Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,339 members, 7,819,192 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:29 PM

Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? (4212 Views)

Anti-atheism In Nigeria / My Nairaland Journey From Christianity To Atheism In Pictures. / 22 Year Study States Atheism In A Mental Disease? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by sonofluc1fer: 11:20am On Apr 23, 2017
2kaybiel:
atheism is growing in number online (especially nairaland) not in reality, you can hardly find someone who would profess being an atheist publicly because it is strange in nigeria, people would even think such a person is mentally deranged.
I profess my atheism publicly. Got in an argument with ppl on a bus one day. You that believe in something you dont see, talk to a resurrected Jewish zombie, how can you refer to someone else as mentally deranged?

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by Nobody: 12:40pm On Apr 23, 2017
CatfishBilly:
I was discussing with a friend recently and the topic unfortunately moved to the rising atheistic population of Nigeria (Nigeria has a shitload of atheists, no joke. You just need to know where to look).
He was of the opinion that the rise of atheism in Nigeria is a reaction.
A reaction to the flaws and excesses of especially Pentecostalism.
How true is this?
Let's have a civil discussion please.
Hahn, hopefulLandlord, Wilgrea7, Jackbizzle, sarassin, MuttleyLaff, jonbellion, akintom, rawgurl, adepeter26, randomperson, realmindz, johnydon22, lennycool, Desepiero, avaa, Seun, nanizle, Frank317 etc
it has to do with the flaws of pentecostalism and the flaws of false Islamic doctrines which have made the northern Nigeria backward,most atheists are formerly Christians because christianity is more tolerant than islam ,just read the story of Mubarak bala and how he was harassed in Kano by his family.
so atheism is a direct response to a nation over saturated with myths that her people call religion

5 Likes

Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by Wilgrea7(m): 2:13pm On Apr 23, 2017
CatfishBilly:
I understand your point @hopeful.Landlord
My friend was of the opinion though, that the sudden rise is a reaction to Pentecostal leaders who are surprisingly fixated on money, living lavish lifestyles, driving exotic cars while milking their followers dry.
Their unending advert of miracles which are performed few and far in-between and their comments/views which laugh in the face of common sense and science like driving over 200km on an empty tank, mental illness or any ailment for that matter being a result of sin.
Their "touch not my anointed and do my prophet no harm" mantra when they are in a scandal or legal trouble.
This was why the people revolted and embraced atheism.
That was his submission anyways.

well you have a point... Pentecostal leaders usually lead “people"... they stand as an authority... once the Pentecostal leader messes up, people begin to doubt his religion thetefore doubt his God... but of course those would be people who followed the pastor and relied on him for interpretation etc... the alleged “touch not" crew..... the Catholic church messes up less... their secrets hardly leak.. although some priests have been exposed... the rcc usually have their ways of covering up... they have lots of secrets..
Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by RosaConsidine: 2:41pm On Apr 23, 2017
To some extent, I would agree (though limiting it to Pentecostals is a bit unfair - even we Orthodox worshippers have our fair share of excesses). However, I think globalization and exposure is a strong driving force for atheism in Nigeria. I mean, we Nigerians got our major religions from a similar system (the foreigners came with their religion and enough of us followed to relegate our erstwhile major traditional religions to insignificance. Now though, with the internet, the "gospel" of atheism is reaching us though this time the "missionaries" don't have to brave an ocean crossing to convince people here to be atheist.

I think what I find interesting about atheism though and what makes it unlike religion is that you don't really need someone to "preach" it to you to become an atheist. All you just have to do is stop believing. I mean, imagine if one of our forefathers before the coming of the missionaries thought "abeg, abeg. All these gods and oracles don't exist. We offer sacrifice yet they don't do what we ask for. In fact, they don't exist". Boom, you have one of our earliest atheists (I think someone on the thread earlier said something similar).

So, my answer is yes, to some extent it is.

