Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,703 members, 7,816,876 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:13 PM

Cocoa - The Guaranteed Pension : My Cocoa Story - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Cocoa - The Guaranteed Pension : My Cocoa Story (8235 Views)

Akwa Ibom Government Boosts Cocoa Farming With 500,000 Seedlings / Cocoa, Cashew And Coffee Improved Seedlings For Sale / International Price Of Cocoa Beans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cocoa - The Guaranteed Pension : My Cocoa Story by Newway2(m): 2:32pm On Apr 23, 2017
Are you an educated farmer?

Can you guarantee yourself regular income in your old age when you leave farming?

Are you thinking of agric pension?

Are you over 40yrs?

Then, join the New Cocoa Farmers Forum where we discuss how cocoa can give you pension in your old age

We shall rub minds on how we can mutually & collectively take our vocation: agriculture & farming a notch higher than our fathers.

Every educated & practicing farmer shld endavour to prepare 4 (farming/agric) retirement by planting "COCOA".

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cocoa - The Guaranteed Pension : My Cocoa Story by Newway2(m): 2:37pm On Apr 23, 2017
Am an agroprenure & am over 40 yrs old.

Circumstances or call it providence has made this topic necessary. Firstly, am an accidental (cocoa)farmer even though farming has been in me since I was a little lad.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cocoa - The Guaranteed Pension : My Cocoa Story by funstufz: 2:46pm On Apr 23, 2017
Hmmmm.
Am interested
Re: Cocoa - The Guaranteed Pension : My Cocoa Story by Newway2(m): 2:50pm On Apr 23, 2017
As earlier said, am an accidental (cocoa) farmer.

I have some great people that have inspired me a lot in this farming vocation.

People like @Pavore9 @Organicfoods .......to mention a few & I shall be using some of the materials they have brilliantly spun in this forum before.

Apologies & appreciation to them for being the forebears of agriculture, agricbizness & agroprenure.
Re: Cocoa - The Guaranteed Pension : My Cocoa Story by Newway2(m): 2:53pm On Apr 23, 2017
The future of Nigerian agriculture lies majorly on plantation agriculture.

Plantations provide a steady pay check, health insurance and every other benefit that other multinationals provide. Its just that it takes a minimum of 3-5 years before bankable results show.

I call this, saving for the rainy day. Posterity measure, Generational investment, Inheritance for the children and I can keep on qualifying it...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cocoa - The Guaranteed Pension : My Cocoa Story by Newway2(m): 2:57pm On Apr 23, 2017
Cocoa is a cash crop that has played an important, vibrant role in rural economies in Nigeria & anywhere in the world where it is planted.

It is a crop that enjoys consistent global demand. It provides families with income and raising the standard of living in thousands of communities where it is grown and harvested.

For Nigeria, Cocoa is the second largest foreign exchange earner after crude oil.

The global market for cocoa is very huge, growing at an average of 3% per annum.

Nigeria’s cocoa export has equally grown over the years by an average of 40% annually and a cumulative of 280%.

Nigeria is the world’s 4th largest producer and exporter of cocoa.

Paradoxically, over 90% of the cocoa produced is exported.

The target markets for cocoa are food and beverage companies, chocolate companies, soap making, companies both local and international.

The selling price of cocoa beans as at today varies between $2,195 - $3,130 per ton.

@Organicfoods

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cocoa - The Guaranteed Pension : My Cocoa Story by Newway2(m): 3:03pm On Apr 23, 2017
Cocoa was the backbone of the wonder years of South West under Chief Obafemi Awolowo.

With proceeds from cocoa, he recorded the firsts in many areas of our lives:

First television Station in Africa (before France & Ireland)

Cocoa House: The tallest building in Sahara Africa......and one of tallest still standing.

Free education

Free health

Liberty Stadium....first in Nigeria

E.t.c e.t.c

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cocoa - The Guaranteed Pension : My Cocoa Story by Newway2(m): 3:04pm On Apr 23, 2017
The question is.....
What happened? Why did we derailed from being pace setters to back benchers?
Why?
Why?
What went wrong?
Re: Cocoa - The Guaranteed Pension : My Cocoa Story by Newway2(m): 3:09pm On Apr 23, 2017
In 1950's uptill early 1980's, Nigeria was d highest producer of cocoa in d world..........

we are far far behind 2day..........because our fathers abandoned farmin/agric.......

we are paying d consequences 2day.

we are paying for their collective foolishness.

we are paying for their myopic view of the future.

we are paying for their ignorance.

we paying for their greed & avarice.

we are paying for their amnesia.

