Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,112 members, 7,811,129 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:21 AM

Why Call Your Pastor 'daddy' And Your Own Daddy 'popsy'? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Call Your Pastor 'daddy' And Your Own Daddy 'popsy'? (4761 Views)

Imagine You Own This Ride And Your Pastor Asked You To Sow A Seed With It / Daddy And Mummy Church Syndrome / Post A Comment From Your Pastor That Is Worthy Of Quote (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Call Your Pastor 'daddy' And Your Own Daddy 'popsy'? by Akindolu(m): 12:21pm On Jan 04, 2010
misplaced religious tendencies
Re: Why Call Your Pastor 'daddy' And Your Own Daddy 'popsy'? by KunleOshob(m): 4:00pm On Jan 04, 2010
Calling a preacher, pastor or any man that claims he is a man of God daddy is against the direct teachings of our lord Jesus Christ who warned seriously against it. Unfortunately the despicable act was tarted by the catholic church who officially address their clergy men as "father". This Idolatory as now been popularized by the deluded Nigerian penterascal movement who now address their pastors and their wives as Daddy and Mummy and some of them even take offence if you address them otherwise, i really wonder atimes if these clowns are using the same bible as the rest of us. Here is what Jesus as to say on the issue of calling preachers daddy[father]

Matthew 23:8-9:
8But you are not to be called rabbi (teacher), for you have one Teacher and you are all brothers.
9And do not call anyone [in the church] on earth father, for you have one Father, Who is in heaven.

Amplified Bible (AMP)
Re: Why Call Your Pastor 'daddy' And Your Own Daddy 'popsy'? by Tonyet1(m): 5:45pm On Jan 04, 2010
KunleOshod,

you are a bushman, what do you know cheesy cheesy wink

AB (aramaic) means earthly Father (daddy)

ABBA (Aramaic) means heavenly Father (God)

so what Jesus said there was that you should not reverence "AB" as "ABBA" for we have only one "ABBA"

this is 2010 go spend sometime with the bible it will help you, you are too fast to draw a conclusion
Re: Why Call Your Pastor 'daddy' And Your Own Daddy 'popsy'? by chiogo(f): 8:13pm On Jan 04, 2010
LOL, it's true though.

Daddy coo Grandpa nee. grin grin
Re: Why Call Your Pastor 'daddy' And Your Own Daddy 'popsy'? by PastorAIO: 8:14pm On Jan 04, 2010
The word אבא ’abba in Aramaic corresponds to the emphatic or definite form of אב ’av, literally meaning “the father,” or “O Father.” It was the intimate name used by children for their fathers and combines some of the intimacy of the English word “papa” while retaining the dignity of the word “father,” being both informal and yet respectful. It was, therefore, an endearing form of address rather than a title and was among the first words a child learned to speak.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ab_(Semitic)

@Tonye-T
Why are you lying?  Who told you that Abba means only heavenly father?  Either you are misinformed or you are a wilful liar and a rogue.  

Now, I am not an aramaic scholar, but luckily we live in an information age and I can easily research things.
I am quite certain that you are not an aramaic scholar either but I don't understand why you will not avail yourself of the technologies available to us all.   Furthermore I also do not understand why you try to pass yourself off as being more knowledgeable about stuff, eg by saying things like "you are a bushman, what do you know".
Tonye-t:

KunleOshod,

you are a bushman, what do you know

AB (aramaic) means earthly Father (daddy)

ABBA (Aramaic) means heavenly Father (God)

so what Jesus said there was that you should not reverence "AB" as "ABBA" for we have only one "ABBA"

this is 2010 go spend sometime with the bible it will help you, you are too fast to draw a conclusion

Are you saying that in an attempt to intimidate him in the hope that he will not then go and research into the lies that you have told here.  What a pathetic gimmick!  
You're trying to pass yourself off as having superior biblical knowledge but in fact you are nothing but a clown.
Re: Why Call Your Pastor 'daddy' And Your Own Daddy 'popsy'? by JeSoul(f): 8:22pm On Jan 04, 2010
Daddy ehm I mean Pastor AIO,

gracias for the quick research. Tonye what say ye? (maybe I shouldn't have encouraged you to post outside of tithing topics afterall grin)
Re: Why Call Your Pastor 'daddy' And Your Own Daddy 'popsy'? by AKO1(m): 9:51pm On Jan 04, 2010
Daddy AIO, sounds nice cool cool tongue

My Daddy happens to be my popsy so no wahala cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Call Your Pastor 'daddy' And Your Own Daddy 'popsy'? by Nobody: 12:30am On Jan 05, 2010
A_K_O:

Daddy AIO, sounds nice cool cool tongue

My Daddy happens to be my popsy so no wahala cheesy cheesy cheesy
pls i like to speak with u
Re: Why Call Your Pastor 'daddy' And Your Own Daddy 'popsy'? by Zikkyy(m): 8:32am On Jan 05, 2010
Pastor AIO:

I am quite certain that you are not an aramaic scholar either but I don't understand why you will not avail yourself of the technologies available to us all.

