Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,897 members, 7,828,160 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:58 AM

How Do You Know If You Have A Leaky Exhaust Pipe ? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Do You Know If You Have A Leaky Exhaust Pipe ? (8292 Views)

Drunk Teen Got Her Head Stuck In Truck Exhaust Pipe For 45 Mins In US / The 6 Consequences Of A Broken Or Leaky Exhaust System / Types Of Smoke From Your Car Exhaust Pipe And What It Indicates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Know If You Have A Leaky Exhaust Pipe ? by iaatmguy(m): 12:46pm On Apr 28, 2017
for owners of cars like toyota matrix, pontiac vibe, that produces the sound of a leaky exhaust pipe, how can one ascertain, one as a leaky exhaust pipe
Re: How Do You Know If You Have A Leaky Exhaust Pipe ? by nurey(m): 3:36pm On Apr 28, 2017
iaatmguy:
for owners of cars like toyota matrix, pontiac vibe, that produces the sound of a leaky exhaust pipe, how can one ascertain, one as a leaky exhaust pipe

You have answered your question nah. From the sound of the exhaust or very extreme bad fuel economy (petrol Guage always in free fall even on short trips) but the sound is easiest

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Know If You Have A Leaky Exhaust Pipe ? by iaatmguy(m): 6:55pm On Apr 28, 2017
nurey:

You have answered your question nah. From the sound of the exhaust or very extreme bad fuel economy (petrol Guage always in free fall even on short trips) but the sound is easiest
No i haven't, the Said vehicles have a loud engine sound , so might be difficult in detecting a leaky exhaust pipe
Re: How Do You Know If You Have A Leaky Exhaust Pipe ? by Nobody: 7:10pm On Apr 28, 2017
iaatmguy:
No i haven't, the Said vehicles have a loud engine sound , so might be difficult in detecting a leaky exhaust pipe

Toyota Matrix has a Corolla engine that is not even sport tuned, and it is not by any means loud, in fact one of the most quiet engines. Unless it has been kazimised and fan connected to run as soon as ignition is turned on, or catalytic converter deleted.

7 Likes

Re: How Do You Know If You Have A Leaky Exhaust Pipe ? by nurey(m): 8:30pm On Apr 28, 2017
iaatmguy:

You are one funny dude grin what is your definition of loud engine? Even a V8 engine isn't loud enough not to detect exhaust leak, except maybe you have converted the car engine to "Tatapupu" pepper grinder grin

OK here are symptoms of exhaust leak

1. A crackling sound at idle which increases as you accelerate or stress engine (trying to climb hill)

2. Non responsive accelerator. Even if you kick down, the car won't respond quickly to acceleration because of exhaust leak, there is a break in the backward torque (forgotten that term)

3. Bad fuel economy. More noticeable in higher engines like V6 upwards. Car could be doing 25L/100km

4. Radio active counter. You send a radioactive element into the pipe, get a Geiger Miller counter once there is a leak, the counter makes more beep in the region. This instrument is only used for detecting leaks in plane after welding I guess you can also utilize it grin Goodluck.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Know If You Have A Leaky Exhaust Pipe ? by iaatmguy(m): 6:48am On Apr 29, 2017
nurey:

You are one funny dude grin what is your definition of loud engine? Even a V8 engine isn't loud enough not to detect exhaust leak, except maybe you have converted the car engine to "Tatapupu" pepper grinder grin

OK here are symptoms of exhaust leak

1. A crackling sound at idle which increases as you accelerate or stress engine (trying to climb hill)

2. Non responsive accelerator. Even if you kick down, the car won't respond quickly to acceleration because of exhaust leak, there is a break in the backward torque (forgotten that term)

3. Bad fuel economy. More noticeable in higher engines like V6 upwards. Car could be doing 25L/100km

4. Radio active counter. You send a radioactive element into the pipe, get a Geiger Miller counter once there is a leak, the counter makes more beep in the region. This instrument is only used for detecting leaks in plane after welding I guess you can also utilize it grin Goodluck.
now you are talking
Thanks a lot

