Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,200 members, 7,815,183 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:37 AM

Is Ogu-bolo In River State Igbo Or Ijaw?: See Towns And Village Names - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Ogu-bolo In River State Igbo Or Ijaw?: See Towns And Village Names (49005 Views)

Rivers Women Prevented Soldiers From Entering Ogu/Bolo LGA Secretariat / Justice Chukwujieze Ogu Is Dead! Assassinated By Gunmen (Disturbing Photos) / List Of Towns And Villages In Abuja (FCT) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Ogu-bolo In River State Igbo Or Ijaw?: See Towns And Village Names by innocent99: 6:45am On Apr 27, 2017
Op. D towns u mentioned are not in ogu bolo local govt but are in Ndoni area of Ogba/Egbema/Ndoni local govt area of Rivers state. They speak ukwani along with the Ndokwa people of Delta state. They used to be part of d old Midwest region with Delta but now forms part of Rivers state as result of state creation. The Ndoni people of Rivers state and Ndokwa people of Delta state are brothers and share similar culture and traditions and are bothered with Delta state by the River Niger.
Ogu Bolo is Okrika not Ndokwa or Ndoni.

3 Likes

Re: Is Ogu-bolo In River State Igbo Or Ijaw?: See Towns And Village Names by clevadani: 6:51am On Apr 27, 2017
Addicted2Women:

We don't give a flying fucck if they're igbo, Hausa or Afghanistan

If you ask them if Rivers state is igbo state, they wil get angry and warn you not to call them igbos

Meanwhile those dumb fuccks have igbo names such as Amechi, Chibuike, Nwike, Nnanna, Ngozi, Onyemechi, Nwene

What are they if they're not igbo ?? Are they Hausa, Yoruba or what ?? Or are they Americans ??

Now tell me the meaning of those names and if they're not igbo names

It's just like having Musa Umaru as my name and then telling you that I'm not Hausa

Those dudes are confused and naturally dumb

We don't want them in our igbo states, they should join the Fulani herdsmen if they want
I have seen people bearing Hausa names and they aren't Hausas. You should know that larger groups influence smaller groups especially when it comes to language.

2 Likes

Re: Is Ogu-bolo In River State Igbo Or Ijaw?: See Towns And Village Names by nuelsylves(m): 6:53am On Apr 27, 2017
majekdom2:
Oga, I explained my point earlier... there are yoruba communities in edo and delta. It won't make any sense saying these guys are Ijaw or whatever... it's a minority of that region. Say 0.01 %. Same with you mentioned above It's simply as a result o crossborder relationship. It's totally different from the case of Rivers where a majority of the people are being called Igbo. See, these people have their own tradition and culture. It will only be sensible if we let them and not force them under one ethnic group because of language and names.

No body is forcing them under Igbo, their non-political elders know that they are Igbos. That's why they are now part of Ọhaneze ndị Igbo and even holding various major posts. All these noise about them being Igbo or not are just political.

Go and study their history, traditions and culture, after that study Igbo traditions and culture in general.

It will also interest us if you can prove to us here how these villages and towns came about bearing Igbo names (and still naming their children Igbo names till today), same traditions and cultures and yet they're not Igbos.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Ogu-bolo In River State Igbo Or Ijaw?: See Towns And Village Names by Nobody: 7:04am On Apr 27, 2017
majekdom2:
you see, you are a regular unintelligent Nigerian that lack debating skills. You just contradicted yourself. You said I have an English name because I may have had relationship with the British. But does it make me a Briton. Simple, those names are there because the rivers people had a relationship with the ibos. You find more ibos in Rivers State than other ethnic group because of th location. Does this "relationship" make rivers Igbo?? there are loads of individuals with British first name and surnames in Rivers because of the relationship they had with oil explorators... does it make them British. Are you sure you aren't having a mental disorder??

So you also change your Village Name because of that relationship too...... Then Nigeria should have been Newcastle or scoltland, Ogun Lagos (EKO) should have been Sunderland or Manchester, then nobody should have beeen called Tayo, ade but all round english names..... Think! Think !!Think !!!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Ogu-bolo In River State Igbo Or Ijaw?: See Towns And Village Names by babyfaceafrica: 7:05am On Apr 27, 2017
Bigotry everywhere you go

1 Like

Re: Is Ogu-bolo In River State Igbo Or Ijaw?: See Towns And Village Names by excanny: 7:07am On Apr 27, 2017
YelloweWest:

I sight u.

They have started again...

This time it's a core Ijaw community... smh

Just prove and explain to the OP that it is an Ijaw and why it can never be said to the Igbo. OP asked a simple curious question. He never claimed anything.

Nigerian education is poor people can't seperate emotions from facts.

