Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,332 members, 7,811,969 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:10 AM

Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? - Travel (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? (100538 Views)

US Shares Relief Materials To Nigerians In China Thrown Into The Streets / Nigerians In Diaspora Should Learn Good Behavior. / Obalende BRT Park: Bad Maintenance Culture Or Sheer Wickedness? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by tobaseye: 5:38am On Apr 29, 2017
Op is being inimical with the reality of living in abroad. I took time to read all the comments, and all the intended migrants need to know about life in abroad has been fully explained.

The question I usually ask people is that what exactly are you coming to do? and with what type of visa? knowing fully well they have visit or tourist visa in mind which does not even give them access to work.The notion that they have seen people that did travel with visit visa for many years that have not returned back home is actually boosting their confidence. But they do not know the condition of life those people are living and also that, what worked for people in the past may not be attainable now because of changes in immigration laws.

I for one can't even advice anyone to come to the UK even for studies now if their intention is to stay back after completing your studies. Because the chances of getting a company to sponsor their visa is very very slim. And considering the amount money involved and even the value of the certificate when you are back to Nigeria considering the present level of unemployment now. 99% of the students we came together are back to Nigeria not because they didn't want to stay back but because they couldn't get sponsors and they don't want to stay illegally which does not even make any sense. Majority are now regretting why they came in the first place as majority of them have not been able to secure job in Nigeria because of the situation of the country at the moment. They are regretting because they could have considered other countries that give post studies visa or you their invested their money in business in Nigeria.

My take is that if you want to travel weigh your options very well and be sure you have a solid plan. As for student visa, UK is not the best of place to come now. Consider countries that give post studies visa. At least you will have time to sort out your papers and also work and earn back part of your tuition and maintenance fees if not all during that period.

By and large, it takes someone already in abroad to understand the logic. Besides Nigeria is not moimoi at the moment I was there was Xmas last year things are not just adding up and recession is biting hard.

May God help our country..And save us from the hands of bad rulers........

There is no place like home take it or leave it.

19 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by ezeegolimited30(m): 5:38am On Apr 29, 2017
Let me use DUBAI or Arab country where I dey now as example.if u are not coming there for business purposes am suggesting u stay back in nigeria.half of piple who travel there leaves in regret and are trapped without the option of returning back.all because they ignore Advice

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Livefreeordieha(m): 5:48am On Apr 29, 2017
OluDare01:
I will never encourage anybody to be illegal in any country.
There's a lot of folks here in the US living illegally and we don't know what Trump would do concerning immigration and deportation.
Personally,I've had a lot of enemies since I came here because they believe I'm being selfish or I don't wanna help.
Here's my experience with different folks.
1) I'm a student,I only work as a teaching assistant with my dept with little pay. Folks at home would be asking for money as if money falls as rain. They don't believe you don't work,cos that's illegal to work off campus in the US.
2) Most people I've talked to want the fast route to making money. They don't wanna take the pain to study and write the GRE. Some don't even wanna spend money for processing at all.How would you help such a person?
3) If you don't have money,you Wil suffer here. I live in one of the cheapest places in the US and I pay approx $320/month as bills.
That's a lot of money in Nigeria,not to talk of feeding and other miscellaneous. If you live in places like New York,Washington D.C., the D.M.V area,Carlifornia to mention but a few,you pay a lot of money as rent. Hence,you need a lot of money before you can live there. People here work hard for the money, that's why they're stingy.
Imagine someone asking me for $100 as if it grows on a tree?
Living abroad comes with challenges. We all have problems but people back home won't understand.

I'll never advise anybody to live illegally. Please don't try it!
gadamn it..you are the best outta the lots ..you said all I could have...if you Don't live on credit you literally be living from hand to mouth or assist with some side black deals..it only becomes easy if u have a working partner and u split responsibilities/bills..like this u could have a supposed normal life..every con3 aside nja is organized u give back almost all u earn from them in a month..so if I tell u I earn 2600euros a month u ignorantly /greedily won't ask how much is my tax,rent,phone bills,light,water,gabbage,internet/tv box etc..and not to mention that house rent for a month here is wat u lots pay a year back home..

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by odimbannamdi(m): 5:49am On Apr 29, 2017
AreaFada2:

Thank you dear.