Tonye-t prefers the old (archeological) approach of digging for scrolls grin grin grin
Re: Why Call Your Pastor 'daddy' And Your Own Daddy 'popsy'? by afiq(m): 9:03am On Jan 05, 2010
Stop the blame game. Kunle got a point and so does tonye t. As Christian we should not misused God's words and scape goating for something we dont understand
Re: Why Call Your Pastor 'daddy' And Your Own Daddy 'popsy'? by KunleOshob(m): 9:14am On Jan 05, 2010
afiq:

Stop the blame game. Kunle got a point and so does tonye t. As Christian we should not misused God's words and scape goating for something we dont understand

So what point does tonye-twister have now that it has been clearly established that in his usual character he twisted scriptures to arrive at his point.
Re: Why Call Your Pastor 'daddy' And Your Own Daddy 'popsy'? by Tonyet1(m): 10:39am On Jan 05, 2010
Pastor AIO:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ab_(Semitic)

@Tonye-T
Why are you lying?  Who told you that Abba means only heavenly father?  Either you are misinformed or you are a wilful liar and a rogue. 

Now, I am not an aramaic scholar, but luckily we live in an information age and I can easily research things.
I am quite certain that you are not an aramaic scholar either but I don't understand why you will not avail yourself of the technologies available to us all.   Furthermore I also do not understand why you try to pass yourself off as being more knowledgeable about stuff, eg by saying things like "you are a bushman, what do you know".
Are you saying that in an attempt to intimidate him in the hope that he will not then go and research into the lies that you have told here.  What a pathetic gimmick! 
You're trying to pass yourself off as having superior biblical knowledge but in fact you are nothing but a clown. 

And Pastor AIO, your eloquent script above has not answered the question so why the ranting at least the best you can do is post you technological reasearch for all to see and learn smiley smiley, and to the yabbies pls be kind to know that i do it so often to KunleOshod i can even quote threads we make fun of each other and they are nothing personal nor straits of boast and arrogance like you are thinking and at least he understands how we relate maybe the reason for his silence and your outburst my brotherwink wink cheesy cheesy (nothing personal)
Re: Why Call Your Pastor 'daddy' And Your Own Daddy 'popsy'? by Tonyet1(m): 10:45am On Jan 05, 2010
JeSoul:

Daddy ehm I mean Pastor AIO,

gracias for the quick research. Tonye what say ye? (maybe I shouldn't have encouraged you to post outside of tithing topics afterall grin)

Jesoul, three gestures for ya angry grin cheesy dont worry we are in this tithing thing together or aint we? cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Call Your Pastor 'daddy' And Your Own Daddy 'popsy'? by Tonyet1(m): 10:47am On Jan 05, 2010
Zikkyy:

Tonye-t prefers the old (archeological) approach of digging for scrolls grin grin grin

ancient scrolls you mean? cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Call Your Pastor 'daddy' And Your Own Daddy 'popsy'? by PastorAIO: 10:52am On Jan 05, 2010
Tonye-t:

And Pastor AIO, your eloquent script above has not answered the question so why the ranting at least the best you can do is post you technological reasearch for all to see and learn smiley smiley, and to the yabbies pls be kind to know that i do it so often to KunleOshod i can even quote threads we make fun of each other and they are nothing personal nor straits of boast and arrogance like you are thinking and at least he understands how we relate maybe the reason for his silence and your outburst my brotherwink wink cheesy cheesy (nothing personal)

Why are you winking at me? Abi something enter ya eye? angry

For your information I'm not gay and my post was not addressed to answering the question which is the title of this thread but rather to answer your assertion that Abba only means heavenly father.
Re: Why Call Your Pastor 'daddy' And Your Own Daddy 'popsy'? by Tonyet1(m): 11:05am On Jan 05, 2010
Pastor AIO:

Why are you winking at me? For your information I'm not gay

*shakes head in pity* such word from a self acclaimed pastor doesnt denote maturity, like its said " you never know some folks until you meet them" so glad i am knowing who you are as against what i thought you were *i'll sieze to reply you furthermore* m disappointed! undecided undecided
Re: Why Call Your Pastor 'daddy' And Your Own Daddy 'popsy'? by PastorAIO: 11:17am On Jan 05, 2010
Tonye-t:

*shakes head in pity* such word from a self acclaimed pastor doesnt denote maturity, like its said " you never know some folks until you meet them" so glad i am knowing who you are as against what i thought you were *i'll sieze to reply you furthermore* m disappointed! undecided undecided

I wonder what it is that you thought I was before that was so elevated that you have now plunged headlong into disappointment. If I recall, this is the first response that you ever gave to any of my posts.

