Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,772 members, 7,809,980 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:09 PM

Rotational Presidency: Fraud To Hold Unto Power By Northern Power Elite - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rotational Presidency: Fraud To Hold Unto Power By Northern Power Elite (881 Views)

“Don’t Do Unto Dasuki As You Did To Awolowo, Alamieyeseigha” Fayose To Buhari / does this look like fraud to you. / Unprecedented Fraud: Lagos State Govt Takes Fraud To The Next Level (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rotational Presidency: Fraud To Hold Unto Power By Northern Power Elite by wirinet(m): 9:04am On Jan 06, 2010
It pains me when educated Nigerians support this rotational presidency fraud. How can someone say rotational presidency and democracy in the same breadth? Is rotational presidency a part of our constitution or our electoral act.

Please define the exact nature of this your rotational presidency law;

when was it passed by the national assembly? 
Does it apply to other levels of governance like the states, senators, house of reps, local government areas or is restricted only to the presidency?
If the OBJ's third term plot succeeded, would we still be talking about rotation?

How come if there is rotational presidency in place, we always have presidential candidates from all regions during elections and not only from one region?  Even in the PDP, we have all regions participating in the primaries.

This rotational presidency is a fraud imposed by the hausa/fulani in conjunction with their Yoruba cohorts to make sure power remains perceptually in their hands or within the grasp of the same elites ruling this country since independence. It was conceived because after the denial of Abiola's mandate by the north through a free and fair election, the Yorubas woke up from their slumber and challenged the North. The north was then forced to concede power to their preferred yoruba, through an unfree election. After his tenure they needed an excuse to take back power and that is where the illegal rotational presidency came in.

As much as i hate the rotational presidency concept, if it was a sincere plan, there is no way it would have started with the north east, which have had a near monopoly hold of power in Nigeria. It would have started with the east which have never really tasted power. But i am sure the north would bring in another scheme to hold unto power once their "turn" is over, they might suddenly realize how anti-democratic it is.
Re: Rotational Presidency: Fraud To Hold Unto Power By Northern Power Elite by hasyak(m): 10:07am On Jan 06, 2010
Am really surprise by your post, particularly your topic. if you are in this country it was the south that came up with it thru power shift. then ,they felt that it was the only they can get to power. we all know that that's not democracy, but it was the south that came up with rotation,  pls check your facts from history
Re: Rotational Presidency: Fraud To Hold Unto Power By Northern Power Elite by wirinet(m): 10:10am On Jan 06, 2010
hasyak:

Am really surprise by your post, particularly your topic. if you are in this country it was the south that came up with it thru power shift. then ,they felt that it was the only they can get to power. we all know that that's not democracy, but it was the south that came up with rotation, pls your your facts from history

I do not claim to know all, but please tell me where and when the south (which south) came up wit rotational presidency. Was it after the failed third term plot or before?
Re: Rotational Presidency: Fraud To Hold Unto Power By Northern Power Elite by hasyak(m): 10:17am On Jan 06, 2010
that was before obj came into power. the election was contested by obj and falae, cos it was agreed that power should shift to the south. and for the question which south? its the west and eastern nig.
Re: Rotational Presidency: Fraud To Hold Unto Power By Northern Power Elite by wirinet(m): 11:03am On Jan 06, 2010
hasyak:

that was before obj came into power. the election was contested by obj and falae, cos it was agreed that power should shift to the south. and for the question which south? its the west and eastern nig.

If as you said, it was decided before OBJ came to power, why did we not hear of it until just before the last elections? Who were the people that did this agreement, because Bola Ige who wrote all the constitutions of the party then was not aware of such arrangement. If the arrangement was in place, why did Akitu try to wrestle power from OBJ since he had only completed one term?, and had to literally beg Atiku to be able to have a second term. Why did all sections present presidential candidate during the 2003 elections?