1 Like

Re: Is Ogu-bolo In River State Igbo Or Ijaw?: See Towns And Village Names by Nobody: 7:08am On Apr 27, 2017
MultiCEO1:
Igbo is a nation. Ikwerre, Ika, Nkwerre, wawa, Ngwa, etche, Igbere, etc are all tribes in the igbo nation. I am an Igbere man from Abia state. you are Ikwerre from rivers. If you are not Igbo. I am not Igbo. If you claim Ikwerre, then I claim Igbere.
Igbo has over 200 dialects with Abia state alone having more than 30.
A dialect becomes a language if it loses mutual intelligibility with the mother tongue. Ikwerre has not lost that. Igbere has not lost that. That mutual intelligibility in the Igbo language which ensures that an ikwerre man or Igbere man from the interior can fairly understand the 'central Igbo' or the igbo language of a real cosmopolitan city without aid or requiring interpretation even if he can only speak his dialect is what makes and leaves us all Igbo. You can hardly understand my dialect if you ate not from my place. Same with an ikwerre man. But the moment I step down to the central Igbo language, the confusion will be settled. This can't be if an ikwerre, Ibere, igbere, waka or nteje man goes to the north or south.
Meanwhile, Ijaw is Ijaw. Ijaw is not an ethnic group in the Igbo nation, same with many other tribes in old eastern region.

Ikwerre, Nkwerre, Igbere, Ibere are all tribes in the Igbo nation.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Ogu-bolo In River State Igbo Or Ijaw?: See Towns And Village Names by nuelsylves(m): 7:08am On Apr 27, 2017
clevadani:

I have seen people bearing Hausa names and they aren't Hausas. You should know that larger groups influence smaller groups especially when it comes to language.

Why haven't the Igbos influenced the Igalas in Anambra state both in languages, name bearing, traditions and cultures?

Tomorrow if crude oil is discovered in Igbo part of Benue state, you guys will start telling us that they are no longer Igbos.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Ogu-bolo In River State Igbo Or Ijaw?: See Towns And Village Names by bigfrancis21: 7:10am On Apr 27, 2017
cheruv:

Nope...they're 80% Igbo

For real? What languages do Ogu-Bolo people speak?

I think Hilda Dokubo, the actress, is from Ogu-Bolo.
Re: Is Ogu-bolo In River State Igbo Or Ijaw?: See Towns And Village Names by nuelsylves(m): 7:12am On Apr 27, 2017
[quote author=AwiLand post=55957228][/quote]

Bro you have said it all.

Don't mind all these people trying so hard to decisive themselves.

1 Like

Re: Is Ogu-bolo In River State Igbo Or Ijaw?: See Towns And Village Names by invisibeTroll: 7:25am On Apr 27, 2017
YelloweWest:

Fine I agree Igbo denial came after the civil war. We want to maintain it that way. The only constant in life is change .

So we have changed. We are no longer igbo.

Are u satisfied now?? Or do I want to force me to be Igbo??

Yeah change is constant. Just keep changing na when una turn to Fulani your eye go clear.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Is Ogu-bolo In River State Igbo Or Ijaw?: See Towns And Village Names by ONYII4TRUT: 7:28am On Apr 27, 2017
RobbStark:
Ogu Bolo is not Igbo but Ijaw. Same as Opobo and almost all the other communities that share the same salty water.

Continue in your delusion Biafrans

U d delusional person here. Ask ur father who jaja of opobo was. Refuse to b deceived by Nigeria. U r who u are. U r in the minority. Igbos are not looking for ppl to join them in their quest. What is south south. Pre war era where were these divisions?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Ogu-bolo In River State Igbo Or Ijaw?: See Towns And Village Names by Nobody: 7:35am On Apr 27, 2017
AwiLand:

So you also change your Village Name because of that relationship too...... Then Nigeria should have been Newcastle or scoltland, Ogun Lagos (EKO) should have been Sunderland or Manchester, then nobody should have beeen called Tayo, ade but all round english names..... Think! Think !!Think !!!
Oga, where did Port Harcourt come from? Or why is Rivers called that name. That they have a relationship with an ethnic group does not make them same. They can choose to be who they want.
Re: Is Ogu-bolo In River State Igbo Or Ijaw?: See Towns And Village Names by DrWillie(m): 7:40am On Apr 27, 2017
Ikechukwuni6:

Dude none of us are aware if ogu-bolo truly are ijaws. Did you see any ijaws provide any evidence to back up their claim..

If you have been in this forum long enough, you would known that is how ijaws are. They did the same exact thing during discussion about ndoki and egbema. Literally even when people quoted the community in question, they still till this very day maintains those people are them. Recall few weeks ago the urhobo actually had a protest over ijaws claiming one of their territory.

Like I said before, believe ijaws claim of any land with a grain of salt.