Tonye-t:

And to you Pastor AIO,

i think i'll have more of your time by morrow, so you'll not be parading this place with fake and daft notions. until then i say Happy 2010 embarassed embarassed

I don't know how I've disappointed your expectation of 'fake and daft notions'. Unless I've made you revise it upward.

No, I believe that you were winking in an attempt to save face, but there shall be no face saving for wicked scammers that are preying on the innnocent souls of my fellow countrymen. Nothing short of a repentance will do. Then you can wink at me all you want, we can even blow kisses to each other. grin
Re: Why Call Your Pastor 'daddy' And Your Own Daddy 'popsy'? by lawrence83: 1:04pm On Jan 05, 2010
I dont call any Pastor Daddy and i will never, but i call my own father:Pman, popman, oldboy,oldman and baba ibeji, never will call my fada popsy cool cool
Re: Why Call Your Pastor 'daddy' And Your Own Daddy 'popsy'? by aletheia(m): 2:01pm On Jan 05, 2010
Tonye-t:

Notice how no sooner Tonye-t's twisting of scriptures and faux scholarship is exposed than he beats a retreat.
Re: Why Call Your Pastor 'daddy' And Your Own Daddy 'popsy'? by No2Atheism(m): 7:12pm On Jan 05, 2010
@topic

As messed up as I am  lipsrsealed, I am still grateful that I have never been one to be comfortable with sucking up to people in the religious sense . . . hence the idea of calling people "Daddy", "Mummy" has always been something that does not come naturally for me . . .and i am glad it does not.

Personally I do not agree with the whole idea of Daddy [/b]or [b]Mummy . . .considering that even the Messiah Himself said: Call No Man Father . . .

Hence from the biblical perspective . . . one is already stretching it sef with the Biological Father thingy . . .to now go to the level of calling other people Daddy and Mummy is just not it at all ,
Re: Why Call Your Pastor 'daddy' And Your Own Daddy 'popsy'? by dwonder(m): 5:15am On Jan 06, 2010
Please read and note the context of Matthew 23:1-12. Jesus begins speaking about the Pharisees, who were a prominent sect of Judaism. They were legalists, sticklers for observance of every detail of the Mosaic Law. They liked to dress and act in such a way as to call attention to themselves. Their religion was one of ostentation—their style of clothing, their principal places at meals, their front seats in the synagogues, and their titles of honor. They even claimed greater respect than that which was given parents. They wanted to be called father. [b]However, Jesus shows that all his followers are equal as God’s children. [/b]Any title that suggests the opposite is a haughty usurpation of something that belongs to God. Thus, Jesus forbids the use of the word “father” as a title of honor in a religious sense. Jesus insists that his followers have only one Father in the faith, Jehovah.

Is it not clear that many clergymen are standing on ‘holy ground’ reserved for God and his Son, and that much reverence is diverted from them to imperfect men? True Christians today avoid using flattering religious titles, and they avoid the practice of setting men on ecclesiastical pedestals. Among Jehovah’s Witnesses the only form of address for ministers is “brother.” (2 Peter 3:15) That is in harmony with what Jesus said: “You are all brothers.”—Matthew 23:8, NJB.
Re: Why Call Your Pastor 'daddy' And Your Own Daddy 'popsy'? by dwonder(m): 5:29am On Jan 06, 2010
[b]“Let me not, please, show partiality to a man; and on an earthling man I shall not bestow a title; for I certainly do not know how I can bestow a title; easily my Maker would carry me away.” (Job 32:21, 22) [/b]Are we to conclude from this that it is wrong to use titles when addressing men? Or, is the use of titles appropriate under certain circumstances?

It should be noted that Elihu associated the bestowing of a title with the showing of partiality. In his comments to Job, therefore, he did not resort to any form of flattery. Nor did he permit the person of the afflicted Job to sway what he said. Elihu observed the principle of the Law that was later given to Israel: “As for the lowly one, you must not show preference in a controversy of his.” (Ex. 23:3)

Elihu’s example well illustrates that it would be wrong to originate flattering titles. Such partial treatment results in acting unjustly and incurs God’s disfavor.

