Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,361 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:31 PM

Ooni’s Palace Reacts To Snub By Oba Of Lagos; 'if We Don’t Receive An Apology..' - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ooni’s Palace Reacts To Snub By Oba Of Lagos; 'if We Don’t Receive An Apology..' (64731 Views)

Man Breaks Ooni Ogunwusi's Gates, Rams Into Ooni Palace / Lagos Is Not Yoruba Land By Oba Akinolu / Ooni Of Ife Chills With Oba Of Elegushi After Being Snubbed By Oba Of Lagos.PIC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ooni’s Palace Reacts To Snub By Oba Of Lagos; 'if We Don’t Receive An Apology..' by miketayo(m): 4:07pm On Apr 27, 2017
DrGoodman:
My own opinion?

The position of the Oba and ooni should be scrapped and them both be made to work hard like the ordinary men and women around.

For God's sake, we have governors, senators and leaders of thought in OPC, Afenifere and other Yoruba organisations. If all these bodies cannot unite them, nobody can.

Stop glorifying these old men who just show off with your money and create problems for everybody.

If you don't like my opinion, ask the Oba of Lagos where to jump from as you take a long swim at his lagoon grin

Oni of Ife was a millionaire before he became d Oba, wont change much moneywise if he wasn't a king.
Oba of Lagos was just a police officers

2 Likes

Re: Ooni’s Palace Reacts To Snub By Oba Of Lagos; 'if We Don’t Receive An Apology..' by kindredspirit(m): 4:07pm On Apr 27, 2017
Yinkame123:

Before you throw tantrum to the royals and advising that their stool be scrapped please extend the same recommendations to Queen of England then we will listened to your senseless recommendations.

Actually, there are some in the UK that feel that the Monarchy should be scrapped. They come out with placards to protest sometimes when the Queen is out and about. They are called the "anti-monarchists". Don't forget also that the powers of the Queen were whittled down some years ago by Parliament.

I personally feel Monarchies and so-called Royalty is seriously overhyped. Why must I genuflect and bow down before someone whose ascendancy to a throne I had nothing to do about ? Then my kids will bow down to their kids too. Someone with the same human flaws and weaknesses that I have. The whole concept is simply absurd to me. To my mind, it oughtnt have a place in modern era.

And don't get me started about "tradition" as even the so-called "Kings" and "royals" themselves have started to jettison the "traditions", preferring foreign cultures, clothing, religion etc
Re: Ooni’s Palace Reacts To Snub By Oba Of Lagos; 'if We Don’t Receive An Apology..' by yele66: 4:13pm On Apr 27, 2017
BuariCopyPaste:
Everyone should brace up....

Another ancestor is about dropping from the sky like Oduduwa

No wonder your wife left you just one week after marriage. Despicable bigot!!!
Re: Ooni’s Palace Reacts To Snub By Oba Of Lagos; 'if We Don’t Receive An Apology..' by YonkijiSappo: 4:22pm On Apr 27, 2017
Guyman02:

Coming from the same person who is always looking for Biafra thread to comment and write trash; now you dont want them to do likewise on your Obas washing their dirty linen in public cheesy cheesy smart Omo'odua

1- I don't look for Biafura threads to comment on
2- If you agree then that Biafra is a 100% Igbo afffair, and is a cultural rather than a political issue, then I will even make it a priority never to comment on any Biafra threads that cross my path.

But you can't.
Re: Ooni’s Palace Reacts To Snub By Oba Of Lagos; 'if We Don’t Receive An Apology..' by martinsfm(m): 4:31pm On Apr 27, 2017
Bt ure cool the queen of england still rules
DrGoodman:
My own opinion?

The position of the Oba and ooni should be scrapped and them both be made to work hard like the ordinary men and women around.

For God's sake, we have governors, senators and leaders of thought in OPC, Afenifere and other Yoruba organisations. If all these bodies cannot unite them, nobody can.

Stop glorifying these old men who just show off with your money and create problems for everybody.