1 Like

Re: How Do You Know If You Have A Leaky Exhaust Pipe ? by SWORD419(m): 7:22am On Apr 29, 2017
by d sound na
Re: How Do You Know If You Have A Leaky Exhaust Pipe ? by teozey111(m): 7:22am On Apr 29, 2017
even people wey no get car dey comment ...
ok naa

check ma signature for ur weekend bet tips

1 Like

Re: How Do You Know If You Have A Leaky Exhaust Pipe ? by kbby: 7:27am On Apr 29, 2017
From the sound and fuel consumption, definitely you will know.
Re: How Do You Know If You Have A Leaky Exhaust Pipe ? by Flexherbal(m): 7:29am On Apr 29, 2017
kbby:
From the sound and fuel consumption, definitely you will know.
Re: How Do You Know If You Have A Leaky Exhaust Pipe ? by AnusOdourInhaler: 7:29am On Apr 29, 2017
Visit qualified mechanic

1 Like

Re: How Do You Know If You Have A Leaky Exhaust Pipe ? by victor54: 7:31am On Apr 29, 2017
greenhulk:

Toyota Matrix has a Corolla engine that is not even sport tuned, and it is not by any means loud, in fact one of the most quiet engines. Unless it has been kazimised and fan connected to run as soon as ignition is turned on, or catalytic converter deleted.

I have a Toyota matrix and my fan runs as soon as d ignition is turned ON, how do I reconnect it back. Also how do I check d catalytic converter.
Re: How Do You Know If You Have A Leaky Exhaust Pipe ? by miqos02(m): 7:42am On Apr 29, 2017
good
Re: How Do You Know If You Have A Leaky Exhaust Pipe ? by honmusa(m): 7:45am On Apr 29, 2017
victor54:

I have a Toyota matrix and my fan runs as soon as d ignition is turned ON, how do I reconnect it back. Also how do I check d catalytic converter.
Don't be too eager to reconnect the fan back to default unless you can confirm 100% that the car has not been overheating previously or if the cooling system is 100% intact before it was connected direct.
You need to resolve the cause of previous overheating before you now go ahead to reconnect to default .
Then to connect to default wiring ,u need to know and understand your cooling system wiring circuit and also you need to know what was done to make it direct .
The most accurate for checking catalytic converter efficiency is by use of infra red thermometer but that might be beyond the reach of average mechanic ,so u need to visit a panel beater to physically check for you but that checking can only check if is still there but cannot check its efficiency.

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Know If You Have A Leaky Exhaust Pipe ? by Nobody: 7:50am On Apr 29, 2017
OP, if you have driven the car for some time, you will become familiar with the usual sound/pitch of the car engine. Once there is a deviation, you will easily observe it. When the exhaust pipe is leaking, you will most probably spot the change in the sound pitch during engine crank (as in startup).
In summary: Know your engine. grin grin grin
Re: How Do You Know If You Have A Leaky Exhaust Pipe ? by Chuukwudi(m): 8:12am On Apr 29, 2017
My eyes feel uncomfortable when I'm in the car.
Re: How Do You Know If You Have A Leaky Exhaust Pipe ? by femi4: 8:39am On Apr 29, 2017
From the fuel consumption
Re: How Do You Know If You Have A Leaky Exhaust Pipe ? by Nobody: 9:56am On Apr 29, 2017
Chuukwudi:
My eyes feel uncomfortable when I'm in the car.

Toyota Matrix, worst dashboard in a modern car.
Re: How Do You Know If You Have A Leaky Exhaust Pipe ? by stamapro(m): 11:06am On Apr 29, 2017
from fuel intake, sound as ur fire, and you can keep it running while u cover the exhuast pipe with you hand,if there's a leak, you will hear a whistling sound.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Know If You Have A Leaky Exhaust Pipe ? by iaatmguy(m): 5:48am On Apr 30, 2017
greenhulk:

seriously?
Re: How Do You Know If You Have A Leaky Exhaust Pipe ? by yeman1(m): 9:58am On Aug 27, 2017
I'm using an old car Honda Accord 90
from lagos (agege) to ibadan (apata) to and fro, I use 3k fuel . but d problem is that I do perceive something like d exhaust is leaking somehow coz of d slightly smell when I'm on 120km/ph.
so I went to d panel man to help me to check. he said d exhaust pipe didn't breath well, that's why and I need to add small pipe to d exhaust pipe. so he said if I don't do it it will kill my engine. pls how true is this? I need ur advice.

(1) (Reply)

Toyota Corolla "Leg Pull" / Honda Accord 1997(academy) Vs Toyota Camry 1998(tiny Light)? Please, Your Advice / Bad Or Failing Fuel Pump? These Maybe The Causes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.