Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,534 members, 7,819,915 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:32 AM

If You Had A Chance To Rule Nigeria, What Will Be The First Thing You Will Do? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If You Had A Chance To Rule Nigeria, What Will Be The First Thing You Will Do? (883 Views)

The First Thing President Buhari Does Every Morning / 6 Types Of Voters In Nigeria. What Type Are You? / If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If You Had A Chance To Rule Nigeria, What Will Be The First Thing You Will Do? by consultmartins(m): 10:52pm On Feb 13, 2010
If You Had A Chance To Rule Nigeria, What Will Be The First Thing You Will Do Or Implement?

Re: If You Had A Chance To Rule Nigeria, What Will Be The First Thing You Will Do? by mamagee3(f): 11:23pm On Feb 13, 2010
Seriously, who would volunteer to rule Nigeria after the reign of all those criminals as leaders. . .
Re: If You Had A Chance To Rule Nigeria, What Will Be The First Thing You Will Do? by oderemo(m): 11:30pm On Feb 13, 2010
Seriously, who would volunteer to rule Nigeria after the reign of all those criminals as leaders.

as far as you are concern we should all give up cool cool. the question the poser raised was if you had the chance, i think that is explicit enough. obviously you wouldn't want the chance , then you need not press the reply button.
Re: If You Had A Chance To Rule Nigeria, What Will Be The First Thing You Will Do? by naijamini(m): 12:25am On Feb 14, 2010
This is a very serious question. To tell you the truth there is almost no single thing you could do right away that would change Nigeria. There is a host of them.

As such, the first thing would be to institute a bi-weekly press briefing or nationwide broadcast for explaining Nigeria's developmental challenges to the people and carrying them along with proposed solutions.

Substantively however, the most important thing would be a combined Freedom of Information Bill+Constitutional Review+Electoral Reform.
Re: If You Had A Chance To Rule Nigeria, What Will Be The First Thing You Will Do? by consultmartins(m): 12:29am On Feb 14, 2010
I will kill all bad past political leaders that ruined Nigeria. That's the first thing i will do.

Re: If You Had A Chance To Rule Nigeria, What Will Be The First Thing You Will Do? by stalliontp(m): 12:30am On Feb 14, 2010
Right
Re: If You Had A Chance To Rule Nigeria, What Will Be The First Thing You Will Do? by naijamini(m): 12:45am On Feb 14, 2010
You are kidding right? If you had a chance to rule Nigeria, the first thing you would do is commit murder and injustice.

If you have the power to do that you would also have power to have them tried and jailed, and perhaps even convince your fellow countrymen that corruption needs to be punished by death, after due process.

I think you are really thinking of power that you would get through a military coup, insurrection and the like. My mistake.

consultmartins:

I will kill all bad past political leaders that ruined Nigeria. That's the first thing i will do.
Re: If You Had A Chance To Rule Nigeria, What Will Be The First Thing You Will Do? by usbcable(m): 1:00am On Feb 14, 2010
AS I TYPR THIS LINE WE DONT HAVE ELECTRIC POWER SUPPLY.

hence Insha Allah Biqudratihi I will make N.E.P.A/P.H.C.N/power sector function properly
Re: If You Had A Chance To Rule Nigeria, What Will Be The First Thing You Will Do? by tunde1200(m): 12:39pm On Feb 14, 2010
power is nigerian problem jare my man e go beta for you.
Re: If You Had A Chance To Rule Nigeria, What Will Be The First Thing You Will Do? by buchio7(m): 3:19pm On Feb 14, 2010
Generation and transmission of Power wld be my first major focus
Re: If You Had A Chance To Rule Nigeria, What Will Be The First Thing You Will Do? by MaiSuya(m): 3:25pm On Feb 14, 2010
resign. . tongue
Re: If You Had A Chance To Rule Nigeria, What Will Be The First Thing You Will Do? by naijamini(m): 5:20pm On Feb 14, 2010
Indeed lack of power is one of the most pressing problems confronting Nigeria today. However, the reason past admins and the current one have been unable to deliver on a megre 6000MW is because they keep using the same approach. That approach assumes you can waive a magic wand to bring electricity to the people. This is simply impossible. Suppose you have the funding and other resources, cooperation of all stakeholders, and competent and honest personnel to implement your plans this would still take 2-4 years. This is because of the process of acquiring powerplants, transmission equipment, etc. that simply take time. We all know that funding is perhaps the greatest constraint that when considered implies a 5-10 year plan, and only if you put a mechanism in place for a constant flow of investment into the sector.

