Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,464 members, 7,819,689 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:05 PM

We Are Nigerians (let's Stop The Hate) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Are Nigerians (let's Stop The Hate) (578 Views)

Are Nigerians Docile? - Charly Boy Blows Hot / Trip To Memory, Nnamdi Kanu Started The Hate Speech. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Are Nigerians (let's Stop The Hate) by Akposb(m): 11:21am On Apr 29, 2017
This article was inspired by the NCAN
(Name Checkers Association of Nigeria)

The antics of this group might seem innocuous but the consequence of their actions could be grim and unsettling. They have generated both laughter and derision, both emotions I have shared. It is a true representation of what we have in our larger society. This behaviour indicts our seeming ignorance of the reality that humans are made to cohabit with one tribe or the other.
The whole idea of humanity zeros on us as individuals. The individual is the foundation of the society before we bring tribe, state and country affiliations into consideration. The individual therefore has the choice of making another its enemy, friend or partner. In our bid to celebrate those hints of excellence that lives in Nigeria and abroad, we tend to claim an air of superiority either as a means to validate ourselves or ethnic group. The basic reality is that as an individual, you are capable of reinventing or delivering that achievement you celebrate in another.

Tribal affiliations and a false sense of superiority has been the bane of this country since time immemorial and this manifested itself fully in the civil war. The issue of racial or ethnic bias is all over the world space with the notorious example of Hitler’s campaign against the Jews in Germany. The reality is that in celebrating our tribe while casting aspersions at others, we are only creating a situation where war and disaster is inevitable. The major deficiency and fall-out tribal discrimination is depriving ourselves the benefit of having a positive and productive relationship with another person from a different tribe.
The individual is above all else, a representation of him/herself. It is not a subject of tribe or Country though we cannot rule out the importance of these two groupings but everything is determined by how well the individual puts its ability to use. The fact that you celebrate your fellow tribesman will not change the reality of your situation. The reality is that our lot improves when we find a way to work together. This write-up is not oblivious to the fragile situation we find ourselves in this country but it is pertinent to know that only the wise can truly build a good and sustainable nation.

Alliances across ethnic group has been built and I will cite an example here. Dangote and Babaginda are a significant part of Adenuga’s circle of friends. These two are from the North and the other from the South-West. The general thought is that these set of people have a good relationship but the reality is that everything is based on the individual. I came across a brief history of Adenuga and read about his exploits in the business world. It was inconceivable in the context of this essay that his fellow kinsman from the same state almost destroyed his dream of building a telecommunications firm. The Nigerian situation is a common trend irrespective of your ethnic group.

The individuals in a bid to better a condition will always appeal to any immediate group he belongs to. In our quest for change and development, several solutions has been mooted and one is that the nation should break up. If it happens, it is fine but why we remain together, we must find a way to appreciate our differences. Yes, there is a possibility that a solution could arise from separation but the prediction for such lofty expectation is lopsided. A good reason for scepticism is the performance of our state governments. My state has numerous ethnic groups but that notwithstanding, we have had the misfortune of being governed by a supposed indigene for eight years with nothing to show for it. If we were to go on our own, that will not change the fact that such greedy elements will not come along the leadership route. Bad and retrogressive leadership is almost a staple in all states of the Federation. The fact is that individuals represent how best to group efficiency not tribal affiliation. It is not for any reason that Lagos state with its eclectic mixture of people is the most productive and advanced state in Nigeria. It therefore goes to show that there is indeed strength in diversity.

Foreign Example

I will like to make a case for the benefits of integration and cooperation here. The UK in June, last year exited the European Union. It was not a consensus decision from my findings as most of the youth population wanted their nation to remain in the Union while majority of the elderly population and rural communities voted in favour of the exit. One major decision that influenced the decision to break away was the fact that immigrants from other European nations were taking over the jobs and opportunities in the country.

The UK exit can easily be seen as a litmus test for what separation does to a people who in their bid to lift their tribal affiliation to some inexcusable height end up destroying their advantage. For those not in the know, the European Union is a loose federation of several European nations who have agreed to come together as one despite their tribal and cultural differences. Citizens are free to live and trade among themselves without any need for Visa and passport regulation.

Britain has just triggered the clause that will lead to their formal exit. The nation is swamped with issue of financial struggles and fears about their economic future outside the union. Scotland, a part of UK is asking for a referendum in a bid to exit the union. The UK will lose access to the single market and also other benefits which comes with the membership of being part of the European Union.

