Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,300 members, 7,829,706 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:45 AM

Enough Of The 'Let's Go Fishing', Why Not 'Let's Go Problem Solving'? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Enough Of The 'Let's Go Fishing', Why Not 'Let's Go Problem Solving'? (23521 Views)

Do Not Let Guilt Rob You. Joy Is Not An Emotion. It Is A Choice. / Frank Edwards Was Live At RCCG Let's Go A Fishing / The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enough Of The 'Let's Go Fishing', Why Not 'Let's Go Problem Solving'? by mikolo80: 12:44am On Apr 30, 2017
HCpaul:

But we are talking about real world problems.

The above are either addiction or habitual acts and can only be stopped by discipline and by not indulging in them.

There is more to life than just doing good or bad.
Doing good is just to create a better society or environment that will harbor peaceful living.

Though am not justifying robbery but I think that its rise is as a result of societal factors.

People don't have job.... Won't they eat Especially when they have responsibilities like tithes and offering to meet up with in church on Sunday.

Just imagine if the number of mega churches and mosques we have in this country are all factories, industries, companies and big organizations, you wouldn't even bother to disturb God again every Sunday with repetitive demands and petitions.
leys be honest. That's not their job.
Re: Enough Of The 'Let's Go Fishing', Why Not 'Let's Go Problem Solving'? by mikolo80: 12:45am On Apr 30, 2017
2016v2017:
I weep.............

Where are Christian APC leaders?

"Where are the Christians who sold the Church? The Islamic agenda is being perfected. Prof Ishaq Oloyede, a prominent Islamic fanatic who said he was not aware Christians are being attacked and killed is now to head JAMB replacing Prof Ojerinde, a Baptist.
Four Muslims were not replaced, but left to continue. Out of the 17 offices, 9 new replacement are Muslims and 4 retained are Muslims. 13 out of 17 are now Muslims. NUC, Muslim, JAMB, Muslim; TETFUND , Muslim.
Where are those Christian leaders who sold the Church for a plate of porridge?
Where are those telling us Prof Yemi Osinbajo would stand for the Church being a Pastor?
Do they involve him in all these lopsided appointments in favour of the North and Muslims or not? Do we have Christians among the APC leaders? Does Odigie-Oyegun, the chairman of the ruling party belong to the Catholic church?
The fact that Buhari released these appointments the same day, the PUNCH Newspaper published an Editorial titled"Buhari's parochial appointments", a paper that endorsed his candidacy is a dirty slap on the nation.
To say the least, it is a corruption with immunity. Many are afraid and being intimidated by the security operatives. Have we become second class citizens in our own country?"
MY TAKE:
Sadly the answer to the question is "YES", Christians are now second class citizens in Nigeria. We warned our people but they wouldn't listen.
Nigerians said they wanted "change" and now they must live with it. Every Christian that supported President Buhari and the APC, including some of the most prominent Church leaders, should bow their heads in shame.
As long as this evil continues we will not remain silent and neither shall we be intimidated. No matter how hard they try Nigeria will NEVER be Islamised and neither will our faith be rubbished.
Rather than add to the injury sustained by fellow Christian soldiers in the battle of life through mockery and condemnation and the likes, help to support and aid the recovery of the wounded. You become weak and vulnerable each time a fellow Christian falls.
Pastors fighting pastors, churches fighting churches.
We call our Christian leaders to at least float a political party against the next coming election
Politics is dirty because we left it for dirty people. We must rise to do the needful and stop complaining.
Then with prayers, we would make it.
Pls forward these messages to ALL Christians known to you
what did those Christian leaders do for you? Keep chasing shadows
Re: Enough Of The 'Let's Go Fishing', Why Not 'Let's Go Problem Solving'? by Nukilia: 12:54am On Apr 30, 2017
grin grin grin grin @ OP you're in trouble o.

Who has done this to you?

I know you are not feeling fine.