If you don't like my opinion, ask the Oba of Lagos where to jump from as you take a long swim at his lagoon grin
Re: Ooni’s Palace Reacts To Snub By Oba Of Lagos; 'if We Don’t Receive An Apology..' by josite: 4:34pm On Apr 27, 2017
lagos chieftain costume shows eko was founded by a bini man and this same oba of lagos has truthfully said so before so his act may be deliberate.telling the oni of ife,he is not under his authority.This is a matter for erudite historian to resolve.the oba of lagos may ,like me ,not have liked the way oni of ife carried on.cant a man stop what he or she doesnt want from coming near him?.i declare akiolu innocent.
Re: Ooni’s Palace Reacts To Snub By Oba Of Lagos; 'if We Don’t Receive An Apology..' by TheShopKeeper(m): 4:37pm On Apr 27, 2017
Common sense, the Oba of Lagos should at least acknowledge his fellow monarch ou of courtesy.
Re: Ooni’s Palace Reacts To Snub By Oba Of Lagos; 'if We Don’t Receive An Apology..' by nisai: 4:39pm On Apr 27, 2017
sarrki:
We should allow them to settle it

No domain is superior to one

We should learn to live in peace
You and this your political correctness na waa ooo. grin grin
Re: Ooni’s Palace Reacts To Snub By Oba Of Lagos; 'if We Don’t Receive An Apology..' by nisai: 4:43pm On Apr 27, 2017
YonkijiSappo:

Waay better than Osu slave Igbo versus Freeborn Igbo vs clueless Alusis of Igboland
Now, go munch on some stinky akpu and stop 'shooking' nose in matter wey no concern you.
Bro, exercise joy on these people at times now haba grin grin You don't have to summon scud missile all the time grin grin Peace bro, peace.
Re: Ooni’s Palace Reacts To Snub By Oba Of Lagos; 'if We Don’t Receive An Apology..' by Fideo(m): 4:53pm On Apr 27, 2017
Adaowerri111:
Afonja vs Afonja vs Afonja gods
Sensless kid little u knw abt life just take ur time & growup
Re: Ooni’s Palace Reacts To Snub By Oba Of Lagos; 'if We Don’t Receive An Apology..' by abbeyty(m): 5:12pm On Apr 27, 2017
Traditional rulers in Nigeria should all be removed. They serve no purpose except to dress as clowns and loot money while their people suffer. Most of them are driving the latest Rolls Royce Phantom which cost well over $300,000 each. Waste of resources, but that lagoon king need to be sent to Ife to serve ojaja for the rest of his life as a punishment for his action
Re: Ooni’s Palace Reacts To Snub By Oba Of Lagos; 'if We Don’t Receive An Apology..' by miqos02(m): 5:18pm On Apr 27, 2017
DrGoodman:
My own opinion?

the same way the queen and dukes are working in ENGLAND?
Re: Ooni’s Palace Reacts To Snub By Oba Of Lagos; 'if We Don’t Receive An Apology..' by DrGoodman: 5:49pm On Apr 27, 2017
miqos02:
the same way the queen and dukes are working in ENGLAND?

Does this country look like England to you?

1 Like

Re: Ooni’s Palace Reacts To Snub By Oba Of Lagos; 'if We Don’t Receive An Apology..' by xcuggsm(m): 5:49pm On Apr 27, 2017
Onyejemechimere:

“If we don’t receive an apology especially with the image of Ile-Ife, we will call on the ancestors on the issue,” he said.
Really? But who do you think the 'ancestors' will listen to?
This reminds me on an altercation I had with my Yoruba colleague way back in the 90's. The guy threatened that he will take the matter to his ancestors. I replied him that I will in return take the matter to the living elders in my village to decide on the size of cooking pot and the condiments that will be appropriate for the pepper soup we will make with him. I don't need to tell you that the guy kept his distance henceforthe smiley
Morale: the action of the living always surpasses that of the dead in the land of the living. You are what you believe in!
Re: Ooni’s Palace Reacts To Snub By Oba Of Lagos; 'if We Don’t Receive An Apology..' by DimIsaac10(m): 5:53pm On Apr 27, 2017
wait... . let me ask d oracle
Re: Ooni’s Palace Reacts To Snub By Oba Of Lagos; 'if We Don’t Receive An Apology..' by Sleezwizz: 5:57pm On Apr 27, 2017
legendte:
Karma na real bitch ooo.