Let me add something. I know at least a dozen people who have lived here for 15 to 25 years and have not visited 9ja once. I'm sure you can imagine the main reason why they cannot visit. Meanwhile, relatives in 9ja believe they are gallivanting here.

Somebody I warned about potential difficulties here if coming if not planned properly has spent over 10 years here now. No means to visit 9ja till now. Back then she dismissed my warning as not wanting to help. Not seen her kids in 9ja for over 10 years now.

You sound like u have been in the diaspora for donkey years

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by OluDare01(m): 5:54am On Apr 29, 2017
Livefreeordieha:
gadamn it..you are the best outta the lots ..you said all I could have...if you Don't live on credit you literally be living from hand to mouth or assist with some side black deals..it only becomes easy if u have a working partner and u split responsibilities/bills..like this u could have a supposed normal life..every con3 aside nja is organized u give back almost all u earn from them in a month..so if I tell u I earn 2600euros a month u ignorantly /greedily won't ask how much is my tax,rent,phone bills,light,water,gabbage,internet/tv box etc..and not to mention that house rent for a month here is wat u lots pay a year back home..
Exactly! Only my parents and siblings understand me,others don't. My uncle lives in New York,he pays $2k/month as rent. That's a lot of money that when people ask him for money and he doesn't respond, I feel his pain.
There's this Naija mentalitywe need to drop. If you travel without a plan,reality sets in and you become stranded. Life is good here but at a cost.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by goldedprince: 5:59am On Apr 29, 2017
abroad is not for everybody. if you are not mentally smart, u cant survive. if you cant endure pain, you cant survive.
if you want it easy, then you have to be hot as hell, by that, i mean, if you are a guy, you have to be hot and sexy to the point that atleast 8 out of 10 ladies wont be able to resist you. seriously, on my first trip abroad, i was taken care of by ladies. yes you have to know how to satisfy them too. u know the health risk that comes with that right. its not everyone that might be lucky like me, but if you are sexy, smart and know how to use ur tool, abroad go sweet you die. these girls no dey play with sexy BBC at all. unlike naija wey these annoying oloshos go dey disturb you for money, there na over correct babes go they pay you. remember u have to be hot. six packs is compulsory. well to cut the very long story short, if you go to abroad for gigolo work and you are hot, then you are in heaven on earth.
on the other hand, if you are ready to go through the stress that comes with money without using your tool, then you are also welcome.

6 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Lexusgs430: 5:59am On Apr 29, 2017
nextstep:

Doubt it. Such a person would still be limited to the number of hours in a day. And a maid making $10/hour times 10hours is looking at a monthly income after tax of 10x10 x 6days x 4weeks x .70 (after tax you keep about 70%) = $1680/month which seems like a lot till you shell out 800 rent, 200 utilities, 400 food, 300 health insurance, 200 transport, and the rest to payback whoever helped you get over there. Before you know it, you find yourself working and not saving anything

Who tells you every maid earns $10, did not migrate independently pays Tax and not having flexible housing arrangements with an employer?
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Totfulguy: 6:00am On Apr 29, 2017
bebe2:
This is getting annoying , how come each time a person is asking for directions on how to travel abroad most pple in diaspora will be discouraging the person.

If it's dat terrible why are u still there?

You enjoy the benefits of living in an organised society, knowing fully well that naija is a difficult place to live.

Are u scared of the competition the new immigrants will bring?

Nigerians in diaspora , what exactly are u afraid off??

You are the kind of people that fall in the hands of traffickers. You think when you hear abroad its a street paved with gold? Am sorry for you. Watch this brief "Nigerian movie" and see what is happening to our girls abroad https://www.facebook.com/nk.ibeh/videos/1340638816047138/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Bandeco(m): 6:07am On Apr 29, 2017
opribo:
Anybody is free to travel abroad as long as they are travelling with valid documents and for good intentions. When my company sends me on training abroad, I stay in the finest hotels and I try to catch up with friends abroad, what I have noticed is that out of 10 friends I meet perhaps only one is measuring up. The rest are struggling. Some go to work by 2am in the morning and come back by 3pm, some do two different jobs to be able to cope with house rent, and other bills that keep coming and never ending, some don't sit down throughout at their work place, they stand all through, some cannot go out to have a chilled beer and correct point and kill pepper soup. Their routine is work, sleep whenever possible, eat and church whenever their schedule permits. Some cannot return home on holidays because they dont have valid documents thats why you see some 20 years they have not seen home, those that have paper nko they can only come home once during their vacation which is usually like 2 weeks max, 'dem no born them well to stay beyond two weeks' else they are fired and before that time they will be waiting for sales period so they can buy things cheap to come and display here.