Since the Christian congregation is an “association of brothers,” any title that elevates one Christian above another would be totally out of place. (1 Pet. 2:17)

If professing Christians seek to be addressed by such titles as “Doctor of Divinity,” “Father,” “Reverend” "Daddy" and the like, this is, of course, something for which they will have to answer to God. It certainly does not oblige others to address them as such. Those who take Jesus’ words seriously would, in fact, refuse to do so. They would not want to give the impression that they are in any way upholding the use of unscriptural titles.
Re: Why Call Your Pastor 'daddy' And Your Own Daddy 'popsy'? by KunleOshob(m): 9:15am On Jan 06, 2010
Despite all the revelations on this thread that calling religious leaders "father" is against the direct teachings of christ, our catholic brethen would still continue to call their priests father and our penterascals would also continue to call their pastors daddy. Sometimes i wonder who is more important to them, their "men of God" or God himself.
Re: Why Call Your Pastor 'daddy' And Your Own Daddy 'popsy'? by kolaoloye(m): 9:25am On Jan 06, 2010
Bible says you should give honor unto whom is due.
Re: Why Call Your Pastor 'daddy' And Your Own Daddy 'popsy'? by KunleOshob(m): 10:05am On Jan 06, 2010
kola oloye:

Bible says you should give honor unto whom is due.

So does that include going against the direct teaching of the master himself and calling religous leaders father or daddy. That apart before God we are all equal no special honour is due to any man whether pastor, priest, bishop or what ever designation they ascribe to themselves
Re: Why Call Your Pastor 'daddy' And Your Own Daddy 'popsy'? by ogajim(m): 4:43pm On Jan 06, 2010
God is the one and only TRUE father Christians have, a distant second is our biological. To call anyone else father is PLAIN WRONG.
Re: Why Call Your Pastor 'daddy' And Your Own Daddy 'popsy'? by ancel(m): 5:11pm On Jan 06, 2010
@Topic: I don't do that stuff. The matter of the heart is the heart of the matter: God is more concerned about how you VIEW that "Daddy" figure with respect to God. Some people worship their pastors as infallible, forgetting that Jesus is the Shepherd, and the Pastors are simply the earth where the lush green grass (the Word) grows. Ignorant peccant sheep, they eat the lush grass and they think the earth is their shepherd, whereas a good shepherd will direct the sheep to a special green pasture (maybe even cultivated specially by himself). That pastor-worship thing is a very big problem, I think.

@Pastor AIO: Thanks for the clarification as usual, I was going to say that when I saw Tonye-T's post. I really respect you, sir! Always unassuming but when you have hard facts, you lay them bare. Keep it up.

@Tonye-T: Maybe you meant well when you posted, but it appears you have been misinformed.
Re: Why Call Your Pastor 'daddy' And Your Own Daddy 'popsy'? by kolaoloye(m): 11:29am On Jan 07, 2010
KunleOshob:

So does that include going against the direct teaching of the master himself and calling religous leaders father or daddy.That apart before God we are all equal no special honour is due to any man whether pastor, priest, bishop or what ever designation they ascribe to themselves

Ephesians 6:1-3

Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.
2"Honor your father and mother"—which is the first commandment with a promise—
3"that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.

I know some people worship their pastors which is wrong but my point is that
they ( pastors, bishops etc) also deserve our respect as we do to our biological parents.
Re: Why Call Your Pastor 'daddy' And Your Own Daddy 'popsy'? by KunleOshob(m): 12:07pm On Jan 07, 2010
kola oloye:

Ephesians 6:1-3

Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.
2"Honor your father and mother"—which is the first commandment with a promise—
3"that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.

I know some people worship their pastors which is wrong but my point is that
they ( pastors, bishops etc) also deserve our respect as we do to our biological parents.

Of course the genuine ones amongst them deserve respect, infact it is in our culture as Africans to respect elders and those in position of authority. However that does not Justify calling another man father in the spiritual sense as Jesus explained "only God in heaven is our spiritual father" and it would be wrong to regard any man as such.
Re: Why Call Your Pastor 'daddy' And Your Own Daddy 'popsy'? by ajokeakin: 12:36pm On Jan 07, 2010
like the one in my church got anoyed with me last two months that i am not addressing him Daddy like the other members do,and i am 3 years older than him.
Re: Why Call Your Pastor 'daddy' And Your Own Daddy 'popsy'? by Realtol(m): 1:53pm On Jan 07, 2010
"Our father in Lord" brethen what can you say about that phrase?
Re: Why Call Your Pastor 'daddy' And Your Own Daddy 'popsy'? by KunleOshob(m): 2:14pm On Jan 07, 2010
ajokeakin:

like the one in my church got anoyed with me last two months that i am not addressing him Daddy like the other members do,and i am 3 years older than him.
What are you still doing in the church

(1) (2) (Reply)

Proof Of Evolution: Early Human Fossils / Intelligent Design - A Rational Conclusion / Agnostics, Atheists, Humanists, Sceptics Let's Now Form Our Organisation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.