The reality is that in a bid to create a distinct nationality they have hurt the equilibrium that ensures development for all. Freedom is not the absence of laws or burdens, it is the grace and right to thrive under this that matters at the end of the day. I used the example of Britain to illustrate the reality of how dependent we are despite our seeming excellence or superiority.

The individual is the most important hence let’s celebrate the individual, our tribe without casting aspersions at the other. We must recognize that we may have different colours, faces and tribes but we all have a common soul. The divine law says that we should love our neighbour as ourselves. Our neighbour is essentially any man or woman regardless of their point of origin.

Written by me.
Re: We Are Nigerians (let's Stop The Hate) by princechurchill(m): 11:28am On Apr 29, 2017
Nwanne if you have my back then you be ALOBAM,.. No energy for hatred,
Re: We Are Nigerians (let's Stop The Hate) by omenkaLives(m): 11:29am On Apr 29, 2017
Wasting your time bro.. What you'd get is more tomatoes on your face.

There was a time I proposed a 24 hours ceasefire (which I nevertheless observed for ONE week) and all I got was more insults from both sides at each other.

Willing to do it again though if the idea flies.
Re: We Are Nigerians (let's Stop The Hate) by GenBloodykiIler: 11:58am On Apr 29, 2017
[s]
omenkaLives:
Wasting your time bro.. What you'd get is more tomatoes on your face.

There was a time I proposed a 24 hours ceasefire (which I nevertheless observed for ONE week) and all I got was more insults from both sides at each other.

Willing to do it again though if the idea flies.
[/s]
Nonsense trash

1 Like

Re: We Are Nigerians (let's Stop The Hate) by Emekamex(m): 12:03pm On Apr 29, 2017
I guess it is already too late for this.
It would have had more effect if this article was posted 3 years ago.
Re: We Are Nigerians (let's Stop The Hate) by Cooly100: 12:04pm On Apr 29, 2017
Akposb:
This article was inspired by the NCAN
(Name Checkers Association of Nigeria)

The antics of this group might seem innocuous but the consequence of their actions could be grim and unsettling. They have generated both laughter and derision, both emotions I have shared. It is a true representation of what we have in our larger society. This behaviour indicts our seeming ignorance of the reality that humans are made to cohabit with one tribe or the other.
The whole idea of humanity zeros on us as individuals. The individual is the foundation of the society before we bring tribe, state and country affiliations into consideration. The individual therefore has the choice of making another its enemy, friend or partner. In our bid to celebrate those hints of excellence that lives in Nigeria and abroad, we tend to claim an air of superiority either as a means to validate ourselves or ethnic group. The basic reality is that as an individual, you are capable of reinventing or delivering that achievement you celebrate in another.

Tribal affiliations and a false sense of superiority has been the bane of this country since time immemorial and this manifested itself fully in the civil war. The issue of racial or ethnic bias is all over the world space with the notorious example of Hitler’s campaign against the Jews in Germany. The reality is that in celebrating our tribe while casting aspersions at others, we are only creating a situation where war and disaster is inevitable. The major deficiency and fall-out tribal discrimination is depriving ourselves the benefit of having a positive and productive relationship with another person from a different tribe.
The individual is above all else, a representation of him/herself. It is not a subject of tribe or Country though we cannot rule out the importance of these two groupings but everything is determined by how well the individual puts its ability to use. The fact that you celebrate your fellow tribesman will not change the reality of your situation. The reality is that our lot improves when we find a way to work together. This write-up is not oblivious to the fragile situation we find ourselves in this country but it is pertinent to know that only the wise can truly build a good and sustainable nation.

Alliances across ethnic group has been built and I will cite an example here. Dangote and Babaginda are a significant part of Adenuga’s circle of friends. These two are from the North and the other from the South-West. The general thought is that these set of people have a good relationship but the reality is that everything is based on the individual. I came across a brief history of Adenuga and read about his exploits in the business world. It was inconceivable in the context of this essay that his fellow kinsman from the same state almost destroyed his dream of building a telecommunications firm. The Nigerian situation is a common trend irrespective of your ethnic group.

