Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,031 members, 7,818,045 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:52 AM

How A Four Stroke Petrol Engine Works - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How A Four Stroke Petrol Engine Works (9959 Views)

Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer / Toyota Develops World's Most Thermally Efficient 2.0-liter Petrol Engine / Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How A Four Stroke Petrol Engine Works by obafemee80(m): 12:13pm On Apr 29, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGj8OneMjek

A four-stroke engine (also known as four cycle) is an internal combustion (IC) engine in which the piston completes four separate strokes while turning a crankshaft. A stroke refers to the full travel of the piston along the cylinder, in either direction.

[img]http:///a/img923/2964/h11Tmx.gif[/img]

The four separate strokes are termed

Intake stroke: intake valve opens and the piston moves down allowing the fuel-air mix to enter the open space.

Compression stroke: the piston moves upwards. This compresses the fuel-air mix by forcing it into a smaller space. Compression makes the fuel-air mix explode with greater force.

Power cycle: spark from a spark plug ignites the fuel-air mix. The explosion forces the piston down the cylinder.

Exhaust cycle: the exhaust valve opens and the piston moves back to the top of the cylinder which forces the exhaust fumes out.

[img]http:///a/img924/2218/glM5YJ.gif[/img]

The bottom of each piston is attached to the crankshaft.

As the pistons are forced up and down they rotate the crankshaft, which after sending the power through the transmission, turns wheels.

Most cars have at least four cylinders. More powerful cars have more. For example a V6 has six cylinders and a V8 has eight.

https://animagraffs.com/how-a-car-engine-works/

http://paniit2008.org/AgriculturalEngineering/car-engine-mechanism

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-stroke_engine

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How A Four Stroke Petrol Engine Works by Chrisozone: 8:00am On Apr 30, 2017
Seen.

But i dont have money to buy car yet
Re: How A Four Stroke Petrol Engine Works by Nobody: 8:02am On Apr 30, 2017
I almost made FCT if not for the guy above me. Oga your network must be 10g+

All these little motorcycles(scooters): their engine have just one piston. Can we then call them one stroke engine.

1 Like

Re: How A Four Stroke Petrol Engine Works by Nobody: 8:02am On Apr 30, 2017
What about 6 Strokes?
Re: How A Four Stroke Petrol Engine Works by KingLennon(m): 8:03am On Apr 30, 2017
Op can you list some of the car models with this engine? Whether i fit manage buy one
Re: How A Four Stroke Petrol Engine Works by DjAndroid: 8:03am On Apr 30, 2017
What of V12 engine, how does it work?

1 Like

Re: How A Four Stroke Petrol Engine Works by maxiuc(m): 8:09am On Apr 30, 2017
DjAndroid:
see you hahaha u won confuse the guy

1 Like

Re: How A Four Stroke Petrol Engine Works by Nobody: 8:12am On Apr 30, 2017
okay.
Re: How A Four Stroke Petrol Engine Works by AleeDee(m): 8:12am On Apr 30, 2017
Something learnt
Re: How A Four Stroke Petrol Engine Works by jessejagga(m): 8:12am On Apr 30, 2017
A v12 engine can be a 4 stroke or 2 stroke
DjAndroid:
Re: How A Four Stroke Petrol Engine Works by canah01(m): 8:12am On Apr 30, 2017
AUT111(ITE/futminna), Mr. Taitai
Re: How A Four Stroke Petrol Engine Works by badbreathcure101: 8:15am On Apr 30, 2017
Wetin cosine me, buy tokunbo or new cars if you don't want to become a mechanic
Re: How A Four Stroke Petrol Engine Works by obafemee80(m): 8:18am On Apr 30, 2017
KingLennon:
Op can you list some of the car models with this engine? Whether i fit manage buy one
All cars use 4 strokes mechanism to work
DjAndroid:
A V12 engine is a V engine with 12 cylinders mounted on the crankcase
The V12 simply means the engine has 12 cylinders and each cylinder have to undergo the same 4 strokes to turn the crankcase.
The more the cylinders, the more powerful the car
Pics below is V12 engine

