Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,467 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:26 PM

Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? - Religion (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? (23719 Views)

Archbishop Ede: I Did Not Announce Lift On Ban Of Religious Activities In Enugu / How Did The Hebrew Women Deliver? / Should The Hebrew Midwives Be Commended For Lying? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by PastorAIO: 9:27am On Jul 06, 2018
OneJ:

In Hebrew "ehyeh asher ehyeh" means. " I will become what/who I will become" ( Exodus 3:14 ). "Ego himi ho on " is not the Greek equivalent for Hebrew's ehyeh asher ehyeh. Stop being dishonest,Oga Pastor. White can never be black. pls Stick to the bitter truth.

So basically you are saying that the Septuagint is wrong. Yes or No?
Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by truthislight: 1:13pm On Jul 09, 2018
PastorAIO:

What appears is the tetragrammaton Yod He Vau He in the Old Testament. Nobody knows what the vowels between the letters are. It was a closely guarded secret. And those that are crying Jehovah Jehovah now are just exercising their over active imaginations.

What do you call a supposed child who doesn't even know his father's name?

OneJ:

Again,U refused to admit that U LIED against Mr Charles Russell with your false claims that he committed perjury, when indeed no court of law ever adjudged on it. That link I shared exposed your falsehood.
Now, U done come again with your lies.
Make I help U small... go read the Wikipedia entry about NWT. Some praised it ,others criticised it that Jehovah appeared in the Greek Scriptures instead of kyrios (LORD). That criticism is expected. But U & I, know that "LORD" is a substitute for YHWH (thats Jehovah,Yahweh). & often times ,those passages where direct quotations of the old testament (OT)

For instance, Matt4:4 is a direct quote of Deut 8:3., YHWH is there in the OT, not LORD.

Since Acts28:6 is "a god" then it is fraudulent to change John 1:1 to "God". (In the Greek manuscript it's lowercase "god"wink. It's very clear that the NWT & 14 other Bible versions were more accurate than the popular ones which twist God's word.
The fact remains that NWT is among the best Bible versions available. Many persons I have met, who are not JWs own a copy& they attest that it's the most easy to read & understand. Actually,just like F.W.Franz, U don't need paper qualifications to study & gain understanding of God's word. A Committee of faithful ,God fearing Christians handled the project over many years & to Jehovah's glory, they did well. Shalom.

This was what he had said above to you all and you have closed your eyes to:

Deut 8:3

So he humbled you and let you go hungry and fed you with the manna, which neither you had known nor your fathers had known, in order to make you know that man does not live by bread alone but man lives by every expression from Jehovah’s mouth

Matt 4:4

But he answered: “It is written: ‘Man must live, not on bread alone, but on every word that comes from Jehovah’s mouth
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That the above statement in Matthew 4:4 is a quote picked from Deut 8:3, in Deut 8:3 where the original statement was made, people don't find fault that the name Yahweh/Jehovah was used there in certain translations, but are saying that it is wrong for the name Yahweh to be in the same same statement in Matthew 4:4.

Is that not a double standard and Hypocrisy/out rightly being deceitful?

I mean, this is a quoted statement, why replace some words/name and say that it is not part of the quoted statement? just SMH.

Why then is it not the NWT that is correct and its translators that did the right thing before Yahweh for being consistent?

Hairyrapunzel:

Just the way you guys dubiously put jehovah 218 times in the new testament when it never appears once.

Why should it not appear when the words and statement is lifted from the Hebrew scriptures?

Was Jesus also afraid of pronouncing his fathers names?

1 Like

Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by truthislight: 1:54pm On Jul 09, 2018
grin

OneJ:

Oga Pastor, In your own words, "it is grammatically incongruous that the reference is to the 'I am' at the burning bush "
.Oga, Pastor, U are so confused & so dishonest that U can't help it but contradict yourself. Again, In your own words " there is the theologically significant use of "I am" that is used to make reference to Jehovah.... He declared his name to be "I am". He didn't say tell them that " I have been" sent you". After your initial denial, U mischievously linked together "I am" in Hebrew to "I am" in Greek. U lied sotayy U come get confusion transmission.