I remember how Afonjas dey hail the useless police turned oba when he threatened Igbos with the lagoon. Now them dey cry as the idiot snub their Ooni.

I dey always laugh when I hear Afonjas threatening people. Same way Awo ran to his hole and drank rat poison.

You have said this severally on different topics, don't u have another reasonable thing to say again?
Re: Ooni’s Palace Reacts To Snub By Oba Of Lagos; 'if We Don’t Receive An Apology..' by joeleerules(m): 6:18pm On Apr 27, 2017
DrGoodman:
My own opinion?

Maybe you should read a little about the Ooni of Ife before he became King, am sure he had life and wasn't just sleeping and waking expecting to be made king. Use your Google sir
Re: Ooni’s Palace Reacts To Snub By Oba Of Lagos; 'if We Don’t Receive An Apology..' by ATERI(m): 6:40pm On Apr 27, 2017
Is there any 70something in Yorubaland that would be ready to take a rock`n`roll yob calling himself Ooni while paying homage to Jesus Christ seriously?. He is actually lucky the person disgracing him is also an Oba. May Oduduwa continue to devalue those that devalue His religion.
Re: Ooni’s Palace Reacts To Snub By Oba Of Lagos; 'if We Don’t Receive An Apology..' by quiestla: 6:50pm On Apr 27, 2017
Guys what do you expect. When a tout Nigeria Policeman become Lagos King through Idiot Jagaban called Tinubu. How they will give Ooni of Ife respect. Bandit pple.

1 Like

Re: Ooni’s Palace Reacts To Snub By Oba Of Lagos; 'if We Don’t Receive An Apology..' by ATERI(m): 6:58pm On Apr 27, 2017
kindredspirit:

Actually, there are some in the UK that feel that the Monarchy should be scrapped. They come out with placards to protest sometimes when the Queen is out and about. They are called the "anti-monarchists". Don't forget also that the powers of the Queen were whittled down some years ago by Parliament.

I personally feel Monarchies and so-called Royalty is seriously overhyped. Why must I genuflect and bow down before someone whose ascendancy to a throne I had nothing to do about ? Then my kids will bow down to their kids too. Someone with the same human flaws and weaknesses that I have. The whole concept is simply absurd to me. To my mind, it oughtnt have a place in modern era.

And don't get me started about "tradition" as even the so-called "Kings" and "royals" themselves have started to jettison the "traditions", preferring foreign cultures, clothing, religion etc

Traditional rulers founded Yorubaland or England. Do you want me to tell you that the land that your parents handed over to you should be taken from you? I`m sure you wouldn`t like that. If you want to be honest with yourself, Nigeria has gone farther than England when it comes to drawing a line between political leadership and royalty, so they are not really the problem in Nigeria

As usual, Americans like to fool people that they are better because they have no royals, but are they better than the Netherlands that does have a royal family? So the royal family of any country is not the problem. There is Oba Oyekan because his ancestors fought in the past to have the enclave called Lagos State today. Ditto the Queen of England or Obi of Onitsha. They are your landlords, if you like!
Re: Ooni’s Palace Reacts To Snub By Oba Of Lagos; 'if We Don’t Receive An Apology..' by mmsen: 7:14pm On Apr 27, 2017
Yinkame123:

Before you throw tantrum to the royals and advising that their stool be scrapped please extend the same recommendations to Queen of England then we will listened to your senseless recommendations.

What is his business with northern Europeans?

If they want to waste money maintaining a monarchy what concern is it of ours?
Re: Ooni’s Palace Reacts To Snub By Oba Of Lagos; 'if We Don’t Receive An Apology..' by mmsen: 7:17pm On Apr 27, 2017
ATERI:

Traditional rulers founded Yorubaland or England. Do you want me to tell you that the land that your parents handed over to you should be taken from you? I`m sure you wouldn`t like that. If you want to be honest with yourself, Nigeria has gone farther than England when it comes to drawing a line between political leadership and royalty, so they are not really the problem in Nigeria

As usual, Americans like to fool people that they are better because they have no royals, but are they better than the Netherlands that does have a royal family? So the royal family of any country is not the problem. There is Oba Oyekan because his ancestors fought in the past to have the enclave called Lagos State today. Ditto the Queen of England or Obi of Onitsha. They are your landlords, if you like!