1 Like

Re: Cocoa - The Guaranteed Pension : My Cocoa Story by Newway2(m): 3:15pm On Apr 23, 2017
Cocoa, oil-palm, rubber, groundnut, sesame seed, cashew were the golden crops. The beautiful crops.

But.........

Sadly, our fathers generation abandoned ds "golden" crop 4 white collar job........

They abandoned the golden crops for the black gold.

We are manifesting the result of their collective "foolishnence"....

1 Like

Re: Cocoa - The Guaranteed Pension : My Cocoa Story by Newway2(m): 3:35pm On Apr 23, 2017
In d past, cocoa used to mature in 5-7years.......

then it was reduced to 3-4yrs.......

& then to 2-3yrs..........

Today, we hv 18mnths-2yrs early maturing cocoa (flowering/fruiting) hybrid variety.

Ds means u can start enjoying ur farming retirement as early as 2019 if you plant this year, 2017.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cocoa - The Guaranteed Pension : My Cocoa Story by famagro: 5:02pm On Apr 23, 2017
I am with you.

1 Like

Re: Cocoa - The Guaranteed Pension : My Cocoa Story by donfreddie(m): 5:14pm On Apr 23, 2017
famagro:
I am with you.
Re: Cocoa - The Guaranteed Pension : My Cocoa Story by Newway2(m): 10:21pm On Apr 23, 2017
COCOA PLANTING TIME TABLE:

September:
Clearing of selected nursery site for land preparation.

October:
* Leveling of site (for new site),
* Erection of shade,
* Construction of beds,
* Filling of pots with top soil into polythene bag (30cmx12.5cm), & * Arrangement of pots on nursery bed.

November:
* Filling of pots with top soil into polythene bag &
* Arrangement of pots on nursery bed continues,
* Construction of nursery shed completed.

December:
* Filling of pots with top soil into polythene bag &
* Arrangement of pots on nursery bed continues,
* Cocoa beans are sown in the pots with their sides down & cover lightly with soil.
* Light watering also follows immediately & thereafter every other day except during harmattam when watering is done daily.
* At every watering, each seedling needs abt 100mm of water.
* Germination is expected withing 14-21days.
* Complete removal of shade shld be done 2-4wks b4 field transplanting.

January:
Completion of seed sowing & routine maintenance practices like watering & pest control.

February-May:
Maintenance of seedlings continues.
* Hardening (adaptation to field-be conditions) of the seedlings between last wk in April-3rd wk in May.

To be continued............
Re: Cocoa - The Guaranteed Pension : My Cocoa Story by Newway2(m): 10:29pm On Apr 23, 2017
Due to the symbiotic relationship btwn plantain & cocoa especially at the early stage of cocoa, we can not talk of cocoa without talking of plantain.

Cocoa & plantain are like brothers & sisters.

Wherever u find cocoa, u must find plantain

Plantain is used as shade crop for cocoa & temporary income generator b4 cocoa starts fruiting.

Standard spacing for cocoa (& plantain) is 3mx3m or 10ftx10ft.

With ds spacing,

1acre will take 440 suckers & 440 cocoa

1hectare will take 1100 suckers & 1100 cocoa at d same time

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cocoa - The Guaranteed Pension : My Cocoa Story by Newway2(m): 6:43am On Apr 24, 2017
Cocoa is very dependable as pension benefit.
When all energy are gone & u just want to enjoy old age, cocoa will gv u cover.
#PlantCocoaNowItPays

2 Likes

Re: Cocoa - The Guaranteed Pension : My Cocoa Story by Newway2(m): 6:58am On Apr 24, 2017
In the southern part of Nigeria & infact most tropical African countries, plantain is one of the people's staple food items.

Most farmers plant plantain subsistencely just to eat by their households & give few relations.

The few farmers that are into real plantain plantation farming are not maximising the use of the land on which the crop is planted.

The standard spacing for plantain is 3mx3m or 10ftx10ft.

Using this measurement, the plant population density is 440/acre or 1,100/hectare.

Now, what happens to the space in between each plant?

Re: Cocoa - The Guaranteed Pension : My Cocoa Story by Newway2(m): 7:03am On Apr 24, 2017
The space between each plantain plant could be used to cultivate a variety of crops. But our focus here is the symbiotic relationship between plantain & cocoa.