You avoid to answer my questions and then make spurious claims about there being a rotational presidency arrangements before the writing of the 1999 constitution.
Re: Rotational Presidency: Fraud To Hold Unto Power By Northern Power Elite by hasyak(m): 11:22am On Jan 06, 2010
my friend it is not a written agreement but a general agreement by all involve, fyi, am not in support of it cos it a very myopic way of looking at the bigger picture. that is why we r in a dilemma now wit d sick president. the north sees it that it now their time, for goodluck to take over then they are being be cheated, and after yar adu term (northern time) it will go back to the south (btw south south and east since the west have already taken their term thru obj).
off course other parties will come out to contest, cos the agreement is not written and not agreed by all, but wait after yar adu then see what will happen if another northern comes out to contest, then you will know that an agreement was in place
Re: Rotational Presidency: Fraud To Hold Unto Power By Northern Power Elite by DrKnow1(m): 11:25am On Jan 06, 2010
Rotational presidency is an unconstitutional device invented by the PDP and it is a monster that will devour them. It is only in Nigeria that a political party could be so sure of winning elections by imposing its own idea of unconstitutional power sharing on the generality of the population. Rotational presidency is a way of imposing a candidate from certain part of the country and preventing the candidature of other equally qualified people from other parts of the country; to me that cannot be said to be a democratic way of electing the president. That is selection and not election.
Re: Rotational Presidency: Fraud To Hold Unto Power By Northern Power Elite by wirinet(m): 11:45am On Jan 06, 2010
hasyak:

my friend it is not a written agreement but a general agreement by all involve, fyi, am not in support of it cos it a very myopic way of looking at the bigger picture. that is why we r in a dilemma now wit d sick president. the north sees it that it now their time, for goodluck to take over then they are being be cheated, and after yar adu term (northern time) it will go back to the south (btw south south and east since the west have already taken their term thru obj).
off course other parties will come out to contest, cos the agreement is not written and not agreed by all, but wait after yar adu then see what will happen if another northern comes out to contest, then you will know that an agreement was in place

My friend, your arguments are still very ambiguous. Who are the all that agreed to this arrangement, were the over 250 ethic groups in Nigeria involved?. It is not this your arrangement that is putting us in this dilemma now, the North had never in history allowed any other group have power without a fight. If there was an arrangement by all sections of the country, there is no way power would go back to the north east, after Shagari, Buhari, IBB, Abacha, Abdulsalami and OBJ. Whether you look at it through Civilian presidency or Military Head of state, the North east has had more than their own fair share of power. It should have gone to south east.

If their agreement was solid, why would other people waste their money contesting and the population waste their time voting?

The rotational thingy was initially not even a PDP idea, because if it was, you would not find northerners contesting during 2003 primaries and you would not find southerner contesting in 2007, but we know Odilli was a front runner in the 2006 presidential primaries and he campaigned all over Nigeria including the North before he was forced to withdraw by OBJ and Ribadu.
Re: Rotational Presidency: Fraud To Hold Unto Power By Northern Power Elite by hasyak(m): 1:32pm On Jan 06, 2010
i have told you it is not a written agreement, but it is a gentle men agreement? which is not binding on all. it was first initiated by the south, only replied you to clarify your thinking that it was put in place by the north. not here to argue if it good or bad, told you am against it.
Re: Rotational Presidency: Fraud To Hold Unto Power By Northern Power Elite by Afam(m): 2:06pm On Jan 06, 2010
Obviously, the original poster is not aware of the facts concerning rotational presidency otherwise he would not state it was being used by the North to hold on to power because in the real sense rotational presidency was introduced to prevent just that.

Though not democratic in nature it is a welcome development in our peculiar environment where there is mutual distrust and we have regions claiming that they are being marginalized.

Rotational presidency was introduced before OBJ came to power and it was the South that benefited first from it as the 2 major contenders where Yoruba candidates as a way to compensate for the unfair treatment of late MKO Abiola that won a free and fair election.
Re: Rotational Presidency: Fraud To Hold Unto Power By Northern Power Elite by safeact(m): 2:11pm On Jan 06, 2010
Na wa oh! Y would always want to start d rotation again after OBJ even after they have held onto power 4 a long time? Look @ our dying president yet they stil want 2bend d constitutiön 2suit them. I think Nigeria might never smell progress as long as Northeners are stil in politics n power. Their reasön is so myopic and insensitive!
Re: Rotational Presidency: Fraud To Hold Unto Power By Northern Power Elite by wirinet(m): 2:21pm On Jan 06, 2010
Afam:

Obviously, the original poster is not aware of the facts concerning rotational presidency otherwise he would not state it was being used by the North to hold on to power because in the real sense rotational presidency was introduced to prevent just that.