Hebrew language has no present tense. Therefore "I am" , is not a Hebrew word & can never have the same meaning with Greek Ego eimi.. Therefore ,your claim about John 8:58 is built on quicksand,very weak foundation. Besides, John 8:12-58, Jesus never said he is God. Rather, he said he spoke the message that God sent him & also gave proof that he is the son of God.
Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by truthislight: 1:56pm On Jul 09, 2018
grin grin grin grin

PastorAIO:

But the book of John was written in Greek and greek has present tense. Ego Eimi is present tense.

And as it happens, it is Ego Eimi that we are talking about not any hebrew word.

Out of interest then, what point were you trying to make when you quoted 2Sam2:20 about Asahel's statement?

Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by truthislight: 1:58pm On Jul 09, 2018
grin grin grin grin

OneJ:
In addition, followers of Christ & even the Jews themselves never said " I am that I am". It's not Hebrew language.
The actual,authentic Hebrew phrase they say (even till today) is "Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh" translated to English thus :" I shall become (prove to be) what I shall become (prove to be).
Na fake slogan "I am" wey no dey Hebrew language naim una take dey defend fallacy.
In conclusion, your Trinity is a man made fallacy. Take it or leave it.
Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by truthislight: 2:01pm On Jul 09, 2018
So, the language that Moses used in the Exod and the burning bush and all was greek because of the Septuagint grin grin grin grin

PastorAIO:

Let me clear it up for other readers. I know that this OneJ guy is a lost cause given over to deceit and won't listen to this history.

The early Christians and most Jews around the time of Jesus did not read the bible in Hebrew and hadn't read it in Hebrew for about 300 years.
You see, around the 3th century BCE the Hebrew bible was translated into Greek and this translation was called the Septuagint. Google Septuagint.

The early christians wrote the new testament in Greek and when they made reference to the Old testament they clearly made reference to the greek version of the old testament, the Septuagint.

So in order to know how the early christians understood Exodus 3:14 we have to look at the Septuagint version which is the version that they read and not the Hebrew version. So while the Hebrew language may not have obvious ways of expressing the present tense the Greek of the septuagint did so very clearly.

How does the Septuagint translate Ehyer Asher Ehyer? They translate it as: Ego Eimi ho on.

Yes that's right, the Earliest christians and possibly even Jesus himself read the septuagint and read Exodus 3:14 as Ego Eimi which is the Present Tense in Greek for 'To Be'. In other words: I Am

It doesn't matter whether this is an accurate translation or not for the student of Christianity. The important thing is that that is what the Christians read and accepted. And that is what they built their theology on.

Many Jews to this day still argue that Christianity is based on a mistranslation of the Hebrew bible. Another passage they like to critize is in Isaiah. Isaiah 7:14. .... And a Virgin shall conceive.

The actual Hebrew word that is used there is Almah. "An Almah shall conceive".

In actual fact 'Almah' is simply Hebrew for a Young woman. The real hebrew word for Virgin is Betulah.

However the Septuagint translated Almah into Greek as Virgin and that is where the christian doctrine of the virgin birth originated from because the Christian all read the Septuagint. Throughout the New Testament when they talk of the scriptures it is the Septuagint that they quote from consistently.

So the Conclusion:

All mister OneJ 's barking about the original hebrew is just a display of his lack of knowledge of Christianity, especially early christianity.

Early Christianity is based on the Septuagint which is a Greek manuscript and in the Septuagint Exodus 3:14 is translated as Ego Eimi Ho On. Which is totally present tense.

Mister OneJ would you like to try another move? I'm quite enjoying rebuffing your desperate attempts.

1 Like

Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by truthislight: 2:03pm On Jul 09, 2018
So, the language that Moses used in the Exod and the burning bush and all was greek because of the Septuagint grin grin grin grin

Now i understood why you wanted to speak greek with me. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin tongue
PastorAIO:

Let me clear it up for other readers. I know that this OneJ guy is a lost cause given over to deceit and won't listen to this history.

The early Christians and most Jews around the time of Jesus did not read the bible in Hebrew and hadn't read it in Hebrew for about 300 years.
You see, around the 3th century BCE the Hebrew bible was translated into Greek and this translation was called the Septuagint. Google Septuagint.

The early christians wrote the new testament in Greek and when they made reference to the Old testament they clearly made reference to the greek version of the old testament, the Septuagint.