That's where this writings comes in....

Good agronomical practice (that has been used by our grand fathers) is to plant plantain & cocoa @ 3mx3m.

However & ideally, Plantain should be planted 1 or 2mnths b4 cocoa at the onset of rain.

Using this planting spacing, U will also have 440/acre or 1,100/ha cocoa stand/plant in the same 1ha.

The plantain serves two purposes of shielding the cocoa plants from wind & hot weather. It will also serve as income generation b4 d cocoa starts to fruit.

1 Like

Re: Cocoa - The Guaranteed Pension : My Cocoa Story by Newway2(m): 7:06am On Apr 24, 2017
There are eight new varieties of Cocoa recently released for distribution by the Federal Government of Nigeria. 

Practically all of them start fruiting  within 18 months  but earlier under irrigation. 

Under minimal agronomic practice conditions they yield btwn 1.5-2 Tons/hectare. 

With good agronomic practice condition and irrigation they yield throughout the year with yield per hectare doubling or trippling. 

So you should consider an investment in Cocoa.

Contact us For ur improved plantain suckers & 18months yielding cocoa..

We are D #CocoaMaster

2 Likes

Re: Cocoa - The Guaranteed Pension : My Cocoa Story by karlxavier(m): 7:43am On Apr 24, 2017
Sorry i want to ask some questions please. Can one actually get this tonnage you talked about after 18 months or when exactly is one going to get this tonnage you made mention sir. I await your reply.
Re: Cocoa - The Guaranteed Pension : My Cocoa Story by Newway2(m): 4:17am On Apr 28, 2017
Why is cocoa regarded as a retirement benefit crop?

U can harvest cocoa for abt 50yrs.

If u plant it now, it will definitely outlive u.

It starts bearing fruits as from 18months.

It's better to start with 2.5acres which is 1ha.

D investment required is not too exorbitant.

U can sell any quantity of cocoa seeds.

D cocoa tree I planted with my grandfather as a lad over 40yrs ago still bear fruits today.

Plant cocoa 2day & retire in peace.

CocoaMaster

1 Like

Re: Cocoa - The Guaranteed Pension : My Cocoa Story by Newway2(m): 4:24am On Apr 28, 2017
karlxavier:
Sorry i want to ask some questions please. Can one actually get this tonnage you talked about after 18 months or when exactly is one going to get this tonnage you made mention sir. I await your reply.

There's no cash crop that can give u the expected harvest at 1st or 2nd or even 3rd harvest. it takes a little while to reach full maturity & potentials.

D beauty of it is that once it start producing fruit, it won't stop & will continue to grow till it stabilises. At that stage, the crop is said to have been fully matured.

2 Likes

Re: Cocoa - The Guaranteed Pension : My Cocoa Story by Nobody: 9:52am On May 10, 2017
THIS IS INTERESTING AND I AM KEENLY FOLLOWING. @newway pls i will like to know the kind of land or soil cocoa will do very well on.
pls kindly drop me your mail. i will need to contact u.
Re: Cocoa - The Guaranteed Pension : My Cocoa Story by Newway2(m): 12:25pm On May 21, 2017
rajowski:
THIS IS INTERESTING AND I AM KEENLY FOLLOWING. @newway pls i will like to know the kind of land or soil cocoa will do very well on.
pls kindly drop me your mail. i will need to contact u.

Cocoa does well in the tropical rain forest region of SW & SE Nigeria.

Cocoa loves water, humidity & high organic contents.

if your land can guarantee these, then; u are good to go.

U can contact me on WhatsApp tru my signature.

God bless our hustles.

1 Like

Re: Cocoa - The Guaranteed Pension : My Cocoa Story by Newway2(m): 4:24am On May 22, 2017
Nigerian economy was mostly agrarian before the advent of oil boom in 1980. Cocoa, which is widely grown today in fourteen (14) states of the country was mainly known then in the then western geo-political zone.

The export value of crop & the establishment of agro-based industries to process cocoa beans to finished products & the utilization of its by-products in Nigeria have been on the increase over the years.
Re: Cocoa - The Guaranteed Pension : My Cocoa Story by Newway2(m): 4:24am On May 22, 2017
Most of the variety of cocoa presently on the field are genetically deficient to cope with increase demands in the world markets & required inputs into the Nigerian economy due to pre & post harvest related problems of low yields & suscetability to infeststion by pest & diseases.
Re: Cocoa - The Guaranteed Pension : My Cocoa Story by Newway2(m): 4:29am On May 22, 2017
According to FAO, global yield losses up to 20-30% & tree death of 10% annually have been observed with cocoa.