Though not democratic in nature it is a welcome development in our peculiar environment where there is mutual distrust and we have regions claiming that they are being marginalized.

Rotational presidency was introduced before OBJ came to power and it was the South that benefited first from it as the 2 major contenders where Yoruba candidates as a way to compensate for the unfair treatment of late MKO Abiola that won a free and fair election.

What facts are you talking about? Please present them. Where and when did this meeting take place. Please stop twisting facts, OBJ did not come to power because of any agreed rotation agreement, the North conceded power to the west because the Yoruba nation was very aggrieved by the injustice done to MKO and was preparing to fight if need be. That was why it was two Yoruba sons that contested the 1999 elections without any other candidate from the south. It was to placate the Yorubas. OBJ was made to promise that he would return power to its rightful owner after only one term, but OBJ was smart to go for a second term and almost went for a third.
As I said earlier if Rotational presidency was in place OBJ would have made it known to Odilli at the primaries and they north would have just presented its candidates. The rotation thingy was to blackmail the south into giving power back to the north.
Re: Rotational Presidency: Fraud To Hold Unto Power By Northern Power Elite by Afam(m): 2:27pm On Jan 06, 2010
wirinet:

What facts are you talking about? Please present them. Where and when did this meeting take place. Please stop twisting facts, OBJ did not come to power because of any agreed rotation agreement, the North conceded power to the west because the Yoruba nation was very aggrieved by the injustice done to MKO and was preparing to fight if need be. That was why it was two Yoruba sons that contested the 1999 elections without any other candidate from the south. It was to placate the Yorubas. OBJ was made to promise that he would return power to its rightful owner after only one term, but OBJ was smart to go for a second term and almost went for a third.
As I said earlier if Rotational presidency was in place OBJ would have made it known to Odilli at the primaries and they north would have just presented its candidates. The rotation thingy was to blackmail the south into giving power back to the north.

I believe the facts you are looking for are in your response above. You believe the North conceded power to the South West because of Abiola (a point I made in my post) because the South West wanted to fight if need be? Do you have the location and venue of the meeting where this "fight if need be" issue was discussed and concession of power agreed upon took place?
Re: Rotational Presidency: Fraud To Hold Unto Power By Northern Power Elite by hasyak(m): 2:36pm On Jan 06, 2010
Afam:

I believe the facts you are looking for are in your response above. You believe the North conceded power to the South West because of Abiola (a point I made in my post) because the South West wanted to fight if need be? Do you have the location and venue of the meeting where this "fight if need be" issue was discussed and concession of power agreed upon took place?

thanks man, i have been trying to explain to this guy but he keep asking me, how, where, when ?
Re: Rotational Presidency: Fraud To Hold Unto Power By Northern Power Elite by wirinet(m): 2:42pm On Jan 06, 2010
Afam:

There were many venues and many meetings by many different organizations. There was NADECO that was gathering international support against Abacha and for Abiola to be released to assume the presidency. They was OPC that was being modeled after the ANC with Fasheun heading the political wing and Gani Adams heading the Military wing. They were many smaller organization trying to subvert the Nigerian govt necessitating the formation of the strike force by Abacha. They were so many "Gorilla"  media outfits like Radio Kudirat. If the Military had not handed over to a Yoruba man, they country was heading for civil unrest or war within a couple of years.

And as soon as Power was handed over to a Yoruba man chosen by the North, all agitations died down and the organizations died a natural death.
Re: Rotational Presidency: Fraud To Hold Unto Power By Northern Power Elite by Afam(m): 2:54pm On Jan 06, 2010
wirinet:

There were many venues and many meetings by many different organizations. There was NADECO that was gathering international support against Abacha and for Abiola to be released to assume the presidency. They was OPC that was being modeled after the ANC with Fasheun heading the political wing and Gani Adams heading the Military wing. They were many smaller organization trying to subvert the Nigerian govt necessitating the formation of the strike force by Abacha. They were so many "Gorilla"  media outfits like Radio Kudirat. If the Military had not handed over to a Yoruba man, they country was heading for civil unrest or war within a couple of years.

