Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,944 members, 7,817,776 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:19 PM

Jehovah's Witnesses: Why Are Blood Transfusions So Bad? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Jehovah's Witnesses: Why Are Blood Transfusions So Bad? (23984 Views)

Why Are So Many Christians Against Jehovah Witnesses ? Why ? / Are Blood Transfusions Sinful? / Five Things You Never Knew About Jehovah's Witnesses. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jehovah's Witnesses: Why Are Blood Transfusions So Bad? by Seun(m): 2:31pm On Sep 01, 2018
Dear Jehovah's Witnesses,

When I heard that Serena Williams almost died during the birth of her child, I couldn’t understand why a strong and rich lady like her in a first world country would face such difficulties. When I learned that she is a Jehovah's Witness I immediately understood what the problem was.

Please help me to understand why blood transfusions are so bad. What makes you think that God is against life-saving blood transfusions? Why would God give doctors the wisdom to perform life-saving blood transfusions and then forbid his followers from accepting them?

Please don’t just copy and paste content from apologetics websites. Use your own words and reasons to explain what you personally believe.

See also:

1. If the JWGB changed their stance on blood transfusion and a child close to you needed one, what would you do?

2. Jesus declared all foods to be clean, according to the gospels. This would include blood.

28 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: Why Are Blood Transfusions So Bad? by fratermathy(m): 2:33pm On Sep 01, 2018
I am not a Jehovah's witness but I think it is their belief that blood is sacred and represents life and therefore should not be transfused. The belief emerged in 1945 (it wasn't there from the onset) and it is based on their own interpretation of the old testament.

They even proposed a scientific reason for it and explained why the various parts of the blood should not be transfused.

Personally, I see the belief as a baseless one because bloodless surgeries, which they advocate for, is impracticable in many medical operations and blood is vital to counteract the effect of bleeding and some other ailments. It is scientifically illogical to refuse blood transfusion. I cannot count how many have died due to this belief. The one that remains evergreen in my memory is that of a jovial, jollygood uncle who was plagued by diabetes and cancer. He needed blood badly but refused to get any. He said Jehovah will heal him. His congregation and immediate family were trying to seek alternative treatments abroad which may not require blood transfusions but they found none. He later died a slow, agonising death.

To address the issue, this is basically a religious belief, even though absurd, and should be treated as what it is. We need not understand the rationale or probe the illogicality of it. Since they believe it and it is ultimately their choice what to do with their lives, we have no choice than to respect their beliefs and wonder in amusement from a distance. As with all other religious beliefs and superstitions, probing into them will ultimately mar our perception of the adherents since many of the beliefs are antithetical to commonsense.

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: Why Are Blood Transfusions So Bad? by Afam4eva(m): 2:34pm On Sep 01, 2018
The same question should be directed at all Christian and religious denominations. it seems to me that some of us who see ourselves as liberal Christians are not aware that to someone else, specifically atheist that we're just as delusional. So, i don't know what right we have to questions someone else's religious belief.

It is a religious belief and doesn't have to make sense to people who are not of the same belief. They have their reasons for doing what they do no matter how ludicrous it may sound.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: Why Are Blood Transfusions So Bad? by Femolacaster(m): 2:37pm On Sep 01, 2018
Hmmm....make I keep quiet!
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: Why Are Blood Transfusions So Bad? by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:39pm On Sep 01, 2018
Afam4eva:
The same question should be directed at all Christian and religious denominations. it seems to me that some of us who see ourselves as liberal Christians are not aware that to someone else, specifically atheist that we're just as delusional. So, i don't know what right we have to questions someone else's religious belief.

It is a religious belief and doesn't have to make sense to people who are not of the same belief. They have their reasons for doing what they do no matter how ludicrous it may sound .

hear hear wink

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: Why Are Blood Transfusions So Bad? by EzendiEgo1: 2:46pm On Sep 01, 2018
How is it my business
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: Why Are Blood Transfusions So Bad? by PUSSYBBQGRILLS(f): 2:55pm On Sep 01, 2018
Jehovah's Witnesses' literature teaches that those who respect life as a gift from God do not try to sustain life by taking in blood, even in an emergency.

Blood represents life and is sacred to God. After it has been removed from a creature, the only use of blood that God has authorized is for the atonement of sins. When a Christian abstains from blood, they are in effect expressing faith that only the shed blood of Jesus Christ can truly redeem them and save their life.

8 Likes

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: Why Are Blood Transfusions So Bad? by alBHAGDADI: 3:00pm On Sep 01, 2018
Acts 15:20

But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and
from blood.

Jehovah's witnesses are refusing blood transfusion simply because of the verses above. It's funny because the verse doesn't say anything about blood transfusion, it just says abstain from blood.