In Nigeria, recent reports have however shown that losses up to 90-100% have been observed in cocoa plantations due to black pod disease & 25% loss attributed to brown cocoa mirids.
Re: Cocoa - The Guaranteed Pension : My Cocoa Story by Newway2(m): 4:30am On May 22, 2017
Agricultural productions must therefore be increased considerably to meet the challenge of the Nigerian economy. 

The improvement of genetic potential, agronomic & husbandry practices; including processing & storage of cocoa, will enhance the earnings from the crop.

1 Like

Re: Cocoa - The Guaranteed Pension : My Cocoa Story by Newway2(m): 4:32am On May 22, 2017
Recent advancement of research in CRIN has led to the registration of eight ( 8 ) new cocoa varieties.

1) CRIN Tc-1

2) CRIN Tc-2

3) CRIN Tc-3

4) CRIN Tc-4

5)  CRIN Tc-5

6)  CRIN Tc-6

7) CRIN Tc-7

8 ) CRIN Tc-8

The attributes of these eight cocoa varieties presented in their genetic formation have addressed most shortcomings of the previous ones.

Additionally, the on-farm assessment of the new varieties have shown a boost in the yield; pest & diseases resistance / tolerance which commutatively will increase the cocoa yield per hectare.
Re: Cocoa - The Guaranteed Pension : My Cocoa Story by Newway2(m): 4:38am On May 22, 2017
Newway2:
Recent advancement of research in CRIN has led to the registration of eight ( 8 ) new cocoa varieties.

1) CRIN Tc-1

2) CRIN Tc-2

3) CRIN Tc-3

4) CRIN Tc-4

5)  CRIN Tc-5

6)  CRIN Tc-6

7) CRIN Tc-7

8 ) CRIN Tc-8

The attributes of these eight cocoa varieties presented in their genetic formation have addressed most shortcomings of the previous ones.

Additionally, the on-farm assessment of the new varieties have shown a boost in the yield; pest & diseases resistance / tolerance which commutatively will increase the cocoa yield per hectare.

Generally, these 8 hybrids have diverse genetic base; they are early bearing, high yielding with low inputs, resistance to major pests & diseases of cocoa, highly adaptable to cocoa ecologies if Nigeria, very good cocoa beans quality traits etc.

The low inputs for high productivity of these materials will greatly encourage cultivation of cocoa, thus making the venture more profitable & attractive for those involved. It also encourages new entrants to tab into the potentials in cocoa farming.

These together will put the nation on the track of meeting the global quest for more ORGANIC COCOA.
Re: Cocoa - The Guaranteed Pension : My Cocoa Story by Newway2(m): 4:01pm On Jun 03, 2017
Newway2:
Why is cocoa regarded as a retirement benefit crop?

U can harvest cocoa for abt 50yrs.

If u plant it now, it will definitely outlive u.

It starts bearing fruits as from 18months.

It's better to start with 2.5acres which is 1ha.

D investment required is not too exorbitant.

U can sell any quantity of cocoa seeds.

D cocoa tree I planted with my grandfather as a lad over 40yrs ago still bear fruits today.

Plant cocoa 2day & retire in peace.

CocoaMaster

The future of Nigerian agriculture lies majorly on plantation agriculture.

Plantations provide a steady pay check, health insurance and every other benefit that other multinationals provide. Its just that it takes a minimum of 3-5 years before bankable results show.

I call this, saving for the rainy day. Posterity measure, generational investment, Inheritance for the children and I can keep on qualifying it...
Re: Cocoa - The Guaranteed Pension : My Cocoa Story by Newway2(m): 4:02pm On Jun 03, 2017
Cocoa is a cash crop that has played an important, vibrant role in rural economies in Nigeria & anywhere in the world where it is grown.

It is a crop that enjoys consistent global demand. It provides families with income and raising the standard of living in thousands of communities where it is grown and harvested.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is It Right To Feed Chickens Corn Chaff? / @-{-{--AGRIC Empowerment For ONE Blessed Winner - {Application CLOSED} / If You Are In Need Of Farm Land In Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.