2 Likes

Re: How A Four Stroke Petrol Engine Works by KingLennon(m): 8:21am On Apr 30, 2017
obafemee80:

The V12 simply means the engine has 12 cylinders and each cylinder have to undergo the same 4 strokes to turn the crankcase.
Tank u

2 Likes

Re: How A Four Stroke Petrol Engine Works by megasoul: 8:23am On Apr 30, 2017
Omagzee:

All these little motorcycles(scooters): their engine have just one piston. Can we then call them one stroke engine.

The number of pistons doesn't determine that rather the number of strokes a particular cylinder makes to complete a cycle. The intake, compression, power and exhaust strokes is done in four movements (two upward and two downward strokes) in a four cylinder engine. The case is different in a single cylinder engine as both intake and power strokes happens simultaneously while compression and exhaust stroke occurs in same piston movement. That makes it a two-stroke engine.
Re: How A Four Stroke Petrol Engine Works by DjAndroid: 8:23am On Apr 30, 2017
obafemee80:

Thanks for this. Honestly, I thought that 4stroke engines are the i4s (4 cylinders) only.

2 Likes

Re: How A Four Stroke Petrol Engine Works by murtala120: 8:27am On Apr 30, 2017
nice,for people that a knowledge hungry.thanks bro
Re: How A Four Stroke Petrol Engine Works by megasoul: 8:31am On Apr 30, 2017
obafemee80:

Very true. Also, The bigger the volume of the cylinder (measured in litres or cc i.e cubic centimeters, the more powerful the engine.

1 Like

Re: How A Four Stroke Petrol Engine Works by nero2face: 8:31am On Apr 30, 2017
all men jes dey form engineer here...oya make I ask una, wetin dey do the work of spark plug for diesel engine, and wetin be de work of flywheel for engine..., after that make una tell me wetin make Ee no good to add water for radiator immediately if ur car overheat... Engineers oya oh
Re: How A Four Stroke Petrol Engine Works by Kakamorufu(m): 8:44am On Apr 30, 2017
absolutely correct. proudly mechanical engineer
Re: How A Four Stroke Petrol Engine Works by yahmaid04(m): 8:56am On Apr 30, 2017
Omagzee:

There is nothing like one stroke engine, either 2 or 4 stoke
Re: How A Four Stroke Petrol Engine Works by Nobody: 8:59am On Apr 30, 2017
megasoul:

The number of pistons doesn't determine that rather the number of strokes a particular cylinder makes to complete a cycle. The intake, compression, power and exhaust strokes is done in four movements (two upward and two downward strokes) in a four cylinder engine. The case is different in a single cylinder engine as both intake and power strokes happens simultaneously while compression and exhaust stroke occurs in same piston movement. That makes it a two-stroke engine.

Now I understand. Can't all these 9ja mech guys develop their own engine since we know perfectly how it works now? Instead of welding scrap metals here there, fitting it a bajaj engine and terming it "flying keke marwa".
Re: How A Four Stroke Petrol Engine Works by Tommfrench(m): 9:05am On Apr 30, 2017
I LOVE THIS!!
Re: How A Four Stroke Petrol Engine Works by Tommfrench(m): 9:09am On Apr 30, 2017
Omagzee:

Now I understand. Can't all these 9ja mech guys develop their own engine since we know perfectly how it works now? Instead of welding scrap metals here there, fitting it a bajaj engine and terming it "flying keke marwa".
grin , Exactly
Re: How A Four Stroke Petrol Engine Works by megasoul: 9:13am On Apr 30, 2017
nero2face:
all men jes dey form engineer here...oya make I ask una, wetin dey do the work of spark plug for diesel engine, and wetin be de work of flywheel for engine..., after that make una tell me wetin make Ee no good to add water for radiator immediately if ur car overheat... Engineers oya oh

According to the ideal gas equation, temperature of a given mass of gas increases with pressure increase or volume decrease. So in a C.I ( compression ignition) engine, the compression of the fuel/air mixture is so high that the temperature gets very high till it self ignites. Thats why diesel engines don't need spark plugs to ignite the mixture.