Landlords are responsible for the upkeep of a building. They have to ensure that the plumbing and outward appearance of the building are maintained.

What have any of these traditional rulers done to justify their positions? What do they do to earn their keep?

His comment was correct - we should scrap all of these monarchs and make use of the civil and political organization that we have to improve our environment.
Re: Ooni’s Palace Reacts To Snub By Oba Of Lagos; 'if We Don’t Receive An Apology..' by Omeokachie: 7:58pm On Apr 27, 2017
Lagoon loading...

Someone is about to hang on his own stake!
Re: Ooni’s Palace Reacts To Snub By Oba Of Lagos; 'if We Don’t Receive An Apology..' by kindredspirit(m): 8:01pm On Apr 27, 2017
ATERI:

Yes, I agree with you.

In those days, my forefathers could have been vassals in the fiefdom of some Royal. They were sworn to obeisance to those Royals who were indeed mighty men of yore. Kings who led men into battle. But what do we have today? Kings and royals that are no different from you and I. They are ordinary everyday pedestrian men. Exactly why should I bow down to them? I find it absurd, I say. For example look at the behaviour of Mr Ridwan Akiolu, the ex-policeman "King" of Lagos.

Talking about how land handed down to me can be taken by a King. Today there is a superior authority which is The REPUBLIC. It means that if I have documents to prove that my forefathers paid a consideration to purchase the land, I can even sue the King.

Modernity has leveled the playing field. As the years go by, and generations change, just watch as these Royals and Monarchs get found out for what they really are.

My opinion, Monarchies are anachronistic and should have no place in today's world. I'm sure you can even sense it's demise in Nigeria with the way even the Monarchs,themselves, supposed custodians of the traditions, go against it. Without tradition, the Monarchy is as good as dead.
Re: Ooni’s Palace Reacts To Snub By Oba Of Lagos; 'if We Don’t Receive An Apology..' by ATERI(m): 8:05pm On Apr 27, 2017
mmsen:

Landlords are responsible for the upkeep of a building. They have to ensure that the plumbing and outward appearance of the building are maintained.

What have any of these traditional rulers done to justify their positions? What do they do to earn their keep?

His comment was correct - we should scrap all of these monarchs and make use of the civil and political organization that we have to improve our environment.

At present, how are traditional rulers stopping you from making use of the civil and political organisations that you have to improve your life? So the political institutions you have in Nigeria today are working better than the traditional institutions, right?
Re: Ooni’s Palace Reacts To Snub By Oba Of Lagos; 'if We Don’t Receive An Apology..' by KnightB(m): 8:19pm On Apr 27, 2017
ShitHead:
You guys were laughing when the Oba said he would throw us into the Lagoon...not knowing that Oni would be the first victim of the Lagoon. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Shit head
Re: Ooni’s Palace Reacts To Snub By Oba Of Lagos; 'if We Don’t Receive An Apology..' by ATERI(m): 8:48pm On Apr 27, 2017
kindredspirit:

Yes, I agree with you.

In those days, my forefathers could have been vassals in the fiefdom of some Royal. They were sworn to obeisance to those Royals who were indeed mighty men of yore. Kings who led men into battle. But what do we have today? Kings and royals that are no different from you and I. They are ordinary everyday pedestrian men. Exactly why should I bow down to them? I find it absurd, I say. For example look at the behaviour of Mr Ridwan Akiolu, the ex-policeman "King" of Lagos.

Talking about how land handed down to me can be taken by a King. Today there is a superior authority which is The REPUBLIC. It means that if I have documents to prove that my forefathers paid a consideration to purchase the land, I can even sue the King.

Modernity has leveled the playing field. As the years go by, and generations change, just watch as these Royals and Monarchs get found out for what they really are.

