Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,987 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:48 AM

Teach Yourself English Language - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Teach Yourself English Language (542 Views)

21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. / Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) / The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Teach Yourself English Language by gabsoft: 10:53am On Apr 21, 2017
The English Language is a dynamic language. It is a language that changes in grammatical structures and functions. Any serious learner of English must get a good dictionary to learn the:
Contextual meaning
Pronunciation
Transcription
Part of speech and
Usage of a word.
It is very important to say however that a first-hand-learner needs a tutor who will guide him through the basics of the language before adding the complex part of the language.
In this tutorial, i shall be focusing on the elementary aspects of English language.
Let me quickly add that the English language is broadly considered in six division in Nigeria Secondary Schools. Namely:
1. Phonics i.e Sounds
2. Grammar
3. Reading comprehension and summary
4. Vocabulary
5. Essay and letter writing
6. Literature
In this tutorial, i'll be starting with the phonics aspect. You are free to contribute, correct, ask questions or take any of the aspects mentioned above. Stay tuned...
Re: Teach Yourself English Language by Nobody: 12:52pm On Apr 21, 2017
I'm following religiously.
Re: Teach Yourself English Language by babyfaceafrica: 2:09pm On Apr 21, 2017
Waiting judiciously
Re: Teach Yourself English Language by gabsoft: 3:49pm On Apr 21, 2017
OK Mhiz Tenderly and Babyfaceafrica... Thanks for the interest. Loading...
Re: Teach Yourself English Language by gabsoft: 4:26pm On Apr 21, 2017
Now let's set the ball rolling...
As i said earlier, i shall be discussing phonics in this class. You need to understand that phonics deals with the sounds of English. Just like alphabets are letters of English. They are two different thing though learners confuse them together because of the semblance in some sounds with some alphabets.
Also, you need to know that there 49 sounds and 26 alphabets.
In this class, i'll list all the 49 sounds and give two examples of each sound. Here we go:
THE TWELVE PURE VOWELS
1. /I:/ sounds 'eee' as in bee, knee, feet...
2. /I/ sounds 'e' as in sit, pit, lip...
3. /e/ as in set, bed, keg...
4. /æ/ as in pat, lack, bat...
5. /a:/ as in part, bark, grass...
6. /ɔ/ as in pot, lot, top...
7. /ɔ:/ as in port, sort, caught...
8. /ʊ/ as in put, book, pull...
9. /u:/ as in pool, rude, move...
10. /ᴧ/ as in son, love, flood...
11. /3:/ as in shirt, girl, search...
12 /ǝ/ as in again, ago, doctor...
Number 6, 7, 10 and 12 corrected.
Let's have a

(1) (Reply)

Noun Student, Come In If You Want To Score 10 Out Of 10 In Your Tma / Whose Textbooks Should My Wards Read? / What Masters Course Can I Go For?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.