Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,903 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:42 AM

This Is Why You Wake Up At Night Unable To Move. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / This Is Why You Wake Up At Night Unable To Move. (7843 Views)

Drone Shot Of Adeleke University At Night And In The Day Time (photos) / Experiencing University Of Ibadan At Night (Pictures) / A Pupil Was Asked To Name 3 Animals That Move At Night. See The Answer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Is Why You Wake Up At Night Unable To Move. by kingteaser619(m): 10:13pm On Apr 29, 2017
If You've Ever Woken Up In The Middle Of The Night Unable To Move, This Is Why
It may not bring you much comfort, but sleep scientists have some theories on what is going on in your brain during sleep paralysis.
BY BYRON WILE
The scene has all of the hallmarks of a horror movie. Hissing and static echo through the room. Intense fear and panic grip you while shadowy creatures and figures lurk in the room.
You'd scream or run out of the room except for one problem: Your body won't move.

What is sleep paralysis?
Sleep paralysis occurs when a person has disrupted rapid eye movement (REM) sleep. Normally the brain paralyzes the body during sleep so that it doesn't hurt itself by acting out dreams. But when sleep paralysis occurs, the person wakes partially and can see but not move.
This can last for anywhere between a few long seconds up to several eternal minutes. People who have experienced it describe it as terrifying.
Around 8 percent of people have had sleep paralysis at some point in their lives. Researchers still don't entirely understand the phenomenon, but they believe it is caused by problems in the way REM and waking stages of sleep overlap with each other.

Scientists have discovered that some people have a genetic predisposition to suffer from sleep paralysis.
Having an irregular sleep schedule or being sleep deprived can also increase the chances of having an occurrence of sleep paralysis.

Why is it so scary?
It makes sense that waking up paralyzed would be a scary experience, but having sleep paralysis is utterly terrifying. So what gives?
Scientists believe that the paralysis causes the brain to be hypervigilant. That means that your body senses the great danger of being paralyzed and goes into an emergency response mode. Remember, evolution occurs slowly.

We still have many responses based on living in the wild. The response that may have once saved us from predators now serves only to frighten us.
There are some who hypothesize that the brain errs on the side of caution by perceiving any ambiguous stimuli as harmful.
That would explain why people who experience sleep paralysis see shadows and interpret them as menacing shadow people.
Difficulty breathing is another symptom associated with sleep paralysis. According to the above theory, the brain tries to rouse the person out of their paralysis by interpreting this information in the worst way possible.
That could help explain why people commonly hallucinate demons sitting on their chests during bouts of sleep paralysis.
World of Lucid Dreaming

What's it really like?
Here are some sufferers of sleep paralysis describing it in their own words.
I've had ranging experiences. Continuations of feelings from dreams such as...hands gripping my limbs, one time a sad hug/embrace, being pulled out of bed (upon being able to move, seeing half of my body off the bed with my blanket folded, uncovering me), pressure pushing me into my bed, voices, screams.
I've seen a woman sitting in my room turn around and scream at me, various lights and shadows. The works."
Sleep Paralysis Project
Hearing the experiences of victims can be almost unbelievable. However, when you think of them in the context of your brain doing its best to wake you up, the hallucinations make more sense.

Here's another.
It happened once in my sister's room. I was lying on my back and noticed a dark figure jumping from wall to wall. Alone, it wasn't the most terrifying experience.
I have sleep paralysis often so I didn't even bother telling anyone else. The next week I was sitting at the table with my sister and she told me she had a weird dream (her first time with sleep paralysis) and she described the exact figure in detail."
Brain Decoder
So creepy!
"I’ve never had any visual encounters but when it happened the first time I was laying on my left side and started to feel that pressure on my chest.

