Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,093 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:35 AM

Nigerian Coach Denied Anthony Joshua's Request To Represent Nigeria at Olympics - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigerian Coach Denied Anthony Joshua's Request To Represent Nigeria at Olympics (20997 Views)

Super Eagles Coach, Rohr Names Four Strikers To Represent Nigeria In Egypt / Nigerian Coach And Two Athletes Disappear At Commonwealth Games / Ola Aina Cleared By FIFA To Represent Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Coach Denied Anthony Joshua's Request To Represent Nigeria at Olympics by Okoyiboz3: 1:16pm On Apr 27, 2017
Tolexander:
The coach could be justified if Joshua King was not good enough to represent Nigeria for the event.

Where Nigerian Boxing Federation isn't justified or got things wrong is not keeping tab on the guy concerning his development

If that guy had represented Nigeria, his destiny would have been ruined. Nigeria has a way of rewarding its brightest stars with evil.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Coach Denied Anthony Joshua's Request To Represent Nigeria at Olympics by Kakamorufu(m): 1:16pm On Apr 27, 2017
to slap that coach dey hungry me

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Coach Denied Anthony Joshua's Request To Represent Nigeria at Olympics by Nobody: 1:16pm On Apr 27, 2017
this one weak me
Re: Nigerian Coach Denied Anthony Joshua's Request To Represent Nigeria at Olympics by sorry1(m): 1:22pm On Apr 27, 2017
CEOJAMIENAIJA:
Sports writer and broadcaster for BBC Sport, Oluwashina Okeleji, shared these surprising new revelations miniutes ago. British boxing champion of Nigerian ancestry, Anthony Joshua, wanted to represent Nigeria at the 2012 Olympics, but a coach in Abuja told him there was no chance.

Joshua reportedly asked to join the Nigerian trials but was told that if he was good enough he'd represent England instead of coming back to Nigeria.

SOURCE: http://www.jamienaija.com/2017/04/do-you-know-nigerian-coach-denied.html

quota system is to blame. By the way, when is his fight with the Russian champion klichko?
Re: Nigerian Coach Denied Anthony Joshua's Request To Represent Nigeria at Olympics by bys: 1:26pm On Apr 27, 2017
Rejection is the Best Motivation!!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Coach Denied Anthony Joshua's Request To Represent Nigeria at Olympics by dacovajnr: 1:31pm On Apr 27, 2017
No be so adebayo too take go undecided He was at under17 camp but was rejected probably coz he didn't bribe his way in undecided

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Coach Denied Anthony Joshua's Request To Represent Nigeria at Olympics by vantage001: 2:00pm On Apr 27, 2017
Imagine having a mid-fielder like dele alli in the Nigerian super-eagles? That is like having 21 year a goal scoring lampard.
Not to mention the boundless potential that young lad has.
England really robbed Nigeria blind here.
Tamuno Abraham aka Tammy abraham the chelsea feeder team player is the top scorer in the England championship at Just 20 years old. I can bet Nigeria will lose him too.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Coach Denied Anthony Joshua's Request To Represent Nigeria at Olympics by Nobody: 2:02pm On Apr 27, 2017
Guyman02:
That coach probably based on sentiments felt that the name Anthony Joshua sounded like 'inyamiri' (Igbo) name and therefore he should not be allowed to represent Nigeria and get paid with FG money. I had a personal experience like that when I wanted to join the Nigerian Army as an officer, perhaps if I had known I would sought to join the British or US Army.

Well, first off, while there is tribalism in Nigeria (don't we know it well), this your comment get k-leg.

1.You seem to imply that the coach who rejected Anthony was a Hausa man...and he rejected Anthony because his name sounds like Igbo name.

2.Here is the list of boxing coaches to the London 2012 olympics for Nigeria (From this thread

BOXING

1. Akanji Muideen Olalekan - 75kg
2. Lawal Lukmon Olaiwola - 81kg
3. Ogoke Edith Agu (Female) - 75kg
4. Idika Nsofor - Coach
5. Anthony Konyegwachie - Coach
6. Patrick Uwagbale - Admin. Personnel
7. Major-Gen. Tobiah Minimah - Team Leader

There are two coaches. One coach is Igbo. The other coach is from Edo/Delta (and the younger brother of Peter Konyegwachie who won Olympic silver in 1984 at the LA games in the US).