The Ogu-obolo could well be igbo or even after ethnic group that is neither igbo or ijaws until proven otherwise..
You guys should stop making yourself look silly. If you don't know ask questions and stop generalizing. Ogu/bolo is Okrika and Okrika is Ijaw. I am not conversant with all the LGAs and the towns in them. But when I saw this post I was surprised to see those names because it does not correlate with what I know. Ogu/Bolo people don't bear Igbo names and don't speak Igbo. They speak Okrika which is Ijaw! I am glad that someone with better knowledge just clarified the mix up with ONELGA. Stop fighting over lies. The only part of Rivers state that are Igbo in nature are ikwerre and upwards. No salt water having community is close to Igbo in origin or otherwise. They may have married or bought Igbo slaves in the past but were never Igbo!!

3 Likes

Re: Is Ogu-bolo In River State Igbo Or Ijaw?: See Towns And Village Names by Totti9(m): 7:44am On Apr 27, 2017
majekdom2:
colonialism or education is not the only reason a group may bear names and have a similar language. Business relationship may and a whole lot. Rivers is not Igbo!
business relationship u say? Lol ur very very funny i do business with hausa,tiv, fulani, yoruba, ibibio but i haven't changed my igbo names to theirs ? How many of ur customers have u change ur names to theirs? you this dumb motherfucker grin

2 Likes

Re: Is Ogu-bolo In River State Igbo Or Ijaw?: See Towns And Village Names by Afriifa(m): 7:59am On Apr 27, 2017
folarinmiles:
Anywhere afta ondo state in the South is Igbo to me
you must have been really ignorant back then in school, I weep for your school fees
Re: Is Ogu-bolo In River State Igbo Or Ijaw?: See Towns And Village Names by Afriifa(m): 8:00am On Apr 27, 2017
RobbStark:
Ogu Bolo is not Igbo but Ijaw. Same as Opobo and almost all the other communities that share the same salty water.

Continue in your delusion Biafrans
All right. I don't know my this Igbos always find a way to link us.

1 Like

Re: Is Ogu-bolo In River State Igbo Or Ijaw?: See Towns And Village Names by anaton(m): 8:01am On Apr 27, 2017
lezz:
@ the emboldened! That is the dumbest strain at logic I have read so far all year .

You bear English name out of colonisation and subjugation while still bearing your local names and surname.

Were you colonised or educated by Igbos?

What's your own native names before you began bearing Igbo names?

Did your father and his father not bear Igbo names as well?

Chai! See finishing
Re: Is Ogu-bolo In River State Igbo Or Ijaw?: See Towns And Village Names by Afriifa(m): 8:01am On Apr 27, 2017
mordsith:

What are Yoruba people doing on this thread
how are you sure, they are all Yorubas?
Re: Is Ogu-bolo In River State Igbo Or Ijaw?: See Towns And Village Names by Afriifa(m): 8:03am On Apr 27, 2017
YelloweWest:
Ogubolo is Okirika Ijaw!
leave them let them keep arguing bullshits.

1 Like

Re: Is Ogu-bolo In River State Igbo Or Ijaw?: See Towns And Village Names by Afriifa(m): 8:04am On Apr 27, 2017
Benekruku:
Purely an Ijaw Kingdom!
leave them let dem be arguing
Re: Is Ogu-bolo In River State Igbo Or Ijaw?: See Towns And Village Names by Totti9(m): 8:05am On Apr 27, 2017
majekdom2:
Oga, where did Port Harcourt come from? Or why is Rivers called that name. That they have a relationship with an ethnic group does not make them same. They can choose to be who they want.
just look at the way u keep implicating ur self, u can change names of places or people as many times as u wish but u can't change the history or indigenous names they bear from times immemoria Ph -igweocha Lagos - Eko
Re: Is Ogu-bolo In River State Igbo Or Ijaw?: See Towns And Village Names by Afriifa(m): 8:06am On Apr 27, 2017
RobbStark:

Me Yoruba? Nah.

It seems history didnt teach you guys anything.
The same mistake your ancestor Ojukwu made and ran away, is the same you peeps/children are making and you expect to have a different result? only a fool does that.

I repeat, no part of Rivers State that has a connection to the salty water is Igbo.
Go do your homework.
Be it Ogu Bolo, Opobo, Bonny, the Kalabaris, Okirika, Engenni, Abua, Andoni et al are all Ijaws.

just ignore that ignorant
Re: Is Ogu-bolo In River State Igbo Or Ijaw?: See Towns And Village Names by Kingdolo(m): 8:17am On Apr 27, 2017
WITH THIS MAP I REST MY CASE

Re: Is Ogu-bolo In River State Igbo Or Ijaw?: See Towns And Village Names by hammer6: 8:18am On Apr 27, 2017
bigfrancis21:

For real? What languages do Ogu-Bolo people speak?