Kindly hold your politicians responsible for the misfortune you're facing. Keep the church out of your predicaments. Shalom
Re: Enough Of The 'Let's Go Fishing', Why Not 'Let's Go Problem Solving'? by Johnrake69: 12:56am On Apr 30, 2017
SirJeffry:
There are no scammers in Nigeria today than churches. My annoyance is that they milk people unrepentantly even unemployed and underemployed members.

How can one help an unemployed relative with some amount of money to start a little business and all he does is to first go pay tithe. The devilish pastor accepted the tithe of a struggling-to-eat young man and someone expect me to step my foot in a church again

Bro churches in Nigeria are after their bottom line. I was at prayer city last month to meet up with a client that stays in that vicinity so I waited in from of prayer city not long I saw the church security guards with Toyota Hilux, inside the truck was a lady and the son with their belongings. Immediately they got to the gate they dropped the Lady and the son with their belongings telling them to leave.

Apparently, they have been there for awhile and they couldn't afford the motels inside the prayer city. So the security guards had to bungle them out. My own understanding was that they were trespassing the GO's place of business. Just like how a security guard in the bank will bungle out an individual with no intention of doing a transaction in the bank.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enough Of The 'Let's Go Fishing', Why Not 'Let's Go Problem Solving'? by Dare2Try(m): 1:21am On Apr 30, 2017
OP u tried so much but the bad news is that you are irrelevant, nonsense of the century, you can't defend your failed A.P.C government again and now you are shifting the blame to the church of God, Ndi ara
Re: Enough Of The 'Let's Go Fishing', Why Not 'Let's Go Problem Solving'? by tbams007: 1:39am On Apr 30, 2017
Mumu
Re: Enough Of The 'Let's Go Fishing', Why Not 'Let's Go Problem Solving'? by seguno2: 2:28am On Apr 30, 2017
izzou:
grin

Nice points by the op

But the major aim of establishing the church,even by Jesus Christ himself was to spread the gospel, not really to create jobs. Matthew 28:18-20

This is the responsibility of a sane government, not churches.

You can't blame PHCN for not giving us good roads when their job is to provide electricity

The flamboyant lifestyle of pastors these days calls for serious concern,as many are wolves in sheep clothing, but don't hold your church responsible for the rise in unemployment.

Hold your government responsible

opeaceo:
As much as I do not agree with Churches building parishes at every nook and cranny of the streets, it's the job of the government to provide the enabling environment for jobs to thrive and not the religious bodies.

In Nigeria, we leave the crux of the matter and focus on the non essentials. The rants should be directed at the government.

The government is protected by the religious leaders- imams, pastors and priests.
Focus should be on both the religious and political leaders.

1 Like

Re: Enough Of The 'Let's Go Fishing', Why Not 'Let's Go Problem Solving'? by Nobody: 3:06am On Apr 30, 2017
izzou:
grin

Nice points by the op

But the major aim of establishing the church,even by Jesus Christ himself was to spread the gospel, not really to create jobs. Matthew 28:18-20

You can't blame PHCN for not giving us good roads when their job is to provide electricity

The flamboyant lifestyle of pastors these days calls for serious concern,as many are wolves in sheep clothing, but don't hold your church responsible for the rise in unemployment.

Creating job is not government responsibility. They are just to create the enabling environment for private sector to create jobs. All mark needed was Internet connection and a computer to create Facebook. If he was busy praying, I guarantee you we will never have Facebook.

The church, is a problem in the sense that they are brainwashing youth that continues prayers, tithe paying and offering bring success. Asians have so far proved that to be a big lie.

Until we Nigerians realize prayer is indeed not in the success equation we will continue to be known as third world country.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Enough Of The 'Let's Go Fishing', Why Not 'Let's Go Problem Solving'? by Kay25(m): 3:11am On Apr 30, 2017
Am happy one in a million in the population of nigeria is quite reasonable enough to make this post..this is so far the best post i ve ever seen on nairaland not the gossips dey do everyday.to u who made dis post i can feel what feel u just spoke my mind gbam

2 Likes

Re: Enough Of The 'Let's Go Fishing', Why Not 'Let's Go Problem Solving'? by EagleNest(m): 3:15am On Apr 30, 2017
izzou:
grin

Nice points by the op

Well said. Correct! I wonder what govt were actually set up to do if citizens prefer not to hold them responsible.

