat you like she does? Will the beautiful girls with nice accents accept you in their circles without your wallet? Hmmmmm undecided
Re: Advise Please: SHE HAS CHARACTER BUT CAN'T SPEAK FLUENTLY by trem321: 5:47pm On Apr 21, 2017
to say i'm elated will make me a blatant liar, also to say i'm overwhelmed will still not suffice, i am so so grateful for all the contributions, like i said earlier, the probability that we will settle is very high, since she is willing to learn...
Re: Advise Please: SHE HAS CHARACTER BUT CAN'T SPEAK FLUENTLY by trem321: 5:55pm On Apr 21, 2017
...but i feel for her cos she may not have much say after our marriage, though i wl try my best not to hurt her. BUT AS FOR CHEATING ON HER WHEN I ARRIVE, AS SOME PEOPLE HAD OPINED, ITS NOT AN OPTION AT ALL AT ALL, THAT IS WHY I AM TAKING MY TIME TO AVOID ANYTHING THAT MAY TRIGGER THAT TEMPTATION, YES AND I MEAN WHAT I SAID, CHEATING ON HER IS A SIN AGAINST MY OWN SOUL NOT EVEN AGAINST HER PER SE, YES COS I AM SERVING GOD IN ORDER TO BE WITH HIM IN ETERNITY, THANKS TO ALL
Re: Advise Please: SHE HAS CHARACTER BUT CAN'T SPEAK FLUENTLY by rex444(m): 7:06pm On Apr 21, 2017
I wanted to just read comments and move on but at some point, I was compelled to throw in few lines.... you see my friend,when you finally settle with the said girl,in marriage there is more than just impressing your friends... it becomes your own world n no third parties.. when the kids come,can she be a good mum n still be the wife? when times are hard can she be the pillar to lean on a bit? Am sure u see with these few points,being able to speak grammar does not apply here
Re: Advise Please: SHE HAS CHARACTER BUT CAN'T SPEAK FLUENTLY by olagunjumariah: 8:22pm On Apr 21, 2017
mr man, truth be told: you grammar is also not polished. i don't mean anything offensive
trem321:
@ toksbisola i am speechless, the wisdom in your post cannot be quantified with words, fantastic, classical, excellent etc are all grossly understatement should they be used to quantify your words, i am deeply grateful for the time taken to pour those gems, thanks a lot, the point is i just have to pray more and seek divine direction, she is not my 'girl friend' though as no pre-marital affair of any kind had occurred, we are just members of the same congregation, but the church is supervising our marriage program though they are not aware of this, we will report back after two months and the outcome determines the next step, whether to continue or discontinue, yea, thanks to all, so far so great

1 Like

Re: Advise Please: SHE HAS CHARACTER BUT CAN'T SPEAK FLUENTLY by keenn: 8:26pm On Apr 21, 2017
dingbang:
it depends on you.. As for me , it won't take me a second to come to a conclusion.. But be that as it may, I think you should just carry on with the marriage preparations.., Jonathan had a reason for marrying Patience, you know.. So sometimes its not just about what people will say.. Yes your friends will laugh behind you saying ur woman ain't good with English buh you are happy that she doesn't give you sleepless nights.. So if you ask me, I think you should just put all that behind and continue the love you both have established.
Re: Advise Please: SHE HAS CHARACTER BUT CAN'T SPEAK FLUENTLY by shadeyinka(m): 10:27pm On Apr 21, 2017
trem321:
pls i need your pieces of advise, especially from experienced persons and if possible with examples, thanks. this is my problem:i a . pls your ADVISE

The problem is not her but you.

You don't know what is called love and you probably don't love her.

What is love?
Spending yourselves to make the life of the other person beautiful. And love is not jealous, easily provoked...is kind..

Proof:
Her Parents and siblings loves her isn't it?
Are they ashamed of her English?

Only you are bothered, you don't love her.

If you love her, accept her and build her.

What of if she wouldn't change? Accept her as she is.

A good Marriage is a product of a good foundation: do you think you both have the requirement to live together?

What are the 10 most important things you want in a wife. If she scores 65%, fire on.
Re: Advise Please: SHE HAS CHARACTER BUT CAN'T SPEAK FLUENTLY by Nobody: 10:29pm On Apr 21, 2017
smiley
modified : some people don't deserve a reply.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pregnant Wife Storms Church, Scatters Nollywood Actor's Wedding To Girlfriend / Pls I Need Help, From My Violence Husband / Enugu Govt. Denies Report On Alleged Stoppage Of Issuance Of Birth Certificates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 159
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.