There is no Hausa name there. Infact, all the coaches and athletes are Southerners, and one of the coaches is even Igbo!

3.Please, don't post false and inflamatory information on this thread. Tribalisim is a serious problem in Nigeria...and one of the things that fuels it is false information.

Thank you.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Coach Denied Anthony Joshua's Request To Represent Nigeria at Olympics by AlphaStyles(m): 2:03pm On Apr 27, 2017
another talent lost
Re: Nigerian Coach Denied Anthony Joshua's Request To Represent Nigeria at Olympics by Philistine(m): 2:04pm On Apr 27, 2017
Tolexander:
The coach could be justified if Joshua King was not good enough to represent Nigeria for the event.

Where Nigerian Boxing Federation isn't justified or got things wrong is not keeping tab on the guy concerning his development
Justified? Do u know Anthony Joshua went on to win the Olympic gold in boxing that same year? And None of the boxers that represented Nigeria in boxing won a medal!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Coach Denied Anthony Joshua's Request To Represent Nigeria at Olympics by freethesheeple(m): 2:07pm On Apr 27, 2017
I vowed that if i travel outside,i will deny Nigeria at Any cost!!..So much hated this cursed nation..Go antony...I support u...Pls deny being a Nigerian!!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Coach Denied Anthony Joshua's Request To Represent Nigeria at Olympics by Nobody: 2:07pm On Apr 27, 2017
sorry1:
quota system is to blame. By the way, when is his fight with the Russian champion klichko?

What quota system,pray tell me?

Some of you people on Nairaland self...

Oya...here is the list of coaches and boxers that represented Nigeria at London 2012.

1. Akanji Muideen Olalekan - 75kg(South West)
2. Lawal Lukmon Olaiwola - 81kg(South West)
3. Ogoke Edith Agu (Female) - 75kg(South East)

4. Idika Nsofor - Coach(South East)
5. Anthony Konyegwachie - Coach(South South)

6. Patrick Uwagbale - Admin. Personnel(South South)
7. Major-Gen. Tobiah Minimah - Team Leader(South South)

Do you see any Northerner/Hausa sounding name there.?
Infact, them Northerners are even being discrimated against (For the record, the North has not really produced boxers)

Abeg...don't post false information.
Re: Nigerian Coach Denied Anthony Joshua's Request To Represent Nigeria at Olympics by vantage001: 2:07pm On Apr 27, 2017
Tamuno Abraham has 23 goals in 16 games for bristol city who are set to be promoted to the premiership.
He was born in October 1997, barely 20. This guy is the most sought after striker for middle-table teams in the premiership including Everton and southampton.
And he has far more technicality in his game than Lukaku has at 23.
Re: Nigerian Coach Denied Anthony Joshua's Request To Represent Nigeria at Olympics by Nobody: 2:11pm On Apr 27, 2017
vantage001:
Tamuno Abraham has 23 goals in 16 games for bristol city who are set to be promoted to the premiership.
He was born in October 1997, barely 20. This guy is the most sought after striker for middle-table teams in the premiership including Everton and southampton.
And he has far more technicality in his game than Lukaku has at 23.

Bristol City are 17th in the Championship, thus won't get promoted.

So far the teams promoted are Brighton and Hove Albion and Newcastle UTD.

But he does look good...hope NFL are looking at him. Although England has a much better record of selecting black players than it did 20-30 years ago....still...a Nigerian player born abroad should consider playing for Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Coach Denied Anthony Joshua's Request To Represent Nigeria at Olympics by humberjade: 2:14pm On Apr 27, 2017
abbeyty:
Thank God he was dinned, they must have killed his career by now

Abi, with their "there are no funds to call athletes to camp" song.

A blessing in disguise...d turn-down 4rm d coach must have pushed him to become dis successful.

Lesson: Never give up on ur dreams no matter d discouragement; you are d architect of ur fortune or misfortune.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Coach Denied Anthony Joshua's Request To Represent Nigeria at Olympics by vantage001: 2:18pm On Apr 27, 2017
9jakohai:

Bristol City are 17th in the Championship, thus won't get promoted.