And as soon as Power was handed over to a Yoruba man chosen by the North, all agitations died down and the organizations died a natural death.

Thanks for the enlightenment. I am done with the thread. Nothing more to say.

Enjoy.
Re: Rotational Presidency: Fraud To Hold Unto Power By Northern Power Elite by wirinet(m): 3:01pm On Jan 06, 2010
Afam:

Thanks for the enlightenment. I am done with the thread. Nothing more to say.

Enjoy.

You are welcomed. It is a pity you did not enlighten me on whom, where and when the "gentleman's" agreement on rotational presidency took place and how many people and regions were involved.

Anyway you are entitled to keep it secret.
Re: Rotational Presidency: Fraud To Hold Unto Power By Northern Power Elite by Kay17: 3:52pm On Jan 06, 2010
rotational presidency is the worst arrangement ever. the leaders are selected based solely on ethnic grounds, skill, knowledge or experience is irrelevant. it simply portrays presidency as an option to loot and plunder, at least have a taste of national cake.
Re: Rotational Presidency: Fraud To Hold Unto Power By Northern Power Elite by sjeezy8: 4:00pm On Jan 06, 2010
Rotational presidency is meant to benefit the south and solely the south. The north has nothing to lose in a free and fair election.
Re: Rotational Presidency: Fraud To Hold Unto Power By Northern Power Elite by wirinet(m): 4:23pm On Jan 06, 2010
sjeezy8:

Rotational presidency is meant to benefit the south and solely the south. The north has nothing to lose in a free and fair election.

Are you telling me that the north will always win in a free and fair election? How come they did not win in the freest and fairest election Nigeria ever conducted.

I do not understand how rotational presidency is meant to benefit the south. How much did the south benefit under OBJ's 8 years?
Re: Rotational Presidency: Fraud To Hold Unto Power By Northern Power Elite by Mekusxyz: 4:33pm On Jan 06, 2010
Rotational presidency (RP) is very good. It is practiced in Switzerland and several other countries in the world with multi-ethnicities. The problem with our own version is that it has not been contitutionalized. This aspect is what is causing the brouhaha now. RP remains one of the strategies to curtail the rampage of the north. Without RP, Yoruba would not have smelt the presidency when Obj did.

Ask that RP be made consitutional and watch peace reign in Nigeria.
BTW I am praying that Yardua lives so that the taking over by Jonathan will not truncate the present RP status
Re: Rotational Presidency: Fraud To Hold Unto Power By Northern Power Elite by wirinet(m): 4:52pm On Jan 06, 2010
It was not Rotational Presidency Arrangement that took OBJ from prison to Aso Rock. I had dealt with this issue above.

Why do Yoruba need Rotation before they can become president, are you telling me that no Yoruba can attain the post of president by merit. You are denigrating the Yorubas.

Rotational presidency is Bulls, it will only encourage corruption. The major problem we have is the over centralization of power at the center and that makes the Nigerian president Monarchical in Nature. Decentralize power and the struggle to be president will reduce and people will be more interested in their regions and decides one part of the country would not be able to dictate to the rest of the regions.
Re: Rotational Presidency: Fraud To Hold Unto Power By Northern Power Elite by Mekusxyz: 4:56pm On Jan 06, 2010
Wirinet, every tribe can attain that post by merit. But not in Nigeria, it is almost unattainable for several reasons:

1. Population- the North is more populated than the south: millions of southerners left the country for greener pasture and you cannot be in UK, US etc, and still be in Nigeria to vote
2. Rigging of election
3. Disunity among the south
If all Yoruba vote for their person (as they normally do) that still will not take them to Aso Rock

Later.
Re: Rotational Presidency: Fraud To Hold Unto Power By Northern Power Elite by sjeezy8: 4:58pm On Jan 06, 2010
Abiola (a yoruba)won fair and square,but didnt make it as president.