When I realized I was paralyzed and started panicking, something whispered in my ear 'Just coming in to say goodnight.' That’s when I felt like something was pushing me towards the edge of my bed."
There's a taste of what sleep paralysis sufferers go through. If you ever fall victim, trying to wiggle a toe or say something out loud can help wake yourself. Just don't be surprised if those long seconds of paralysis feel like an eternity.

source:http://www.urbo.com/content/if-youve-ever-woken-up-in-the-middle-of-the-night-unable-to-move-this-is-why/10141?rtg=cybrid9-eMJcbL

2 Likes

Re: This Is Why You Wake Up At Night Unable To Move. by kingteaser619(m): 10:24pm On Apr 29, 2017
its terrifying, I experience it a lot

2 Likes

Re: This Is Why You Wake Up At Night Unable To Move. by notobiafrababe(f): 10:53pm On Apr 29, 2017
it happens to me a lot. very terrifying

but i noticed i xperienc it wen i sleep late or masturbate bfor sleeping

at a point i felt its because of my sins

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is Why You Wake Up At Night Unable To Move. by forreelinc(m): 10:59pm On Apr 29, 2017
tongue na lie
Na ur village pipu dey come press u

3 Likes

Re: This Is Why You Wake Up At Night Unable To Move. by notobiafrababe(f): 11:00pm On Apr 29, 2017
lalasticlala pls push it to d front page
let ppl know why they xperience sleep paralysis

2 Likes

Re: This Is Why You Wake Up At Night Unable To Move. by notobiafrababe(f): 11:00pm On Apr 29, 2017
forreelinc:
tongue na lie Na ur village pipu dey come press u

it is real o
Re: This Is Why You Wake Up At Night Unable To Move. by Kylekent59: 11:13pm On Apr 29, 2017
Please stop all these village pple stuff. Ur mentality is low and everything is cramping but ur brain is trying its best to put u through. That is why u are unable to move.
Do not sleep straight,make sure u sleep with ur shoulder and dnt overthink b4 sleeping.dnt face d celing sleeping.

4 Likes

Re: This Is Why You Wake Up At Night Unable To Move. by ebukahandsome(m): 12:06am On Apr 30, 2017
It happens to me a lot and I hate it
Sometimes when it does, I wonder why the person lying beside can't notice my pain and push me...
I Really hate this. but it often happen when I sleep late after night browsing and chatting

5 Likes

Re: This Is Why You Wake Up At Night Unable To Move. by EmmySparky(m): 1:33am On Apr 30, 2017
Honestly i have been through this a lot of times...i sometimes shout in it but not a word is heard in the real world...i would be calling someone walking in the real world in my room but the person would just walk past me...it scares the crap outta me and i hope i never experience it again

3 Likes

Re: This Is Why You Wake Up At Night Unable To Move. by gqboyy(m): 1:34am On Apr 30, 2017
If it happens don't panic. Just say if una like dey press me until d last day na so dem go quickly release u.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is Why You Wake Up At Night Unable To Move. by policy12: 6:08am On Apr 30, 2017
In Africa especially naija where we dey religion interpretation supercede ds theory...

1. We believe it's demonic oppression.

2. We believe our enemies is at work

3. We believe it's due to our iniquities

4. We c it as hand work of our village ppu.

Don't blame us.. .because

1 Like 1 Share

Re: This Is Why You Wake Up At Night Unable To Move. by ikemesit4477: 6:16am On Apr 30, 2017
[quote author=ebukahandsome post=56053479]It happens to me a lot and I hate it
Sometimes when it does, I wonder why the person lying beside can't notice my pain and push me...
I Really hate this. but it often happen when I sleep late after night browsing and chatting [/quote, me too it happen when I sleep late, or when I lie down facing the celling!

1 Like

Re: This Is Why You Wake Up At Night Unable To Move. by ikemesit4477: 6:32am On Apr 30, 2017
kingteaser619:

If You've Ever Woken Up In The Middle Of The Night Unable To Move, This Is Why
It may not bring you much comfort, but sleep scientists have some theories on what is going on in your brain during sleep paralysis.
BY BYRON WILE
The scene has all of the hallmarks of a horror movie. Hissing and static echo through the room. Intense fear and panic grip you while shadowy creatures and figures lurk in the room.
You'd scream or run out of the room except for one problem: Your body won't move.