So far the teams promoted are Brighton and Hove Albion and Newcastle UTD.

But he does look good...hope NFL are looking at him. Although England has a much better record of selecting black players than it did 20-30 years ago....still...a Nigerian player born abroad should consider playing for Nigeria.
yeah, sorry mistake it for brighton. Still Tamuno is not remaining in the championship next season.
There is going to be a loan bidding war for him next season. His father supposedly grew up in the same street in warri with the current NFF chairman.
They need to get that guy by any means. Chelea most prolific feeder team player ever. He is going to be better than Lukaku.
Re: Nigerian Coach Denied Anthony Joshua's Request To Represent Nigeria at Olympics by mfm04622: 2:20pm On Apr 27, 2017
Tolexander:

He did represented Britain at the 2012 Olympics and won gold. So the coach was wrong

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Coach Denied Anthony Joshua's Request To Represent Nigeria at Olympics by azpekuliar: 2:39pm On Apr 27, 2017
Tolexander:

Shut up please! Joshua went on to win Olympic Gold! The end should have justified the means. We did not come back from the 2012 Olympics with a single medal! Joshua (and Nigeria) must have been at the receiving end of the "Quota system" yet again.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Coach Denied Anthony Joshua's Request To Represent Nigeria at Olympics by ManTiger(m): 2:45pm On Apr 27, 2017
Guyman02:
That coach probably based on sentiments felt that the name Anthony Joshua sounded like 'inyamiri' (Igbo) name and therefore he should not be allowed to represent Nigeria and get paid with FG money. I had a personal experience like that when I wanted to join the Nigerian Army as an officer, perhaps if I had known I would sought to join the British or US Army.

I can relate with the bolded.

A brother applied to join Nigerian Army and was told to pay 1k which he did, he applied to UK army through army.mod.uk and was selected but needed a guarantor who is a citizen, he applied to French Foreign Legion and was told to come to Aubumeng for trial and lastly applied and get enlisted in Canadian Army after getting into the country as a refugee.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Coach Denied Anthony Joshua's Request To Represent Nigeria at Olympics by adeyemi91(m): 2:45pm On Apr 27, 2017
@last pix, if Rock launch dah guy 1 blow for head.. Him career go fry ni.. grin grin
Re: Nigerian Coach Denied Anthony Joshua's Request To Represent Nigeria at Olympics by mapet: 2:46pm On Apr 27, 2017
Tolexander:

Bros,

FYI

As an amateur he represented Britain at the 2012 Olympics, winning a gold medal in the super-heavyweight division;

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Coach Denied Anthony Joshua's Request To Represent Nigeria at Olympics by Tolexander: 2:47pm On Apr 27, 2017
azpekuliar:

Shut up please! Joshua went on to win Olympic Gold! The end should have justified the means. We did not come back from the 2012 Olympics with a single medal! Joshua (and Nigeria) must have been at the receiving end of the "Quota system" yet again.
mfm04622:

He did represented Britain at the 2012 Olympics and won gold. So the coach was wrong
Philistine:

Justified? Do u know Anthony Joshua went on to win the Olympic gold in boxing that same year? And None of the boxers that represented Nigeria in boxing won a medal!
So he went to the Olympic straight away without British Boxing Board of Control working on him and training him up technically and physically using their facilities and coaches?

You wanna tell if the other nigerian boxers had the opportunity to use the British facilities like Joshua had used, they wouldn't perform better in the tournament?

Moreover, each coach knows what he wants in his boxers and Anthony Joshua probably didn't possess them then.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Coach Denied Anthony Joshua's Request To Represent Nigeria at Olympics by wink2015(m): 2:58pm On Apr 27, 2017
Can this Anthony Joshua beat the Ukraine Rock, Vladimir Klitsko?
Re: Nigerian Coach Denied Anthony Joshua's Request To Represent Nigeria at Olympics by Nbote(m): 3:17pm On Apr 27, 2017
Some of u supporting d coach and saying he wasn't gud enof, why wasn't he given d opportunity at d trials to convince dem? What he even asked for was to attend trials and impress dem he definitely impressed d English and went ahead to represent dem and d rest is history. Trust our sports ministries and their quota and man no man system which is exactly why we kip flopping and Neva get anything done. It's mindset from ur likes dat kips encouraging such nonsense... Chukwumerije got to represent Nigeria at d Olympics because he had a senator fada and as such had d necessary connect. We saw some american based gals fund demselves to represent d country jus last year in Brazil, are we saying dey didn't try to contact d ministry and got turned down as well. Our politicians have succeeded in politicizing everything

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Coach Denied Anthony Joshua's Request To Represent Nigeria at Olympics by BISIXCLUSIVE: 3:20pm On Apr 27, 2017
samx4real:
Who is Anthony Joshua?

