Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,555 members, 7,861,628 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 03:47 PM

Why Did People Keep Family Idols In The Bible? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did People Keep Family Idols In The Bible? (462 Views)

Man Burns Cross Because He Says Christians Are Worshiping Idols / "My Grandpa Who Worshipped Idols For 47 Years Converts To Christianity" - Man / 3 False Idols And Teachings Of Modern Christianity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did People Keep Family Idols In The Bible? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:42pm On Apr 24, 2017
Why did people keep family idols in the Bible? What was the purpose of family idols? Were family idols actually worshipped? Why did so many cultures keep family idols, and how should we respond to modern cultures which keep them? Is it actually wrong to have family idols? undecided
Re: Why Did People Keep Family Idols In The Bible? by Nobody: 2:09pm On Apr 24, 2017
I don't know much about the origins of idol-worshiping by indigenous or traditional religionionists, but I do know that idol-worshiping is practiced frequently in many cultures.

I do know what the God of Abraham, Isaac, & Jacob (the I Am That I Am) commands in His word:

Exodus 20:4

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
Re: Why Did People Keep Family Idols In The Bible? by Nobody: 2:19pm On Apr 24, 2017
OLAADEGBU:
Why did people keep family idols in the Bible? What was the purpose of family idols? Were family idols actually worshipped? Why did so many cultures keep family idols, and how should we respond to modern cultures which keep them? Is it actually wrong to have family idols? undecided

Cite examples let's know where you are coming from.

1 Like

Re: Why Did People Keep Family Idols In The Bible? by MuttleyLaff: 1:56pm On Apr 25, 2017
JMAN05:
Terah, Abraham's father of served other gods
and Abraham was called by the one and only true God to leave these idols
Laban, Jacob's uncle had and kept family idols
Re: Why Did People Keep Family Idols In The Bible? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:43pm On Apr 27, 2017
JMAN05:

This is not just a matter of the past because I know of instances in the UK where so called believers had been caught with their family/traditional idols in their closets. shocked
Re: Why Did People Keep Family Idols In The Bible? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:31pm On Apr 29, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

Answers to the OP can be found in the link below.

https://www.gotquestions.org/family-idols.html

(1) (Reply)

Seed Of Destiny 08-05-2017 / Dancing For The Lord / Why Do Religious People Hate Sex?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.