Some the work they do over there, they will never try it in Nigeria and yet they are graduates. Honestly, the life of most diasporia people is better described as glorified slavery regardless they have their permanent papers.
When we go out clubbing I end up taking up the entire bill and I am like you guys have the hard currency why should I pay but they tell me it ain't easy to come by. To crown it all the conditions some of them work is very uncomfortable, some work in below -20F temperatures, some tender old sick people with highly contagious disease, some drive UBER, some are into credit card fraud and other crimes. The few that are working in the banks or other high brow offices go through discreet racist treatment yet they cannot complain. All these things comes back to haunt them in their old ages.

So the truth be told, if and only if our leaders can make Nigeria better believe you me no Nigerian will ever prefer to stay in that cold and unacceptable treatment they tolerate.
We have the best weather, we have the best mineral resources, we have the best inland water ways. WHY WHY WHY cant we develop these things. Build a network of interconnected rail line across the country, obey laws, love the country above self, kill corruption and make the laws work irrespective of person, class or position. Provide 24 hours electricity and provide round the clock security that works, build good roads and develop infrastructures, keep our environment clean these are the things the diaspora people enjoy minus that I cant point to anything they have we don't have.

So if you have a good job here, please my sister think twice before you go there to live, of course you can travel to any country to have a good holiday and return back. No place like Naija believe me, forget about the criminals with no good intentions holding on to power thereby destroying our country and mortgaging our future. Some day someone will arise to clean the Augean stables.
We have a rich culture, why dont you ask why some of them prefer to send their kids home for good training and some when they want to marry they think home.

Our leaders are our problem and not our country, our country is blessed with the best weather, good arable land, many culture, deep belief in God and above all a hard working human resource. Our problem are the leaders who destroy this country and when they travel you see them queue up to board planes and even board trains, you see them obey traffic light and queue up at shopping malls to pay.
They are wicked, they are the enemies of this great country, they must be stoned to death anywhere they are found.
Your post made sense until you wrote that faux pas @ bolded.

How can you write that deep belief in God (which to me is a fictional character) constitute blessing to Nigeria.
On the contrary, god/Allah and their religions are a bane to our country.

2 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Livefreeordieha(m): 6:08am On Apr 29, 2017
OluDare01:

Exactly! Only my parents and siblings understand me,others don't. My uncle lives in New York,he pays $2k/month as rent. That's a lot of money that when people ask him for money and he doesn't respond, I feel his pain.
There's this Naija mentalitywe need to drop. If you travel without a plan,reality sets in and you become stranded. Life is good here but at a cost.
I know bro..its funny the way u hear send me even if na 100euros..lol

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Dnockeror333(m): 6:09am On Apr 29, 2017
justwise:

@bebe2 you live here in the UK right?

This is what i want you to do..start a thread in this section and invite any Nigerian interested in moving to the UK to live and work then guild them on how to do it LEGITIMATELY

I promise to moderate that thread so that it will not be derailed.

These are the conditions:

1. It shouldn't be used to encourage people to circumvent immigration rules

2. No dropping of contact details or 'pm me for further details'.

3. No agency discussion.

Deal?

Then tell me when the thread begins. I love to bounce here JUSTWISE!