1 Like

Re: Enough Of The 'Let's Go Fishing', Why Not 'Let's Go Problem Solving'? by anitapreeti(f): 3:16am On Apr 30, 2017
Sibe007:
Nigeria: Just recently I was handed a flyer, a church was planning to establish another branch to add to the already many existing ones in that area.

They tagged the campaign, Lets-go-a-fishing

I personally feel, it is enough. Especially where you already have branches saturated and considering that making more Religious centers wouldnt solve our enormous problems that need clear cut practical solutions.

Please when will they start the campaign for

Lets-start-factories

Lets-create-jobs

People need JOBS...

If they are unemployed, they would not have enough to give (offerings and the Mandatory one), If people are unemployed, you will all suffer from area boys and road side robbers harrassing your members.

How is your Spiritual Practice (Religious activities) making the community and society better.

After all your singing, dancing, praying, preaching.....

How is it making any difference. What problems are those activities solving.

Do you like the way Nigeria is? Is this really okay?

Are you using all these to shy away from certain responsibilities?

Newton's first law of motion - Nothing will change until you act and things will remain the same until a force makes it do otherwise.

Trash!!

What value have you added to your neighborhood? A typical Nigerian, mouth power! undecided

1 Like

Re: Enough Of The 'Let's Go Fishing', Why Not 'Let's Go Problem Solving'? by anitapreeti(f): 3:19am On Apr 30, 2017
otemanuduno:
-Yes! Let's go a-doing
-Let's go a-performing!
-Let's go a- achieving!
-Then we shall be a great nation.

Let's go a-researching
Let's go a-thinking
Let's go a-helping
Then we shall become the winners

-Let's go a-refusing
To be many a-sheep
Let's go a-trying
Then we shall be the strongest.

Cc:KingEbukasBlog, Hahn, HopefulLandlord, Wilgrea7, Realmindz

Why didn't you 'go a thinking' before coming to type that.
It begins with you!!

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Enough Of The 'Let's Go Fishing', Why Not 'Let's Go Problem Solving'? by Gibrima1: 3:31am On Apr 30, 2017
While it is not a bad line of thought in and of itself, the church just like a court was established for certain core purposes; and the core purpose for which God established churches in to reconcile men to himself. And love of God inspired by the Holy Spirit in the heart of men is the vehicle with which this will be achieved.

Why do people not ask courts or dancehalls/clubs to engage in research just just the way OP is asking the church to?

1 Like

Re: Enough Of The 'Let's Go Fishing', Why Not 'Let's Go Problem Solving'? by seguno2: 3:55am On Apr 30, 2017
EagleNest:
Well said. Correct! I wonder what govt were actually set up to do if citizens prefer not to hold them responsible.

Please show us how the churches and mosques are helping the citizens to hold the government responsible.
Thanks
Re: Enough Of The 'Let's Go Fishing', Why Not 'Let's Go Problem Solving'? by seguno2: 3:56am On Apr 30, 2017
Gibrima1:
While it is not a bad line of thought in and of itself, the church just like a court was established for certain core purposes; and the core purpose for which God established churches in to reconcile men to himself. And love of God inspired by the Holy Spirit in the heart of men is the vehicle with which this will be achieved.

Why do people not ask courts or dancehalls/clubs to engage in research just just the way OP is asking the church to?

The OP is not asking the church to directly engage in research but to encourage people to do so.

2 Likes

Re: Enough Of The 'Let's Go Fishing', Why Not 'Let's Go Problem Solving'? by seguno2: 3:58am On Apr 30, 2017
anitapreeti:
Trash!!

What value have you added to your neighborhood? A typical Nigerian, mouth power! undecided

Speaking about yourself from experience- mouth power?
You should not assume that everyone is like you.

