Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,791 members, 7,824,290 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 07:29 AM

Top 6 Employability Skills In Shortage Among Nigerian Graduates - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Top 6 Employability Skills In Shortage Among Nigerian Graduates (16166 Views)

Reasons Why Most Nigerian Graduates Are Not Employable / 5 Productive Things Nigerian Graduates Can Do During Weekends / Top 7 Blue Collar Jobs Unemployed Nigerian Graduates Should Consider (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 6 Employability Skills In Shortage Among Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 9:34am On Apr 29, 2017
Our educational system is tailored to produce more certificate holders than solution providers. As a student in Nigeria, you spend over 70% of your schooling years learning theories, this may be a hypothesis but it’s not far from the truth. Quite a number of courses offered in our higher institutions are focused on solving abstract problems and not real life problems. As a result we have too many people with certificates but jobless or underemployed.

Certificate don’t make people outstanding, skill does. The more skills you have, the better your options in the labour market. The level of skills you have will greatly affect your career pace and your earning potential.

So many graduates know a lot about the courses they studied but only a handful know how to create value with the knowledge and make money off it. This is because our schools don’t teach us how to apply our knowledge to real life situations. We can only learn this crucial lesson through self education.

Most powerful economies are run by people with skills (with or without certificates). To make significant contributions to our country and enjoy the dividends of Nigerian economy you need to level up your skills level. Make skills acquisition a lifetime goal.

Here’s six necessary skills every graduate should learn:

1. Digital Literacy

Digital literacy is the set of competencies required for full participation in a knowledge society. It includes knowledge, skills, and behaviors involving the effective use of digital devices such as smartphones ,
tablets , laptops and desktop PCs for purposes of communication, expression, collaboration and advocacy. While digital literacy initially focused on digital skills and stand-alone computers, the focus has shifted from stand-alone to network devices including the Internet and social media.

This is number one on the list simply because the acquisition of other skills is significantly dependent on it. We are in a digital age, and for most organizations – computer literacy is not optional but necessary. Without this skills your chances of getting a good job is limited.

2. Research Skills

Your ability to assess a situation, seek multiple perspectives, gather more information if necessary, and identify key issues that need to be addressed are critically important.

Since every potential employer, regardless of the profession, is seeking employees who can help them to solve problems the more that you can showcase your abilities in this area will certainly catch their attention.

3. Leadership Skills

Leadership skills are not only required at executive levels, they are critical for success at all levels. Leadership skills include strategic thinking, ability to make thoughtful decisions about organization’s objectives, effective communication, etc.

According to MindTools Leaders help themselves and others to do the right things. They set direction, build an inspiring vision, and create something new. Leadership is about mapping out where you need to go to “win” as a team or an organization; and it is dynamic, exciting, and inspiring.

4. Communication Skills

Communication is an inevitable skill required for success in all walks of life. This is the ability to effectively and efficiently express your ideas or views to another person. With clear communication you can get your message to a prospective employer impressively. Here’s an article on
Improving Communication Skills in Your Work and Personal Relationships (link is click able on the article). See full article link below.

5. Salesmanship

Salesmanship is defined as the level of skill you have in convincing people to buy or in persuading people to do something. Starting from your resume down to interview, this skill is important. You have to sell yourself well at each stage of the recruitment exercise to get any prominent job.

You need to do all you can to improve on your salesmanship, you can read these tips on how to improve your salesmanship.

Read the full article here: https://sproutby.com/top-6-employability-skills-shortage-among-nigerian-graduates/

What other skills would you like to add to the list?
Please share your thoughts on this post with me.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top 6 Employability Skills In Shortage Among Nigerian Graduates by Magjoel(m): 9:57am On Apr 29, 2017
Nice post, I'm very much inspire smiley
Re: Top 6 Employability Skills In Shortage Among Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 5:45pm On Apr 29, 2017
Magjoel:
Nice post, I'm very much inspire smiley
Thanks for your comment.