If u don't get me right? I met who him elp? and why should we be crying for a spilled milk?
Go to ijebu ode,ask of ibadan road, that is where ANTHONY JOSHUA family dey, ask them who him help. You self go Don see his pic on flex infront of that house, walk in there and ask your questions.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Coach Denied Anthony Joshua's Request To Represent Nigeria at Olympics by DandyWalker(m): 3:52pm On Apr 27, 2017
Guyman02:
Must you tribalise everthing?. Joshua is actually a yoruba guy.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Coach Denied Anthony Joshua's Request To Represent Nigeria at Olympics by Guyman02: 4:15pm On Apr 27, 2017
DandyWalker:
Must you tribalise everthing?. Joshua is actually a yoruba guy.

Yes, its the same thing. He may have faced discrimination because he is Yoruba and the coaches probably wanted there own relations and knismen to represent Nigeria
Re: Nigerian Coach Denied Anthony Joshua's Request To Represent Nigeria at Olympics by samsongbemisola(m): 4:15pm On Apr 27, 2017
In Nigeria it is man know man. You either know someone in authority or pay to get it. The Nigerian coach knew Anthony Joshua will not pay or share his bonuses with them if he was selected because he does not have the Nigerian mentality of buying your way up. Anthony Joshua have a British mentality and he will never agree to that type of mentality of buying your way up. The Nigerian coaches knew his chances of winning his high so to avoid him winning and exposing the corruption involved in the boxing trial they decided not to let him participate.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Coach Denied Anthony Joshua's Request To Represent Nigeria at Olympics by redcliff: 4:16pm On Apr 27, 2017
Awoo88:
Nigeria coaches do that all the time. They use quota system. It was done to Adeboye, alaba etc. Okocha's nephew got to play after he was shining for Arsenal.

You think that if Alaba was playing for nigeria that he would be somewhere today in his career? There is something that when you associate yourself with, nothing works out for you. This is nigeria's case

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Coach Denied Anthony Joshua's Request To Represent Nigeria at Olympics by sorry1(m): 10:11pm On Apr 27, 2017
9jakohai:

What quota system,pray tell me?

Some of you people on Nairaland self...

Oya...here is the list of coaches and boxers that represented Nigeria at London 2012.

1. Akanji Muideen Olalekan - 75kg(South West)
2. Lawal Lukmon Olaiwola - 81kg(South West)
3. Ogoke Edith Agu (Female) - 75kg(South East)

4. Idika Nsofor - Coach(South East)
5. Anthony Konyegwachie - Coach(South South)

6. Patrick Uwagbale - Admin. Personnel(South South)
7. Major-Gen. Tobiah Minimah - Team Leader(South South)

Do you see any Northerner/Hausa sounding name there.?
Infact, them Northerners are even being discrimated against (For the record, the North has not really produced boxers)

Abeg...don't post false information.
Lol, you dull small sha... did I mention north when I said quota system but you have used your mouth to tell the whole world northerners are the major beneficiaries of quota B.S.

There's no Northerner in your list because northerners had no one that has interest in boxing. truth is mine.
Re: Nigerian Coach Denied Anthony Joshua's Request To Represent Nigeria at Olympics by Justiceleague1: 2:45am On Apr 28, 2017
ANTHONY JOSHUA...certainly not a cone headed tigerclaws grin
Gudluck on ur 29th bout wif klitchko,brother.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Hazard Confirms He Has Spoken With PSG About Transfer / Everton FC Welcome Rafa Benitez, New Boss / Lionel Messi And Cristiano Ronaldo Now Out Of Champions League again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.