1 Like

Re: Enough Of The 'Let's Go Fishing', Why Not 'Let's Go Problem Solving'? by godquality: 4:38am On Apr 30, 2017
OP you are looking at the big pic that's why. Try look at the small pic. They are going fishing because they need new members who will in turn pay thithes and Thanksgiving and other levies imposed on the already suffering masses whose greatest sins are their faith and believe that soon their call will be answered. So opening new branches will guarantee a pastor a job, as well as some other "workers of the church" some income.

On a serious note though, i can't agree more with the OP. We have more churches than pure water sachet on the streets. What's the rational of having 5 different churches​ in one Street?. Are they not serving the same God? What kind of competition are they creating for themselves? Look at the same streets, you will never count up to 5 similar biz on a street compared to a church.. but still we are the most wicked self centered hypocrites race the world know.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enough Of The 'Let's Go Fishing', Why Not 'Let's Go Problem Solving'? by larrybee2017(f): 4:57am On Apr 30, 2017
HCpaul:

But we are talking about real world problems.

The above are either addiction or habitual acts and can only be stopped by discipline and by not indulging in them.

There is more to life than just doing good or bad.
Doing good is just to create a better society or environment that will harbor peaceful living.

Though am not justifying robbery but I think that its rise is as a result of societal factors.

People don't have job.... Won't they eat Especially when they have responsibilities like tithes and offering to meet up with in church on Sunday.

Just imagine if the number of mega churches and mosques we have in this country are all factories, industries, companies and big organizations, you wouldn't even bother to disturb God again every Sunday with repetitive demands and petitions.
O God of heaven this one thing I ask of thee for this fellow, grant him ABI na her grace to accept those things he/she cannot change. The ability to work so hard and create jobs for millions of Nigerian whose government spend without thinking and store up wealth in grave yard. Amen.
If bill gate and others like him are so rich, giving to Africa and the world at large, why are people sleeping on the street of New York? Reasoning ni o,may God grant to every youth the ability to stand and take up the challenge and stop written unsolicited script like Otobo. Amen. May heaven open it good treasure on is to see that your destiny is in your hands and what you make of it is your headache. Grace to understand that even if we share the wealth of the world to people MANY WILL STILL REMAIN POOR!!!
Poverty mentality that makes a youth think someone must be responsible for his/her feeding. The mentality that makes them hail an official and say thank you sir, for spending their tax payer money on skirt.
May heaven move everyone from this mentality to one that makes you know that in the USA,at 18, your mum and pastor no longer responsible for you. Amen,amen and amen
Re: Enough Of The 'Let's Go Fishing', Why Not 'Let's Go Problem Solving'? by MakeADifference: 5:15am On Apr 30, 2017
What problems does churches solve?

1. What problems does marriage solve?
2. What problems does kings solve?
3. What problems does owambe weddings solve?
4. What problems does graduation solve?
5. What problems does music solve

I can go on and on.

You won't be the first or last person to be anti-Christian. Even the smartest of them always find it easy being stupid.

Sibe007:

Must be planted?

What problems does churches solve in Nigeria seeing the amount of time and resources Nigerians expend.
Re: Enough Of The 'Let's Go Fishing', Why Not 'Let's Go Problem Solving'? by MakeADifference: 5:18am On Apr 30, 2017
Am starting with the man in the mirror
Am asking him to change his ways
No message could be any clearer
If you wanna make the world a better place,
Take a look at yourself and be the change

godquality:
OP you are looking at the big pic that's why. Try look at the small pic. They are going fishing because they need new members who will in turn pay thithes and Thanksgiving and other levies imposed on the already suffering masses whose greatest sins are their faith and believe that soon their call will be answered. So opening new branches will guarantee a pastor a job, as well as some other "workers of the church" some income.

On a serious note though, i can't agree more with the OP. We have more churches than pure water sachet on the streets. What's the rational of having 5 different churches​ in one Street?. Are they not serving the same God? What kind of competition are they creating for themselves? Look at the same streets, you will never count up to 5 similar biz on a street compared to a church.. but still we are the most wicked self centered hypocrites race the world know.