1 Like

Re: Top 6 Employability Skills In Shortage Among Nigerian Graduates by HRich(m): 8:11am On Apr 30, 2017
OK

its nice

1 Like

Re: Top 6 Employability Skills In Shortage Among Nigerian Graduates by sakalisis(m): 8:13am On Apr 30, 2017
Make I go learn

1 Like

Re: Top 6 Employability Skills In Shortage Among Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 8:15am On Apr 30, 2017
Digital Skills...for this naija wen most graduates nah G-men.

grin grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Top 6 Employability Skills In Shortage Among Nigerian Graduates by teamv: 8:18am On Apr 30, 2017
storry

1 Like

Re: Top 6 Employability Skills In Shortage Among Nigerian Graduates by ennysuccess(m): 8:22am On Apr 30, 2017
cheesy
Re: Top 6 Employability Skills In Shortage Among Nigerian Graduates by nero2face: 8:27am On Apr 30, 2017
On point...u can't go to any company in Nigeria owned or managed by Asians (INDIA or CHINA) and tell them u have Masters degree...bros u must come do am make dem see with their eyes first b4 u get that job...

4 Likes

Re: Top 6 Employability Skills In Shortage Among Nigerian Graduates by Sunnylink(m): 8:35am On Apr 30, 2017
OP IS ON POINT

1 Like

Re: Top 6 Employability Skills In Shortage Among Nigerian Graduates by BiafranBushBoy: 8:39am On Apr 30, 2017
What about IT skills??

If you don't have, Even 30k can help you learn a complex skill...

Web Design

Web Development

Mobile App Development

CCNA

If you don't have these and complain about "No Jobs", you are doing yourself...

1 Like

Re: Top 6 Employability Skills In Shortage Among Nigerian Graduates by malele(m): 8:40am On Apr 30, 2017
Crap, u can have some of those skills and still stay at home for long.

2 Likes

Re: Top 6 Employability Skills In Shortage Among Nigerian Graduates by Darkseid(m): 8:41am On Apr 30, 2017
Number 1: checked
Number 2: checked
Number 3: checked
Number 4: checked
Number 5: checked

I kinda have all the skills here, meaning say I go hammer be that cool cool

2 Likes

Re: Top 6 Employability Skills In Shortage Among Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 8:47am On Apr 30, 2017
malele:
Crap, u can have some of those skills and still stay at home for long.

you may even have none of those and still be NNPC boss in Nigeria base on logisticslogistics.

6 Likes

Re: Top 6 Employability Skills In Shortage Among Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 8:55am On Apr 30, 2017
I be artiste..nothing concern me..

Re: Top 6 Employability Skills In Shortage Among Nigerian Graduates by jdstunt(m): 9:05am On Apr 30, 2017
Ok
Re: Top 6 Employability Skills In Shortage Among Nigerian Graduates by lanre316: 9:44am On Apr 30, 2017
You forgot the greatest employability skills in Nigerian labour market- CONNECTION. Knowing the right people will get you far ahead than those who only know books.

3 Likes

Re: Top 6 Employability Skills In Shortage Among Nigerian Graduates by GCsomething: 10:08am On Apr 30, 2017
Darkseid:
Number 1: checked
Number 2: checked
Number 3: checked
Number 4: checked
Number 5: checked

I kinda have all the skills here, meaning say I go hammer be that cool cool

I have these skills too. I had attended a CV clinic and the panel (made up of HRs) recommended my CV to be persuasive with all needed details and information highest.Yet, I haven't had any call from all the numerous application.
However, I am highly expectant and will hit it soon.

3 Likes

Re: Top 6 Employability Skills In Shortage Among Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 10:17am On Apr 30, 2017
BiafranBushBoy:
What about IT skills??

If you don't have, Even 30k can help you learn a complex skill...