What is sleep paralysis?
Sleep paralysis occurs when a person has disrupted rapid eye movement (REM) sleep. Normally the brain paralyzes the body during sleep so that it doesn't hurt itself by acting out dreams. But when sleep paralysis occurs, the person wakes partially and can see but not move.
This can last for anywhere between a few long seconds up to several eternal minutes. People who have experienced it describe it as terrifying.
Around 8 percent of people have had sleep paralysis at some point in their lives. Researchers still don't entirely understand the phenomenon, but they believe it is caused by problems in the way REM and waking stages of sleep overlap with each other.

Scientists have discovered that some people have a genetic predisposition to suffer from sleep paralysis.
Having an irregular sleep schedule or being sleep deprived can also increase the chances of having an occurrence of sleep paralysis.

Why is it so scary?
It makes sense that waking up paralyzed would be a scary experience, but having sleep paralysis is utterly terrifying. So what gives?
Scientists believe that the paralysis causes the brain to be hypervigilant. That means that your body senses the great danger of being paralyzed and goes into an emergency response mode. Remember, evolution occurs slowly.

We still have many responses based on living in the wild. The response that may have once saved us from predators now serves only to frighten us.
There are some who hypothesize that the brain errs on the side of caution by perceiving any ambiguous stimuli as harmful.
That would explain why people who experience sleep paralysis see shadows and interpret them as menacing shadow people.
Difficulty breathing is another symptom associated with sleep paralysis. According to the above theory, the brain tries to rouse the person out of their paralysis by interpreting this information in the worst way possible.
That could help explain why people commonly hallucinate demons sitting on their chests during bouts of sleep paralysis.
World of Lucid Dreaming

What's it really like?
Here are some sufferers of sleep paralysis describing it in their own words.
I've had ranging experiences. Continuations of feelings from dreams such as...hands gripping my limbs, one time a sad hug/embrace, being pulled out of bed (upon being able to move, seeing half of my body off the bed with my blanket folded, uncovering me), pressure pushing me into my bed, voices, screams.
I've seen a woman sitting in my room turn around and scream at me, various lights and shadows. The works."
Sleep Paralysis Project
Hearing the experiences of victims can be almost unbelievable. However, when you think of them in the context of your brain doing its best to wake you up, the hallucinations make more sense.

Here's another.
It happened once in my sister's room. I was lying on my back and noticed a dark figure jumping from wall to wall. Alone, it wasn't the most terrifying experience.
I have sleep paralysis often so I didn't even bother telling anyone else. The next week I was sitting at the table with my sister and she told me she had a weird dream (her first time with sleep paralysis) and she described the exact figure in detail."
Brain Decoder
So creepy!
"I’ve never had any visual encounters but when it happened the first time I was laying on my left side and started to feel that pressure on my chest.

When I realized I was paralyzed and started panicking, something whispered in my ear 'Just coming in to say goodnight.' That’s when I felt like something was pushing me towards the edge of my bed."
There's a taste of what sleep paralysis sufferers go through. If you ever fall victim, trying to wiggle a toe or say something out loud can help wake yourself. Just don't be surprised if those long seconds of paralysis feel like an eternity.

source:http://www.urbo.com/content/if-youve-ever-woken-up-in-the-middle-of-the-night-unable-to-move-this-is-why/10141?rtg=cybrid9-eMJcbL
But all my thought I think it is witches and wizard that normally come to press someone, can I say African mentality so to say!
Re: This Is Why You Wake Up At Night Unable To Move. by Tjohnnay: 7:06am On Apr 30, 2017
Choi

So its nt spiritual

Pastors don dcieve us oooooo, african and religious ar lyk buhari and failure

1 Like

Re: This Is Why You Wake Up At Night Unable To Move. by hernandson(m): 7:07am On Apr 30, 2017
omo I thought it was attack oo,cause when you don't know something,your always a slave...Kai my perception have change about it now

3 Likes

Re: This Is Why You Wake Up At Night Unable To Move. by kilonso001(m): 7:08am On Apr 30, 2017
I have had it a couple of times in the past. but not anymore. Thanks for sharing this and enlightening us.