So in order to know how the early christians understood Exodus 3:14 we have to look at the Septuagint version which is the version that they read and not the Hebrew version. So while the Hebrew language may not have obvious ways of expressing the present tense the Greek of the septuagint did so very clearly.

How does the Septuagint translate Ehyer Asher Ehyer? They translate it as: Ego Eimi ho on.

Yes that's right, the Earliest christians and possibly even Jesus himself read the septuagint and read Exodus 3:14 as Ego Eimi which is the Present Tense in Greek for 'To Be'. In other words: I Am

It doesn't matter whether this is an accurate translation or not for the student of Christianity. The important thing is that that is what the Christians read and accepted. And that is what they built their theology on.

Many Jews to this day still argue that Christianity is based on a mistranslation of the Hebrew bible. Another passage they like to critize is in Isaiah. Isaiah 7:14. .... And a Virgin shall conceive.

The actual Hebrew word that is used there is Almah. "An Almah shall conceive".

In actual fact 'Almah' is simply Hebrew for a Young woman. The real hebrew word for Virgin is Betulah.

However the Septuagint translated Almah into Greek as Virgin and that is where the christian doctrine of the virgin birth originated from because the Christian all read the Septuagint. Throughout the New Testament when they talk of the scriptures it is the Septuagint that they quote from consistently.

So the Conclusion:

All mister OneJ 's barking about the original hebrew is just a display of his lack of knowledge of Christianity, especially early christianity.

Early Christianity is based on the Septuagint which is a Greek manuscript and in the Septuagint Exodus 3:14 is translated as Ego Eimi Ho On. Which is totally present tense.

Mister OneJ would you like to try another move? I'm quite enjoying rebuffing your desperate attempts.

1 Like

Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by truthislight: 2:10pm On Jul 09, 2018
Choi! This guy Harsh grin grin grin grin grin grin

OneJ:

In your own words, "the early Christians & most Jews around the time of Christ did not read the Bible in Hebrew & hadn't read it in Hebrew for about 300 years"
If we are to believe the trash U typed above, the Jews them done forget Hebrew & bury their language finish sotay them no dey speak am & even read Hebrew Torah scroll for their synagogues again
(If na only Septuagint dey at that time, So, U mean say them troway all the Hebrew scrolls wey them take write the Septuagint too !!!! Hahahahaaaa. )
Also, since them no dey read or speak Hebrew for their homes & inside synagogue, " for over 300years" , them no know say "I am" no dey Hebrew language... (Oga Pastor, fafafa foul.. this your lie na ogidigan.. Hhmmmm! ).
Oga Pastor said "it doesn't matter whether this (Septuagint ) is an accurate translation or not for the student of Christianity..... & that is what they built their theology on".
For example, if U wrote a book in Yoruba & U gave permission to a Greek translator to publish a Greek version of your book. After the work is done, U later found out that in chapter 3 ,the content & meaning is very different & contradicts your original book, would U accept that & praise the work & recommend it to the general public ?
Any deviation from the Hebrew texts (the original source) ,God says it's Unacceptable.1Thes5:20,21. Rev22:18,19
Nairalanders, PastorA10 doesn't mind to propagate the theology built on falsehood & man made fallacy (trinity).
Indeed, by their fruits ye shall know them (Matt7:15-20) who deny that Jesus is the son of God. Even though God revealed that Jesus is the son of the Living God (Matt16:13-17. 1John4:15. 5:10) but them say na lie.

1 Like

Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by truthislight: 2:18pm On Jul 09, 2018
O keep silent!

Was the temple in Jerusalem not in existence as of then? Were there no copies of the original Hebrew scriptures? Were the Jews and Kings of Israel not consistently ask to make copies of the Law and other part of the OT?

Stop the lies.

PastorAIO:
And with these words you have just attacked the entire basis of Christianity and even the words of Jesus himself.

All the quotations of the OT that the apostles make are from the Septuagint. Even when Jesus quotes the OT he quotes the Septuagint to if you think that the Septuagint is 'Unacceptable' then you obviously consider Jesus to be false and unacceptable too and Peter and Paul and all the apostles that quote extensively from the Septuagint.

You've just attacked the very premises of Christianity just to protect your vile evil pedophilic cult.