If JW say we should abstain from blood transfusion because of the verse, then how come they don't also say people should not even touch blood of animals they slaughter?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: Why Are Blood Transfusions So Bad? by chiommy123(f): 3:04pm On Sep 01, 2018
So we should continue losing family members cos of their erroneous believes why their overseaers take the same thing they teach against secretly

7 Likes

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: Why Are Blood Transfusions So Bad? by CAPSLOCKED: 3:07pm On Sep 01, 2018
Jehovah's Witnesses' literature teaches that those who respect life as a gift from God do not try to sustain life by taking in blood, even in an emergency.

Blood represents life and is sacred to God. After it has been removed from a creature, the only use of blood that God has authorized is for the atonement of sins. When a Christian abstains from blood, they are in effect expressing faith that only the shed blood of Jesus Christ can truly redeem them and save their life.

SO PEOPLE SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO DIE?

WE'RE AGAINST MANY RELIGIOUS BELIEFS BECAUSE OF RETARDÈD PRINCIPLES, AND FOOLISH SUPERSTITIOUS CLAIMS LIKE THIS.

Afam4eva:

It is a religious belief and doesn't have to make sense to people who are not of the same belief. They have their reasons for doing what they do no matter how ludicrous it may sound.

THANKS FOR THIS POST WHICH SUMS UP THE WHOLE IDEA OF RELIGIOUS BELIEFS.

SUMMARY:
SOMEHOW, SOME RELIGIOUS PEOPLE ARE DISGUSTED BY SOME RELIGIOUS PEOPLE'S BELIEFS.
SOMEHOW, SOME RELIGIOUS PEOPLE KNOW THAT MANY THINGS THAT MAKE UP THE BELIEF SYSTEM SOUNDS FOOLISH, LOOKS FOOLISH, AND MAKE NO SENSE.
SOMEONE, SOME RELIGIOUS PEOPLE FEEL THE NEED TO ASK CERTAIN QUESTIONS ABOUT WHAT THEY'RE REALLY BELIEVING BUT SOMEHOW, THEY DON'T BECAUSE IT'S AGAINST CERTAIN BELIEF SYSTEMS TO ASK QUESTIONS. SO THEY JUST MOVE ALONG LIKE SHEEP HOPING TO BE RIGHT WITH THE "TRUE GOD" AND ENJOY HEAVEN WHEN THEY DIE.

WHEEEW!

19 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: Why Are Blood Transfusions So Bad? by Seun(m): 3:16pm On Sep 01, 2018
fratermathy:
I am not a Jehovah's witness but I think it is their belief that blood is sacred and represents life
Okay...

and therefore should not be transfused.
Error. I fail to see how the sacredness of blood leads to the banning of transfusions. Is the blood of Christ not sacred? Yet Christians drink it regularly. Because it is sacred, they don’t drink it just anyhow, but prayerfully and thoughtfully. Why can’t the same be done for transfusions?

Since they believe it and it is ultimately their choice what to do with their lives, we have no choice than to respect their beliefs and wonder in amusement from a distance.
1) It’s not entirely a choice. Jehovah's Witnesses who opt out of the mandated religious suicide, by accepting blood transfusions, will be shunned by all the Witnesses in their lives. Their friends, parents, spouses and children will stop talking to them. They will be totally alone.
2) Sometimes the 'choice' is made by an authority figure like a parent or husband, and the person whose life is at risk doesn’t get to decide.
3) When religious beliefs are causing harm, of which the worst is death, we absolutely have the right and obligation to investigate them.

36 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: Why Are Blood Transfusions So Bad? by alBHAGDADI: 3:42pm On Sep 01, 2018
Seun:

Okay...

Error. I fail to see how the sacredness of blood leads to the banning of transfusions. Is the blood of Christ not sacred? Yet Christians drink it regularly. Because it is sacred, they don’t drink it just anyhow, but prayerfully and thoughtfully. Why can’t the same be done for transfusions?

1) It’s not entirely a choice. Jehovah's Witnesses who opt out of the mandated religious suicide by accepting blood transfusions will be shunned by all the Witnesses in their lives. Their friends, parents, spouses and children will stop talking to them. They will be totally alone.
2) Sometimes the 'choice' is made by an authority figure like a parent or husband, and the person whose life is at risk doesn’t get to decide.
3) When religious beliefs are causing harm, of which the worst is death, we absolutely have the right and obligation to investigate them.

If we claim to be followers of Christ who gave his blood for us, I see no reason why we shouldn't do the same for our friends.