6 Likes

Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by ifenes(m): 7:03pm On Apr 23, 2017
RosaConsidine:
To some extent, I would agree (though limiting it to Pentecostals is a bit unfair - even we Orthodox worshippers have our fair share of excesses). However, I think globalization and exposure is a strong driving force for atheism in Nigeria. I mean, we Nigerians got our major religions from a similar system (the foreigners came with their religion and enough of us followed to relegate our erstwhile major traditional religions to insignificance. Now though, with the internet, the "gospel" of atheism is reaching us though this time the "missionaries" don't have to brave an ocean crossing to convince people here to be atheist.

I think what I find interesting about atheism though and what makes it unlike religion is that you don't really need someone to "preach" it to you to become an atheist. All you just have to do is stop believing. I mean, imagine if one of our forefathers before the coming of the missionaries thought "abeg, abeg. All these gods and oracles don't exist. We offer sacrifice yet they don't do what we ask for. In fact, they don't exist". Boom, you have one of our earliest atheists (I think someone on the thread earlier said something similar).

So, my answer is yes, to some extent it is.

Globalisation didn't cause Atheism, globalisation made everyone with similar views come together. People who are Atheist are those clever enough to question religion. Atheism isn't really a movement, it is a measure of rise of intelligent humans.

4 Likes

Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by LordeCalifornia: 10:08pm On Apr 23, 2017
I'd say two things actually triggered the present rise of atheism in nigeria, they are ; education and Internet. A little research would show you that most Nigerian atheists are either university graduates or undergraduates, hardly would you see a secondary school student profess atheism, hence my stand on education. And as we all know, the Internet is the final bullet. Give Nigerians Internet and education and watch atheism rise to an all time high.

I figured there are more male atheists compared to female atheists. Who knows why?

11 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by CatfishBilly: 10:16pm On Apr 23, 2017
LordeCalifornia:

I figured there are more male atheists compared to female atheists. Who knows why?
Males are inherently rebellious?

2 Likes

Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by chrisseun(m): 10:46pm On Apr 23, 2017
pablobellins:
maybe this thread seem like a place I could get some answers.
As for me, I Believe there is God
All I say in my prayer is thanks
I detest going to church
I detest prayer (except when I give thanks)
I hate being around people who are churchy
old what am I?
seun hopefullandlord

Same here, I believe in the supernatural I.e spirit realm
but the religion and the people is wat pisses me.
Forced to a Christian Youth Camp and got my phone stolen and those people say they follow God
Again bout the salvation stuff, they will say some1 whose done bad all through his life ,on his dying bed will say sorry words and all is forgiven like wtf is that. means religion give pple the right to do bad.

3 Likes

Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by jonbellion(m): 10:56pm On Apr 23, 2017
chrisseun:

Forced to a Christian Youth Camp and got my phone stolen and those people say they follow God
Again bout the salvation stuff, they will say some1 whose done bad all through his life ,on his dying bed will say sorry words and all is forgiven like wtf is that. means religion give pple the right to do bad.
common sense!

1 Like

Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by chrisseun(m): 11:06pm On Apr 23, 2017
jonbellion:
common sense!

lol me just want my phone back.

2 Likes

Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by Nobody: 11:20pm On Apr 23, 2017
chrisseun:

lol me just want my phone back.
my friend roommate had her phone stolen in church by armed robbers till today the phone has never been returned

1 Like

Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by chrisseun(m): 11:31pm On Apr 23, 2017
stephenmorris:
my friend roommate had her phone stolen in church by armed robbers till today the phone has never been returned
lol who will return it, its left for the church to buy or give money or conjure the person to return the phone by their Holy spirit
cuz me no fit hustle 50k right now

1 Like

Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by CatfishBilly: 8:59am On Apr 24, 2017
Any more input?
Felixomor and KingEbukasBlog you people can come in now.
Don't derail, please, I'm begging the two of you.
Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:13am On Apr 24, 2017
CatfishBilly:
Any more input?
Felixomor and KingEbukasBlog you people can come in now.
Don't derail, please, I'm begging the two of you.

There is no rise of atheism in Nigeria. If atheists on this forum operating with different accounts to give a semblance of growth is what you mean then that's the delusion sir . Instead Nigerians are becoming staunchly religious . I've experienced it and sometimes I'm appalled by it. Even the bible said we should do things in moderation .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by larisoft: 9:25am On Apr 24, 2017
U guys are overlooking the main cause of the disruption: THE INTERNET.