1 Like

Re: Enough Of The 'Let's Go Fishing', Why Not 'Let's Go Problem Solving'? by MakeADifference: 5:21am On Apr 30, 2017
Don't stress over them. When life visits to humble all these folks, I wonder what will be their balance.

anitapreeti:

Trash!!

Re: Enough Of The 'Let's Go Fishing', Why Not 'Let's Go Problem Solving'? by emi14: 5:21am On Apr 30, 2017
Biblical interpretations is not always literal. Fishing is farming . At the time of Peter fishing was regarded as one of the highest occupation where young people from Nazareth migrates to Galilee for fishing settlement because Nazareth has no sea and not fertile.
However, if you're established fisherman like Peter you are successful.
Fishing in this context comprises of good employment and creation of job for unemployed. Jesus actually blessed the work of their hands.
" I will make you fishers of men" means difficult to fish and difficult to convert people to christian faith. Happy Sunday.
Re: Enough Of The 'Let's Go Fishing', Why Not 'Let's Go Problem Solving'? by felixomor: 5:25am On Apr 30, 2017
anitapreeti:

Why didn't you 'go a thinking' before coming to type that.
It begins with you!!

GBAM
Re: Enough Of The 'Let's Go Fishing', Why Not 'Let's Go Problem Solving'? by godquality: 5:27am On Apr 30, 2017
MakeADifference:
Am starting with the man in the mirror
Am asking him to change his ways
No message could be any clearer
If you wanna make the world a better place,
Take a look at yourself and be the change
Sorry bro what are you blabbing about? I don't have a mirror and i don't intend to make the world a better place. Am just passing by and you still making no sense. No pun intended.
Re: Enough Of The 'Let's Go Fishing', Why Not 'Let's Go Problem Solving'? by Abusombody: 5:49am On Apr 30, 2017
On a sunday morning may God have mercy on you all
Re: Enough Of The 'Let's Go Fishing', Why Not 'Let's Go Problem Solving'? by mpowa(m): 5:58am On Apr 30, 2017
Johnrake69:

Good bless you for this thread. I have always maintained that there is a conspiracy between our religious leaders, traditional rulers and our politicians. And they all have something in common. Intellectual laziness. It's easier to collect tithe and offering than to set up factories and employ people.

It's shameful that as a nation we can't feed ourselves but who cares? Sunday morning churches are filled up and Africans are praying and shouting sweet Hallelujah forgetting that prayer is not in the success equation but in the revelation equation. Good roads, electricity, jobs etc only comes as a result of sound decision.

But this kind of thinking don't make sense. What's Church's business with 'Intellectual Laziness' are they supposed to leave the spiritual mission they're giving now, to start intellectual development? If churches are spreading more than factories and industries, it's a challenge to you. It means they are EXCELLENT in what they're doing, if you're excelling in yours, maybe they won't but that factory, maybe that other place would have been an industry.

Now that you're so concerned about 'intellect', even the areas they've ventured to help (Universities), Thou pricey but at least those who have the money gets high quality education, but you guys have condemned them to hell. Imagine they start venturing to other things - It will be an unstoppable flow of attack.

IT simple, do something with your own life. Society has dynamics, if everyone is doing what they should do, there will be balance. If I become a pastor today. Every day will be LET'S GO A FISHING, because that's my mission, I'm called to spiritual things. I'm just being good at my job.
Re: Enough Of The 'Let's Go Fishing', Why Not 'Let's Go Problem Solving'? by femi4: 6:17am On Apr 30, 2017
Sibe007:
Nigeria: Just recently I was handed a flyer, a church was planning to establish another branch to add to the already many existing ones in that area.

I personally feel, it is enough. Especially where you already have branches saturated and considering that making more Religious centers wouldnt solve our enormous problems that need clear cut practical solutions.