2 Likes

Re: This Is Why You Wake Up At Night Unable To Move. by falcon01: 7:37am On Apr 30, 2017
almost everybody in Nigeria experience this and it's not scary to me actually i just know its normal i simply count 1 to 3 and voila i wake up exhausted. sometimes when you work yourself out or maybe you refuse to sleep early or when you make up in the midnight and sleep again.

1 Like

Re: This Is Why You Wake Up At Night Unable To Move. by snezBaba: 7:58am On Apr 30, 2017
ikemesit4477:
But all my thought I think it is witches and wizard that normally come to press someone, can I say African mentality so to say!
So you quoted Everything to give us this four lines shocked

4 Likes

Re: This Is Why You Wake Up At Night Unable To Move. by avalontony(m): 8:07am On Apr 30, 2017
*BLOOD OF JESUS* na d sure way...... Back2back

3 Likes

Re: This Is Why You Wake Up At Night Unable To Move. by Rexling(m): 8:12am On Apr 30, 2017
Hmmmmm,thought it was spiritual o.My own:d stuff wil cover my nostrils and i see myself struggling and trying hard to breath.Wil b struggllin to breath to a pt i due say to myself"i can't mk it" voila,i wil wake up gasping for air like i jx finished marathon.
Re: This Is Why You Wake Up At Night Unable To Move. by snezBaba: 8:15am On Apr 30, 2017
There's dis one dat happened when i came back late from school (SSS1 newbie, not used to the stress). So after eating, i went straight to bed. Long story short, i woke up around 2:30 am and i couldn't move any body part (except for my eyes ?, not even sure cus my brain was somehow distorted) and i was fully aware of the environment worse still i was in heavy pains and i was sure that I'd pass out that night,my bones were very weak and aching real bad like some1 dat was hit by a German machine,the pain was unimaginable and the most terrifying thing was I couldn't call out to my mom shocked ....I started seeking forgiveness and praying 4 God to ease my death in my mind cheesy (Crazy right? pray you're never in dat kinda pain)
This continued till around 4.00 am and i suddenly lost track of time and met myself awake at 5am sumtin like my soul was returned to a non-conscious body.
I NEVER thought it was some DIABOLICAL stuff. Funny thing was i didn't wake up with the body pains, it was like nothing happened and I assumed that it was my brain reacting to EXTREME STRESS in the most abnormal way.
cc: Lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: This Is Why You Wake Up At Night Unable To Move. by Onyenna(m): 8:20am On Apr 30, 2017
EmmySparky:
Honestly i have been through this a lot of times...i sometimes shout in it but not a word is heard in the real world...i would be calling someone walking in the real world in my room but the person would just walk past me...it scares the crap outta me and i hope i never experience it again

It happened to me many years ago[jss2 or so]....i was facing the ceiling...I just couldn't move a single muscle in my body so i just shouted "JESUS!!" ...next thing I knew, my body was free....BUT, the funny thing is, my brothers were in that same room but they didn't hear me shout.....weird...

BTW:: i no longer face the ceiling while sleeping.....as in NEVER!

1 Like

Re: This Is Why You Wake Up At Night Unable To Move. by gudnex22(m): 8:23am On Apr 30, 2017
k
Re: This Is Why You Wake Up At Night Unable To Move. by Zaitoon: 8:24am On Apr 30, 2017
Sleep paralysis is like waking up dead, your mind is awake and conscious of things around you but your body can't move.