Before now, it was super difficult to learn about islam as a christian. It was impossible to learn about bhudism, hinduism. It was impossible to read a wide array of free thinkers. If you were born in a Christian home, you believed that was all there is and before you realize its not; its too late to change ur mind.

Then comes the internet and places every conceivable piece of information in the hands of everyone including 15year olds.

The truth is; in a matter of decades, Nigeria should be split half and half between atheists and theists. This is sure to happen because while there are people who will remain religious even after learning every fact about religion, a great number of people who are currently religious will renouce their religion if they were exposed to certain pieces of information. The internet is bent on exposing those pieces of information...

2 Likes

Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by felixomor: 9:26am On Apr 24, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

There is no rise of atheism in Nigeria. If atheists on this forum operating with different accounts to give a semblance of growth is what you mean then that's the delusion sir . Instead Nigerians are becoming staunchly religious . I've experienced it and sometimes I'm appalled by it. Even the bible said we should do things in moderation .

Nailed.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by CatfishBilly: 9:33am On Apr 24, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Did I mention Nairaland in the OP?
If Nairaland is what you base your atheist population on, then you're wrong.
There are so many online platforms you can check.
Go do your homework, bro.
Now, is rising atheism in Nigeria a result of the flaws of Pentecostalism?
Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:45am On Apr 24, 2017
CatfishBilly:

Did I mention Nairaland in the OP?
If Nairaland is what you base your atheist population on, then you're wrong.
There are so many online platforms you can check.
Go do your homework, bro.

I've been using the internet for 14 years now . Im on myriads of social media platforms . I tell you , there is no rise of atheism in Nigeria . I've got friends from different tribes in this country and even the word "atheist" sounds strange to them when we discuss stuff about God and religion. Its all false hope , I'm sorry you have to face the truth .

I think you believe that anyone who criticizes religion is an atheist , I once thought that too but now I know better - even Christians criticize the ills of religion , the deists do so too , and atheists can be involved in religion (Buddhism , Confucianism , and even Wicca since there are atheist witches) , there is Satanism too . Satanists always berate anyone who believes in God .

I think you should do your homework bro . Even the topic of your shows that you didn't .

My thread where the homework was properly done can help you : https://www.nairaland.com/3500235/must-read-god-without-religion

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:00am On Apr 24, 2017
pablobellins:
maybe this thread seem like a place I could get some answers.
As for me, I Believe there is God
All I say in my prayer is thanks
I detest going to church
I detest prayer (except when I give thanks)
I hate being around people who are churchy
old what am I?
seun hopefullandlord

Please I implore you to peruse this topic it should help you : https://www.nairaland.com/3500235/must-read-god-without-religion

1 Like

Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by CatfishBilly: 10:11am On Apr 24, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

I've been using the internet for 14 years now . Im on myriads of social media platforms . I tell you , there is no rise of atheism in Nigeria . I've got friends from different tribes in this country and even the word "atheist" sounds strange to them when we discuss stuff about God and religion. Its all false hope , I'm sorry you have to face the truth .

I think you believe that anyone who criticizes religion is an atheist , I once thought that too but now I know better - even Christians criticize the ills of religion , the deists do so too , and atheists can be involved in religion (Buddhism , Confucianism , and even Wicca since there are atheist witches) , there is Satanism too . Satanists always berate anyone who believes in God .

I think you should do your homework bro . Even the topic of your shows that you didn't .

My thread where the homework was properly done can help you : https://www.nairaland.com/3500235/must-read-god-without-religion
Okay then. The eye sees what it wants to see.
I know the definition of atheism, thank you very much.
Would have shared numerous Facebook groups and WhatsApp groups with you, but I've learnt a lesson in privacy protection, so believe what you believe.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:43am On Apr 24, 2017
CatfishBilly:

Okay then. The eye sees what it wants to see.
I know the definition of atheism, thank you very much.
Would have shared numerous Facebook groups and WhatsApp groups with you, but I've learnt a lesson in privacy protection, so believe what you believe.

Facebook and WhatsApp groups where the same Nairaland atheists are in ?