The individuals in a bid to better a condition will always appeal to any immediate group he belongs to. In our quest for change and development, several solutions has been mooted and one is that the nation should break up. If it happens, it is fine but why we remain together, we must find a way to appreciate our differences. Yes, there is a possibility that a solution could arise from separation but the prediction for such lofty expectation is lopsided. A good reason for scepticism is the performance of our state governments. My state has numerous ethnic groups but that notwithstanding, we have had the misfortune of being governed by a supposed indigene for eight years with nothing to show for it. If we were to go on our own, that will not change the fact that such greedy elements will not come along the leadership route. Bad and retrogressive leadership is almost a staple in all states of the Federation. The fact is that individuals represent how best to group efficiency not tribal affiliation. It is not for any reason that Lagos state with its eclectic mixture of people is the most productive and advanced state in Nigeria. It therefore goes to show that there is indeed strength in diversity.

Foreign Example

I will like to make a case for the benefits of integration and cooperation here. The UK in June, last year exited the European Union. It was not a consensus decision from my findings as most of the youth population wanted their nation to remain in the Union while majority of the elderly population and rural communities voted in favour of the exit. One major decision that influenced the decision to break away was the fact that immigrants from other European nations were taking over the jobs and opportunities in the country.

The UK exit can easily be seen as a litmus test for what separation does to a people who in their bid to lift their tribal affiliation to some inexcusable height end up destroying their advantage. For those not in the know, the European Union is a loose federation of several European nations who have agreed to come together as one despite their tribal and cultural differences. Citizens are free to live and trade among themselves without any need for Visa and passport regulation.

Britain has just triggered the clause that will lead to their formal exit. The nation is swamped with issue of financial struggles and fears about their economic future outside the union. Scotland, a part of UK is asking for a referendum in a bid to exit the union. The UK will lose access to the single market and also other benefits which comes with the membership of being part of the European Union.

The reality is that in a bid to create a distinct nationality they have hurt the equilibrium that ensures development for all. Freedom is not the absence of laws or burdens, it is the grace and right to thrive under this that matters at the end of the day. I used the example of Britain to illustrate the reality of how dependent we are despite our seeming excellence or superiority.

The individual is the most important hence let’s celebrate the individual, our tribe without casting aspersions at the other. We must recognize that we may have different colours, faces and tribes but we all have a common soul. The divine law says that we should love our neighbour as ourselves. Our neighbour is essentially any man or woman regardless of their point of origin.

Written by me.

Yes, you are Nigeria once everything is in your favor. Have you considered how other Nigerians are treated in their own the country? Read this>>>>

51 of the 479 new recruits came from Katsina, which is more than the 42 new cadets recruited from the six South-South states. Whereas Katsina had 51 new cadets, the distribution in the six South-South states is as follows: Rivers 7, Delta 8, Edo 6, Cross River 9, Bayelsa 7 and Akwa Ibom, 5. Lagos, the state with the highest population had 7 while Kano which follows had 25 and was closely followed by Kaduna with 24 and Bauchi, 23 cadets. However, a presidency source justified the recruitment quota, yesterday and said there is no lopsidedness in President Buhari’s appointments.

However, Senator Ekweremadu, the highest ranking Igbo political office holder said the reality on ground for the people of the Southeast was that of exclusion from the Buhari administration. He spoke against the background of controversies surrounding the replacement of the board of the National Pension Commission, PenCom where the former Director-General, Mrs. Chinelo Anohu-Amazu from Anambra State was sacked two years into her statutory five year tenure and replaced by Aliyu Dikko from Kaduna State against the provisions of the Pension Reforms Act, 2014. Section 21(2) of PRA 2014 provides that ‘In the event of a vacancy, the President shall appoint a replacement from the geo-political zone of the immediate past member that vacated office to complete the remaining tenure’.

Mrs. Anohu-Amazu took over after Mohammed K. Ahmad from Gombe State had served two terms of eight years under the old pension law. The fury even from some Northern elements put the blame on the administration with Dr. Junaid Mohammed describing the present administration as nepotistic and the chairman of the National Conscience Party, NCP in Katsina State saying that even in picking people from Katsina that appointments have been skewed to favour people from Buhari’s Daura region

2 Likes

Re: We Are Nigerians (let's Stop The Hate) by Akposb(m): 12:19pm On Apr 29, 2017
Cooly100:

Yes, you are Nigeria once everything is in your favor. Have you considered how other Nigerians are treated in their own the country? Read this>>>>

51 of the 479 new recruits came from Katsina, which is more than the 42 new cadets recruited from the six South-South states. Whereas Katsina had 51 new cadets, the distribution in the six South-South states is as follows: Rivers 7, Delta 8, Edo 6, Cross River 9, Bayelsa 7 and Akwa Ibom, 5. Lagos, the state with the highest population had 7 while Kano which follows had 25 and was closely followed by Kaduna with 24 and Bauchi, 23 cadets. However, a presidency source justified the recruitment quota, yesterday and said there is no lopsidedness in President Buhari’s appointments.