John 15:13 King James Version (KJV)
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Leviticus 17:11

For the life of the flesh is in the blood:

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: Why Are Blood Transfusions So Bad? by Seun(m): 3:43pm On Sep 01, 2018
alBHAGDADI:
Acts 15:20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.
1. It’s clear that abstain from blood only refers to eating or drinking blood, since there were no blood transfusions at the time.
2. God never asked non-Jewish Christians to obey the above rules. It was something church leaders came up with for political reasons.

alBHAGDADI:
If we claim to be followers of Christ who gave his blood for us, I see no reason why we shouldn't do the same for our friends.
Well said! Still waiting for the Jehovah's Witnesses to show up.

8 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: Why Are Blood Transfusions So Bad? by fratermathy(m): 4:15pm On Sep 01, 2018
Seun:

Okay...

1) It’s not entirely a choice.Jehovah's Witnesses who opt out of the mandated religious suicide, by accepting blood transfusions, will be shunned by all the Witnesses in their lives. Their friends, parents, spouses and children will stop talking to them. They will be totally alone.

1. The emboldened first point above is the reason why many argue that Jehovah Witness operates like a cult where freewill does not exist. Regardless of overarching rules, members should be ultimately free to do what they want and even though the church may frown at what members choose to do, it has no right to make every member shun those who break its laws for their own wellbeing. At worst, it can bar members from membership in the church but it should end there. They shouldn't dictate how other members relate with barred members who break their rules. Christianity in general is regarded by many as the most liberal religion whose doctrines are open to positive interpretation as long as certain constants are in place. Jehovah Witness doesn't follow the liberality of Christianity and I am forced to opine that it should be classified as a religion of its own or at the very least, a sect (not a denomination).

2. Ditto.

3. Many countries, including Japan, China, Canada, USA, etc, have empowered medical personnel to override certain patient's wishes in cases of emergency. This discretion accorded to medics is mainly applicable in situations involving juveniles, teenagers, etc, and in instances where a spouse connives with the doctor/nurse to override the patient's wish. In extreme cases, doctors can get a court order overriding a patient's choice in the matter. Unfortunately, Nigeria doesn't have such policies and if, as a doctor, you force transfusion on a patient, you may be sued for it. The best we can do for Jehovah Witness members in this instance is to advocate for laws that can empower medical personnel, spouses, guardians, etc, to override the patient's wish in cases of medical emergencies where the patient has a clear chance of survival.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: Why Are Blood Transfusions So Bad? by alBHAGDADI: 4:36pm On Sep 01, 2018
Seun:

1. It’s clear that abstain from blood only refers to eating or drinking blood, since there were no blood transfusions at the time.
2. God never asked non-Jewish Christians to obey the above rules. It was something church leaders came up with for political reasons.

What JW are indirectly telling us is that if they were the good Samaritan that met that injured man in the parable told by Jesus, they won't help him because it will mean they will have to touch his blood while carrying him.

Acts 15:20
But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: Why Are Blood Transfusions So Bad? by Oneboypikin: 4:56pm On Sep 01, 2018
JWs would not face Issues like this? Never discuss it among themselves many do not even fully understand it
But Gossip, Fight, Judge Case Judge Others laugh at Ppl who are obviously Vulnerable emotionally and Physically, Health wise bunch of Fucktards
Wicked Useless Fucktards,

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: Why Are Blood Transfusions So Bad? by hakeem4(m): 4:58pm On Sep 01, 2018
alBHAGDADI:

John 15:13 King James Version (KJV)
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Leviticus 17:11

For the life of the flesh is in the blood:
This is well said, i have also wanted to ask this question, if jesus gave us his life and blood why cant j.w do the same since they behave like christ?

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: Why Are Blood Transfusions So Bad? by Evangkatsoulis: 4:59pm On Sep 01, 2018
Seun:

But of what use? J witnesses believe in the resurrection the new earth. So this topic is not as serious as you think.
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: Why Are Blood Transfusions So Bad? by Abee79(m): 5:16pm On Sep 01, 2018
With due respect, if anyone makes the conscious decision to opt not to benefit from any procedure or measure to save his/her own life in a life threatening emergency situation, regardless of the basis of that decision, (religious, political, emotional, economic, etc), THAT IS SUICIDE. Simple!

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: Why Are Blood Transfusions So Bad? by Hairyrapunzel: 5:44pm On Sep 01, 2018
PUSSYBBQGRILLS:

But how can a symbol become more important than the actual thing it represents?

Is it that symbols are to be taken more seriously than the things they represent?

For me its like saying the wedding band is more important than the marriage itself

5 Likes

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: Why Are Blood Transfusions So Bad? by Maamin(m): 5:47pm On Sep 01, 2018
Doesn't hold much water to me, if you ask me.