As an internet user I can be in the same number of Facebook and WhatsApp groups as anyone else 1.e If there are 10 Facebook and WhatApp groups about people who support a particular cause or have the same shared interest , I can be in all of them . Its not that each individual group consists of totally different users . Considering that atheists are an insignificant minority in Nigeria , its very possible that its the same atheists who are in those Facebook or WhatApp groups . grin I can also join a Facebook group out of curiosity not that I share whatever common interest the group has . Keep this in mind . wink

1 Like

Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by CatfishBilly: 10:57am On Apr 24, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Facebook and WhatsApp groups where the same Nairaland atheists are in ?

As an internet user I can be in the same number of Facebook and WhatsApp groups as anyone else 1.e If there are 10 Facebook and WhatApp groups about people who support a particular cause or have the same shared interest , I can be in all of them . Its not that each individual group consists of totally different users . Considering that atheists are an insignificant minority in Nigeria , its very possible that its the same atheists who are in those Facebook or WhatApp groups . grin I can also join a Facebook group out of curiosity not that I share whatever common interest the group has . Keep this in mind . wink
And you've derailed the thread.
You must feel very proud of yourself.
Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by pablobellins(m): 11:06am On Apr 24, 2017
chrisseun:

Another one of those things that annoy me is, when you ate being righteous, the moment u commit one, just one sin. all that righteousness is gone. u will have to start again

1 Like

Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by chrisseun(m): 3:41pm On Apr 24, 2017
pablobellins:

Another one of those things that annoy me is, when you ate being righteous, the moment u commit one, just one sin. all that righteousness is gone. u will have to start again

you can give ur life to Christ a billion times, means u can sin a trillion times.

3 Likes

Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by thesuave10(m): 9:19am On May 04, 2017
Seun:

It's a reaction to having access to the Internet. The Internet kills religion by providing easy access to information that proves religion wrong.

It is true that the excesses of pentecostalism are repulsive, but actually, Pentecostals/evangelicals are the fastest growing group within Christianity. Countries with less pentecostalism like most European countries have more atheists. Countries like USA with lots of Pentecostals have fewer atheists. Pentecostalism's "signs and wonders" create the illusion of the existence of some evidence for the existence of God.

Hehe seun is man a mistake of God or God a mistake of man? . Regardless of your answer which I know will be along the thoughts of an atheist I wanna make it clear that there's no legitimate proof that God doesn't exist. Various schools of philosophies have a hard time proving that God doesn't exist. I do agree with you tho on the concept of religion. Religion is purely man made and has so many flaws but do well properly distinguish between the concept of God and the concept of religion cuz they are two different things
Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by hopefulLandlord: 9:43am On May 04, 2017
thesuave10:

Hehe seun is man a mistake of God or God a mistake of man? . Regardless of your answer which I know will be along the thoughts of an atheist I wanna make it clear that there's no legitimate proof that God doesn't exist. Various schools of philosophies have a hard time proving that God doesn't exist. I do agree with you tho on the concept of religion. Religion is purely man made and has so many flaws but do well properly distinguish between the concept of God and the concept of religion cuz they are two different things

there's no proof a pink unicorn doesn't exist too

3 Likes

Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by thesuave10(m): 9:50am On May 04, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

there's no proof a pink unicorn doesn't exist too

Actually there is undecided
Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by Nobody: 10:10am On May 04, 2017
2kaybiel:
atheism is growing in number online (especially nairaland) not in reality, you can hardly find someone who would profess being an atheist publicly because it is strange in nigeria, people would even think such a person is mentally deranged.

check Twitter there lots of nigerian atheists or at least irreligious people male and female.

1 Like

Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by hopefulLandlord: 10:32am On May 04, 2017
thesuave10:

Actually there is undecided
prove it!
Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by thesuave10(m): 10:37am On May 04, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

prove it!

Use your Google properly
Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by hopefulLandlord: 10:41am On May 04, 2017
thesuave10:

Use your Google properly
what if I told you I have a pink unicorn with me that shits rainbows?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

10 Spiritual Signs You Are About To Die / Im Confused Abt This Christian Theory... / So Many Denominations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.