As such, if like Yar'adua, you promise to declare a state of emergency on power then you are setting yourself up for failure or, like Obasanjo and Yar'adua, promise a certain MW within several months you are doomed.

I still say the first thing I would do is reconnect with the Nigerian people, let them feel progress, small as it may be, encourage them to participate, give them hope that is backed with action - a sense that they have a government that cares. Part of this is resolving the foundation of our nation by implementing a Freedom of Information Bill (immediate), Electoral Reform (immediate) and Constitutional Review (short- to medium-term). These three things would provide the long-term basis for eradication of corruption, economic vibrancy and nationwide education because these are all really symptoms of a house standing on a shaky or even no foundation. If that foundation is not rebuilt we are forever doomed to repeating the same process and getting the same results like a recurring decimal or a broken record.

Beware when you are promised magic, it is usually a trick.

buchio7:

Generation and transmission of Power wld be my first major focus
Re: If You Had A Chance To Rule Nigeria, What Will Be The First Thing You Will Do? by Digriz(m): 5:39pm On Feb 14, 2010
I wl start wt corrupt past leaders and d present.
Re: If You Had A Chance To Rule Nigeria, What Will Be The First Thing You Will Do? by Veritas09: 5:06am On Feb 15, 2010
I would renounce my tribal ties (for the duration of my time in office) and institute a policy requiring all political leaders and civil servants to renounce tribal ties while in those positions -- they could re-assume their tribal identity while not working or when they retire.

A public servant must be impartial to be trustworthy.
Re: If You Had A Chance To Rule Nigeria, What Will Be The First Thing You Will Do? by aloyemeka2: 5:10am On Feb 15, 2010
Castrate IBB and Obasanjo. Reduce the voltage in an electric chair and torture all the money they stole out of them.
Re: If You Had A Chance To Rule Nigeria, What Will Be The First Thing You Will Do? by EzeUche(m): 5:24am On Feb 15, 2010
I would hunt down all corrupt political leaders and kill them slowly. I do not care if the politician was Igbo, Yoruba, Ijaw, Hausa etc. They would be all dead. A nice and slow death.

Then I will make sure I collect all of their money and invest the money in infrastructure. 24-7 electricity and clean running water would be a start for all major cities.
Re: If You Had A Chance To Rule Nigeria, What Will Be The First Thing You Will Do? by consultmartins(m): 11:57pm On Feb 15, 2010
EzeUche:

I would hunt down all corrupt political leaders and kill them slowly. I do not care if the politician was Igbo, Yoruba, Ijaw, Hausa etc. They would be all dead. A nice and slow death.

Then I will make sure I collect all of their money and invest the money in infrastructure. 24-7 electricity and clean running water would be a start for all major cities.

My brother, i like your stance. If Nigeria must move forward, we must purge it of bad leaders and the only way to go about it is to pronounce capital punishment on all past political bad eggs such as Bode George, Obj and IBB

Re: If You Had A Chance To Rule Nigeria, What Will Be The First Thing You Will Do? by redsun(m): 12:08am On Feb 16, 2010
I will take a second look at Tunde Idiagbon and introduce DISCIPLINACRACY instead of democrazy,
Re: If You Had A Chance To Rule Nigeria, What Will Be The First Thing You Will Do? by Fhemmmy: 12:13am On Feb 16, 2010
Talking about what i would do first is not a smart idea, however, some of the other things would be:
Better EFCC
Electricity
Good roads and more
Re: If You Had A Chance To Rule Nigeria, What Will Be The First Thing You Will Do? by redsun(m): 12:34am On Feb 16, 2010
The whole problem of nigeria put together centers on gross indiscipline.
Re: If You Had A Chance To Rule Nigeria, What Will Be The First Thing You Will Do? by Fhemmmy: 12:36am On Feb 16, 2010
redsun:

The whole problem of nigeria put together centers on gross indiscipline.

Hahahahahaha.
Re: If You Had A Chance To Rule Nigeria, What Will Be The First Thing You Will Do? by maximized(m): 12:40am On Feb 16, 2010
I will basically apply Jerry Rawlings´ principle and quit.
Re: If You Had A Chance To Rule Nigeria, What Will Be The First Thing You Will Do? by redsun(m): 12:42am On Feb 16, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Hahahahahaha.

What's funny man?

(1) (Reply)

All Nigerians Are Scammers - Yes / Bayo Ojo For Governor Kogi State 2011 / Should Politics Be A Do Or Die Affair In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.