In a free and fair election a "muslim southerner" as the highest chance of winning a free election.  
Because you can count the 19 non southern states not voting for another christian southerner unless its Obj.

Saraki of kwara can win southern and northern votes along with a northernVP
If PDP is broken- Fashola being a southern muslim and named the best govenor in Nigerian can win, along with a northern VP.
Re: Rotational Presidency: Fraud To Hold Unto Power By Northern Power Elite by wirinet(m): 5:19pm On Jan 06, 2010
Mekusxyz:

Wirinet, every tribe can attain that post by merit. But not in Nigeria, it is almost unattainable for several reasons:

1. Population- the North is more populated than the south: millions of southerners left the country for greener pasture and you cannot be in UK, US etc, and still be in Nigeria to vote

That is the lie of the century, the North can never be more populated than the south. It is against natural demographics, coastal cities are always more populated than dessert areas. Nigerian population figures had been a fraud since colonial times. About Southerners abroad, why not push for voting by Nigerians abroad as in done by the US.

Mekusxyz:

2. Rigging of election
This is the main problem in Nigeria, and i do not even think a rotation arrangement can address rigging as seen by the 1999 elections between two Yorubas.

Mekusxyz:

3. Disunity among the south
There is also disunity in the North and east. That is why i clamour for a two party system, so that ethnic voting patterns would be reduced as seen in the 1993 elections.

Mekusxyz:

If all Yoruba vote for their person (as they normally do) that still will not take them to Aso Rock

This is a fallacy, the total number of voters in the 2007 elections is in the region of 20 million (not sure of the exact figures) and that is a grossly exaggerated figure, and i am sure the Yorubas alone is over 40 million in population. So all the yorubas votes can get a person to Aso Rock.
Re: Rotational Presidency: Fraud To Hold Unto Power By Northern Power Elite by wirinet(m): 5:23pm On Jan 06, 2010
sjeezy8:

Abiola (a yoruba)won fair and square,but didnt make it as president.

In a free and fair election a "muslim southerner" as the highest chance of winning a free election.  
Because you can count the 19 non southern states not voting for another christian southerner unless its Obj.

Saraki of kwara can win southern and northern votes along with a northernVP
If PDP is broken- Fashola being a southern muslim and named the best govenor in Nigerian can win, along with a northern VP.

Are you telling me that Awolowo (a Yoruba Christian) did not win any votes at all in the North during the 1979 elections. To win elections free and square you have to build alliances and does not only depend on ethnic or religious affiliations
Re: Rotational Presidency: Fraud To Hold Unto Power By Northern Power Elite by sjeezy8: 5:32pm On Jan 06, 2010
wirinet:

Are you telling me that Awolowo (a Yoruba Christian) did not win any votes at all in the North during the 1979 elections. To win elections free and square you have to build alliances and does not only depend on ethnic or religious affiliations

lol awo could have never been president of Nigeria thats even funny. alliances only matter to those who need it southerners.
I dont see any christian southerner with or without alliance winning in a free and fair election.
Awo as president is laughable.
Northeners care about religion first, ethnicity and region second. SO if you arent a muslim you will NOT get their votes unless you are Obasanjo himself(who has gained their trust since 1960's). They have even disowned Obj sef.
Re: Rotational Presidency: Fraud To Hold Unto Power By Northern Power Elite by Mekusxyz: 5:43pm On Jan 06, 2010
Wirinet,

Do you know how many Nigerians are outside of Nigeria and how many of those are southerners? How many northerners have you met abroad (if you are living abroad)? I have lived abroad for 10 years in 5 different countries and have only met 3 (except for the extra few that work in the embassies abroad). Southerners cannot eat their cake and have it when they migrate en mass to foreign countries. People of northern extraction are more in number in present-day Nigeria than southerners. This is a FACT.

(1) (Reply)

If You Had A Chance To Rule Nigeria, What Will Be The First Thing You Will Do? / Breaking News- Jos On Fire As 3 Fulani Killed Sparked Tension / All Nigerians Are Scammers - Yes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.