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 6:10am On Apr 29, 2017
its undecided because they know most want to leave for a easy life, not a better life and u won't find easy when u go to settle in a 1st world country
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by judgedredd22(m): 6:10am On Apr 29, 2017
claremont:

Which company is he working for that gives him a chauffeur?! I'm not saying he is lying to you, but in developed countries, even the head of blue chip companies either drive themselves to work or they use trains/taxis. I'm guessing if a visa holder can be given a driver, then passport holders working for the same company will be given drivers as well. The company will be spending a lot on drivers for its staff; this is a practise that even Microsoft UK, Apple UK, Schlumberger etc don't even do. The best they do is give a car allowance for you to lease a vehicle, not hiring dedicated drivers for their employees. Infact, I'm keen to know the name of the company your brother works for, maybe I need to dust my CV and apply to work for them. grin

stop sounding naive and saying what you don't know... a lot of companies in europe and US give personal drivers to high ranking officers... mostly private firms that operate globally!

2 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Rilwayne001: 6:10am On Apr 29, 2017
sukkot:
exactly bro. and you are right living in the west is very expensive especially if you have children. thats the worst. when you have children you are trapped in western hell LOL. YOUR LIFE IS OVER grin grin

So you don't have children yet? angry

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 6:12am On Apr 29, 2017
OluDare01:

exactly "At a cost"
2,000 can get u what in Nigeria? A business an he'd only using that money to house himself by the month in the US undecided

2 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Dnockeror333(m): 6:15am On Apr 29, 2017
bebe2:

Bro bad experience dey everywhere,

Abroad own there is hope atleast. Naija can be hopeless oo

I have seen pple born , raised and died in abject porverty.

AND SEE, are you runing away from poverty? A truely poor soul thus not look nigher into eternity.
What can we lay tge righteous soul then?
Remove your eyes from poverty. Its well with us.
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by OluDare01(m): 6:17am On Apr 29, 2017
MissCheezyPuff:
exactly "At a cost"
2,000 can get u what in Nigeria? A business an he'd only using that money to house himself by the month in the US undecided
Lol,he was a church mouse in Naija.
He won visa lottery so he's doing well now. When I was in Naija,anytime he travel back home,na singlets him dey bring for me lol.
But after I did the processing myself and got here,he come dey do me well.
The key is to cross the border legally,things would be fine if you're legal

2 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by OluDare01(m): 6:18am On Apr 29, 2017
Livefreeordieha:
I know bro..its funny the way u hear send me even if na 100euros..lol
Lol
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by OluDare01(m): 6:20am On Apr 29, 2017
I forgot to add this, if you're a guy girls would like you o cheesy
I get dem plenty for my neck now,thank God I no dey look their face.
If you've got a good grade,come here for graduate studies,that's your best bet.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by odimbannamdi(m): 6:22am On Apr 29, 2017
bjhaid:
Oh really?, You've blown the matter outta proportion, no need for further discussions.

Oga, call your bro to tell you the truth.

2 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by iaatmguy(m): 6:22am On Apr 29, 2017
salford:

I dont discourage people to migrate especially if they are under some dire situation.
If you have a good job plus career in naija, can afford good hospitals, live well, afford holidays overseas e.t.c then they might want to consider d "abroad" option well. The "abroad" could be a career suicide at times.
gbam, you hit the nail on the head
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 6:24am On Apr 29, 2017
OluDare01:

Lol,he was a church mouse in Naija.
He won visa lottery so he's doing well now. When I was in Naija,anytime he travel back home,na singlets him dey bring for me lol.
But after I did the processing myself d got here,he come dey do me well.
The key is to cross the border legally,things would be fine if you're legal
different topic. I'm not talking about the How Non Americans come over but how life in a 1st world country is comfort at a cost.
u will pay here .
u could have used that money at home to own a business
There a opportunities gallore in 3rd world countries because they have less luxuries/necessities U can provide an be rich

But not just that there are doctors ,businesses/Companies,schools,Universities and everything else in Nigeria same as the US where thy can work why not get a degree an good job there? undecided

Foreigners claim they want opportunity and a better life in America but what they want is a. Easy/comfortable life in a premade country undecided

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by nextstep(m): 6:26am On Apr 29, 2017
Lexusgs430:

Who tells you every maid earns $10, did not migrate independently pays Tax and not having flexible housing arrangements with an employer?

It's a wash... If you don't pay tax, then you're likely earning a bit less, since it's under the table. And if you've got living arrangements with your employer, then you're likely earning even less. You might go up to $13 or even $15/hour, but that's on the high end for house help, and you'd be lucky to pick up a lot of hours at that rate. Yes there are some who are extremely lucky, but the estimates I gave are not too far off.