My opinion, Monarchies are anachronistic and should have no place in today's world. I'm sure you can even sense it's demise in Nigeria with the way even the Monarchs,themselves, supposed custodians of the traditions, go against it. Without tradition, the Monarchy is as good as dead.

We don`t have to be unfair to the traditional rulers.

Over the years, their powers have been reduced hugely by the military and political elites. It is therefore unreasonable to expect performance after taking roles and responsiblities away from them. I have always asked myself whether Nigeria would be a better place if our traditional rulers are not around. Today, The best way to answer that question is to ask ourselves how they are stopping us from moving forward.,

Over 100 young Nigerians remain missing, but Goodluck Jonathan has moved on from the Chlbok girls. Iif the security of the Chibok girls were to be the responsibility of a chilbok traditional ruler, he would never move on from it, because the President would have his feet to the fire on top of being a laughing stock among fellow Emirs for ever.

Two, the internet has made it possible for Africans to see nudity as attractive and politicians don`t know what to do about it. How you dress is part and parcel of your culture, not suppose to be determined by others, politicians are not good in this area-it is the domain of the traditional rulers as the custodians of customs and tradition. So should you do away with traditional rulers, you will end up with political royals. Those political royals would be Awo and Ojukwu
Re: Ooni’s Palace Reacts To Snub By Oba Of Lagos; 'if We Don’t Receive An Apology..' by Reuben07(m): 8:59pm On Apr 27, 2017
all d 200 deities on d way 2 lagos. akiolu beta take cover.
Re: Ooni’s Palace Reacts To Snub By Oba Of Lagos; 'if We Don’t Receive An Apology..' by Reuben07(m): 9:00pm On Apr 27, 2017
all d 200 deities on d way 2 lagos.
Re: Ooni’s Palace Reacts To Snub By Oba Of Lagos; 'if We Don’t Receive An Apology..' by mmsen: 9:01pm On Apr 27, 2017
ATERI:

At present, how are traditional rulers stopping you from making use of the civil and political organisations that you have to improve your life? So the political institutions you have in Nigeria today are working better than the traditional institutions, right?

Believe it or not the traditional rulers are even more useless than the elected officials.

At least some of them are effective - which of the traditional rulers has been effective?
Re: Ooni’s Palace Reacts To Snub By Oba Of Lagos; 'if We Don’t Receive An Apology..' by ATERI(m): 9:49pm On Apr 27, 2017
mmsen:

Believe it or not the traditional rulers are even more useless than the elected officials.

At least some of them are effective - which of the traditional rulers has been effective?

Awujale of Ijebuland told Goodluck Jonathan that he won`t be telling the Ijebus how to vote during the last General Election, the most direct rejection by any traditional ruler in Nigeria. If you see any vigilante groups in Nigeria, they are usually put in place by traditional rulers after politicians have failed to provide security

Our traditional rulers played an ignoble role during the slave trade era, would always remind them that

Please, blame the politicians, with real executive powers, for today`s lapses
Re: Ooni’s Palace Reacts To Snub By Oba Of Lagos; 'if We Don’t Receive An Apology..' by mmsen: 10:13pm On Apr 27, 2017
ATERI:

Awujale of Ijebuland told Goodluck Jonathan that he won`t be telling the Ijebus how to vote during the last General Election, the most direct rejection by any traditional ruler in Nigeria. If you see any vigilante groups in Nigeria, they are usually put in place by traditional rulers after politicians have failed to provide security

Our traditional rulers played an ignoble role during the slave trade era, would always remind them that

Please, blame the politicians, with real executive powers, for today`s lapses

Telling people that you won't interfere in a system that has superseded your own powers is meaningless.

They cannot make anyone vote one way or another.

The fact they need to impose vigilante groups and cannot use other means to maintain order, such as ensuring that the local economy grows, is another sign of how useless they are.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lovely New Look Of Hope, Boy Said To Be A Witch & Left To Die On Streets Of Eket / Coronation Of Godwin Oguyenbo As The Pere Of Olodiama Kingdom Edo Causes Tension / Throwback Photos Of Naomi Oluwaseyi, Ooni Of Ife's New Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.