However, Senator Ekweremadu, the highest ranking Igbo political office holder said the reality on ground for the people of the Southeast was that of exclusion from the Buhari administration. He spoke against the background of controversies surrounding the replacement of the board of the National Pension Commission, PenCom where the former Director-General, Mrs. Chinelo Anohu-Amazu from Anambra State was sacked two years into her statutory five year tenure and replaced by Aliyu Dikko from Kaduna State against the provisions of the Pension Reforms Act, 2014. Section 21(2) of PRA 2014 provides that ‘In the event of a vacancy, the President shall appoint a replacement from the geo-political zone of the immediate past member that vacated office to complete the remaining tenure’.

Mrs. Anohu-Amazu took over after Mohammed K. Ahmad from Gombe State had served two terms of eight years under the old pension law. The fury even from some Northern elements put the blame on the administration with Dr. Junaid Mohammed describing the present administration as nepotistic and the chairman of the National Conscience Party, NCP in Katsina State saying that even in picking people from Katsina that appointments have been skewed to favour people from Buhari’s Daura region

I am not a Northerner and the reality is that I am very much a part of the bunch who can claim being oppressed. The way of politics in Nigeria is bad but at the end of the day, the masses are the most affected. It is best for the masses to unite. It is a battle that cannot be won with division.

2 Likes

Re: We Are Nigerians (let's Stop The Hate) by Bossontop(m): 12:20pm On Apr 29, 2017
Until a northerner can win election in the south or a southerner win election in the north or easterner in the west and westerner in the east bla bla bla......there is nothing lyk "One Nigeria"
Re: We Are Nigerians (let's Stop The Hate) by EmeeNaka: 12:28pm On Apr 29, 2017
There is no need to preach the above by the OP. "Those that are surrounded by enemies are watchful of their life all the time".
You cannot bite the finger that feed you and expect the finger to feed you again.
The present agitation and hatred by Nigerians towards other Nigerians are well founded and are rooted in the inequality, politics of exclusion and a bid to subdue those who has different idea of life. Nigeria problem is incurable, it can only be manageable for sometimes or for all time.
OP, stop preaching. Here is a doom.
Re: We Are Nigerians (let's Stop The Hate) by inkon: 12:31pm On Apr 29, 2017
This thread lacks merit

People should please stop posting trash here and there.

There is no justice in Nigeria.

You don't beat a child and ask him not to cry.

There can never be oneness in a country where a section is consistently being treated like a conquered territory.

It can only take time but nemesis is sure.

Let those who are crying forget not to tell their stories to their children. The table must turn someday and they will get even

1 Like

Re: We Are Nigerians (let's Stop The Hate) by Akposb(m): 12:51pm On Apr 29, 2017
inkon:
This thread lacks merit

People should please stop posting trash here and there.

There is no justice in Nigeria.

You don't beat a child and ask him not to cry.

There can never be oneness in a country where a section is consistently being treated like a conquered territory.

It can only take time but nemesis is sure.

Let those who are crying forget not to tell their stories to their children. The table must turn someday and they will get even
What do you mean by merit. The reality is that we are almost in an incurable state and even if the nation break up, neighbours we shall remain. This message may sound mild and ignorant but we all know that war don't solve problems, only dialogues and treaties.
Re: We Are Nigerians (let's Stop The Hate) by inkon: 1:11pm On Apr 29, 2017
Akposb:

What do you mean by merit. The reality is that we are almost in an incurable state and even if the nation break up, neighbours we shall remain. This message may sound mild and ignorant but we all know that war don't solve problems, only dialogues and treaties.

-merit in all proper sense of issue-analysis

What have we not said? How have we not done it? For over 50 years the story is still the same, or perhaps, worse. That's more than half of a century you know

Stop preaching to the dead for he has gone beyond repentance.

I pray for peaceful resolution but if war is the only way, so be it.

Who will live forever? I agree with the man who said he would rather die on his feet than live on his knees.

The truth is that I've never hated anything as much as I hate Nigeria right now. I can only say otherwise in deliberate self deception.

The unimaginable level of lies against a people and again, the stupidd believe that it will one day get better, on its own, is already doing great towards destroying the country

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Willie And Mou / United States: Buhari’s Agenda Very Well Matches Ours / Governor Rochas. O And Professor Anthony .O Should......

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.