1 Like

Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by PastorAIO: 2:30pm On Jul 09, 2018
truthislight:

Deut 8:3

So he humbled you and let you go hungry and fed you with the manna, which neither you had known nor your fathers had known, in order to make you know that man does not live by bread alone but man lives by every expression from Jehovah’s mouth

Matt 4:4

But he answered: “It is written: ‘Man must live, not on bread alone, but on every word that comes from Jehovah’s mouth
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That the above statement in Matthew 4:4 is a quote picked from Deut 8:3, in Deut 8:3 where the original statement was made, people don't find fault that the name Yahweh/Jehovah was used there in certain translations, but are saying that it is wrong for the name Yahweh to be in the same same statement in Matthew 4:4.

Thank you so much for drawing my attention to this other instance of Jesus quoting from the Septuagint.

So the question you should ask is: Why did Jesus not use YHWH when he was quoting that scripture?

The answer is: Because Jesus was quoting it from the Septuagint which always translated YHWH as Kyrios, meaning Lord in Greek.

It is obvious that Jesus (or the writer of Matthew) read the Septuagint because he makes the same translation of YHWH to Kyrios. Jesus never says YHWH as in the Hebrew bible, but says Kyrios as in the Septuagint.
Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by truthislight: 2:31pm On Jul 09, 2018
You see your life? When you were asking Jman to speak Greek, You never imagined that Moses spoke Hebrew language and that they both never originally used the same word for I AM, you were pushing it as though Moses and Jesus used the same exact word.

Your lying ability or na ignorance has phd. Oloshi!

PastorAIO:

Did you realise that the language spoken by Jews in Palestine at the time of Jesus was in fact Aramaic and not Hebrew.
Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by truthislight: 2:36pm On Jul 09, 2018
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue

OneJ:

LIES &FALSEHOOD!
All these your long epistle are half hearted measures at best. Where & when did Jesus "quotes extensively from the Greek translation"?
Rather, Jesus extensively quoted the Hebrew scriptures for instance, in Matt4:4 he quoted Deut8:3. In John 10:34 he quoted Psalms 82:6 etc. He never twisted the word of God unlike U guys that gave endorsed the falsified the word.
Contrary to your claim, those who disagree with the Greek translation of the corrupted "I am" inserted into Hebrew are far more honest than the multitude who accepted the fallacy U have been putting up excuses to defend.
Today, there are multiple extant manuscripts far older than the Septuagint & as a result the falsified insertion of "I am" & other errors has been exposed. Pride ,ego & arrogance wey una get no go let una accept the truth.
God can never lie ( Hebrew 6:18. John17:17). Neither does HE accept Jewish fable & myths ("I am"wink that His word condemned in very strong terms ( Titus 1:13,14. 2Thess1:9-11. Rom1:25).
PastorA10, believe what U wanna believe.. but at your own risk.
Nairalanders, following this thread,as U can see (& going by what has been confirmed by Pastor A10) , the fact. is that the Trinity fallacy is built on the falsified insertion of the term "I am" (not a Hebrew word ) into Hebrew Old testament of the Greek Septuagint.
Statement of fact:Trinity is a man made fallacy, not taught by Jesus Christ or his followers, except U wanna twist the Bible to get your answer b4 the question.
PastorA10, thanks for your time. I'm done with U. Shalom.
Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by PastorAIO: 2:38pm On Jul 09, 2018
truthislight:

whatever the language that Moses spoke was the facts are:

1) The OT was translated into Greek in the 3rd century BCE. The translation was called the Septuagint, aka LXX, and it was believed to be divinely inspired.

2)The writers of the New Testament quoted extensively from the LXX and have Jesus quoting from the LXX. As you have kindly shown us, Jesus used the Kyrios when quoting the OT rather than YHWH.

3) Much of Christian theology is based on the LXX, including the teachings of Jesus.

4) None of this negates the original Hebrew scriptures. Nobody is attacking the original Hebrew scriptures. It is you lot that are attacking the LXX even though Jesus quotes from it again and again and it is the very basis of Christianity.