As for the flywheel, it's function is to store rotational energy from the torque(force) of the crankshaft and helps in providing a smoother spin or rotation to the transmission system i.e from the gearbox via propeller to wheels.

For the overheating ish, i think it has to do with avoiding rapid cooling of the system as that could cause deformity in the molecular structure of the metal parts in d engine block

5 Likes

Re: How A Four Stroke Petrol Engine Works by Majesticniyi(m): 9:15am On Apr 30, 2017
nero2face:

You sha want attention abi? You got mine...however I won't dignify your questions with answers. Why? You ask to mock not to learn.
Re: How A Four Stroke Petrol Engine Works by Tinyemeka(m): 9:36am On Apr 30, 2017
Omagzee:

I believe theirs are 2-stroke engines.
Re: How A Four Stroke Petrol Engine Works by erico2k2(m): 9:37am On Apr 30, 2017
obafemee80:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGj8OneMjek

A four-stroke engine (also known as four cycle) is an internal combustion (IC) engine in which the piston completes four separate strokes while turning a crankshaft. A stroke refers to the full travel of the piston along the cylinder, in either direction.

[img]http:///a/img923/2964/h11Tmx.gif[/img]

The four separate strokes are termed

Intake stroke: intake valve opens and the piston moves down allowing the fuel-air mix to enter the open space.

Compression stroke: the piston moves upwards. This compresses the fuel-air mix by forcing it into a smaller space. Compression makes the fuel-air mix explode with greater force.

Power cycle: spark from a spark plug ignites the fuel-air mix. The explosion forces the piston down the cylinder.

Exhaust cycle: the exhaust valve opens and the piston moves back to the top of the cylinder which forces the exhaust fumes out.

[img]http:///a/img924/2218/glM5YJ.gif[/img]

The bottom of each piston is attached to the crankshaft.

As the pistons are forced up and down they rotate the crankshaft, which after sending the power through the transmission, turns wheels.

Most cars have at least four cylinders. More powerful cars have more. For example a V6 has six cylinders and a V8 has eight.

https://animagraffs.com/how-a-car-engine-works/

http://paniit2008.org/AgriculturalEngineering/car-engine-mechanism

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-stroke_engine

I think this is now old due to VV tronics
Re: How A Four Stroke Petrol Engine Works by Ijaya123: 9:42am On Apr 30, 2017
megasoul:

Very true. Also, The bigger the volume of the cylinder (measured in litres or cc i.e cubic centimeters, the more powerful the engine.

And some small aircrafts also use V12 engines.
Re: How A Four Stroke Petrol Engine Works by Tonywhite007(m): 9:53am On Apr 30, 2017
Any engine that has intake valves and exhaust valves are all 4-stroke engine. while engines with inlet port and outlet port located at the engine block are 2-stroke engines. e.g small tiger generator also known as "I better pass my neighbor"

Also, 2-stroke engine burn out smoking due to mixture of oil-fuel in the combusting chamber while 4-stroke does not. if it does, it means ur engine piston and rings is bad.
Re: How A Four Stroke Petrol Engine Works by bigsmoke2(m): 10:08am On Apr 30, 2017
This is nice
Re: How A Four Stroke Petrol Engine Works by AdultMaleNegro(m): 10:28am On Apr 30, 2017
This was one of the most interesting topics in engineering scznhool.

The number of pistons determines fuel consumption and the engine power.

The Bugatti Veyron has one of the most powerful car engines called the W16. 16 pistons in 16 cylinders.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lamborghini Builds 10,000th Huracan After 4yrs.Details Of Its Successor Revealed / Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change / Compare Which Is Better & Rugged Between Sienna 04/05 And Acura MDX 05/06

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.