Blood transfusion shouldn't be seen as a sinful act. Our humanity should always come first in saving and preserving lives.

2 Likes

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: Why Are Blood Transfusions So Bad? by gmaribel(m): 5:48pm On Sep 01, 2018
There are convictions that cant be explained by logic.
In Daniel Chapter 3
Three Hebrews at the cost of thier lives defied a king becasue they did not want to eat poluted food. They could easily have preserved thier lives by rationalising but they did not.
Christians are commanded to abstain from blood just as the Jews were commanded not to eat pork etc.

It takes strong conviction and courage to keep a command especially when doing so could cost you your life

2 Likes

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: Why Are Blood Transfusions So Bad? by Hairyrapunzel: 5:54pm On Sep 01, 2018
gmaribel:
In Daniel Cahpter 3
Three Hebrews at the cost of thier lives defied a king becasue they did not want to eat poluted food. They could easily have preserved thier lives by rationalising but they did not.
Christians are commanded to abstain from blood just as the Jews were commanded not to eat pork etc.
Not Eating pork is not the same thing as refusing blood transfusion.
The Jews were also told not to eat blood but they don't reject blood transfusion. Life preservation comes first amongst the Jews. Refusing pork has never killed anyone while refusing blood transfusion has killed a lot of people even more than Jim Jones people's temple mass murder.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: Why Are Blood Transfusions So Bad? by oneolajire(m): 5:57pm On Sep 01, 2018
Seun, don't mind them, they love being stereotyped and zombied to belief anything sent to them by their Governing board. They have altered a lot of their teachings in the name of "new truth", they will still alter this cos they are never stable.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: Why Are Blood Transfusions So Bad? by alBHAGDADI: 6:00pm On Sep 01, 2018
gmaribel:
In Daniel Chapter 3

It takes strong conviction and courage to keep a command especially when doing so could cost you your life
The verse didn't say abstain from blood transfusion. If JW could stretch it to that extent, then I wonder why they touch the blood of chicken when they slaughter it, even the blood of fish.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: Why Are Blood Transfusions So Bad? by gmaribel(m): 6:08pm On Sep 01, 2018
alBHAGDADI:

The verse didn't say abstain from blood transfusion. If JW could stretch it to that extent, then I wonder why they touch the blood of chicken when they slaughter it, even the blood of fish.
Of course when animals are slaughtered the blood is poured out. Lev17:13
We are to abstain from taking blood and the reason was given Lev 17:11
Command still for Christians today Acts15:20,29
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: Why Are Blood Transfusions So Bad? by alBHAGDADI: 6:25pm On Sep 01, 2018
gmaribel:

Of course when animals are slaughtered the blood is poured out. Lev17:13
We are to abstain from taking blood and the reason was given Lev 17:11
Command still for Christians today Acts15:20,29

Clearly, the command is that humans should not eat the blood of any animal. This doesn't say we shouldn't engage in human blood transfusion. The passage was even talking about animal blood.

Leviticus 17:13-14

And whatsoever man there be of the children of Israel, or of the strangers that sojourn among you, which hunteth and catcheth any beast or fowl that may be eaten; he shall even pour out the blood thereof, and cover it with dust.
For it is the life of all flesh; the blood of it is for the life thereof: therefore I said unto the children of Israel, YE SHALL EAT THE BLOOD OF NO MANNER OF FLESH: for the life of all flesh is the blood thereof: whosoever eateth it shall be cut off.

The commandment in Acts 15 is still the same in Leviticus 17, and none of them speaks of blood transfusion. If you understand both verses in the same light, then they both refer to eating blood of animals, not blood transfusion.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: Why Are Blood Transfusions So Bad? by MetroBaba1(m): 8:38pm On Sep 01, 2018
Oga Seun, Direct Your Question To www.jw.org

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: Why Are Blood Transfusions So Bad? by tintingz(m): 8:52pm On Sep 01, 2018
So how does God wants people in need of blood to be treated since he hate blood transfusion, any treatment from the divine book?

It's either God say things without reasoning or JW are just ignorant and gullible.

1 Like

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: Why Are Blood Transfusions So Bad? by tintingz(m): 8:57pm On Sep 01, 2018
hakeem4:

This is well said, i have also wanted to ask this question, if jesus gave us his life and blood why cant j.w do the same since they behave like christ?
Because they know Jesus blood is imaginary.

2 Likes

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: Why Are Blood Transfusions So Bad? by hakeem4(m): 9:40pm On Sep 01, 2018
grin
tintingz:
Because they know Jesus blood is imaginary.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

About The High Rate Of People Luring Others Into Sex / Pastor Chris Okafor's Private Jet Is Chartered And Not Owned By Him - LIB / Why Did You Stop Going To Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.