Again I ask. Since you hate the LXX so much then why do you call yourself a Christian?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by PastorAIO: 2:43pm On Jul 09, 2018
truthislight:
You see your life? When you were asking Jman to speak Greek, You never imagined that Moses spoke Hebrew language and that they both never originally use the same word for I AM, you were pushing it as though Moses and Jesus used the same exact word.

Your lying ability or na ignorance has phd. Oloshi!

It is so sad that you cannot see that the Hebrew doesn't matter in this case.

The translation into Greek was the basis of Christian theology. The Septuagint is the basis of Christian theology. If you dismiss the LXX because you feel that it does not accurately depict the original Hebrew text then you are dismissing the whole of Christianity.

LXX, says God's name is 'I AM'. On the basis of this Jesus said 'I Am' in reference to himself. The Theological implications are clear.

LXX, translates 'Almah' to mean Virgin instead of Young Woman. In Christianity the Theological implications of this 'error' are clear for all of us to see. It gave us the Virgin Birth.
Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by truthislight: 2:46pm On Jul 09, 2018
OneJ:
"Hecedh" also spelt. "checedh" ,the exact Hebrew word there meaning loving kindness. It is synonymous or equivalent to mercy ,goodness, kindness or brotherly love.
In Hebrew "ehyeh asher ehyeh" means. " I will become what/who I will become" ( Exodus 3:14 ). "Ego himi ho on " is not the Greek equivalent for Hebrew's ehyeh asher ehyeh. Stop being dishonest,Oga Pastor. White can never be black. pls Stick to the bitter truth.

Pastor AIO wants to come speak Greek with me and JMan05.

Him been dey jump up for this thread like sa him be Boxer wey want fight for ring. Local lying champion like him. Fake pastor aio. Now i know why @Enigma was always cursing you. Oloshi!

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin tongue
Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by PastorAIO: 2:47pm On Jul 09, 2018
truthislight:
O keep silent!

Was the temple in Jerusalem not in existence as of then? Were there no copies of the original Hebrew scriptures? Were the Jews and Kings of Israel not consistently ask to make copies of the Law and other part of the OT?

Stop the lies.

The facts still remain that the Septuagint was the most widely read bible and the Jews thought it was divine. And all the Christians read it up until the time of Jerome in the 5th century who insisted on translating the catholic Vulgate from the Hebrew texts instead of the LXX Greek text.

If you attack the LXX then you attack christianity. If you say that the LXX is wrong in favour of some Hebrew text then you are saying that Christianity is wrong.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by PastorAIO: 2:48pm On Jul 09, 2018
truthislight:

Pastor AIO wants to come speak Greek with me and JMan05.

Him been dey jump up for this thread like sa him be Boxer wey want fight for ring. Local lying champion like him. Fake pastor aio. Now i know why @Enigma was always cursing you. Oloshi!

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin tongue

And you have now joined him in the cursing because like him you have come to your wits end.
Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by truthislight: 2:54pm On Jul 09, 2018
PastorAIO:

Thank you so much for drawing my attention to this other instance of Jesus quoting from the Septuagint.

So the question you should ask is: Why did Jesus not use YHWH when he was quoting that scripture?

The answer is: Because Jesus was quoting it from the Septuagint which always translated YHWH as Kyrios, meaning Lord in Greek.

It is obvious that Jesus (or the writer of Matthew) read the Septuagint because he makes the same translation of YHWH to Kyrios. Jesus never says YHWH as in the Hebrew bible, but says Kyrios as in the Septuagint.

See how you are talking like a kid. How can the translators in a time they have refused to make use of the name of Yahweh agree to use it in Greek?

That it was not written Greek in no way implies that what they wrote in actual is the exact words Jesus had used.

But we know that he quoted a statement that contained the name of Yahweh in Deut 8:3.

And again, Jesus Christ did not need to depend on the Septuagint to know what was written in the original Hebrew manuscript.
Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by truthislight: 3:05pm On Jul 09, 2018
PastorAIO:

And you have now joined him in the cursing.

That was meant to be a Joke in the pass.

No more cursing. Apologies.
Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by PastorAIO: 3:26pm On Jul 09, 2018
truthislight:

See how you are talking like a kid. How can the translators in a time they have refused to make use of the name of Yahweh agree to use it in Greek?

That it was not written in no way implies that what they wrote in actual is the exact words Jesus had used.