Lets-start-factories

Lets-create-jobs

People need JOBS...

If they are unemployed, they would not have enough to give (offerings and the Mandatory one), If people are unemployed, you will all suffer from area boys and road side robbers harrassing your members.

How is your Spiritual Practice (Religious activities) making the community and society better.

Newton's first law of motion - Nothing will change until you act and things will remain the same until a force makes it do otherwise.
let's go a fishing should be about winning souls for Christ and not planting churches. Seems they ve moved away from the original motive.

When you win soul for Christ, you don't force them to attend your Church.

2 Likes

Re: Enough Of The 'Let's Go Fishing', Why Not 'Let's Go Problem Solving'? by izzou(m): 6:38am On Apr 30, 2017
blueseacats:
Creating job is not government responsibility. They are just to create the enabling environment for private sector to create jobs. All mark needed was Internet connection and a computer to create Facebook. If he was busy praying, I guarantee you we will never have Facebook.

The church, is a problem in the sense that they are brainwashing youth that continues prayers, tithe paying and offering bring success. Asians have so far proved that to be a big lie.

Until we Nigerians realize prayer is indeed not in the success equation we will continue to be known as third world country.

If the Asians have proved that we can be developed and grow our economy without any religion or outside religion, why then are you depending on religion for yours? Why not tow the same path with them?

I don't know whether you believe in God,but Christianity and Islam never encouraged laziness. You claimed Mark Zuckerberg founded Facebook with only the Internet and a computer. But have you forgotten that the computer needs power? Did you realize that the Internet facilities abroad are efficient and affordable than ours. In some countries, Internet is a fundamental human right.

No matter how successful a church, school,mosque or hospital becomes,it will still be expected to serve it's purpose. You don't compel a hospital to fix the roads around their vicinity because they are successful. Yes,they could do it,but it isn't their job

2 Likes

Re: Enough Of The 'Let's Go Fishing', Why Not 'Let's Go Problem Solving'? by izzou(m): 6:41am On Apr 30, 2017
seguno2:

The government is protected by the religious leaders- imams, pastors and priests.
Focus should be on both the religious and political leaders.

Alright
Re: Enough Of The 'Let's Go Fishing', Why Not 'Let's Go Problem Solving'? by Kitanadex(m): 6:44am On Apr 30, 2017
Sibe007:

Lets-start-factories

Lets-create-jobs

People need JOBS...

It's either the opp is ignorant or economical with the truth, the church has done a lot to alleviate poverty in this country, there are many people in the payroll of the churches, hundreds of thousands of the country get their living through the church, the church gives bursary to students, the church gives scholarships to students, helps the widows, the fatherless, the needy, that's the purpose of welfare departments in churches. Where the government has failed the church has taken over. But above all, the purpose of the church is to propagate the gospel of our Lord JESUS CHRIST. And finally, if you have great ideas why not start your own rather than criticize those doing great things.
Re: Enough Of The 'Let's Go Fishing', Why Not 'Let's Go Problem Solving'? by Nobody: 6:51am On Apr 30, 2017
Vince77:
This is why I like atheists. Always thinking properly.

I wish I have a friend who is an atheist.

Anyone who uses his brain will put forth a convincing argument, no matter his personal worldview.

Maybe you haven't met "atheists" who adopt that worldview just for the sake of being contrarian.

They can be even more blindly fanatical than the "fishers" Sibe007 talks about.

1 Like

Re: Enough Of The 'Let's Go Fishing', Why Not 'Let's Go Problem Solving'? by curvilicious: 7:06am On Apr 30, 2017
Sibe007:

Lets-start-factories

Lets-create-jobs

People need JOBS...

Guy, u nailed it!
I wish this will get to G.O ooo
I wish

We need jobs not churches o
Churches are everywhere yet, things are going for the worse.
ENOUGH OF CHURCHES

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Evangelist Mike Bamiloye: I Used To Steal & Pick The Pockets At The Age Of 7 & 8 / Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? / Where Do You Stand With Illuminati Theories?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.