Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,636 members, 7,809,391 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:41 AM

Race Or Religion: Which Is More Important - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Race Or Religion: Which Is More Important (1487 Views)

Has Your Faith In God Or Religion Ever Been Seriously Challenged? / Is Christianity Or Islam A Race Or Religion? / Christianity, Islam, African Traditional Religion, Which Is More Tolerant? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Race Or Religion: Which Is More Important by naylow: 4:00pm On Jan 25, 2007
Although this question applies to all Africans, I think the make-up of this forum means that the question will be posed to my Nigerian brothers and sisters. The issue simply is to establish whether race is more important than religion or vice versa. The reason why I ask this question is because Africans (Nigerians in general) have been brainwashed to such a state that they place more emphasis on God through religion rather than God in race. It was during a conversation with a friend that I realised how deep down the abyss we were when he suggested that: The Yoruba man or woman practicing Islam would sometimes opt for an muslim name when in reality the name is Arabic. Names like Taofeek, Nurudeen, Tajudeen, Rashidat, Kudirat, Fathia, Sadiq and so on are common in Yoruba states. This is the same for African-Americans who having rid themselves of their slave-names would 9 out of 10 times adopt a muslim name and I wonder why this is so.

Many would argue that religion superseds race any day because by practicing religion one gets closer to God. They might also add that a man who allocates most of his time pondering on racial issues moves away from the creator but I beg to differ. The two major religions today is christianity and islam - two foreign ideologies foistered upon Africa by the Caucasian and Arabic races. With it came a need for the assimilated to forego their own traditions to take up the languages and mannerisms of the foreign conquerors and any wonder why Africa finds it difficult to develop. The way I see it this and it is that in the west and middle east, race and religion are intertwined especially in Islam.

I recall the many instances when Nigeria has experienced religious riots for the most stupid of reasons i.e. the Danish cartoon depicting Mohammed in an unflattering manner, which resulted in the deaths of many in Nigeria. However, Nigerians continue to be humiliated abroad and at home by foreign forces with little or no reaction from any quarter. This demonstrates how stunted we are if we are prepared to die for a religion but ready to accept insults to our race.

I believe that loving oneself is akin to loving God and one cannot know the true God if one does not know himself. Therefore race is paramount and religion should follow.
Re: Race Or Religion: Which Is More Important by kobe(m): 2:03am On Jan 26, 2007
to a believer, religion will usually outweight race
to a non-believer, it might be vice versa.
abi,
penis or vagina, which is more important?
Re: Race Or Religion: Which Is More Important by Wumine(f): 1:46pm On Jan 27, 2007
race or religion doesnt really matter, its what you are inside that makes the difference.

kobesosimi:

to a believer, religion will usually outweight race
to a non-believer, it might be vice versa.
abi,
penis or vagina, which is more important?

na wah for you o! which one you wan start here?
Re: Race Or Religion: Which Is More Important by Free(f): 10:03pm On Jan 27, 2007
religion is more important
Re: Race Or Religion: Which Is More Important by TV01(m): 11:17am On Jan 30, 2007
Neither, they are both human constructs. Keep movin'  angry
Re: Race Or Religion: Which Is More Important by Sapphic: 4:17am On Feb 05, 2009
For many black people (and I guess other races too), race does not become an issue worthy of major discussion until you live/visit/interact in societies which predominantly consist of races that are different from yours. The market woman in Oshodi will not give a damn about race issues, but she will about religion. On the other hand, there are many Westerners, who do not believe in any religion and in fact scorn every form of religion, and so to them, race is more important. So it will vary from person to person and place to place.
Re: Race Or Religion: Which Is More Important by dalaman: 3:16pm On Feb 05, 2009
Back in Nigeria religion is more important, but here in europe I can see that their race is much more important to them than any religion, by the way most of the europeans do not believe in God.
Re: Race Or Religion: Which Is More Important by MrCrackles(m): 3:17pm On Feb 05, 2009
Religion!

(1) (Reply)

Our Fore-fathers Will All Go To Hell? / 20 Ridiculous Names Of Churches In Nigeria. / Ahmed Dedat Actually Believed That Messiah Jesus Was The Allah Of Muhammad !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.