But we know that he quoted a statement that contained the name of Yahweh in Deut 8:3.

And again, Jesus Christ did not need to depend on the Septuagint to know what was written in the original Hebrew manuscript.

But the passage in the Septuagint says 'Kyrios' meaning Lord.

Of course we can't be sure that what the gospels quote are the actual words of Jesus. But we know that when quoting a passage that contained the name YHWH he is said to have used 'Kyrios' just like the LXX does. Furthermore we see the LXX quoted all over the new testament. Early Christianity did not take LXX as a joke.

When Jesus said 'I Am' he was quoting LXX too. The fact that he knew what the passage said in Hebrew has no bearing on what we are discussing. The fact is that Jesus was making a point based on the LXX reading which he knew that all his readers who also read LXX would understand.
Or perhaps I should say that the writer of John's gospel read LXX and knew that his readers too read the LXX and the point he was trying to make was based on that LXX version, as much else in Christianity is based on the LXX.

Again, no one can seriously dismiss the LXX and still seriously consider themselves a christian.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by truthislight: 5:27pm On Jul 09, 2018
PastorAIO:

But the passage in the Septuagint says 'Kyrios' meaning Lord.

Of course we can't be sure that what the gospels quote are the actual words of Jesus. But we know that when quoting a passage that contained the name YHWH he is said to have used 'Kyrios' just like the LXX does. Furthermore we see the LXX quoted all over the new testament. Early Christianity did not take LXX as a joke.

When Jesus said 'I Am' he was quoting LXX too. The fact that he knew what the passage said in Hebrew has no bearing on what we are discussing. The fact is that Jesus was making a point based on the LXX reading which he knew that all his readers who also read LXX would understand.
Or perhaps I should say that the writer of John's gospel read LXX and knew that his readers too read the LXX and the point he was trying to make was based on that LXX version, as much else in Christianity is based on the LXX.

Again, no one can seriously dismiss the LXX and still seriously consider themselves a christian.

On red is your word, you can't decide who Yahweh approves only Yahweh can. Hence, your above statement does not define who Yahweh has chosen neither can you reward anybody with everlasting life.

Seekers of truth are content with standing with the truth and not depending on human approval. Such statement led to killing people in the past in the name of inquisition.

1 Like

Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by PastorAIO: 5:43pm On Jul 09, 2018
truthislight:

On red is your word, you can't decide who Yahweh approves only Yahweh can. Hence, your above statement does not define who Yahweh has chosen neither can you reward anybody with everlasting life.

Very true. But I'm not talking about who Yahweh approves of.

I'm talking about attacking the LXX and trying to dismiss it when Christianity is so fundamentally rooted in it. That amounts to an attack on Christianity itself.

1 Like

Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by kkins25(m): 4:41pm On Jul 26, 2018
Pastoraio vs trughtislight in order words facts vs sentiment
Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by truthislight: 11:31am On Jul 29, 2018
kkins25:
Pastoraio vs trughtislight in order words facts vs sentiment

smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley

I wish I could get into your mind to get precisely what you are all about on that.

2 Likes

Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by PastorAIO: 10:52am On Aug 02, 2018
Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by Geist(m): 3:49pm On Aug 06, 2018
PastorAIO:
More on the LXX here:
https://www.nairaland.com/1224167/contra-bibliolatreia-ii-septuagint
Derailing a bit here, but I have been listening a lot to Jordan Peterson and I find a lot of his posits on religion similar to yours, Do you know him and agree to many of the things he says on religion? Also I would love to know if there are things you disagree a lot with in his saying.
Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by PastorAIO: 11:04am On Aug 12, 2018
Geist:
Derailing a bit here, but I have been listening a lot to Jordan Peterson and I find a lot of his posits on religion similar to yours, Do you know him and agree to many of the things he says on religion? Also I would love to know if there are things you disagree a lot with in his saying.

I don't trust Jordan Peterson. I know very well the intellectual perspective that he is coming from. He derives a lot from the works of Carl Jung and also Joseph Campbell. These are very deep perspectives but I fear that he is using it cynically to create a following.

What is obvious is that there are many deep psychological/spiritual aspects to humanity that are been left unaddressed and there is a whole generations of western youths, young men especially, who are experiencing what T. S. Elliot called The Waste Land.