If you don't have a sponsor you have to repay, then view it as replenishing the savings you had to sacrifice for the trip. The point is, unless you're a professional (which likely means you had to get a 4-year degree abroad - more debt there), it's very difficult to "make it" with service labour.

When I consider the people who stay here and become well-to-do with the same investment they would have used to travel, it's puzzling that those with the means to travel don't invest at home. Afterall, gathering almost 1M means you're not dirt poor.

Those with the means to go abroad complain about how hard life is in Naija - as they type on their expensive phone, drop 500naira on beer, rock expensive clothing, and sit around waiting for an opportunity to drop in their laps. If they spent 1/2 the time actually using their energy and money wisely, they would have made it.

Honestly, for every 1 that goes to wash plate or become mayguard abroad, I can show you 1 very successful business person who became wealthy here in Naija: property developers, importers, traders, farmers, logistics, snack sellers, etc.

How many mansions have been built by been-tos? How many by those living here? How many over there can pay cash for their children's birth or college education? Or pay rent for 2 years? Or pay cash for a car?
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by mikolo80: 6:28am On Apr 29, 2017
Saintsquare:
Op they are coming for u o ,they will tell how its so difficult to live abroad ,they will also list lots of tax to make it seems no be human being dey pay am. They would come home to show off wealth they accumulated, post nice things on social media for people to hail them but when you mention your interest to come then voila they will describe abroad like Somalia.. I don't encourage peeps who got no travel plans thereby turning to illegal immigrants which might result to being homeless, have a solid and sensible plan.Nigeria is really not easy o,may God help us.
don't come without papers or you will suffer. simple

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 6:28am On Apr 29, 2017
AreaFada2:

Have you visited them?

Well try and visit. Please when you visit try to know all the bills they pay. Why they work so hard. Because if you see them in their current home, you will not see how much suffering, hard work & determination they put in to achieve what you now call "doing very well". Their years of struggle will not be seen.

Telling family members to visit is not because it is easy. It is generosity that many do not understand.

The kind of determination & hard work needed is massive, knowing you are your own.

The mentality that it is easy is why many relatives squander money sent from abroad.

From years of experience, I am aware that there is no point arguing it. Almost every Nigerian believes he knows everything, even America more than Donald Trump. Hence the shock many experience when eventually they get here. cheesy cheesy grin grin

Now, I'm not a big fan of traveling abroad, in fact I can only travel very legitimately and probably for education or training purposes. That being said, are you trying to tell me there are no bills to pay in Nigeria? Heck people pay for energy bills for darkness here, any average taxi driver pays about five different taxes every morning after having to deal with the high cost of substandard fuel, bad roads and the attendant maintenance implications.

Talk about homelessness, I want you to google about the recent happenings in a riverine Lagos community called otodo gbame, I don't wish to talk the thousands living in market and under bridges since time immemorial.

I would never encourage someone to do something I'm not willing to do, namely living illegally in an alien country, but you're just making it sound like it's roadblock over there.

How can someone be doing a very laborious job for 10hours a day for 6days a week and takes home a paltry sum at the end of one solid month, someone with an engineering degree, plus good grade, teachable, actually knowledgeable, and he's still considered fortunate o, because the guy next to him couldn't even find a "job" to suffer for his daily bread like him.

Running isn't the solution here, but please stop with your abroad is hell, that logic is flawed,

9 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 6:30am On Apr 29, 2017
bebe2:

Am not replying because of u but for others who will read this.

U have no advantage over me on experience both outside and inside Nigeria.

I left naija wen I was 24, and have been coming back to naija twice a year. I see wats on ground.

To be able to heal, u need to first admit u are ill.

Jesu. I'm reading your replies and i feel like killing you. I thought you will not reply even that first one because it was written denial.
See, even if living in naija is not hell, the average person feels the heat and would love to relocate.
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by OluDare01(m): 6:30am On Apr 29, 2017
MissCheezyPuff:
different topic. I'm not talking about the How Non Americans come over but how life in a 1st world country is comfort at a cost.
u will pay here .
u could have used that money at home to own a business
There a opportunities gallore in 3rd world countries because they have less luxuries/necessities U can provide an be rich

But not just that there are doctors ,business schools universities and everything else in Nigeria same as the US why not get a degree an good job there? undecided

Foreigners claim they want opportunity and a better life in America but what they want is a. Easy/comfortable life in a premade country undecided
Gotcha!
Yeah life here does come at a cost.
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 6:30am On Apr 29, 2017
OP lives in the UK too, so maybe you should answer the question, what is it you are trying to prove with this your write up?