Web Design

Web Development

Mobile App Development

CCNA

If you don't have these and complain about "No Jobs", you are doing yourself...
It falls under Digital tal Literacy. Happy Sunday!
Re: Top 6 Employability Skills In Shortage Among Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 10:21am On Apr 30, 2017
lanre316:
You forgot the greatest employability skills in Nigerian labour market- CONNECTION. Knowing the right people will get you far ahead than those who only know books.
Connection no doubt is important, but there are throngs of companies in Nigeria that recruit base on merit.
Re: Top 6 Employability Skills In Shortage Among Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 10:32am On Apr 30, 2017
GCsomething:

I have these skills too. I had attended a CV clinic and the panel (made up of HRs) recommended my CV to be persuasive with all needed details and information highest.Yet, I haven't had any call from all the numerous application.
Sure, you will by God's grace. While you wait for a call from a prominent employer, you can check out this article I wrote about organizing and packing what you have (like skills and experiences) to deliver value to people and make money off it: https://sproutby.com/a-simple-plan-for-making-economic-recession-work-for-you/
Please, let me know your thoughts on this. See you at the top soon.
Re: Top 6 Employability Skills In Shortage Among Nigerian Graduates by Darkseid(m): 10:56am On Apr 30, 2017
GCsomething:

I pray it works out for you.

1 Like

Re: Top 6 Employability Skills In Shortage Among Nigerian Graduates by subsurface: 11:08am On Apr 30, 2017
@op..

Most of them, the unemployed/underemployed youths would not read or practices these points..

Tomorrow they will say na Buhari recession..

meanwhile they are busy wasting their mb on Tonto, otobo, bbnaija, premiership etc and gossips

2 Likes

Re: Top 6 Employability Skills In Shortage Among Nigerian Graduates by Klington: 11:24am On Apr 30, 2017
Graduates need all the skills in the world to appear employable including nysc discharge certificates n not more than 26years old with at least 3 years cognitive experience.
Nigeria politicians need just any certificates be it nepa bill, hospital bill, ssce, with F9 parallel. Joke of a nation.

5 Likes

Re: Top 6 Employability Skills In Shortage Among Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 11:28am On Apr 30, 2017
grin
subsurface:
@op..

Most of them, the unemployed/underemployed youths would not read or practices these points..

Tomorrow they will say na Buhari recession..

meanwhile they are busy wasting their mb on Tonto, otobo, bbnaija, premiership etc and gossips
Re: Top 6 Employability Skills In Shortage Among Nigerian Graduates by Chukwuka16: 11:43am On Apr 30, 2017
Hmmm.

Comments loading...
Re: Top 6 Employability Skills In Shortage Among Nigerian Graduates by Gerrard59(m): 2:51pm On Apr 30, 2017
Astonishingly, you forgot analytical skills to tackle job tests. Why have leadership skills and you cannot pass SHL or TalentQ?
Re: Top 6 Employability Skills In Shortage Among Nigerian Graduates by hero2000: 4:16pm On Apr 30, 2017
Klington:
Graduates need all the skills in the world to appear employable including nysc discharge certificates n not more than 26years old with at least 3 years cognitive experience.
Nigeria politicians need just any certificates be it nepa bill, hospital bill, ssce, with F9 parallel. Joke of a nation.

I have always wondered what the obsession is with ' not above 26yrs of age'. As if your brain starts to nose dive after 26!

1 Like

Re: Top 6 Employability Skills In Shortage Among Nigerian Graduates by Klington: 5:41pm On Apr 30, 2017
hero2000:

I have always wondered what the obsession is with ' not above 26yrs of age'. As if your brain starts to nose dive after 26!
grin grin grin grin...... 9ja factor
Re: Top 6 Employability Skills In Shortage Among Nigerian Graduates by lanre316: 5:51pm On Apr 30, 2017
Inspirationever:
Connection no doubt is important, but there are throngs of companies in Nigeria that recruit base on merit.

For those throngs of companies, there are thronger companies in Nigeria that one would never get opportunity to work in without connection. It's good to build oneself, it's also good to understand Nigerian peculiar situation of labour market and utilise every resource available.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Got A Job Through Nairaland. / The Job Seeker Daily Routine And Why You Will Get Hired / Ambassador Care

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.