I think Hilda Dokubo, the actress, is from Ogu-Bolo.

The 80% is probably through marriages. The one thing that is consistent with ijaw is marrying from other tribes.

In Ondo and Delta, that was how the itsekiri, Apoi, Arogbo,(mixed yoruba and ijaw) Bini Ijaw and Isoko were created or though the Isoko are also mixed with Igbo and Urhoboo.

I dont see how Ijaw can be claiming people that share other ethinicity as Ijaw.

TonyeBarcanista is even claiming Eastern Obolo people or Andoni as Ijaw. They are in actual fact Ibibio subgroup.

People that live on land that the ijaws never reached both in Rivers and Akwa Ibom states.

Ijaw would have even claimed Ogoni if not for war between them and Okirika.

Rivers state is not ijaw, their are igbo sub group, igbo mixed with ibibio subgroup and igbo mixed with ijaw sub-group.

The main body of ijaw speakers are in Bayelsa.
Re: Is Ogu-bolo In River State Igbo Or Ijaw?: See Towns And Village Names by Nobody: 8:18am On Apr 27, 2017
Totti9:
business relationship u say? Lol ur very very funny i do business with hausa,tiv, fulani, yoruba, ibibio but i haven't changed my igbo names to theirs ? How many of ur customers have u change ur names to theirs? you this dumb motherfucker grin
you want to compare times past with now. Africans were taken to American for different reasons, would you say the generation born after they had different relationships i.e including sexual are still Africans ?? Yes, they have their roots in Africa but they are No longer Africans... thats what it is.
Re: Is Ogu-bolo In River State Igbo Or Ijaw?: See Towns And Village Names by Nobody: 8:19am On Apr 27, 2017
Totti9:
just look at the way u keep implicating ur self, u can change names of places or people as many times as u wish but u can't change the history or indigenous names they bear from times immemoria Ph -igweocha Lagos - Eko
Yes, we can't change the History of African Americans.... does the history still make them Africans even as some bear African names. There are a group of whites in Southern African countries... do they claim to be European in those countries. Thats what it is.... migration, relationships change an ethnic group over time.
Re: Is Ogu-bolo In River State Igbo Or Ijaw?: See Towns And Village Names by Kingdolo(m): 8:21am On Apr 27, 2017
WITH THIS MAP I REST MY CASE.

Re: Is Ogu-bolo In River State Igbo Or Ijaw?: See Towns And Village Names by hammer6: 8:22am On Apr 27, 2017
Kingdolo:
WITH THIS MAP I REST MY CASE.

The map is not correct. It did not feature Opobo which is igbo land with full access to the sea and many igbo land are missing.

1 Like

Re: Is Ogu-bolo In River State Igbo Or Ijaw?: See Towns And Village Names by Kingdolo(m): 8:27am On Apr 27, 2017
hammer6:

The map is not correct. It did not feature Opobo which is igbo land with full access to the sea and many igbo land are missing.
Hahahha, I think you must be crazy.
Feature which Igbo land in PH?

Re: Is Ogu-bolo In River State Igbo Or Ijaw?: See Towns And Village Names by mfm04622: 8:27am On Apr 27, 2017
Addicted2Women:

We don't give a flying fucck if they're igbo, Hausa or Afghanistan

If you ask them if Rivers state is igbo state, they wil get angry and warn you not to call them igbos

Meanwhile those dumb fuccks have igbo names such as Amechi, Chibuike, Nwike, Nnanna, Ngozi, Onyemechi, Nwene

What are they if they're not igbo ?? Are they Hausa, Yoruba or what ?? Or are they Americans ??

Now tell me the meaning of those names and if they're not igbo names

It's just like having Musa Umaru as my name and then telling you that I'm not Hausa

Those dudes are confused and naturally dumb

We don't want them in our igbo states, they should join the Fulani herdsmen if they want

Not all Musa Umaru are Hausa! Musa Umaru may be Yoruba, Ebira, Nupe, Kanuri, Kabba, Gwari, etc. May even be Fulani. In addition, you can't define what somebody else is! You can't know another person or group as he/she/they know himself / herself / themselves.
Re: Is Ogu-bolo In River State Igbo Or Ijaw?: See Towns And Village Names by hammer6: 8:29am On Apr 27, 2017
Kingdolo:

Hahahha, I think you must be crazy.
Feature which Igbo land in PH?

igbo land extends to the deep blue sea in rivers.

then their is delta, edo, cross river, benue with igbo areas.

until those territory are included ur map is flawed.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (18) (Reply)

Fashola: Linking Me With Naira Marley’s Flight Is Ridiculous / Adamu Garba: Tinubu Was Betrayed By Osinbajo And SW Govs Not Buhari / Senate President Saraki Visits Atiku Abubakar (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.