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by mikolo80: 6:33am On Apr 29, 2017
helpyom:
That's why i created a thread about my loved one over there.it's so painful please help us ooo for ppl that has little to be ssupported

God help us ooo for people that don't even have helpers but to the facts of not getting encouragement from our fellow Nigerians and loved ones over there not fair the hardship in this country is hell.

We have high numbers of youths ready to work but no work people just manage anything they see you can imagine working 11hrs here everyday for 6 days in a week with little stipends.

What would make one not reason leaving here.
plenty of work to do. very lady country
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Basalt(m): 6:34am On Apr 29, 2017
AreaFada2:
Bebe2,

To be honest it is not fashionable to be honest when dealing with our fellow Nigerians, especially if you live abroad. They start calling you enemy of progress.

I have actively discouraged Nigerians from coming to the West ANYHOW.

We know what we suffered back then. A close friend froze to death on the street, sleeping rough. It could have been me. Once money was exhausted, we had no place to sleep. His miserable death haunts me till today.

But when you tell people, they say "but you have made it now, you very fine now, it cannot be as bad as 9ja na, etc." I don't even know what "made it" mean in their imagination.

I always advice people to come as postgrad students, with enough money in their pockets. That way, even if they have to return home, the time wasn't wasted.

I have discouraged many social media "friends" from crossing Sahara desert with the help of a "sponsor" to Italy. Those who did not listen. They are paying off 30 to 50K Euros now doing prostitution. Some have been honest enough to say "I wish I listened to your advice".

Nobody is afraid of anyone. Many abroad just do not want others to make the mistake they made, either by abandoning their studies, travelling with anyhow documents, coming with tourist visa and overstaying, quitting a good job to travel abroad, etc.

An example: a cousin of mine worked for about 11 years in a first generation bank. He quit and came abroad. I just bumped into him one day. He jumped and hugged me. I did not recognise him right away, being tall & big guy now. He died here in diaspora a couple of years ago. He regretted his decision to travel abroad, despite having a wife and 3 kids here.

A friend also quit a first generation bank job to travel. He regretted it daily. He died of cancer here around 5 years back, leaving 4 kids behind.

Both lived abroad in regret, after quitting well paid jobs in 9ja. Those of us who left as teenagers took it more in our stride, after the difficult first few years.

People should be well informed before travelling. Not just anyhow, to any destination believing you can make huge money anywhere abroad.

We have ruined our name enough abroad: scam/fraud, drug trafficking, prostitution, etc. Mostly due to unplanned travelling out.

And the discouraging RAP continues.
Always bringing out ugly scenarios. Have you given a case of someone making it there or Do you mean all the people that come there always die on the long run.
Stop discouraging people from coming abroad, Nigeria ain't any better.
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 6:35am On Apr 29, 2017
Reni1:
I had to sign in after 10years to comment on this distasteful thread. First, every one has a prerogative whether to help you or not. Even if one chooses not to help because of competition, it's their right. Nevertheless, IN America people barely have time for themselves not to talk of someone else. Parents live in the same city with their children but they don't see for months because of crazy schedule.

My friend paid for marriage 15,000$ , two years after she withdrew his immigration petition. Imagine after hustling, pay and the money goes down the drain. The guy is.now illegal and wants to commit suicide. Na beg we dey beg am. He doesn't have a steady job, and now he can't get work permit.

Bruh, my condolences to your friend...I can feel his pain. But $15k was too much for that stuff nah. It shouldn't have been more than $10k max! wow, after being on the conditional green card for 2 years, the wife withdrew the I-485 petition...that was evil! cry

I guess the b.itch was a ghetto a.ss akata mama angry

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (28) (Reply)

US Shares Relief Materials To Nigerians In China Thrown Into The Streets / Which Country Can I Relocate To With 6million / Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.