Joseph Campbell takes up his theme of the Wasteland extensively in his book Creative Mythology. He quotes the T.S. Elliot poem:

Here is no water but only rock
Rock and no water and the sandy road
The road winding above among the mountains
Which are mountains of rock without water
If there were water we should stop and drink
Amongst the rock one cannot stop or think
Sweat is dry and feet are in the sand
If there were only water amongst the rock
Dead mountain mouth of carious teeth that cannot spit
Here one can neither stand nor lie nor sit
There is not een silence in the mountains
But dry sterile thunder without rain.....

The imagery T.S Elliot depicts here also reminds me of the Ifa Odu called Okanran meji which also talks of dry sterility.

Anyway, Campbell starts discussing the Wasteland when he discusses the role and functions of Myth.

He describes 4 functions of myth:

1... To help humans reconcile with the terrible reality that is existence

2... To forge a language in which that terrible reality can be articulated.

3.... To help enforce a Moral order, ie 'the shaping of the individual to the requirements of his geographically nad historically conditioned social group'... In this case an actual break from Nature can occur whereby the myth and it's attendant culture causes us to do things that are not to be found in nature. For instance genital Circumcision.
This is the function of myth that produces the most problems for humanity.

4.... The final is as a guide for the individual to unfold his potential in accordance with a)Himself, b) His society, and c) The Universe as a whole.
I believe that this is also what Jung calls Individuation.

Campbell spoke of our need to discover new myths for the needs of our specific generation. Just like at the end of the Middle ages in Europe there was a collapse in the beliefs of the old religious myths (christianity) and art had to rise to the challenge of inventing myths to address the angst being felt, so it is in this generation we are living in.

Today we are surrounded by a cynicism that is soul destroying. Especially the youth need a lodestar, something, anything, that will give their lives purpose and directions. The myths on which contemporary Western society had been built, about material progress, democracy, Science etc are no longer been believed in, and have become a tool for cynical abusers of society. We are living in a Spiritual Wasteland, for real, and what is required now is the emergence of a Hero, or a prophet, or guru figure that will point the way.

And on cue, Mr Jordan Peterson steps up. Really it could be any number of people who are aware of the desperate need of the society. He plays the role of the Wise Man/Guide Archetype superbly. However I am not convinced.

More to come....

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by PastorAIO: 11:25am On Aug 12, 2018
Geist:

Jordan Peterson continues to cling to Christianity as the bedrock for his essential myths. Herein lies one of his failings as well as a tell tale sign that his motives might be xenophobic if not racial. On Youtube many atheists have pounced on his intellectual dishonesty and illogic when discussing Christianity.

For example here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwXAB6cICG0

His distinction between 'Newtonian truth' and 'Darwinian truth' I find particularly appalling and utterly shallow.

His trick is to try to conflate 'Truth' with 'What is expedient'. Any number of BS stories may be expedient for a span of time but that won't ever make them true.

To then apply this to christianity and try to make a case for the historicity of Jesus dying and rising from the Cross by talking in as convoluted a manner as is possible is precisely the kind of thing that leaves me very suspicious of what is going on with him.

In short I think the man is a charlatan but due to his clever use of powerful mythological analysis he is actually a very dangerous charlatan.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by PastorAIO: 11:32am On Aug 12, 2018
Geist:

But one thing that he says that I have to give him kudos for is his teaching to Always Tell the Truth.

This is a very powerful practice and it is not easy to do. It also yields very powerful personality changes for the better in those who can practice it. The difficulty lies in the fact that when one tells the Truth many things seem to go wrong before they even begin to go right. To put it in the terms of Christ Mythology, One will have to experience Death before one can experience a Glorious Resurrection. The path of Truth leads you to ignominy and shame before it brings you into Glory.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by Geist(m): 2:40am On Aug 13, 2018
PastorAIO:

But one thing that he says that I have to give him kudos for is his teaching to Always Tell the Truth.