You feel tired and restless afterwards, I'm happy it doesn't happen to me anymore, very annoying thing cry
Re: This Is Why You Wake Up At Night Unable To Move. by SolexxBarry(m): 8:44am On Apr 30, 2017
I av neva experienced it b4 an I pray I don't
Re: This Is Why You Wake Up At Night Unable To Move. by brandonobi(m): 8:57am On Apr 30, 2017
Im not sure mine is d same but it goes like this, I would always be in a dream, in the dream i can't move properly, like theres a magnetic force pulling me to lie down, my eyes would be closing and I would be forcing it open, in reality I'm trying to open my eyes and move but my eyes can't stay open, can't get up either, like I'm kinda trapped in the dream while trying to wake up

1 Like

Re: This Is Why You Wake Up At Night Unable To Move. by snezBaba: 9:21am On Apr 30, 2017
Zaitoon:
Sleep paralysis is like waking up dead, your mind is awake and conscious of things around you but your body can't move.

You feel tired and restless afterwards, I'm happy it doesn't happen to me anymore, very annoying thing cry
Indeed, it's terrifying but to me its kinda fun to remember.
where's Lalasticlala sef
Re: This Is Why You Wake Up At Night Unable To Move. by Nobody: 9:27am On Apr 30, 2017
Zaitoon:

You feel tired and restless afterwards,
I'm happy it doesn't happen to me anymore, very annoying thing cry

Exactly!

I experienced it years ago but not anymore. I use to be very religious then, so I thought witches were pressing me - which is the common belief among Christians.

Now I know better.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is Why You Wake Up At Night Unable To Move. by skylane: 9:46am On Apr 30, 2017
My people do not be decieved by another man's carnality,some cud be mere sleep paralysis,but I assure some are evil forces afilliated,av experienced it times,hav u asked urself why does it happen weneva u sleep facing up?look even the whites who don't believe in such might have demons far dan we africans,there are some demons in charge of dis exp,I hav gone so far in researching abt demons,and hav even encountered,wen I thought dey were just a myth,succubus,incubus (night sex demons)hav hand in dese,please pray weneva it happens,neva look at it with mere eyes

1 Like

Re: This Is Why You Wake Up At Night Unable To Move. by DrObum(m): 10:53am On Apr 30, 2017
skylane:
My people do not be decieved by another man's carnality,some cud be mere sleep paralysis,but I assure some are evil forces afilliated,av experienced it times,hav u asked urself why does it happen weneva u sleep facing up?look even the whites who don't believe in such might have demons far dan we africans,there are some demons in charge of dis exp,I hav gone so far in researching abt demons,and hav even encountered,wen I thought dey were just a myth,succubus,incubus (night sex demons)hav hand in dese,please pray weneva it happens,neva look at it with mere eyes
Oga, use your brain nah.

Medical literature has documented this ages ago. And it doesn't only happen when you're facing up in sleep.

2 Likes

Re: This Is Why You Wake Up At Night Unable To Move. by Oluwakemian: 11:04am On Apr 30, 2017

1 Like

Re: This Is Why You Wake Up At Night Unable To Move. by EmmySparky(m): 11:20am On Apr 30, 2017
Onyenna:

It happened to me many years ago[jss2 or so]....i was facing the ceiling...I just couldn't move a single muscle in my body so i just shouted "JESUS!!" ...next thing I knew, my body was free....BUT, the funny thing is, my brothers were in that same room but they didn't hear me shout.....weird...

BTW:: i no longer face the ceiling while sleeping.....as in NEVER!
lol its not about facing the ceiling...i beleive there is a science behind it cos it has happened to me in all positions

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2018/2019 Waec Practicals For Chemistry, Physics And Others* *get In Here* / Study In CHINA On 100% Tuition Fee Scholarship For Prospective Students / National Geographic: The Continents If All The Ice On Earth Melted(Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.