This is a very powerful practice and it is not easy to do. It also yields very powerful personality changes for the better in those who can practice it. The difficulty lies in the fact that when one tells the Truth many things seem to go wrong before they even begin to go right. To put it in the terms of Christ Mythology, One will have to experience Death before one can experience a Glorious Resurrection. The path of Truth leads you to ignominy and shame before it brings you into Glory.
I must say I was a bit surprised you had more criticism than praise. I found some of his teachings on the Logus similar to yours but I think you pretty much agree with that. However I find your criticism also very similar to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU1LhcEh8Ms which also accuses him of having a very shallow definition of postmodernism and basing a lot of claims on this. Thanks though for offering your opinion on it. Are there any books you would say influenced your thoughts on philosophy and theology you would recommend? One that wouldn't be too difficult for newbie to understand.
Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by PastorAIO: 1:27pm On Sep 30, 2018
Geist:
I must say I was a bit surprised you had more criticism than praise. I found some of his teachings on the Logus similar to yours but I think you pretty much agree with that. However I find your criticism also very similar to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU1LhcEh8Ms which also accuses him of having a very shallow definition of postmodernism and basing a lot of claims on this. Thanks though for offering your opinion on it. Are there any books you would say influenced your thoughts on philosophy and theology you would recommend? One that wouldn't be too difficult for newbie to understand.

I'm terribly sorry for taking so long to respond.

For me one of the series of books that have influenced me 'bigly' would be Joseph Campbell's Masks of God. There are 4 of them. The ones that captured my imagination were the 3rd and 4th, Occidental Mythology and Creative Mythology. I also enjoyed the 2nd one, Oriental Mythology. However, I've got to admit, I had a hard time getting into the first one, Primitive Mythology. I never really read that one.

Another book of his that I thoroughly enjoyed was The Hero With A Thousand Faces.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/40672-the-masks-of-god

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hero_with_a_Thousand_Faces

There are pdf-s of these books online too, I believe.

1 Like

Re: Is The Hebrew Monotheistic Belief A Product Of Religious Syncretism? by Nobody: 4:03am On Oct 21, 2018
PastorAIO:

whatever the language that Moses spoke was the facts are:

1) The OT was translated into Greek in the 3rd century BCE. The translation was called the Septuagint, aka LXX, and it was believed to be divinely inspired.

2)The writers of the New Testament quoted extensively from the LXX and have Jesus quoting from the LXX. As you have kindly shown us, Jesus used the Kyrios when quoting the OT rather than YHWH.

3) Much of Christian theology is based on the LXX, including the teachings of Jesus.

4) None of this negates the original Hebrew scriptures. Nobody is attacking the original Hebrew scriptures. It is you lot that are attacking the LXX even though Jesus quotes from it again and again and it is the very basis of Christianity.

Again I ask. Since you hate the LXX so much then why do you call yourself a Christian?

I didn't know that this thread is still ongoing.

There seem to be a problem I have observed here. You seem to think that Christians translated the Hebrew scriptures to Greek and used it extensively, rather than the Greek translation of the OT.

I don't think that is true. The Christians didn't translate such. It was a translation available even before Jesus birth.

Permit me to say that the version that is available with which Jesus used when he goes to the temple to read, is not the Septuagint, but the OT written in Hebrew. This was the primary version used in the temple. Jesus was conversant with it and he would quote from that version.

Secondly, I observed that you think that the Septuagint never at all used YHWH. That view was quite popular, but any bible researcher will agree that the Septuagint we have today is not the autograph produced by the 70/2 scholars in Alexandria. There is hint that the divine name in the Septuagint could have been removed by later christian writers. That the first century disciples of Jesus used a Septuagint with the divine name written there.

Thirdly, Septuagint was most necessary when the preaching went to the gentiles who cannot speak or understand Hebrew. Greek, as an international language, was used to let them know the truth. As such, they made good use of the Septuagint. (Of course, this Septuagint evidently had the divine name).

However, back there in Jerusalem, Jesus and other apostles could not convincingly be preaching to a Jew with a Septuagint version. From there youth, Jews were trained with OT written in Hebrew, not Greek. So I don't agree that Jesus will be quoting from the Septuagint. Septuagint would be more effective for those who do not understand Hebrew.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Marry In Your 20s To Avoid Nagging In Your 30s – Prophet Ritabbi To Ladies / Sex: A Trusted Tool In The Hands Of The Devil / Oyedepo's Claim That Covenant University Wasnt Built With Tithes - My Thoughts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.